Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/3/2006 9:58:31 AM EDT
In case some of you folks wanna see some of my pics, here goes.

UP 4141 in Ft Worth, Texas

A BNSF GP39-2 and GP38-2 pull a military train with 6 M1A2 Abrams MBTs in Saginaw, Texas

Fort Worth Western Railroad (FWWR) is a shortline that works in and FTW.  They name all their locomotives after famous and infamous FTW icons

I'll add more later, if you like 'em
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice shots. I've loved trains ever since I was a little boy.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:24:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I love trains to...so much power, so loud of horns..........
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice photos, cool hobby.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#4]
cool pics

railroads were never my thing (i like airplanes)  but great shots nonetheless!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#5]
More! More!

BTW, here are some of my own. Not as good as yours, though:

www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=2179
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Great shots!

Any photos of Erie-Lackawanna trains?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:17:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Hi,

I saw 4141 and the other two locomotives with the historic paint schemes (MKT & MoPac) coming out of the yard near Vickery st. a few days ago.

Lots of great train watching in Ft.Worth. I've always loved trains too. At one point when I was frustrated with my current carreer I tried to get on with UP or BNSF. I got called for an interview but it was in Galveston and I didn't want to move down there. After that I got a promotion so I decided to stay with what I'm doing now.

Today I saw a single UP locomotive pulling a restored UP passenger car heading north towards Ft.Worth. It might be in the yard overnight if you want to try and catch a look at it. The car looked like it used to be a club car or maybe a diner. It had a dome for a sat dish on the roof. Very cool. I think they call those "business cars" now. I wonder what kind of "business" goes on in there with all the railroad exec's.....

Don't forget to keep an eye over your shoulder when watching trains near tower 55 or by the yards,
those are not safe areas.

Be safe,

Flyer
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
In case some of you folks wanna see some of my pics, here goes.

UP 4141 in Ft Worth, Texas
i10.photobucket.com/albums/a113/Francesux/100B3053.jpg

A BNSF GP39-2 and GP38-2 pull a military train with 6 M1A2 Abrams MBTs in Saginaw, Texas
i10.photobucket.com/albums/a113/Francesux/100B3163.jpg

Fort Worth Western Railroad (FWWR) is a shortline that works in and FTW.  They name all their locomotives after famous and infamous FTW icons
i10.photobucket.com/albums/a113/Francesux/100_3063.jpg

I'll add more later, if you like 'em

UP 4141 looks like one of the new SD70ACE's. Is there more in the presidential scheme?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#9]
There's something wrong with a guy (boy?) who doesn't like trains.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#10]
How about some info on the George Bush engine...pretty please?

ByteTheBullet   (-:
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#11]
This is very cool.  I did not realize how many other train buffs there are on this board.  Thank  you for the pics.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Neat stuff.
Thanks for sharing and please post more pics.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:43:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

ByteTheBullet   (-:

The 4141 was commisioned by the UP as a salute to President George Bush and painted by WSOR in Horicon WI.  CEO Dick Davison and GW Sr. are long time friends and associates.  It was shipped to Ft. Worth covered with a custom tarp and unveiled during the opening ceremony of Bush Sr.'s Presidential Library.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#14]
     I always thought it would be cool as hell to mount a train horn on my truck.  You would need an air compressor to run the damn thing but when you pulled that cord people on the other side of town would hear you.

I decided against it because of size issues and because I thought that I might give some poor old lady a heart attack.  

One of my favorite sounds is the train horn blasting as it enters the town in the middle of the night.  I am totally serious, I don't mind it a bit, even if it wakes me up.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ByteTheBullet   (-:

The 4141 was commisioned by the UP as a salute to President George Bush and painted by WSOR in Horicon WI.  CEO Dick Davison and GW Sr. are long time friends and associates.  It was shipped to Ft. Worth covered with a custom tarp and unveiled during the opening ceremony of Bush Sr.'s Presidential Library.

How the heck do you ship a locomotive?!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#16]
When a locomotive is shipped, it just rides the rails, usually linked with other locos pulling a train.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:15:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
     I always thought it would be cool as hell to mount a train horn on my truck.  

Welcome to HornBlasters.com, home of the fastest growing air horn retailer in the world. We specialize in train air horns and onboard air supply for any applications that require robust performance, efficiency, and durability. Our packages are designed with you in mind! All packages include all the necessary hardware, extensive installation diagrams and are easily scaled for any application.

www.hornblasters.com/
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ByteTheBullet   (-:

How the heck do you ship a locomotive?!

DIT (Dead In Tow).  IOW, it was moved like a boxcar.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:35:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Very neat...I have loved trains since I was little.

Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Plenty more where this came from...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
UP 4141 looks like one of the new SD70ACE's. Is there more in the presidential scheme?

It is indeed an SD70ACe.  It and 3 other SD70ACe's were put into what the UP calls the "Heritage Fleet".  4141 was the only put into Air Force 1 scheme(known as Rail Force 1).  The other 3 were painted in colors of railroads UP either bought or mrged with.  UP 1982 is painted in Missouri Pacific(MoPac) colors, UP 1983 was painted in Western Pacific colors(never seen it, its stuck in Commiefornia), and UP 1988 painted in Missouri, Kansas, Texas(The Katy) colors.

UP 1982

UP 1988...two pics because I have a fondness for the Katy

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:47:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Hi,

I saw 4141 and the other two locomotives with the historic paint schemes (MKT & MoPac) coming out of the yard near Vickery st. a few days ago.

Lots of great train watching in Ft.Worth. I've always loved trains too. At one point when I was frustrated with my current carreer I tried to get on with UP or BNSF. I got called for an interview but it was in Galveston and I didn't want to move down there. After that I got a promotion so I decided to stay with what I'm doing now.

Today I saw a single UP locomotive pulling a restored UP passenger car heading north towards Ft.Worth. It might be in the yard overnight if you want to try and catch a look at it. The car looked like it used to be a club car or maybe a diner. It had a dome for a sat dish on the roof. Very cool. I think they call those "business cars" now. I wonder what kind of "business" goes on in there with all the railroad exec's.....

Don't forget to keep an eye over your shoulder when watching trains near tower 55 or by the yards,
those are not safe areas.

Be safe,

Flyer

That yard off of Vickery is known as the Centenial Yard.  It was MoPac a long time ago, and when owned by them, it was called the Lancaster Yard.  On its 100 birthday, some 25 years ago, the name was officially chaned to Centenial.

As of Monday, Feb. 27th, the UP railroad put up private property sighns in that lil area on the south side of the yard.  We are no longer allowed to go there.  Fucking UP!  A bunch of my Special Agent friends said they'd try and get them taken down, but I dont hold out much hope.  Not only was that spot good for railfans, but alot of people brought their lil kids to see the trains.  UP is ruining this new generation in what they claim is a "security measure".  Its bullshit, they just want to flaunt authority.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:04:38 PM EDT
[#23]
tag
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
More! More!

You have some excellent shots!

The sorry assed kraut owner of that site banned me because I have too manypics.  He says he only allows tat many pics for people he knows.  Fuck Starnes.  He is in for the money, not the photographs.  Note all the pop ups, ad bars, and the soliciting for RP elite.

He may not have deleted my last account there, try a search for SigSauerP226.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#25]
More pics

Burlington Northern and Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe merged in the mid-90's spawning BNSF.  Its rare to find locomotives on the BNSF roster still not "patched" or painted with the BNSF patch on them.  I think theres only 7 actual ATSF locomotives left, and maybe 200 unpatched BNs out of a 9,000 unit roster.

This is a new new series of locomotives by GE caled the Evolution Series.  Its their answer to the SD70ACe.  This one is called the ES44AC, and its in BNSFs new scheme  These units were 10 days out of the GE shops and both broke down.  GE sux!

This one goes out to our main BN Man, Boomer.  A rare unpatched BN SD40-2

This is a BNSF SD45-2.  I took this on Monday, the last day of the latest Hun Farm event, as I was going home.  8 hours after I shot this locomotive it was destroyed in a wreck and fre, so I'm told.  

Saturday, when I went into town for stuffs, ILL wondered why I was gone so long....
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:43:13 PM EDT
[#26]
As I explained in the last group of photos, finding unpatched, pre-merger, locomotives is tough.  Here are three.

Old Warriors.

An unpatched St. Louis Southwestern(SSW), otherwise known as The Cotton belt GP60.  SSW was owned by Southern Pacific.  When SP got bought out by UP, UP got SSW too.

An unpatched SP GP60

Denver Rio Grande Western railroad has no more unpatched units left.  the last one was patched last month.  It was a truly sad day in railroading.  This unit is privately owned by a grain elevator in Saginaw, Texas.  An SW1200, it is 50+ years old.  As far as I know, they have no plans to screw with it.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#27]
It is truly amazing if you think about how many railroads have been literally sucked up in the big UP/BNSF vacuums in the last 20 years.  I really do miss seeing the many different road schemes in travels.

I was born and raised in Denver, so your last pic of the D&RGW yard switcher hit the spot.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#28]
4 more tonight

This unit is run by Dallas, Garland, & Northeastern.  Where as FWWR works on the FTW side, DGNO, or The Dingo, works Dallas and to the north and east.  This is the flagship for Dingo.  they dont have a set paint scheme, so its a hodge podge of colors.

This is a UP local switcher, GP15-1(former MoPac).  It was taken just south of Downtown Dallas, after a very intense, by Texas standards, thunderstorm.  I dunno why I like, but I do.

This is a beast.  A DDA40X.  The biggest, most powerful locomotive ever built.  6,600 hp.  It wasnt a great locomotive though.  All that horsepower, and no tractive power.  If you aint got enough tractive effort, the wheels will spin, but wont adhere to the rails.  UP donated this one to the Age of Steam museum in Fair park(Dallas), because it had a catastrophic breakdown.  They have it almost running again.  UP keeps one of these monsters on the roster for specail VIP trains.  Its stored in Council Bluffs, Iowa.

Rolling shitter.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Nice pics man, Something special about seeing this country of ours from an engine car, instead of from 30,000ft in a 747.  

Semper Paratus
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:46:03 PM EDT
[#30]
In the 90's, cabooses were almost toally replaced.  What replaced them was a small "box" on the end of the train, that had a small micro processor and a purdy red flashing light.  They are formally called EOTs(End of Train devices), but most call them FREDs(Flashing Rear End Devices).  You can still find cabooses on trains that switch long yards that cross many public roads.  When the train has to back across these roads, you need someone back there as a safety precaution(and a scapegoat).

This

replaced this

Now, how about some 60+ year old power.  This oldie is in Dallas, working for a cement company.  I have a videos of this and the DRGW switcher posted earlier, working and blowing those old horns.  If anybody wants one, send an IM.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:56:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm neglecting the one other Class 1 railroad that owns trackage in Texas.  The Kansas City Southern operates on trackage as far west as Haslet, Texas, at BNSFs mega yard, Alliance yard.  It owns tackage from Chicago to some ports in Mexico, on both the Gulf of Mexico and Pacific side.  This is a true railroad to watch.

GP40-2 in Krum, Texas, at the end of the line for KCS owned trackage.

This is one of KCS' few big ass diesels.  This is an AC4400CW.  4400hp and AC traction.  Its a GE though

Norfolk Southern, a product of the mega mergers doesnt own any trackage in Texas, but they have waht is known as "trackage rights".  This is brand new SD70M-2.  It looks similar to an SD70ACe, but the M-2s dont have AC traction.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:58:54 PM EDT
[#32]
These days, pics like that can have homeland security all up in your sphincter.  

Nice pics, but watch out for the JBT's who will detain and harass you.  You are committing a crime - believe it or not.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:03:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for posting those pictures.  The old Cotton Belt building in Tyler, Texas, is now gov offices.  However, the kept the Cotton Belt name on it.

I grew up in Temple, Texas.  We had stations for ATSF and the MKT.  Back in the late 50's and early 60's, you could see some great old running stock out there.

Do you have any Rock Island pics?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#34]
These two pics are what happens when you let locomotives go.

This first one is a BNSF Dash 9-44CW.  Thats translates to Dash 9 technology(computers and shit), and a 4400 hp prime mover.  BNSF bought into these heavily.  They are an ok locomotive at best, but we call them Trash 9's

This particular unit sliced right through a tanker truck loaded with flammables.  It f'ed up the front end real bad, and burned the shit out of the locomotive, but both crew members walked away unharmed.  We call it the "burn bonnet".  ATSF fans will get it.

This is a "Phase 1" SD70ACe, its one of the first ordered buy UP.  Its called a phase 1 because it has earlier safety tape on it.  The red bar you see, going around the locomotive, is reflective tap.  To flaunt its authority, in a real st00pid way, the FRA mandated that all locomotives and rolling freight, from here on(until they change it again) must have either yellow or white reflective tape.  People have a tendency to fdrive into parked trains at night and in daytime.

Thats all for today
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:06:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Scary isn't it... I used to put change on the tracks...I always wanted to but a penny and a quarter together and see if they'd "fuse" together....aw-well...Thanks for the pics, trains are neato...
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:15:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Here's some I'm proud of. The actual film picture is sharp... the scans are not so clear, but are smaller file size.

This one was not so clear, but I like the subject, so I saved it.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#37]
These are all very good pics.

I don't know yet for sure why, but over the years I've made the following observation: if someone is strongly interested in guns, they are unusually likely to also be very interested in trains (and/or planes, and/or - to a lesser extent - coin collecting).
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:19:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
These are all very good pics.

I don't know yet for sure why, but over the years I've made the following observation: if someone is strongly interested in guns, they are unusually likely to also be very interested in trains (and/or planes, and/or - to a lesser extent - coin collecting).

I've noticed that, too.  By the way, awesome pics FAIL-SAFE.  I remember a member of this site who went by the nick of "Boomer" who was a huge railroad buff.  He must have found greener pastures, 'cause I know he would've posted something in this thread were he still around.  Keep the pics coming, I thoroughly enjoy them!!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:31:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Great pics guys! You railroad lovin, AR shootin types really know how to sponsor a fantastic thread.

Here's a few of my own RR pics...

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:36:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Sorry guys, just can't resist posting a couple from the basement RR as well.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:36:58 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
You are committing a crime - believe it or not.

No I'm not.  the 1st Ammendment allows that anything seen from public property can be photographed.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
More pics

Burlington Northern and Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe merged in the mid-90's spawning BNSF.  Its rare to find locomotives on the BNSF roster still not "patched" or painted with the BNSF patch on them.  I think theres only 7 actual ATSF locomotives left, and maybe 200 unpatched BNs out of a 9,000 unit roster.

This is a new new series of locomotives by GE caled the Evolution Series.  Its their answer to the SD70ACe.  This one is called the ES44AC, and its in BNSFs new scheme  These units were 10 days out of the GE shops and both broke down.  GE sux!

i51.photobucket.com/albums/f393/BriansTrainPix/100_2399.jpg

i51.photobucket.com/albums/f393/BriansTrainPix/100B3272.jpg

This is a BNSF SD45-2.  I took this on Monday, the last day of the latest Hun Farm event, as I was going home.  8 hours after I shot this locomotive it was destroyed in a wreck and fre, so I'm told.  

i51.photobucket.com/albums/f393/BriansTrainPix/100_3419.jpg

Saturday, when I went into town for stuffs, ILL wondered why I was gone so long....

Just had the AVP of Training From Overland Park on my train the other day.He said the Evolutions are running around 98-99% without mechanical problems.He said that is unheard of for a new series of engines just hitting the road.Most of the time its much lower because they are still working out the kinks.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:42:31 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
     I always thought it would be cool as hell to mount a train horn on my truck.  You would need an air compressor to run the damn thing but when you pulled that cord people on the other side of town would hear you.

I decided against it because of size issues and because I thought that I might give some poor old lady a heart attack.  

One of my favorite sounds is the train horn blasting as it enters the town in the middle of the night.  I am totally serious, I don't mind it a bit, even if it wakes me up.

I want one but the cheapest decent one I've found is in the $300 range.  
Heres a link to a prank vid. some kids did with a loud horn.  (not sure if its a train but its still loud)

http://www.compfused.com/directlink/943/horn blasters
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
More pics

Just had the AVP of Training From Overland Park on my train the other day.He said the Evolutions are running around 98-99% without mechanical problems.He said that is unheard of for a new series of engines just hitting the road.Most of the time its much lower because they are still working out the kinks.

Down here, its actually quite common to see ES44ACs and DCs with their doors upon because something isnt working correctly.  Even UP, who calls their ES44ACs, C45ACCTE's are having problems with them.  Those two BNSF ES44AC units I shot were 10 days off the production line according to the mechanics on scene and the Saginaw Yard master.  He wasnt too thrilled because they were clogging up his line.  BTW, they got the 2nd unit running, but the first one wouldnt start, so they used it to control the 2 other units up front and the unit in the DPU position at the rear.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:25:46 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
More pics

Down here, its actually quite common to see ES44ACs and DCs with their doors upon because something isnt working correctly.  Even UP, who calls their ES44ACs, C45ACCTE's are having problems with them.  Those two BNSF ES44AC units I shot were 10 days off the production line according to the mechanics on scene and the Saginaw Yard master.  He wasnt too thrilled because they were clogging up his line.  BTW, they got the 2nd unit running, but the first one wouldnt start, so they used it to control the 2 other units up front and the unit in the DPU position at the rear.

I dont doubt your story.We have them on every coal train that comes through anymore, no problems on our end.Seems like the Sd-70's are always blowing traction motors or main res. or something.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:30:10 PM EDT
[#47]
ever been hassled by JBTs for taking pictures of "vunerable infrastructure"?

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:31:30 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
More! More!

You have some excellent shots!

The sorry assed kraut owner of that site banned me because I have too manypics.  He says he only allows tat many pics for people he knows.  Fuck Starnes.  He is in for the money, not the photographs.  Note all the pop ups, ad bars, and the soliciting for RP elite.

He may not have deleted my last account there, try a search for SigSauerP226.

Thanks for the kind words!

I found your account after a brief search. Some of those pics look familiar...

I like that SP Tunnel Motor; I've always been a fan of the SD45. I've seen them a few times up here when I didn't have a camera with me, but I'll eventually be able to document that.

Too bad about the attitude on that site. I've noticed that they are very picky about which photos they allow on their site. The funny thing is that while I have had some photos rejected for various reasons, after resubmission they are often approved anyway. I have often felt as if there was a certain "clique," and that they don't want just anyone to have enough photos archived to be listed as a photographer there.    
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:35:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Fun pics, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:04:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Nice!!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top