Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2006 8:19:23 AM EDT
by Robin L. Higgins February 7, 1998
February 17, 1998 will be 10 years since Colonel William R. Higgins last breathed free. A United States Marine for over 20 years, his final military assignment was as a United Nations peacekeeper in the Middle East. One morning, while trying to ensure the safety of his men, he was captured by Hezbollah radicals.

During his time in captivity he was interrogated and tortured, and a year and a half after he was taken, his inert body was seen on television screens around the world, hanging by the neck. It was to be more than two years later -- December 1991 – that my husband's remains were dumped on a Beirut street, to be buried on hallowed ground at the National Veterans' Cemetery at Quantico, Virginia.

Link Posted: 7/23/2006 8:34:09 AM EDT
[#1]
RIP Warrior.

We will avenge his death.
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 8:35:54 AM EDT
[#2]
They were both Marine Corps Officers.

On December 23, 1977, United States Marine Corps officers Rich Higgins and Robin Ross, were married at Camp Lejeune, NC.

Link Posted: 7/23/2006 10:43:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds fair to me.

Oh, and how about the folks who killed 34 U.S. sailors on June 8, 1967?

Hezbolla?  Nope.  Hamas?  Nope.  Israelis.
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Sounds fair to me.

Yet you leave out the fact it was in an accident.

Do you have any idea how many of our allies we've killed in similar accidents? I'm very glad NATO doesn't treat the United States like you treat Israel, or we'd be at war with them.

Japan shot down some of our fighters, why don't you hold them to the same standards?
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 2:31:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sounds fair to me.

No accident.  Whatever helps you sleep nights...

The attack on 'Liberty' was fading into obscurity until last week, when intelligence expert James Bamford came out with Body of Secrets, his latest book about the National Security Agency. In a stunning revelation, Bamford writes that unknown to Israel, a US Navy EC-121 intelligence aircraft was flying high overhead the 'Liberty,' electronically recorded the attack. The US aircraft crew provides evidence that the Israeli pilots knew full well that they were attacking a US Navy ship flying the American flag.

Why did Israel try to sink a naval vessel of its benefactor and ally? Most likely because 'Liberty's' intercepts flatly contradicted Israel's claim, made at the war's beginning on 5 June, that Egypt had attacked Israel, and that Israel's massive air assault on three Arab nations was in retaliation. In fact, Israel began the war by a devastating, Pearl-Harbor style surprise attack that caught the Arabs in bed and destroyed their entire air forces.

Israel was also preparing to attack Syria to seize its strategic Golan Heights. Washington warned Israel not to invade Syria, which had remained inactive while Israel fought Egypt. Bamford says Israel's offensive against Syria was abruptly postponed when 'Liberty' appeared off Sinai, then launched once it was knocked out of action. Israel's claim that Syria had attacked it could have been disproved by 'Liberty.'

Most significant, 'Liberty's' intercepts may have shown that Israel seized upon sharply rising Arab-Israeli tensions in May-June 1967 to launch a long-planned war to invade and annex the West Bank, Jerusalem, Golan and Sinai.

Far more shocking was Washington's response. Writes Bamford: 'Despite the overwhelming evidence that Israel attacked the ship and killed American servicemen deliberately, the Johnson Administration and Congress covered up the entire incident.' Why?

Domestic politics. Johnson, a man never noted for high moral values, preferred to cover up the attack rather than anger a key constituency and major financial backer of the Democratic Party. Congress was even less eager to touch this 'third rail' issue.

www.lewrockwell.com/orig/margolis12.html

ETA:  Read the book.
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 2:33:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Sounds fair to me.

Nice hijack Jackass.
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 2:38:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Submariner, you are a despicable person.

I remember when LtCol Higgns was murdered. I was in the MARINES at that time and I fully expected to participate in a retaliatory response. Pres Bush did nothing. Up until then I was proud to have Bush Sr as our president. After that incedent and his lack of response to it, I hated his guts and I still do.

Link Posted: 7/23/2006 4:03:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Sounds fair to me.

"Sounds fair to me."

During his time in captivity he was interrogated and tortured, and a year and a half after he was taken, his inert body was seen on television screens around the world, hanging by the neck. It was to be more than two years later -- December 1991 – that my husband's remains were dumped on a Beirut street

That statement is an insult to all that have served our country.

You are beyond being despicable.

Link Posted: 7/23/2006 7:15:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sounds fair to me.

No accident.  Whatever helps you sleep nights...

Does your projection of your personal problems onto the Jews help you sleep at nights? It's a quite common subconscious defense mechanism.

I have a couch that's available for just $200 an hour...

The attack on 'Liberty' was fading into obscurity until last week, when intelligence expert James Bamford came out with Body of Secrets, his latest book about the National Security Agency. In a stunning revelation, Bamford writes that unknown to Israel, a US Navy EC-121 intelligence aircraft was flying high overhead the 'Liberty,' electronically recorded the attack. The US aircraft crew provides evidence that the Israeli pilots knew full well that they were attacking a US Navy ship flying the American flag.

Why did Israel try to sink a naval vessel of its benefactor and ally? Most likely because 'Liberty's' intercepts flatly contradicted Israel's claim, made at the war's beginning on 5 June, that Egypt had attacked Israel, and that Israel's massive air assault on three Arab nations was in retaliation. In fact, Israel began the war by a devastating, Pearl-Harbor style surprise attack that caught the Arabs in bed and destroyed their entire air forces.

Israel was also preparing to attack Syria to seize its strategic Golan Heights. Washington warned Israel not to invade Syria, which had remained inactive while Israel fought Egypt. Bamford says Israel's offensive against Syria was abruptly postponed when 'Liberty' appeared off Sinai, then launched once it was knocked out of action. Israel's claim that Syria had attacked it could have been disproved by 'Liberty.'

Most significant, 'Liberty's' intercepts may have shown that Israel seized upon sharply rising Arab-Israeli tensions in May-June 1967 to launch a long-planned war to invade and annex the West Bank, Jerusalem, Golan and Sinai.

Far more shocking was Washington's response. Writes Bamford: 'Despite the overwhelming evidence that Israel attacked the ship and killed American servicemen deliberately, the Johnson Administration and Congress covered up the entire incident.' Why?

Domestic politics. Johnson, a man never noted for high moral values, preferred to cover up the attack rather than anger a key constituency and major financial backer of the Democratic Party. Congress was even less eager to touch this 'third rail' issue.

www.lewrockwell.com/orig/margolis12.html

ETA:  Read the book.

Should I read Mein Kampf while I'm at it?

The library called, they wanted to let you know the Turner Diarys is overdue.
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 7:16:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Colonel William R. (Rich) Higgins, USMC, disappeared on Feb. 17, 1988, while serving as the Chief, Observer Group Lebanon and Senior Military Observer, United States Military Observer Group, United Nations Truce Supervision Organization.

Born in Danville, Kentucky on Jan. 15, 1945, Rich Higgins graduated from Southern High School in Louisville and earned his bachelor's degree from Miami University, Oxford, Ohio. A scholarship student in the Navy ROTC, he received the Marine Corps Association Award and was commissioned in the Marine Corps in 1967. He later obtained a master's degrees from Pepperdine University and Auburn University. He graduated from the Army Infantry Officers Advanced Course, the Air Force Command and Staff College, and the National War College.

As a lieutenant, he participated in combat operations during 1968 with C Company, 1st Battalion, 3d Marines in the Republic of Vietnam as a rifle platoon commander and rifle company executive officer, and was aide-de-camp to the Assistant 3d Marine Division Commander.

In 1969 Lt. Higgins served at Headquarters Marine Corps and in 1970 as the Officer-in-Charge of the Officer Selection Team in Louisville, Kentucky.

Captain Higgins returned to Vietnam in 1972 as an infantry battalion Advisor to the Vietnamese Marine Corps, then in 1973 served as a rifle company commander with B Company, 1st Battalion, 4th Marines.

From 1973 - 1977, Captain Higgins served at the Staff Noncommissioned Officers Academy and Officers Candidates School, both in Quantico, Virginia.

Returning to the Fleet Marine Force in 1977, Capt. Higgins was assigned to the 2d Marine Division at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, where he again served as a rifle company commander with A Company, 1st Battalion, 2d Marines. Upon promotion to major, he was reassigned as the Logistics Officer for Regimental Landing Team-2, 4th Marine Amphibious Brigade.

After completion of the Air Force Command and Staff College at Maxwell Air Force Base in 1980, designated a distinguished graduate, he returned to Washington where he served at Headquarters as a Plans Officer until his selection to the Office of the Secretary of Defense.

During 1981 and 1982, he served as Military Assistant to the Special Assistant to the Secretary and Deputy Secretary of Defense, then as Assistant for Interagency Matters to the Executive Secretary for the Department of Defense. After graduation from the National War College in 1985, he returned to the Pentagon as the Military Assistant to the Secretary of Defense, where he served until he was transferred to his United Nations assignment in July 1987. He was promoted to colonel on Mar. 1, 1989.

After being held captive by pro-Iranian terrorists in Lebanon, Col. Higgins was murdered. The exact date of death is uncertain; however, he was declared dead on Jul. 6, 1990. His remains were eventually recovered and interred at Quantico National Cemetery Dec. 30, 1991.

Col. Higgins' military decorations include: the Defense Distinguished Service Medal, Defense Superior Service Medal, Legion of Merit (posthumous), Bronze Star with combat "V", Purple Heart (posthumous), Meritorious Service Medal, Navy Commendation Medal with bronze star and combat "V", Combat Action Ribbon, Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry with silver star, Staff Service Honor Medal, United Nations Medal, and numerous unit commendations and campaign ribbons.

On Mar. 18, 1992, President George Bush awarded Col. Higgins the Presidential Citizens Medal (posthumous).  There to accept the medal were his wife, Robin, and daughter, Chrissy.  Col. Higgins is also survived by two sisters.

In Apr. 2003, after over 10 years of trying to have Col. Higgins recognized as a prisoner of war, he was finally posthumously granted a Prisoner of War Medal.

You earned a 1st class ticket Marine.

Link Posted: 7/23/2006 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
RIP Warrior.

We will avenge his death.

RIP, indeed.

Hezbollah's days are numbered.

Just a matter of time.
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 7:18:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Sounds fair to me.

Give your Jew hating a rest already.

This is not a thread about the Jews, about Israel, nor the Liberty.  You fucking hijack every thread with your bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Sounds fair to me.

Could you please point out the Isralis in these pictures for us?

Find the Israelis in the pictures

Well?
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sounds fair to me.

Well?

Those carrying the signs referencing 9/11 should be shot on sight.  That shows total support and approval of a criminal act, an act of war.
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 7:59:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sounds fair to me.

Well?

Those carrying the signs referencing 9/11 should be shot on sight.  That shows total support and approval of a criminal act, an act of war.

One said "Behead those that insult Islam"

Rather a rough religious attitude isn't it.

Link Posted: 7/23/2006 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Sounds fair to me.

You're a jackass.
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 8:12:12 PM EDT
[#17]
It seems that some people still harbor anti-Israeli sentiment,even when the true enemy(Hezbolah)
hate us as much as they do the Isrealis.Radical Islam is the enemy,not the Isrealis.
ETA:We will never forget Colonel Higgins.
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 8:18:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Religion is a great thing,look what it has done for mankind.
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Sounds fair to me.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top