Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2006 4:23:01 AM EDT
I understand this question may cause an arrest warrant to be issued in Texas, the beer slayer to develop a nervous twitch, and, possibly, cause the baby Jesus to cry, but...

...I just put a rack of ribs in beer on my stove top and I'm not really sure how long they should boil.  How long says you rib gourmands?

Link Posted: 8/12/2006 4:30:32 AM EDT
[#1]
How big is the rack, what does it weigh, what type of ribs (country?) and approximate thickness?  And will you boil until done or just boil to saturate the beer flavor and then BBQ, broil, etc?  

Edit to change "gone" to "done".  DOH!  
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 4:44:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How big is the rack, what does it weigh, what type of ribs (country?) and approximate thickness?  And will you boil until done or just boil to saturate the beer flavor and then BBQ, broil, etc?  

Excellent, a rib technician has responded. Thanks.

I have three racks and each is about 4 pounds. I cut them in half and I put 3 pieces (or 1.5 racks in the pot and covered with beer). So each piece is approximately 2 pounds.

Thickness varied.  The rib part was very thin, but the thicker meatier part was about 1.5 inches thick.  

These are spare ribs and have the bone in.

I was hoping to cook them up in the beer and then crisp them up on the grill.

Link Posted: 8/12/2006 4:51:37 AM EDT
[#3]
What you should do is cook them in the oven, in alum foil, at a temperature just above the boiling point (225 degrees or so). They'll take about 3-4 hours to cook, and then you can finish them on the grill with whatever sauce you like. The meat will fall right off the bone, if you've done you're job correctly. The trick is to try and melt all of the connective tissue holding the bone in, and only low, slow heat will do that.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 4:59:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I have to agree with Robar, here.

I'd use a crock pot, a mixture of beer and BBQ sauce, on low, for about six hours.  Remove and, on high heat, scorch the outside on the BBQ.

But if you are intent on boiling, 2 hours, and then high heat on the BBQ for 10 minutes per side to crisp em up.  Make sure you put onions in the beer and perforate the rib meat first.  The acidity in the onion juice is released slowly and will help tenderize, and it accentuates the flavor of the beer down deep in the meat.

But like Robar said, you want to "melt" the sinuey tissue so that it just falls apart - but is crispy on the outside so it holds together and you can munch by picking them up - the only real way to eat ribs is utensil free.  A crunchy outside and inside that falls apart...  Now that there is a rack of ribs!  

Damnit!  Now I'm hungry.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 5:00:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What you should do is cook them in the oven, in alum foil, at a temperature just above the boiling point (225 degrees or so). They'll take about 3-4 hours to cook, and then you can finish them on the grill with whatever sauce you like. The meat will fall right off the bone, if you've done you're job correctly. The trick is to try and melt all of the connective tissue holding the bone in, and only low, slow heat will do that.

Maybe I'll do that with the other 1.5 racks.  When you say cook them in the oven do you mean in water or beer or just dry?
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 5:03:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh hell.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 5:04:26 AM EDT
[#7]
boil is bad, dont do it. noooooooooooooo. man cook with fire, fire I tell you.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 5:11:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 5:13:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe I'll do that with the other 1.5 racks.  When you say cook them in the oven do you mean in water or beer or just dry?

Put your seasoning on, little bit of sauce and little bit of beer, then wrap in foil so that the steam created won't be able to escape.

It's par-boiling that you want to create, that steam will help the fat and ligaments melt down.

You can make it so that the bones literally pull right out and you can make yourself a true "ribwhich" sandwhich by this technique.

I like to do my ribs in the oven for maybe 1 1/2-2 hours at 220-230 degrees so they won't be quite to the point of fall apart stew meat(which you are in danger of doing if you do it for too long), then pull them out to finish up on the BBQ to get them charred and carmelize the bbq sauce.

I'd love to smoke ribs for several hours on end but I just don't have the patience to screw around with coals/wood several times an hour.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 5:13:56 AM EDT
[#10]
If you have to boil spere ribs, my theory is that it should be just long enough to melt the excess fat, then stick 'em on the grill.

This may not be a topic for polite company, but this ain't it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 5:14:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Excellent, a rib technician has responded. Thanks.

yes. and regardless of the responses to his questions, the answer to the boil question is: zero minutes
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 5:21:37 AM EDT
[#12]
LOL, look out!  This is going to be a lynching!

Dude, trust me:  make copies of your man card NOW!  Don't wait another moment!  You're going to need them!

Go run Kinkos out of ink.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 5:25:49 AM EDT
[#13]
And it is more properly "simmer" rather than a vigourous rolling boil.

GENTLY simmer. A rolling boil will toughen the meat.

By the way, do not add any salt to pork while cooking.  It is naturally salty, and also any added salt will draw the juices out and toughen the meat.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 5:27:58 AM EDT
[#14]
You should boil them for exactly 0 seconds.

Rub first. Then 300 degrees for 2 1/2 hours. Then finish over high heat on the grill. Then add BBQ sauce.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 5:29:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Rub first. Then 300 degrees for 2 1/2 hours. Then finish over high heat on the grill. Then add BBQ sauce.

+1

OH TEH HUGE MANATEE!
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 5:31:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
boil is bad, dont do it. noooooooooooooo. man cook with fire, fire I tell you.

+  boiling be made for sop sauce, ribs on the grill 6 hours sop every thirty minutes.

Boiling meat is unTexan, fuck its unamerican, now that I think about it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 5:35:53 AM EDT
[#17]
cover w/ rub. let 'em sweat

then 225-250 for 6 or so hours.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 5:37:27 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Put your seasoning on, little bit of sauce and little bit of beer, then wrap in foil so that the steam created won't be able to escape.

It's par-boiling that you want to create, that steam will help the fat and ligaments melt down.

You can make it so that the bones literally pull right out and you can make yourself a true "ribwhich" sandwhich by this technique.

I like to do my ribs in the oven for maybe 1 1/2-2 hours at 220-230 degrees so they won't be quite to the point of fall apart stew meat(which you are in danger of doing if you do it for too long), then pull them out to finish up on the BBQ to get them charred and carmelize the bbq sauce.

I'd love to smoke ribs for several hours on end but I just don't have the patience to screw around with coals/wood several times an hour.

No time or equipment here too. I'll try to other half of the ribs as you described above. Thanks for your help.

My apologies to all those I offended. I repent after I get a smoker.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 5:37:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 5:38:07 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
And it is more properly "simmer" rather than a vigourous rolling boil.

GENTLY simmer. A rolling boil will toughen the meat.

By the way, do not add any salt to pork while cooking.  It is naturally salty, and also any added salt will draw the juices out and toughen the meat.

I agree, the way to go is to put your ribs under the liquid of your choice in a big pot then bring to a full boil and turn down the heat. (I use: several sliced onions cooked to transparent in the bottom of the big pot , beer, liquid smoke, maple syrup, half cup sugar, half cup salt, ground red pepper, bay leaf, pepper corns and enough water to cover the ribs)

You can turn the heat down to a simmer, or what works for me is to turn the heat off! Then let the ribs rest in the hot broth for a hour or less.

Then I finish them in a slow oven or over indirect heat in Weber kettle. THen broil or cook over the coals just long enough to crisp them up a bit.

This is my fool proof winter method. My summer method is also fool proof, but involves a pit smoker....

efxguy
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 5:39:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Once I hear "ribs" and "boil", I just tune right on out.

Link Posted: 8/12/2006 5:40:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Will this work in an ove? What does it mean to let them sweat?
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 5:43:59 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Leave coated in spices un-refrigerated in an air-tight container or tin-foil tent.  

EDIT:  Yes, this is the oven slow cooking method - though I still prefer crock pots and burning (searing) them on the BBQ.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 5:46:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Five2one...You want to just bring them up past the boiling point, and then steam. That's why I say 230 degrees MAX. As for the liquid, you can use anything really. I like a combination of apple cider and a little honey. Just put enough liquid in there to "moisten" the ribs, about a cup.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 5:46:52 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never tried in an oven....

When you put the rub on, it will look like a dry coating. But after about 2 hrs, some moisture will be drawn from the meat (and the air) making them look like this:

(instead of dry looking)
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 5:55:35 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

OH TEH HUGE MANATEE!

Off topic: I went to a manatee festival earlier this year. Not one vendor was selling BBQ manatee... Talk about disappointment.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 5:57:32 AM EDT
[#27]
you should be boiled in oil for ruining those poor defenseless ribs like that
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 6:05:49 AM EDT
[#28]
In a pressure cooker:   add 1/2 bottle of beer, 1/2 cup water, 1 tablespoon vinegar, ribs not stacked on each other.  Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes, release.   Coat in BBQ sauce and transfer to grill or broil in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes.  

If it can't be cooked and eaten within the hour, I'd rather not bother.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 6:22:14 AM EDT
[#29]
boiling, crockpots, pressure cookers???????

this is all a sign of the apocalypse.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 6:26:47 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
boiling, crockpots, pressure cookers???????

this is all a sign of the apocalypse.

eta: thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 6:33:45 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
In a pressure cooker:   add 1/2 bottle of beer, 1/2 cup water, 1 tablespoon vinegar, ribs not stacked on each other.  Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes, release.   Coat in BBQ sauce and transfer to grill or broil in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes.  

If it can't be cooked and eaten within the hour, I'd rather not bother.

Pressure cookers turn hours into minutes. Really the way to go for corned beef brisckits, never tried ribs though!
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 6:34:07 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
i heard middle eastern extreamist terorists boil pork ribs first to remove all the unclean infidel parts.

be an infidel, spare the ribs.

They also like beans in chili
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 6:49:36 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i heard middle eastern extreamist terorists boil pork ribs first to remove all the unclean infidel parts.

be an infidel, spare the ribs.

They also like beans in chili

BLASPHEMER!!!!!
Ohh teh noes!!!
Kill them with fire
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 7:03:37 AM EDT
[#34]
You do not have to boil directly in the beer. Here's what we do:

1) Remove the membrane from the backside.
2) Rub down with dry-rub and let it set-in overnight in the fridge.
3) Place beer in the bottom of the broiler pan.
4) Place ribs on the top grill cover of the broiler pan and wrap tightly in foil to seal.
5) Cook in oven on low-heat (we use 225 to 250 degress) for 3 to 4 hours for three racks (do not peek, but if you must do so near the end).
6) Transfer to grill and finish for about 30 minutes. We like to use the BBQ sauce here. I try to keep the grill around 275 to 300 degrees. Our new Weber is far better for ribs that the old, POS, from Home Depot... Charboiler, I think. You can change the time/temp for the grill if you like more exterior crunch or not. Add wood chips, etc, if you want more smoke flavor.

Oh, and if you do not have fried Okra, it ain't BBQ! This household has found that only two places on earth produce real BBQ sauce... Kansas City and Texas. Look for either of those styles.  For the dry rub, we use a Mexican version that is commonly available at your local Mexican mart.

While you have the grill going, grill some whole Jalapenos until blistered and somewhat blackend all round the skin (you will need to turn these). Place in bag and let the peppers sweat. Peel skin, serve, and eat with ribs.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 7:16:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Unless you are making rib soup, the answer is ZERO.

Rub with worstershire sauce and rub
Smoke at 225* for 6 hours
Glaze with Texas Pepper Jelly
Slice and serve.

Link Posted: 8/12/2006 7:18:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Tag for more tips...
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 8/12/2006 9:07:19 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Unless you are making rib soup, the answer is ZERO.

Rub with worstershire sauce and rub
Smoke at 225* for 6 hours
Glaze with Texas Pepper Jelly
Slice and serve.

www.peppersandsmoke.com/photo/photo.php?file=/gator_cookoff/ribs%20sliced.jpg

This is the way, the truth, and the light - no rib shall be prepared otherwise and be called good.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 9:19:30 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I understand this question may cause an arrest warrant to be issued in Texas, the beer slayer to develop a nervous twitch, and, possibly, cause the baby Jesus to cry, but...

...I just put a rack of ribs in beer on my stove top and I'm not really sure how long they should boil.  How long says you rib gourmands?

You sick bastard. Boiling!?
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 5:07:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Thank you one and all for your help.  The ribs were delicious. One day, I hope to get a smoker and do it right, but for now, this is how I do it.

I'm going to try simmering them in the oven as per instructions above tomorrow.

Link Posted: 8/12/2006 5:09:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 5:12:17 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

+1,000,000

boiled ribs =
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 5:25:07 PM EDT
[#43]
The only damn meat that should be boiled is corned beef brisket for Irish Boiled Supper.

Turn in your man card.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1,000,000

boiled ribs =

Actually, this is what I plan on doing tomorrow,  

I know boiling isn't proper but it gets the job done quickly.  Its like lubricating your AR with WD40 -- not ideal but useful in the short-term.

Link Posted: 8/13/2006 3:40:02 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1,000,000

boiled ribs =

Actually, this is what I plan on doing tomorrow,  

I know boiling isn't proper but it gets the job done quickly.  Its like lubricating your AR with WD40 -- not ideal but useful in the short-term.

Ok.  I have to admit that the above rib methods really kicked arse over the boiling method.   I have seen the light.  If I can cook for 6-7 hours, then I'll be baking my ribs on the oven.  But for tasty ribs within a few hours, the boiling method is sufficient.

I was afraid the ribs would be dried out, but they weren't. True, they weren't as moist as the boiled ribs, but they were still naturally moist.

I put on a Grill Mate pork rub and Durkee's Six Pepper mix.  I let them sweat for and hour and then baked them at 225 degrees for 6 hours. mmmm. I intended to coat them with a BBQ sauce and crisp them up on the grill for 20 minutes, but they were really taty even without that.

And here is a picture of my 14 year month  old son trying to steal his Daddy's Maxim.

Link Posted: 8/13/2006 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#46]
I bet he gets all of the chicks with that babyface!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2006 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Only Carpetbaggers boil ribs!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top