Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2006 8:21:27 AM EDT
Hi All, I just heard this on the radio (FM 101.1 North Alabama) while on my way back from lunch. From what I heard on the news 1/3 to 1/2 of all Wal-Marts nationwide will stop selling guns and ammo asap. I will see if I can find a source on this. No reason was given why? This could be good or bad depending on how you look at it. What do you all think?

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:22:56 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What do you all think?

Shit.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I think Sam Walton would be ashamed.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:24:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I am trying to find a written news source about this but no luck so far. I will keep looking to see what the reason is behind this policy change.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:24:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Calif has been trying to get Wall-Mart to stop selling both guns and ammo, and has been harassing them for a number of years based on technical violations of the convaluted Calif gun laws.  So I guess this is getting the desired effect.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:26:31 AM EDT
[#5]
That means that now i will have to drive 157 miles to hit enough Walmarts to get 6 boxes of WWB.   Damn.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I spoke with the old sporting goods guy at the Walmart by my house about this.  He said his store was going to stop selling firearms, but continue selling ammo.  I asked why the stopping of firearms sales.  He said he had worked at that store for 10 years and said he has probably sold maybe 10 firearms.  He said the stores that are stopping sales are probably stores that don't move firearms quickly enough.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:28:01 AM EDT
[#7]
correction ...ONLY GUNS. They are going to continue to sell ammo. they dont sell very many firearms, and the ones they do sell/get close to selling take too much time with paperwork/nics checks and people getting denied. The guns are just a very low revenue producer...not surprising.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:29:18 AM EDT
[#8]
My closest wally world has already pulled all their firearm stock about 2 wks ago. Stil plenty of ammo on the shelf. Still no damn employee to get me said ammo.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:30:00 AM EDT
[#9]
if it's only guns they are not selling anymore, that's old news.  i havnt heard of a major chunk of stores dropping ammo sales, though i have heard of massive price increases (+$1/box for 9mm, +$2/box for 223)
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:30:33 AM EDT
[#10]
take up reloading, order your reloading supplies by UPS

I never bougth ammo at WM
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:30:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Winona Mn still has firearms in their racks.

But they won't move the prices on the ammo so you can read it from the other side of the counter where you have to stand to see it.
And there is rarely a person working the counter, maybe I need to stop going there at 4:30 in the morning

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:31:03 AM EDT
[#12]
so when is the gun clearance?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:31:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
if it's only guns they are not selling anymore, that's old news.  i havnt heard of a major chunk of stores dropping ammo sales, though i have heard of massive price increases (+$1/box for 9mm, +$2/box for 223)

too bad it wasnt wal mart that raised the prices...cough cough ammo manufacturers.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:34:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Copied from a thread on PredatorMasters.  

Thank you for your message.
At Wal-Mart, we strive to provide merchandise to meet consumer demand in a given
community.

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. has made a business decision to remove firearms from
approximately 1000 locations within the U.S. beginning March 6, 2006. This
decision is based on diminished customer relevancy and demand within multiple
markets.

As with all merchandise decisions that we make our decision to remove guns from
Wal-Mart locations is simply based on the lack of customer demand for firearms
in a given community. We will now be able to utilize our resources more
effectively to provide customers with the merchandise that they wish to purchase
-- and to discontinue merchandise that they show no interest in.

Thank you,

Customer Relations
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:35:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:36:26 AM EDT
[#16]

We covered this topic a couple of weeks ago .  Anyway , I wrote an e-mail to WalMart
and received a reply . In fact ,  several of us here did .  They say it's a business decision based on sales .  I would imagine the paperwork and legal exposure had a lot to do with their decision .

Others here will find it to be yet another reason to bash WalMart .   Whatever ----
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:36:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

At Wal-Mart, we strive to provide merchandise to meet consumer demand in a given
community.

markets.

effectively to provide customers with the merchandise that they wish to purchase

Thank you,

Customer Relations

but that says nothing about AMMO!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:39:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

community.

decision is based on diminished customer relevancy
and demand within multiple
markets.

Thank you,

Customer Relations

Wow, they admit that their cusomers don't matter as much to them as they did before they got so huge.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:39:18 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I spoke with the old sporting goods guy at the Walmart by my house about this.  He said his store was going to stop selling firearms, but continue selling ammo.  I asked why the stopping of firearms sales.  He said he had worked at that store for 10 years and said he has probably sold maybe 10 firearms.  He said the stores that are stopping sales are probably stores that don't move firearms quickly enough.

I admit.  I just about never even look at the guns for sale at Wal Mart.  They never have the types I want/need.  I already have all I want in terms of shotguns, lever actions, bolt actions and 22's.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:39:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Nothing that great there anyway.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:46:17 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I admit.  I just about never even look at the guns for sale at Wal Mart.  They never have the types I want/need.  I already have all I want in terms of shotguns, lever actions, bolt actions and 22's.

If the true reason is because in some stores firearms don't move, then I don't blame them.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:49:59 AM EDT
[#22]
my ass they dont sell many guns...

i worked in a huge wally world..in high school and college and we sold 25-50 a day...
i know that for a fact..because i sold them.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:59:23 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
my ass they dont sell many guns...

i worked in a huge wally world..in high school and college and we sold 25-50 a day...
i know that for a fact..because i sold them.

And because your one store on Oklahoma sold a lot, every other one one the country must have also.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:02:27 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Hi All, I just heard this on the radio (FM 101.1 North Alabama) while on my way back from lunch. From what I heard on the news 1/3 to 1/2 of all Wal-Marts nationwide will stop selling guns and ammo asap. I will see if I can find a source on this. No reason was given why? This could be good or bad depending on how you look at it. What do you all think?

Yup, there's only 3 wally stores in all of JAX that will sell guns from now on. The others will still sell ammo though.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:03:47 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

That's what I'm waiting on too!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:09:08 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see a chaep .22 and a cheap shotty in my near future

and DNIBN_T
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:10:39 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:25:32 AM EDT
[#28]

So , if all of those WalMarts stop selling guns , does that mean it will cut down on the
" WalMart sells inferior guns " threads too ?    The quality of the WWB ammo will probably
go down to make up for it .    
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:27:35 AM EDT
[#29]
At least Dick's is still around, though they don't sell pistols.

Oh, and the friendly neighborhood gunshop.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:01:13 AM EDT
[#30]

This decision is based on diminished customer relevancy

No doubt.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:50:11 AM EDT
[#31]
back to CNN.com
The Internet home of:
FORTUNEMoneyBusiness 2.0FORTUNE Small Business Subscribe to Money | Free Trial
CNNMoney.com
SYMBOL
LOOK-UP

Yahoo search
HOME

NEWS

MARKETS

TECHNOLOGY

JOBS & ECONOMY

PERSONAL FINANCE

AUTOS

REAL ESTATE

SMALL BUSINESS

LISTS
Main Companies Economy World Business Newsmakers Fun Money Corrections Main Portfolio News Indexes Pre-Market After-Hours Bonds Commodities Currencies Actives Gainers Losers Earnings Hot Stocks Sivy on Stocks Investor Research Center Main Personal Tech Sectors & Stocks Fortune 500 Tech Top Tech Companies B2Day Blog Game Over Main Economic Calendar Fed Focus Your Job 2006 Employment Rates Cost of Living Tool Find a Job Main Retirement Funds ETFs Five Tips Sivy on Stocks College Insurance Taxes Interest Rates Portfolio Money 101 10 Resolutions Main New Cars Used Cars Financing Reviews Tips & Advice Main Best Places to Live Calculators Latest home prices Money 101 Mortgage Rates Real Estate Tips Main Hot Startups Best Bosses Garage Inventors Guidebook Fastest-Growing Companies Main Fortune 500 Global 500 Fortune 500 archive Best Places to Live Best Cars Best Companies to Work For Most Admired Companies Boom Towns Sivy's 70 Top Stocks MONEY's Ultimate Funds Best Places to Retire Fastest-Growing Companies 10 Resolutions 7 Star Funds 101 Dumbest Moments
Wal-Mart ends gun sales in some stores
The retail behemoth says it will cease selling guns in about one quarter of its stores due to sagging demand.
April 15, 2006: 11:42 AM EDT

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Wal-Mart Stores Inc.said on Friday it is phasing out sales of firearms in about a quarter of its U.S. stores, calling it a decision based on soft demand.

"As a retailer, we make business decisions every day on what products to offer our customers, based on customer demand," the company said in a statement. "In order for each of our stores to be a 'store of the community' and offer merchandise relevant to that specific community ... we recently made a business decision to no longer offer firearms in approximately 1,000 of our locations."

Wal-Mart (Research) said it began phasing out firearms sales earlier this year but did not disclose the store locations.

"In stores where there is sufficient demand, nothing will change," the retailer said. "We will continue to evaluate our merchandise selection store by store to make sure we remain relevant to the majority of our customers."

Gun violence and Wal-Mart's gun sales were linked in a song co-written by Sheryl Crow in an album released last fall. When the retailer refused to carry the album, it drew criticism for censorship.

The offending lyrics -- "Watch out sister/Watch out brother/Watch our children as they kill each other/with a gun they bought at the Wal-Mart discount stores" -- were part of a song called "Love is a Good Thing."

Wal-Mart defended itself by calling the comments unfair and irresponsible, saying it strictly prohibits selling guns to minors.

The company has been expanding into urban areas and changing its image with a new push into organic foods and running ads in Vogue magazine.

Wal-Mart has 3,800 stores in the United States and more than 2,600 in Argentina, Brazil, Canada, China, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Germany, Guatemala, Honduras, Japan, Mexico, Nicaragua, Puerto Rico, South Korea and the United Kingdom.

--------------------------

Copyright 2006 Reuters All rights reserved.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#32]
The Wal-Mart at I-30 and Broadway in Garland, TX has already discontinued selling firearms. They did this about 2 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:11:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Whoopty do dah day.
Link Posted: 4/30/2006 11:42:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Just found out that the Wally World in Gurnee (My "local" WW) stopped selling them.

According to the old timer, it was due to decreased sales - they "needed the room for more high-volume merchandise". And it's supposed to be happening at all stores except Alaska.

What's in the space of the gun case? The "special of the week" - today, kid's fishing rods.

Another shooter stopped by while I was discussing it, and asked WTF? as well.

They still have WWB...
Link Posted: 4/30/2006 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Looks like the figure is actually closer to 1/4 as opposed to the thread title.
Link Posted: 4/30/2006 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
take up reloading, order your reloading supplies by UPS

I never bougth ammo at WM

+1
My SDB should be here anyday now
Link Posted: 4/30/2006 12:00:35 PM EDT
[#37]
That's just the start-  they will be out of the gun and ammo business in a few years.

I'd wager it's the fear of lawyers and lawsuits, more than soft demand.

I buy 4 boxes of WWB 9mm everytime I go, because it's the cheapest around, and the day is not far away when they won't be selling it anymore.

Link Posted: 4/30/2006 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Just found out that the Wally World in Gurnee (My "local" WW) stopped selling them.

According to the old timer, it was due to decreased sales - they "needed the room for more high-volume merchandise". And it's supposed to be happening at all stores except Alaska.

What's in the space of the gun case? The "special of the week" - today, kid's fishing rods.

Another shooter stopped by while I was discussing it, and asked WTF? as well.

They still have WWB...

Not true.....atleast yet. They have or are going to stop in about 1000 stores.
Link Posted: 4/30/2006 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#39]
How many times is this going to come up? DESN'T EVERYONE KNOW THIS ALREADY??? It's only been on here for atleast the last month.
Link Posted: 4/30/2006 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Yes, I have noticed this going on for the ast couple months as stores like wal-mart, sports authority, meiger, stop selling firearms and certain types of (assault rifle caliber) ammunition. Its complete   to me. I find that this year and 2008 will be defining moments to see where the country is headed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2006 2:04:10 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

community.

markets.

Thank you,

Customer Relations

but that says nothing about AMMO!

Think about it though, if less guns are being sold, then they will be selling less ammo, in a few years they also stop selling ammo, with the same BS as not being relevant anymore.
Link Posted: 4/30/2006 2:09:57 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I think Sam Walton would be ashamed.

Sam would be ashamed of a lot of things WM is doing these days. Sam was in favor of buy American.
Link Posted: 4/30/2006 5:44:06 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not going to happen.  I talked with my store manager (I work in sporting goods) and he said that the ones that aren't sold, get boxed up and sent back to the distrabution center.
Link Posted: 4/30/2006 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#44]
I refuse to go to wallyworld anyways..... Doesn't matter any to me, I couldn't hate that place anymore if all they sold were HIllary stickers.
Link Posted: 4/30/2006 5:48:19 PM EDT
[#45]
I just bought some 9mm at walmart........had to wait 25 fucking minutes to get someone to give it to me.  Fucking assistant manager walked by me, sitting on the sporting goods counter, 3 fucking times.  NEVER buying ammo there again.  Not just that walmart, it's every walmart....finding a sporting goods person is like trying to strike oil in alaska.
Link Posted: 4/30/2006 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Walmart here in Iowa city has stopped selling firearms in one store the other had only half what they did 1 month ago. But they still have ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top