Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2006 3:03:43 PM EDT
Yea so I tried to use my flashlight, but noticed the light was dim because at the time i thought the batteries were low. So I set it down and do a few things, come back and the light is sitting there and the rubber push button cap was EXPANDED HUGE!

I knew right away what happened, the batteries failed and a very noxious gas was forming inside the cap, so I snapped a few pictures of the flashlight, put on some leather work gloves held the cap with a channel lock and twisted.

It passed the first seal, then the second and then the cap forcibly removed its self and one battery took off about 2'. I felt the pressure on my work glove so it was a good idea there to wear them. Next I shook the flashlight to remove the second battery, set them out and took pictures of the batteries.

Now I am not sure what to do... the rubber cap thing is now misshapen and probably lost is waterproof ability. Should I call up pentagon and see what they say? Or should I call Battery station? I bought the batteries off a forum member  and Have not had a problem up till now.

And the stuff on the lens, its glued on there i tried scraping it off with a credit card but it won't come off. It was not there till after the "explosion"

Now on to the pictures

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 3:05:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Surefire
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 3:07:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Call pentagon and see what they say.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Surefire

Yeah, because a Surefire would have neutralized the gasses of the shitty battery as it exploded.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Surefire

Heh, well the flashlight held up fine, it managed to hold the pressure created by the battery gases, but the tail cap is kinda deformed and the lens is screwed.

Would my best bet be try to call up Battery Station and see if they can replace anything?

ETA: Pentagon's site says their life time warranty does not cover battery leakage, but I will still give them a call and see what they suggest too.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 3:10:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Surefire

Heh, well the flashlight held up fine, it managed to hold the pressure created by the battery gases, but the tail cap is kinda deformed and the lens is screwed.

Would my best bet be try to call up Battery Station and see if they can replace anything?

ETA: Pentagon's site says their life time warranty does not cover battery leakage, but I will still give them a call and see what they suggest too.

Personally, I'd call Battery Station, as they made the product that caused the problem.  You wouldn't blame your AR if you bought ammo that caused a kaBoom... Battery Station should be the ones replacing it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 3:14:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Ghostbusters
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#7]
+1 What Mitchell said.

Why bother the flashlight maker. Esp when they said that they would not warrent batty leaks. And the batteries did leak and I would go back to them about their defective product.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 4:23:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd call them both.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#9]
the tailcap on my X2 died this weekend also...not from a battery leak but just stopped working...
your story is alot more interesting though.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 4:36:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Haven't you been reading about all the LITHIUM batteries failing lately? If it's lithium powered it's now on a cement floor in the house. I'm not trusting them anymore myself til they have a better track record.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 4:42:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Especially since breathing the crap can seriously poison you... Im look at MSDS sheets to make sure im fine but may still call the doc in the morn.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 4:42:15 PM EDT
[#12]
hmm, are you sure the battery company doesn't subcontract out to glock?
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I think this was just a fluke, looking over at Candle Power Forums this has happened a few times and it seems Battery Station is a good company, as they are replacing that guys light along with conducting tests and such.

Ill give a call to three places tomorrow, Doc, pentagon light, and battery station. But please be careful not to judge quickly, this kinda crap happens to the best at some point or anther.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Did you possibly leave the light "on" when you set it down? It can lead to exactly what happened - the batteries exploding if the light gets too hot. A local resident called us one night when his Surefire G2 exploded in much the same manner. He's a cop in another jurisdiction and thought someone booby trapped his light to blow up.

From Surefire's product manuals:

Link Posted: 10/15/2006 5:03:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Nope it doesn't have the clicky tail cap, just the momentary one.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#16]
IIRC a fellow named D. Rumsfield handles the returns on those.Just call up the pentagon and ask for him,he will handle it
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 8:27:34 PM EDT
[#17]
You didn't happen to put a used battery in there with a new one, did you?

That will cause this problem with Li cells.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 3:45:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
You didn't happen to put a used battery in there with a new one, did you?

That will cause this problem with Li cells.

Nope both where brand new cells, from the sound of it one of the cells could have had a lower charge than the other from the factory. Thus when one battery died it would reverse flow and heat it up. When it heats up it vents, i am not sure what it vents but I think its hydrofluoric acid.

So far I don't think i inhaled much as there was only enough hydrofluoric acid to fill the flashlight body, and I held it as far away form me as possible wearing work gloves and I was outside. Freaky stuff though as it has a delayed reaction which gets longer the lower amounts one is exposed to.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 3:54:53 AM EDT
[#19]
My wife has a flashlight shaped like that! The damned bulb is always burned out, but she wion't let me throw it out. When I try to turn it on it just make a sound like "hmmmmmmmmmmmm grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr blllllllllllhhhhhhhhhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Darn silly womenz.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 4:03:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Dell has experience dealing with this
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 4:14:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Dell has experience dealing with this

sony  
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 4:21:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 5:05:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Been using those batteries for a few years, never a problem.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:02:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Taggage as I have a bunch of Battery Station CR123's on hand.

Did you post this on candlepowerforums yet?

No but I read a 14 page post of a icident worse than mine, which Battery Station was posting/watching

Quoted:
Been using those batteries for a few years, never a problem.

And for good reason from that post in CPF Battery Station batteries go through tough testing especially since the incident of CPU. I wont hesitate to buy them again!
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:13:34 AM EDT
[#25]
I can't see your pictures through the red x's. Which way did you install your batteries? You install Pentagon batteries in the opposite direction that install Surefire batts. The light will still work with the batteries installed backwards, but you run the risk of battery explosion.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 7:02:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Yep, contact the whomever you bought the batteries from.  Most battery manufacturers have a warranty that will cover leakage, even the USA ones such as Duracell, Everready, etc etc.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I can't see your pictures through the red x's. Which way did you install your batteries? You install Pentagon batteries in the opposite direction that install Surefire batts. The light will still work with the batteries installed backwards, but you run the risk of battery explosion.

Odd the pictures work for me at home and work... Anyways the issue has been resolved thanks to brightflashlights and battery station.

And to answer your question, no the batteries were installed correctly.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 1:41:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
My wife has a flashlight shaped like that! The damned bulb is always burned out, but she wion't let me throw it out. When I try to turn it on it just make a sound like "hmmmmmmmmmmmm grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr blllllllllllhhhhhhhhhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Darn silly womenz.

Link Posted: 10/16/2006 1:50:54 PM EDT
[#29]
what was the resolution and can you tell what the date code on the batteries is?
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 1:57:00 PM EDT
[#30]
yowza

glad you're OK. I hope Battery Station takes care of you.

I almost bought a pile of those batteries... I bought Pentagonlight batts instead.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
what was the resolution and can you tell what the date code on the batteries is?

The date codes on the batteries are 0505 which after talking to brightflashlights and battery station is a possible bad batch.

If anyone has these batteries date marked 0505 i would call up Battery Station and see if he can replace them.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The date codes on the batteries are 0505 which after talking to brightflashlights and battery station is a possible bad batch.

If anyone has these batteries date marked 0505 i would call up Battery Station and see if he can replace them.

So... what happened?  Did they offer to replace the light (or parts) for you?
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So... what happened?  Did they offer to replace the light (or parts) for you?

Yep I was sent a new flashlight and 6 new batteries to replace my remaining defective ones. BrightFlashlights and The Battery Station are first rate guys.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Go to the hospital,

right fucking now

and get checked for hydrofluoric acid poisioning.

Tell them what has happened and have them check you over thoroughly.  If you get a headache anytime soon (like in the next day or two), that is indicative of significant bad mojo exposure.

That gas can be absorbed through your skin as well as be inhaled and has nasty, debilitating long-term effects that are often delayed in onset.

Handling the light and the batteries without serious impermeable gloves is HIGHLY discouraged.

John

ETA:  Leave all that exposed crap OUTDOORS!!!  Or double bag it in air-tight bags (and leave it outdoors).
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 1:05:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Especially since breathing the crap can seriously poison you... Im look at MSDS sheets to make sure im fine but may still call the doc in the morn.

Go to the doctor, RFN!
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Darn silly womenz.

Damn a vibrating flashlight...
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go to the doctor, RFN!

Its all good, the incident happened Sunday around 5, no headaches, nausea, respiratory issues, and none of it came in contact with my skin. Only once cell vented, and unlike the more serious cases that batteries did not explode which releases the most amount of gas/liquid. Also I was outside and the flashlight was at arms length away from my body while opening.

The gases generally incur respiratory issues specifically in the nose where it is absorbed in your blood stream. And if inhaled enough can cause pulmonary edema which I do not have any of the symptoms of that either.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Go to the hospital,

right fucking now

and get checked for hydrofluoric acid poisioning.

Tell them what has happened and have them check you over thoroughly.  If you get a headache anytime soon (like in the next day or two), that is indicative of significant bad mojo exposure.

That gas can be absorbed through your skin as well as be inhaled and has nasty, debilitating long-term effects that are often delayed in onset.

Handling the light and the batteries without serious impermeable gloves is HIGHLY discouraged.

John

ETA:  Leave all that exposed crap OUTDOORS!!!  Or double bag it in air-tight bags (and leave it outdoors).

Why would a lithium battery produce hyrdrofluoric acid?
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 4:19:28 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Yes they do and I tell you that stuff is nasty! info on HF As far as I know it only produces it when the battery fails. HF doesn't exists till the batteries start to heat up and at that point some chemical reaction takes place.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 4:31:16 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes they do and I tell you that stuff is nasty! info on HF As far as I know it only produces it when the battery fails. HF doesn't exists till the batteries start to heat up and at that point some chemical reaction takes place.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I know the hazards of Hydrofluoric acid, but why would a lithium ion battery produce HF under heat?

Since there is no flourine in a Lithium ion battery, why would it make HF?  I could be wrong of course, but I just don't see it.

Also, looking at all the applications of the lithium ion battery, inculding its uses in PDAs, the Nintendo Gameboy, and millions of other electrical devices, I would think that a battery that could produce an acid that will eat through glass wouldn't be so popular....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top