Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/6/2006 7:30:20 AM EDT
[#1]
The problem for me with the Glock as a SHTF pistol is that I'd tend to keep my pistol in my sleeping bag, probably on a lanyard (Hemingway-style).  Glock has no external safety so that could be a problem.  Apart from that for accuracy, reliability and general robustness the Glock is best.
Link Posted: 5/6/2006 7:33:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Behold, the "Deagle wif beams yo" killer.http://www.photodump.org/stored/56.jpg
Link Posted: 5/6/2006 7:37:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I got banned for this question!

the gun in your hand is the best one
Link Posted: 5/6/2006 7:50:37 AM EDT
[#4]
The best on is the one you shoot the best.
Link Posted: 5/6/2006 7:52:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I like the glock,also the xd but IMHO the best long term shtf handgun would be a .357 revolver.Can be kept loaded long term without fear of mag springs getting weak,also can shoot a wider range of ammo than a semiauto.YMMV
Link Posted: 5/6/2006 2:07:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/8/2006 3:52:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So on the Glock, no SHTF would be prolonged enough to where you were shooting cast lead reloads at some point I guess?  Like a TEOTWAWKI.

most glock users are not stupid. i have read that some people will use the standard glock barrel and shoot lead reloads. without problems.

if need be it is a matter of buying a new barrel putting it on and shooting lead reloads.

i plan on reloading my own handgun ammo 9mm and .45 cal. so if the shtf i will have more than enough ammo to last me.

they would have to get past the .357 and 44 mag lever actions first.and the kel-tec 9mm carbine.
Link Posted: 5/8/2006 7:33:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Switch the Glock for a Sig 226 with 17 rd MecGar mags and substitute more 9mm mags for the 1911 and your in business

In examining the common police serice weapons some clear trends have come up.  One is that a steel frame 5' .45ACP 1911A1, Browning HP, Steel frame S&W 3rd Gen 40SW and Glock 17 will all last a very long time.  usually over 50K.

the Sig P226 usually cracks the frame by 26K.

That's funny, when the Seals adopted the P226 they put five P226s through a 30,000 round each endurance test with NATO 9mm ammo and nothing cracked. And if anyone has experience with cracked frames or slides with their issue weapon it would be them(Your not a Navy SEAL until you've tasted Italian steel).

Is this one of those "57% of statistics are made up" things?

The SAS issues the P226 also, but it's a POS none the less, right?
Link Posted: 5/8/2006 7:38:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would take a Smith & Wesson 686-4 with a 4 inch barrel over the Ruger.

Most definitely, the Ruger, IMHO, doesnt' even come close the the 686

+1  My brother's GP100 can't touch my 686 4" for accuracy, fit and finish, trigger pull, etc.

despite the internal lock I'll take the 686 every time.

I'm not a big fan of cast firearms anyway
Link Posted: 5/8/2006 7:45:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Hmmmm, good choices, but I would also include a Ruger .22 revolver in the bunch. They come in handy.

Link Posted: 5/8/2006 7:49:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
after years of research and testing I have came up with the 3 best SHTF pistols,

#1 G-17, concealable, light, 9mm (easy to get ammo) holds a mess of rounds very easy to keep up and running

#2 Ruger GP 100 4" bbl, heavy but very reliable, can shoot .357 and also the most common round in the USA the .38spec.  good stopper with .357.

#3 full size 1911, concealable (slim frame), great stopper with FMJ, reliable, accurate mags and parts are everywhere.

I'd substitute a G19 and add a SIG P and HK USP.
Link Posted: 5/8/2006 7:53:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Switch the Glock for a Sig 226 with 17 rd MecGar mags and substitute more 9mm mags for the 1911 and your in business

In examining the common police serice weapons some clear trends have come up.  One is that a steel frame 5' .45ACP 1911A1, Browning HP, Steel frame S&W 3rd Gen 40SW and Glock 17 will all last a very long time.  usually over 50K.

That's funny, when the Seals adopted the P226 they put five P226s through a 30,000 round each endurance test with NATO 9mm ammo and nothing cracked. And if anyone has experience with cracked frames or slides with their issue weapon it would be them(Your not a Navy SEAL until you've tasted Italian steel).

30,000 rounds, that is nothing.  My now closed indoor range, has a rental G17 that has shot 500,000 rounds and cracked the slide.  The slide was replaced and was up to 750,000 "offiical" rounds when the range closed.  The official number of rounds shot is the count from the computerized cash register, the actual number is higher because people often smuggle in rounds.  The G17 is also one of the most reliable.  The gun would only get clean when the customer complains of jamming(which is far and few between), and it would get field stripped dunked in the solvent tank, rails brushed and clean, and compressed dried, a drop of CLP on the muzzle and rails, reassembled, back to the customer in a minute or 2 max.
Link Posted: 5/8/2006 7:55:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd pick the Glock. easy to repair with minimal parts/ tools/training. The 1911 takes a lot of work in many cases to make reliable, I carried a GP100 for many years and it has the advantage of using both  .38/.357, but you do have a round capacity / slow reload issue. The 45 ball stopping power claim is overblown.
Link Posted: 5/8/2006 7:59:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Congratulations on merging SHTF, 1911 vs Glock, and 9mm vs 45 ACP all in one topic!

Sigline
Link Posted: 5/8/2006 8:03:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Glock, Glock and more Glocks!  Half the weight, half the parts and twice the ammo cap of the 1911.  And do i have to add that they frikken run forever!
Link Posted: 5/8/2006 8:03:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

30,000 rounds, that is nothing.  My now closed indoor range, has a rental G17 that has shot 500,000 rounds and cracked the slide.  The slide was replaced and was up to 750,000 "offiical" rounds when the range closed.  The official number of rounds shot is the count from the computerized cash register, the actual number is higher because people often smuggle in rounds.  The G17 is also one of the most reliable.  The gun would only get clean when the customer complains of jamming(which is far and few between), and it would get field stripped dunked in the solvent tank, rails brushed and clean, and compressed dried, a drop of CLP on the muzzle and rails, reassembled, back to the customer in a minute or 2 max.

I'm not saying the 226 is only good for 30,000 rounds, I posted that to disprove the, "the 226 frame usually cracks after 26,000 rounds" BS that the guy posted.

If a Glock is what you shoot best and like best or whatever, fine. One of the reasons I dislike the Glock is all the Glock snobs. Glock is not the be all end all for handguns IMO.  I'm not saying the Sig is the be all end all either. I don't even own a Sig. The only centerfire pistol I own in an XD9, which I am happy with, although the corrosion resistance could come in to question when the CLP runs out.
Link Posted: 5/8/2006 8:08:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'd pick the Glock. easy to repair with minimal parts/ tools/training. The 1911 takes a lot of work in many cases to make reliable, I carried a GP100 for many years and it has the advantage of using both  .38/.357, but you do have a round capacity / slow reload issue. The 45 ball stopping power claim is overblown.

There are thousands of dead Japanese and German soldiers who would take issue with that remark.
Link Posted: 5/8/2006 8:09:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Ditch the Glock for a Browning HiPower, change the 4" GP100 to a 2" snubnose, and the 1911 to Commander length and you have my 3. Before everyone jumps on my ass about being a glock hater, I have nothing against them, they work I''ll admit that, I just dont care for them.

Not everyone can fire a BHP due to meaty hands such as yours truly. I almost picked up and FEG Hi-Power because it was only $250, but every time I pulled the slide back, the meaty part between my thumb and hand would get pinched between the hammer(commander's type) and frame. About two weeks ago I fired a WWII era BHP w/ NAZI proofmarks. It didn't pinch my hand, but the hammer (spure type) still made contact with my hand a broke the skin. With all of that said, I'm like you, I don't have anything against the Glock line, I just prefer something else.
Link Posted: 5/8/2006 8:30:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Best SHTF pistol?

I would say any type of well manufactured revolver since they are simple and reliable.

Semi-auto has too much to go wrong with it.  The mags can break or be lost.  More parts to break or be lost.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2006 8:36:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
There are thousands of dead Japanese and German soldiers who would take issue with that remark.

Of course there are dead soldiers from ball ammo. Its all our soldiers are allowed to use against foreign non-terrorist military personnel. Doesn't mean that its a magic bullet that will drop you in your tracks  any more than any other FMJ round.
Link Posted: 5/8/2006 8:37:34 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
A real man carries a Jennings .380.

or a Lorcin .25
Link Posted: 5/8/2006 8:42:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Run 100 yards.  Stop.  Draw.  Hit center of mass on a target at 25 yards.  It's all about you not the pistol.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top