Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/8/2006 5:54:07 PM EDT
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=C3HY5I431EHHRQFIQMGSFFWAVCBQWIV0?xml=/news/2006/04/09/wbush09.xml&sSheet=/portal/2006/04/09/ixportaltop.html

Bush 'is planning nuclear strikes on Iran's secret sites'
By Philip Sherwell in Washington
(Filed: 09/04/2006)

The Bush administration is planning to use nuclear weapons against Iran, to prevent it acquiring its own atomic warheads, claims an investigative writer with high-level Pentagon and intelligence contacts.

President George W Bush is said to be so alarmed by the threat of Iran's hard-line leader, Mahmoud Ahmedinejad, that privately he refers to him as "the new Hitler", says Seymour Hersh, who broke the story of the Abu Ghraib Iraqi prisoner abuse scandal.

Mahmoud Ahmedinejad: 'The new Hitler'

Some US military chiefs have unsuccessfully urged the White House to drop the nuclear option from its war plans, Hersh writes in The New Yorker magazine. The conviction that Mr Ahmedinejad would attack Israel or US forces in the Middle East, if Iran obtains atomic weapons, is what drives American planning for the destruction of Teheran's nuclear programme.

Hersh claims that one of the plans, presented to the White House by the Pentagon, entails the use of a bunker-buster tactical nuclear weapon, such as the B61-11, against underground nuclear sites. One alleged target is Iran's main centrifuge plant, at Natanz, 200 miles south of Teheran.

Although Iran claims that its nuclear programme is peaceful, US and European intelligence agencies are certain that Teheran is trying to develop atomic weapons. In contrast to the run-up to the Iraq invasion, there are no disagreements within Western intelligence about Iran's plans.

This newspaper disclosed recently that senior Pentagon strategists are updating plans to strike Iran's nuclear sites with long-distance B2 bombers and submarine-launched missiles. And last week, the Sunday Telegraph reported a secret meeting at the Ministry of Defence where military chiefs and officials from Downing Street and the Foreign Office discussed the consequences of an American-led attack on Iran, and Britain's role in any such action.

The military option is opposed by London and other European capitals. But there are growing fears in No 10 and the Foreign Office that the British-led push for a diplomatic solution to the Iranian nuclear stand-off, will be swept aside by hawks in Washington. Hersh says that within the Bush administration, there are concerns that even a pummelling by conventional strikes, may not sufficiently damage Iran's buried nuclear plants.

Iran has been developing a series of bunkers and facilities to provide hidden command centres for its leaders and to protect its nuclear infrastructure. The lack of reliable intelligence about these subterranean facilities, is fuelling pressure for tactical nuclear weapons to be included in the strike plans as the only guaranteed means to destroy all the sites simultaneously.

The attention given to the nuclear option has created serious misgivings among the joint chiefs of staff, and some officers have talked about resigning, Hersh has been told. The military chiefs sought to remove the nuclear option from the evolving war plans for Iran, without success, a former senior intelligence officer said.

The Pentagon consultant on the war on terror confirmed that some in the administration were looking seriously at this option, which he linked to a resurgence of interest in tactical nuclear weapons among defence department political appointees.

The election of Mr Ahmedinejad last year, has hardened attitudes within the Bush Administration. The Iranian president has said that Israel should be "wiped off the map". He has drafted in former fellow Revolutionary Guards commanders to run the nuclear programme, in further signs that he is preparing to back his threats with action.

Mr Bush and others in the White House view him as a potential Adolf Hitler, a former senior intelligence official told Hersh. "That's the name they're using. They say, 'Will Iran get a strategic weapon and threaten another world war?' "

Despite America's public commitment to diplomacy, there is a growing belief in Washington that the only solution to the crisis is regime change. A senior Pentagon consultant said that Mr Bush believes that he must do "what no Democrat or Republican, if elected in the future, would have the courage to do," and "that saving Iran is going to be his legacy".

Publicly, the US insists it remains committed to diplomacy to solve the crisis. But with Russia apparently intent on vetoing any threat of punitive action at the UN, the Bush administration is also planning for unilateral military action. Hersh repeated his claims that the US has intensified clandestine activities inside Iran, using special forces to identify targets and establish contact with anti-Teheran ethnic-minority groups.

The senior defence officials said that Mr Bush is "determined to deny Iran the opportunity to begin a pilot programme, planned for this spring, to enrich uranium".
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Can of sunshine brightens everyone's day
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Just another cold war scenario, hopefully we wont allow it to get to that point.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:02:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#4]
The nuclear option is always on the table.  Always.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:04:17 PM EDT
[#5]
The more time that goes by the more I think Bush is a raving fucking lunatic who is not fit to be a President.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#6]
It will never happen! Its just as likely as 95% of the posters here getting laid.. Never happen!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The more time that goes by the more I think Bush is a raving fucking lunatic who is not fit to be a President.

+1
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Just another cold war scenario, hopefully we wont allow it to get to that point.

Too late.

About 23 years too late.

I’m going to go with the “god will know his own” quote and say nuke their ass.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Yet another person who falls for the leftist media tripe...  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:06:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i have 0 respect for Bush due to this immigration thing.  he seems to REALLY want so sell our interests to the mexicans and globalists
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:07:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or, maybe, another person, like me, who sees that this is not a conservative President/administratiobn, is gravely disappointed in the actions/inactions of our President, and has had it up to here.  Just maybe.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:07:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Bush 'is planning nuclear strikes on Iran's secret sites'

Good!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh yes, thats definately it.
Dont be a fucking idiot man, Jesus.

All this "This or that" bullshit is incredibly childish and makes you look like nothing more then a fool.

Just because I dont like Bush doesnt make me a Democrat or a Leftist, unless your so simple minded (Which is apparently the case) you cannot fathom any options between choice A and choice B.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:09:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You hear people telling something you know is a lie long enough eventually you will start to believe them. I certainly dont agree with bush on everything, but he isnt as bad as the media makes him out to be.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:09:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The nuclear option is always on the table.  Always.

Especially when dealing with a nutcase country with WMD.

If the NCA chooses to follow this course of action, I'm all for it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh good, more members kicking the shit out of each other.

anonymity breads contempt
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Cool!
I hope we Nuke the shit out of Iran!
Can wait to see the fireworks and vids afterwords...
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All this "This or that" bullshit is incredibly childish and makes you look like nothing more then a fool.

Just because I dont like Bush doesnt make me a Democrat or a Leftist, unless your so simple minded (Which is apparently the case) you cannot fathom any options between choice A and choice B.

You are misguided…

I knew on 09/11 that Iran, Syria and Iraq would either have to change course dramatically or be changed.

All that remained is the method to get it done.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:13:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#21]
A job worth doing, is worth doing right.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i have 0 respect for Bush due to this immigration thing.  he seems to REALLY want so sell our interests to the mexicans and globalists

hard to argue with that.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:18:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are misguided…

I knew on 09/11 that Iran, Syria and Iraq would either have to change course dramatically or be changed.

All that remained is the method to get it done.

Why?
What do you think would be more effective for our country.
1) Solidly securing our borders and enforcing very strict immigration so we know who is coming and going.
2) Spending billions of dollars to go overseas and attack a country which wasnt involved in the 9/11 incident, and put us into the position where we will continue to spend billions of dollars a year for decades because we cant leave.

From where I sit option 1 is far preferable. We're already up to our ears in debt.

But all of that is neither here nor there. I understand why we're in this war and dont disagree with it. But it COMPLETELY WORTHLESS if we dont SECURE OUR OWN BORDER. We can invade any damned country we want and if we leave the doors open to our own we accomplish nothing.

Add to that the financial irresponsibility shown and all the other questionable acts and I have a hard time thinking we have the right man as President.

And the truly sad part of the whole deal?
The other option was no better.

And add to the long list of "What the fucks..." this idea....

We are going to use nukes against you so you dont get nukes.

That sounds downright assinine to me.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:19:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It will be the "fucking idiots" who get a democrat elected for president in 2008.  It will be the "fucking idiots" who lose the house and senate in 2006.  Some of you are so shortsighted in your views it is frightening.  You guys have no clue why the democrats held power in this country for so long.  Here's a clue.  They work within their party to forward their agenda.  They don't agree on everything but work together to move forward.  They don't fuck each other over when they disagree with one another.  They stand behind whoever is in office no matter what.  They don't jump ship when things get tough.  They don't whine like little babies when they don't get their way in their party.  By doing this they kept control of the US government for 50+ years.

A lot of people whining in this thread would gladly turn over this country to the liberal left just so they can jack off to their own little SHTF fantasies.  I've hear it before:  "I'll teach them a lesson and then we'll all suffer."

It's time to grow the fuck up people.  Learn how politics works and quit your fucking whining.  It's getting fucking old.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:20:05 PM EDT
[#25]
I read this on the internet, so it must be true!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It will be the "fucking idiots" who get a democrat elected for president in 2008.  It will be the "fucking idiots" who lose the house and senate in 2006.  Some of you are so shortsighted in your views it is frightening.  You guys have no clue why the democrats held power in this country for so long.  Here's a clue.  They work within their party to forward their agenda.  They don't agree on everything but work together to move forward.  They don't fuck each other over when they disagree with one another.  They stand behind whoever is in office no matter what.  They don't jump ship when things get tough.  They don't whine like little babies when they don't get their way in their party.  By doing this they kept control of the US government for 50+ years.

A lot of people whining in this thread would gladly turn over this country to the liberal left just so they can jack off to their own little SHTF fantasies.  I've hear it before:  "I'll teach them a lesson and then we'll all suffer."

It's time to grow the fuck up people.  Learn how politics works and quit your fucking whining.  It's getting fucking old.

So you admit your so simple minded you can only grasp 2 options.

Fair enough. Gotchya, if I dont like THIS option then by default I will go with THAT option.

I wish life was as simple as you make it out to be!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:22:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Yeah - right after he builds the wall on the southern border.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Anyone that takes a Seymour Hersh-inspired article at face value has serious problems.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:24:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

We're not talking life here, dude. We're talking American politics which, for better or worse, is a two-option thing.

That said, I agree with you that the situation on the southern border is simply appalling. Having LIVED there, I can tell you.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:26:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fair enough. Gotchya, if I dont like THIS option then by default I will go with THAT option.

Specop_007,

It's obvious you have no fucking clue how politics works in this country.  Good luck with that.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:26:23 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't whine??? Let me remind you of Gore, and then of Nixon 1960, where a fradulent election was proven, and Nixon kept his mouth shut and remained electable.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Would you rather have had Kerry in there ??
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:27:20 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We're not talking life here, dude. We're talking American politics which, for better or worse, is a two-option thing.

That said, I agree with you that the situation on the southern border is simply appalling. Having LIVED there, I can tell you.

Only because we make it a 2 party thing! Remember Perot? He wasnt "Option A or Option B". What about the Libertarian Party? The Green Party? How many other parties are there?

Lets be honest, how many here would rather see the Libertarian party in power as opposed to the current President? I know I for damn sure would!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only because we make it a 2 party thing! Remember Perot? He wasnt "Option A or Option B". What about the Libertarian Party? The Green Party? How many other parties are there?

Lets be honest, how many here would rather see the Libertarian party in power as opposed to the current President? I know I for damn sure would!

Yet more examples proving you have no clue how politics in this country work.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:30:06 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Specop_007,

It's obvious you have no fucking clue how politics works in this country.  Good luck with that.

Oh I do. Its ran by very smart people who play on the ignorance and stupidity of the masses to keep only 2 options available.

Thanks for supporting that system. And thanks for making sure no other party has a reasonable chance at winning. You, and 200 million others just like you.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:30:43 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Why?
What do you think would be more effective for our country.
1) Solidly securing our borders and enforcing very strict immigration so we know who is coming and going.
2) Spending billions of dollars to go overseas and attack a country which wasnt involved in the 9/11 incident, and put us into the position where we will continue to spend billions of dollars a year for decades because we cant leave.

From where I sit option 1 is far preferable. We're already up to our ears in debt.

But all of that is neither here nor there. I understand why we're in this war and dont disagree with it. But it COMPLETELY WORTHLESS if we dont SECURE OUR OWN BORDER. We can invade any damned country we want and if we leave the doors open to our own we accomplish nothing.

Add to that the financial irresponsibility shown and all the other questionable acts and I have a hard time thinking we have the right man as President.

And the truly sad part of the whole deal?
The other option was no better.

And add to the long list of "What the fucks..." this idea....

We are going to use nukes against you so you dont get nukes.

That sounds downright assinine to me.

Total leftist Bullshit!

Every fucking country in the Middle East, except Israel, was behind 9-11.  Some nations played greater roles than others, but I didn't see a damned one of their leaders, especially Sadam Hussien, condemn the attacks.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:31:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Hrm...

VS

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1   Why can't people learn to think for themselves?  Is the propaganda really that powerful?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Nuke the fuckers!

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:33:20 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Wrong....... This is what NEEDS to happen the Middle east THEY NEED to be SPANKED......Remember when Reagan was in office any kinda BS he had the B52's in the air and by the time his 8 years were up EVERYONE knew we wern't Fucking around.....Mark my words write this down before GB leaves office this whole Mid-east shit will be brought to a halt LIKE-RIGHT NOW.....You only achive peace through VICTORY
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Specop_007,

Oh I do. Its ran by very smart people who play on the ignorance and stupidity of the masses to keep only 2 options available.

Thanks for supporting that system. And thanks for making sure no other party has a reasonable chance at winning. You, and 200 million others just like you.

The only good third party candidate is the one that skims votes off of your opponent.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:34:24 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Specop_007,

So politics to you is to keep to keep drinking the cool-aid no matter what, just to spite the dems?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:34:32 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Yeah, and I'd like to see Reagan resurrected and installed as President for Life. Sadly, however, reality gets in the way.

I'll agree with you that the current GOP leadership is hardly Conservative enough. They have failed to govern and we've already agreed on the border. That said, they are still better than the only other viable alternative.

In order for a thrid party (ANY third party) to become powerful would require that a) the two existing parties allow it (fat chance), and a political upheaval which, IMO, we're not ready for.

I sincerely, and with a bad taste in my mouth, believe that the only hope we have is to get the GOP back on track. Short of that, we will have to put up with a generation of liberal rule while the thrid-party alternative gathers enough strength to be able to win.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Total leftist Bullshit!

Every fucking country in the Middle East, except Israel, was behind 9-11.  Some nations played greater roles than others, but I didn't see a damned one of their leaders, especially Sadam Hussien, condemn the attacks.

Really?

Name ONE of the hijackers that was from Iraq.
Now, tell me the name of the country that the majority of the attackers were from.

Yeah...Speaking of "Leftist Bullshit" I'm smelling a bit of "Rightist Bullshit"....
"They didnt condemn it so they musta been part of it!"
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#45]
There is a contingency plan to nuke Iran?!

The hell you say!

Fucking people are SO stupid.

I'm more and, more amazed every day!

The next breaking story is we had a contingency plan to invade Great
Britan during WWII.............

Oh yeah, it already broke...Just nobody paid attention.

I hope we can count on our leaders to have multiple options
for every occurance.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:36:30 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Specop_007,

So politics to you is to keep to keep drinking the cool-aid no matter what, just to spite the dems?

Politics means shit if you don't get elected.  Some of you don't understand that.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:39:48 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, and I'd like to see Reagan resurrected and installed as President for Life. Sadly, however, reality gets in the way.

I'll agree with you that the current GOP leadership is hardly Conservative enough. They have failed to govern and we've already agreed on the border. That said, they are still better than the only other viable alternative.

In order for a thrid party (ANY third party) to become powerful would require that a) the two existing parties allow it (fat chance), and a political upheaval which, IMO, we're not ready for.

I sincerely, and with a bad taste in my mouth, believe that the only hope we have is to get the GOP back on track. Short of that, we will have to put up with a generation of liberal rule while the thrid-party alternative gathers enough strength to be able to win.

I agree on the border issue. That was really the selling point on my change of opinion with Bush. Yes, hes done other things I dont agree on but shit you cant make everyone happy all the time. But the border issue is a REALLY big issue. To me its bigger then the war on terror because having your own country secure is the first step in fighting a war like this!

As for the other option being worse, I have to ask myself if they really would be. What really defines Bush as a Republican? His budget policies? Fat fucking chance on that! His border policies? Nope, doesnt seem very Republican there either....

Let me ask you, do we really have a Republican in office? What would a Democrat do differently? If it were Kerry other then Bush, what would he be doing? Would Kerry secure our border? Would he push to renew a gun ban? Would he have pushed for an extension on the Patriot Act? Would he have fought a war of terror abroad?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Please Consider
RON PAUL

He has your interests at heart. He believes in the constitution and he damm sure knows what to do with illegals and threats to our nation. He is a Republican in Name Only (RINO) And thats a good thing
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree on the border issue. That was really the selling point on my change of opinion with Bush. Yes, hes done other things I dont agree on but shit you cant make everyone happy all the time. But the border issue is a REALLY big issue. To me its bigger then the war on terror because having your own country secure is the first step in fighting a war like this!

As for the other option being worse, I have to ask myself if they really would be. What really defines Bush as a Republican? His budget policies? Fat fucking chance on that! His border policies? Nope, doesnt seem very Republican there either....

Let me ask you, do we really have a Republican in office? What would a Democrat do differently? If it were Kerry other then Bush, what would he be doing? Would Kerry secure our border? Would he push to renew a gun ban? Would he have pushed for an extension on the Patriot Act? Would he have fought a war of terror abroad?

The democrats aren't that bad.  They couldn't be any worse than Bush.  Blah blah blah.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Nuking Iran will be a great way to find out if there any pre-emplaced nukes in the US.  

U.S. Customs just recently failed to detect dirty bomb components passing across the border in a drill...

It would be like a freebie for the nation that detonated it. I mean you'd HAVE to assume it was jihadi's...

Shouldn't Jorge do a little civil defense preparation here in the US before he goes and starts WWIII?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top