www.nbc5i.com/news/8034788/detail.html
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:20:40 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Looks like you cant drink in bars any more either

Paging Ron White......
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#2]
That'll really help the bar's bottom line.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:23:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Holy Shit! I've been so drunk in bars that the waitress had to pour my beer for me!!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:26:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Here in this town we have The St Paddys day run,we start at one bar and make our way across town,having a shot at each bar. This has been going on for years,last year the police started arresting people for being drunk in public. Most likley has to do with the churches in town,trying to have things their way.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, then, what the hell good are they?

CO
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:28:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:29:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow, that is some bullshit. Guess there is nothing better for cops to do in TX these days than harrass citizens.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:31:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Here in this town we have The St Paddys day run...

Our local Irish pub is such a problem spot that we staff the event area with 6 cops on foot patrol and bill the bar $900.00 per officer for the OT.

Last year at 9PM the bar owner asked the Sgt to drive him to the bank to make the night deposit becuase they already had $200,000.00 cash on hand!!!

With 6 of us there we wil still arrest several people for DUI, fights, sex assaults, drug possession, disorderly conduct, ect. Its a zoo.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Irving? I hope they don't do this in any of the northern suburbs, damned TABC.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Wow, that is some bullshit. Guess there is nothing better for cops to do in TX these days than harrass citizens.

In most states it is illegal for a bar to serve an obviously intoxicant person. The elements of the crime fro Drunk is public is unable to care for yourself.  not simply intoxicated.

If someone is passed out in the bar bathroom or under the tables, coverd in his own vomit or piss/shit  he shouldnt get a ticket?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#11]
What a load of bullshit. What if I'm not driving?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:35:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Then if you leave the bar on foot you get charged with public intoxication.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell I will just find a quiet boothe and sleep there the whole night.

What a bunch of shit.  Go after the childmolesters and rapists and leave us drunks alone.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:38:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In most states it is illegal for a bar to serve an obviously intoxicant person. The elements of the crime fro Drunk is public is unable to care for yourself.  not simply intoxicated.

If someone is passed out in the bar bathroom or under the tables, coverd in his own vomit or piss/shit  he shouldnt get a ticket?

Started early, did we?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:41:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I'm aware of the legalities of serving an "obviously intoxicated" person, I worked as a licensed bartender for several years & I've cut many people off. That doesn't change the fact that what the TX cops did was bullshit.

IMO, no. If it were my bar I'd pack the guy into a cab and send him home. Obviously you feel differently.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:42:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell I will just find a quiet boothe and sleep there the whole night.

What a bunch of shit.  Go after the childmolesters and rapists and leave us drunks alone.

Reminds me of something that happened to a friend of mine; he was in a bar when two patrons got in a fight, naturally the police were called. Once the police had the fight handled they then made everyone who wished to leave take a breathalyzer test. My friend (who wasn't driving) was drunk but as he couldn't leave he sat at the bar drinking water for hours till he felt he was sober enough to pass.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like you cant drink in bars any more either

Paging Ron White......

I don't want to be drunk in public.  I want to be drunk in a bar.  Arrest them!

I love the way he says "public."

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:46:37 PM EDT
[#18]

If someone is passed out in the bar bathroom or under the tables, coverd in his own vomit or piss/shit he shouldnt get a ticket?

Hell no they shouldn't get a ticket!  Why should the state or local popos get money off someone because they're drunk?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:53:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Are they going to go into the public restrooms and ticket people for indecent exposure and public urination?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

If someone is passed out in the bar bathroom or under the tables, coverd in his own vomit or piss/shit he shouldnt get a ticket?

Hell no they shouldn't get a ticket!  Why should the state or local popos get money off someone because they're drunk?

Because the cops have to babysit his drunk ass for the next 4-6 hours until he's sober eneough to care for himself. Meaning there are two less cops ptrolling your city.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#21]
What....tHE....FUCK?!!!!!  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:58:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I'm aware of the legalities of serving an "obviously intoxicated" person, I worked as a licensed bartender for several years & I've cut many people off. That doesn't change the fact that what the TX cops did was bullshit.

IMO, no. If it were my bar I'd pack the guy into a cab and send him home.

Hey thats great if you want to help out a customer tyhat way. just please do a couple things first to help out the cops & fire department.

1.  pay the cabby unfront so it doesnt turn into a theft of services when the drunk gets home and has no money to pay or tries to run off.

2.  call the guys house to make sure someone is there to care for him so he doesnt injure himself in a fall or die choking on his own vomit.

3. Slip the cabby a little extra to clean the piss/shit/vomit out of his cab.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Because the cops have to babysit his drunk ass for the next 4-6 hours until he's sober eneough to care for himself. Meaning there are two less cops ptrolling your city.

Then maybe the cops should stay out on the streets patrolling the city instead of going into bars for the sole purpose of harrassing patrons who, for all the cops know, were ten minutes away from calling a cab to go home.

Sounds like this city has too many cops anyway if that is all they can find to do to fill their shift.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:03:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A lot of my friends are bartenders, you'd be surprised what they get held accountable for, just for a drunk staggering in.  Even if they don't serve them, I've seen many times the police coming in and practically shutting the place down, because some asshole did something stupid and claimed they got drunk there.
A few weeks ago in a bar  run by a friend,  In come the police after closing asking if they remembered this one asshole.  He was shitfaced and claimed he just left to find his car stolen.  They bartender asked his name, and it turned out he payed with a credit card.  He cashed out and left hours ago.  It turned out he tried to drive home and crashed his car.  He walked back to the bar, and called the cops around the corner at a payphone and said his car was stolen.
Don't just blame the cops.  A lot of stupid people helped make the situation fucked up.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#25]
How can someone be charged for public intoxication if they are intoxicated on private property?

I hate how our legal system has twisted the definition of "public."

Unless the govenrment owns that particular bar then it is not "public" it is a private business.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:27:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Agents and officers said the operation represented an effort to reduce drunken driving.

Sgt. Chris Hamilton, of the TABC, said some inebriated bar patrons "end up killing themselves or someone else" after departing the businesses.

Notice the utter contempt for the citizenry.  I'd better arrest them for public intoxication because, in the future, they will make a bad decision and kill someone.  Note, the possibility of a citizen getting drunk in a bar and then acting responsibly by calling a cab hasn't occurred to officer hero here.  I wonder if they are enforcing the same policy in the local cop bars.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:30:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Are they going to go into the public restrooms and ticket people for indecent exposure and public urination?

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IMO, no. If it were my bar I'd pack the guy into a cab and send him home. Obviously you feel differently.

Yeah, because when he gets home, pukes into his lungs and dies, guess whose fault it will be?

In some states, VA, .08 or .10, will get you "drunk in public".

Others you have to be incapactiitated to be charged.

In WI if you are incapacitated, you get taken to detox or a hospital, not a criminal offense.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:38:34 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
How can someone be charged for public intoxication if they are intoxicated on private property?

Unless the govenrment owns that particular bar then it is not "public" it is a private business.

Because a business that is open to the public has a different expectation of privacy than someplace that is open to the public.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:42:25 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, because when he gets home, pukes into his lungs and dies, guess whose fault it will be?

In some states, VA, .08 or .10, will get you "drunk in public".

Others you have to be incapactiitated to be charged.

In WI if you are incapacitated, you get taken to detox or a hospital, not a criminal offense.

I have no problem with arresting someone if they are drunk in public and causing a large disturbance, otherwise leave them alone. I'm sure its all for public safety huh?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:42:34 PM EDT
[#31]
What state has a crazy law like this?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:46:07 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

State alcohol cops go after child molesters?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

State alcohol cops go after child molesters?

I don't know about TX, but the local cops here will go to bars and hand out MIPs and stuff.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:48:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Any fuckwad cop who arrests someone in a bar for MERELY (not fighting or otherwise causing a ruckus) being drunk, deserves to have the shit kicked out them coming home from the grocery store some night.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:50:12 PM EDT
[#35]
I think I need to call my state rep.  I've found some pork in the budget that needs cutting.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Public intoxication is for being in a public place not on public property.  By your reasoning it would be okay to have sex in the middle of Wal-Mart parking lot in front of young children because it is private property. If the public has access, then it is a public place.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:28:31 PM EDT
[#37]
I would love to know if any of those undercover officers who "shared" tables with the folks arrested bought them drinks. Can you say "entrapment?"
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:41:51 PM EDT
[#38]

The report also said that some agents shared tables with suspected drunken patrons. Some patrons were subjected to field sobriety tests inside bars.

Agents and officers said the operation represented an effort to reduce drunken driving.

Sgt. Chris Hamilton, of the TABC, said some inebriated bar patrons "end up killing themselves or someone else" after departing the businesses.

What bullshit.  "Public intoxication" requires that you be so drunk as to be a danger to yourself or others.  If the cop feels the need to perform a field sobriety test to see if someones drunk, they're not there yet.  What we have here are arrests in violation of the Fourth Amendment.  There's a bunch of damn TABC agents and Irving cops who need a little time out in jail to think about the difference between arresting someone because he has committed a crime and because he might commit a crime.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#39]
The legal definition of PI in Texas (Texas Penal Code § 49.02):

§ 49.02. PUBLIC INTOXICATION.  (a) A person commits an
offense if the person appears in a public place while intoxicated to
the degree that the person may endanger the person or another
(b)  It is a defense to prosecution under this section that
the alcohol or other substance was administered for therapeutic
purposes and as a part of the person's professional medical
treatment by a licensed physician.
(c)  Except as provided by Subsection (e), an offense under
this section is a Class C misdemeanor.
(d)  An offense under this section is not a lesser included
offense under Section 49.04.
(e)  An offense under this section committed by a person
younger than 21 years of age is punishable in the same manner as if
the minor committed an offense to which Section 106.071, Alcoholic
Beverage Code, applies.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:09:14 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Any fuckwad cop who arrests someone in a bar for MERELY (not fighting or otherwise causing a ruckus) being drunk, deserves to have the shit kicked out them coming home from the grocery store some night.  

So you think your going to enjoy being a grown-up after you get out of high school?  Because you sure are being  immature for a sophomore here.

I suggest you pay attention next year when you take Civics.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:11:39 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Notice the utter contempt for the citizenry.  I'd better arrest them for public intoxication because, in the future, they will make a bad decision and kill someone.  Note, the possibility of a citizen getting drunk in a bar and then acting responsibly by calling a cab hasn't occurred to officer hero here.  I wonder if they are enforcing the same policy in the local cop bars.

No thats utter contempt for the drunks, who deserve it.  Notice they have already shown they are unable to make adult decisions.  Expecting them to sober up enough to call a cab is like believing in the Tooth Fairy and Easter Bunny.  They got to that condition being stupid, why expect them mto change? especially when drunk?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:12:50 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Dude, you hit the nail right on the head with that statement.  

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:13:22 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Part of the rules that business agrees to abide by when it is licensed. The bar is public in that  anyone of age may enter from the street during business hours. It is not a private club such as the Elks, VFW or whatever, where you need to be a member or guest of a member to be present.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:15:28 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

No thats utter contempt for the drunks, who deserve it.  Notice they have already shown they are unable to make adult decisions.  Expecting them to sober up enough to call a cab is like believing in the Tooth Fairy and Easter Bunny.  They got to that condition being stupid, why expect them mto change? especially when drunk?

What a load of shit.  I've been falling down puking drunk before and I NEVER even thought of getting into a car and driving home.  Its the people who don't think they're drunk yet that are the problem.  Seriously, have you never been drunk before?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Dallas Area is dieing on the vine. The control freaks in office are getting stupid.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:21:43 PM EDT
[#46]
In my city you can be arrested for being drunk in your own home.  Not by the police, but by your family or roomates. "Drunk in a private home to the annoyance of others" The victim/complaintant must sign an order of arrest and the cops transport the suspect to jail on that order.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:24:55 PM EDT
[#47]
I guess next they will be saying people cannot get drunk in their own home
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
In my city you can be arrested for being drunk in your own home.  Not by the police, but by your family or roomates. "Drunk in a private home to the annoyance of others" The victim/complaintant must sign an order of arrest and the cops transport the suspect to jail on that order.

That law is tyrannical in nature.  Seriously, at some point the state has to butt out and let people handle their own problems.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

If that was from anywhere in the US besides CA I wouldn't believe it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That law is tyrannical in nature.  Seriously, at some point the state has to butt out and let people handle their own problems.

The ironic thing is in California we dont arrest for so many things other states do. For example in some states those who are under 21 and have been drinking alcohol can be ticketed for something called "minor consumption."  We dont have that here.  in fact its legal for those under 21 to drink inside a private home. I have a hard time wrapping my head around how a 20 year old man can get a ticket because he drank alcohol at some point earlier in the night.  Hell, how do they establish what juristiction the "crime" occured it? Jusyt because he has a measurable amount of alcohol is his system doesnt mean he necessarily consumed that alcohol in your city/county/state.  Issues like that is why in my state we cant arrests for most misdemeanors not committed in our presence with the exception of DUI, Domestic violence, Child Abuse and violations of court orders.

We dont jail people for marijuana possession, unlicensed or suspended driver, minor in possession, open container or drunk in public like many states do.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top