Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2006 12:31:28 PM EDT
I'm going to be in Salt Lake City next month and need ideas for overnight lodging.

What I'm looking for:

#1 Comparatively inexpensive. (I just need a place to sleep, though I will pay a little more for #s 3 and/or 4)

#2 Somewhere near the path from the airport to the Utah BCI office (on 5400)

#3 Internet service would be Very Nice. Free is better, wireless even more so.

#4 Shuttle service from airport, to BCI would be a nice touch, but not essential.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I know it's not exactly a party place mecca, but darn it, someone around here has to have passed through SLC once upon a misdirected journey...
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 5:57:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 6:26:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I go to SLC several times a year to ski (greatest snow on earth!).  I usually stay south of town in the Midvale/Sandy area.   The La Quinta in Midvale or the Extended Stay in Sandy are both good.   The Midvale La Quinta is 150 yards from the light rail Paek and Ride which is very convenient.   The ski bus works from the same location.   If you ski or ride, don't miss the chance to make turns while you are there.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#4]
i work in slc often and stay at various different hotels.  i typically rent a car, so im not sure about #4.

i like to stay downtown at the peery hotel www.peeryhotel.com/ .  the rooms are about $100, they have free wireless internet and its got a great location for dining in walking distance.  however, it is an old remodeled hotel and the rooms are small.

sometimes i stay at the little america hotel.  its a bit more expensive, but still located great and they may have more shuttle options. www.littleamerica.com/slc/

i also stay at the "downtown marriot" .  its pretty typical. marriott.com/property/propertypage/SLCUT

try this for some other options... maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=hotels+near+salt+lake+city,+ut&ie=UTF8&z=13&om=1

or this if you'd like to be closer to the bci: maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=hotels+near+murray,+ut&ie=UTF8&z=12&ll=40.667098,-111.887512&spn=0.1263,0.302124&om=1
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 6:50:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I stay at the Hilton downtown because I want to support Paris Hilton's wardrobe and penicillian (sp?) shots.

Seriously, it's a nice place.  Don't stay at the Marriott (dirty rooms) or the Inn at Temple Square (the valet crashed my pickup into a pole).
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#6]
No worries about clumsy valets or ski poles... I'm going to be flying in on a Friday evening, sleeping overnight, visiting the BCI building for several hours, then getting a taxi or shuttle back to the airport to leave. I'm all up for shuttles, but I'm just as good with a few short taxi rides if the lodging price is that much lower.

I'll have to look into it a bit more. Thanks for all the links!

Now to find one that meets my priorities...
Wireless (free)
inexpensive
not too far from BCi and/or airport
shuttle service (airport / bci)
any old type of internet
inexpensive
minimal small animal population

This is going to be a severe culture shock I imagine... going directly from the Mirage in Las Vegas to a cheap room in SLC... Oh My!
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 7:28:34 PM EDT
[#7]
So far I've found the La Quinta and Candlewood Suites.

They both look pretty good, have free internet, and will not cost an excessive amount. (that darn AAA card is finally paying off on something besides towtrucks!)

Opinions on those two?

Other options I'm missing?

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 12:15:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't know about hotels in the area of the BCI but, are you going to Impact Guns or the BCI? FYI the BCI is closed saturdays.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 12:38:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So far I've found the La Quinta and Candlewood Suites.

They both look pretty good, have free internet, and will not cost an excessive amount. (that darn AAA card is finally paying off on something besides towtrucks!)

Opinions on those two?

Other options I'm missing?

Thanks guys!

Dunno bout SLC but La Quinta/Candlewood are very good hotels.  Have stayed at them before and wouldnt hesitate to stay again.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 3:47:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I don't know about hotels in the area of the BCI but, are you going to Impact Guns or the BCI? FYI the BCI is closed saturdays.

BCI (not familiar with Impact Guns)
.... and BCI is opening Nov 18 for a special class.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 2:52:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Crystal Inn - locally owned & operated, nice moderately priced hotel. Otherwise, Hoteal Monaco baby!
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#12]
You can goto the UTA (Utah Transit Authority) http://www.rideuta.com/schedulesAndMaps/tripPlanner/
web page and plan a trip, I added one from the airport to the BCI for $1.50 but it takes nearly 2 hours to get there. I did a quick check at Hertz and it would cost you 33.42 to have a Hyundai Accent overnight, it's a 13 minute drive from the airport to the BCI according to map quest. I'd say spend the $ 33 and save the time and hassle. If you want to stop by Impact Guns( http://www.impactguns.com/store/salt_lake_map.html ), it is 1.5 miles from the BCI.

Trip Planner ---------------------

Depart Time and Date: November 18, 2006 9:45 PM
Starting Location: AIRPORT SALT LAKE INTL
Destination Location: 3888 W 5400 S

Itinerary 1
Total Fare: $1.50
Total Transfers: 2
Total Travel Time: 1 Hour(s) 42 Minute(s) which includes 6 Minute(s) walking time
Approximate walking distance: 1230 Feet.

Depart from your starting location of AIRPORT SALT LAKE INTL

Walk to stop located at 4000 W @ 400 N
Board Route #56 Airport/West Valley to Meadowbrook TRAX at 9:56 PM
Get off at stop located at 3500 S @ 3465 W at 10:08 PM
Then

Walk to stop located at 3500 S @ 3610 W
Board Route #37 Magna Westbound at 10:32 PM
Get off at stop located at 3500 S @ 3980 W at 10:34 PM
Then

Walk to stop located at 4000 W @ 3540 S
Board Route #34 KEARNS TO JORDAN LANDING (On Detour*) at 11:21 PM
Get off at stop located at 4015 W @ 5344 S at 11:32 PM
Walk to your final destination of 3888 W 5400 S

Link Posted: 10/21/2006 8:12:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I am right now in SLC for a convention.  I rented a car so I cannot comment on your trasportation issues other than the place I am staying does have a shuttle service.  I am staying at the Residence Inn Cottonwood (a Marriott property).  It is 100$ a night but has free broadband and breakfast is included (real breakfast).  Also, if you have not stayed at a Residence Inn before, it is like a studio apartment with a full refrigerator, laundry machines, stove, microwave, coffee machine, dishes that are cleaned for you, the works..  I like the setup, some dont.  Oh, I had a grat Gyro and Hummus at a place right around the corner tonight as well.  Hope this helps.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top