Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2006 5:06:29 AM EDT
Wife's side of the family came over the other day and one of the kids picked it up, turned it on, and BOOM!  The thing went Sgt Hulka and "blowed up, Sir."  Well, actually the batteries blew up.  It was so hot the you could not hold onto it.  Blew out both the clear lense and the red filter, but the light bulb was still in one piece.  It also made a hell of a stink (as in it really smelled bad) Anyway, here are the pics, for what it's worth.

Link Posted: 10/18/2006 5:10:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd notify the company; you'll probably get a new light out of the deal.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 5:10:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow. Did it happen as soon as it was turned on?
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 5:10:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 5:12:33 AM EDT
[#4]
email them and let us know the outcome  
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 5:20:22 AM EDT
[#5]
We recently had surefire light catch fire mounted to an AR and surefire advised that cheap litium batteries were the cause. They replaced the light, but warned against using batteries other than known name brand. I don't know all the specifics, but it had something to do with the batteries discharging at unequal rates and recharging each other when the light is off. Surefire said the higher quality batteries have a circuit of some sort that prevents them from recharging each other.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 5:21:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Hmm.  Must have an "unsupported chamber".

Glad no one was hurt though.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 5:22:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
We recently had surefire light catch fire mounted to an AR and surefire advised that cheap litium batteries were the cause. They replaced the light, but warned against using batteries other than known name brand. I don't know all the specifics, but it had something to do with the batteries discharging at unequal rates and recharging each other when the light is off. Surefire said the higher quality batteries have a circuit of some sort that prevents them from recharging each other.

Now that is interesting.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 5:23:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh shit NOT another "KABOOMED" thread.  Were you using reloads????  
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 5:24:07 AM EDT
[#9]
What brand batteries were those?
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 5:25:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I saw a Streamlight M6light/laser combo blow up at a gun store once, caught fire and everything
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 5:26:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It's called cell reversal. I'd be surprised if the quality batteries actually had diodes or any other circuitry, I think it's just a matter of them having less variation in potential and internal resistance.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 5:26:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Exactly.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 5:28:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

sony?

Link Posted: 10/18/2006 5:30:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Wow, that is strange.

I had my surefire on for about an hour last night while I was drilling some holes. I noticed that it got damn hot and wondered if it could get hot enough to start a fire or melt something.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 5:30:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

GLOCK opps wrong thread.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 5:54:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Yep - thermal runaway in LiIon batteries will do that.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 5:55:20 AM EDT
[#17]
dam
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 6:43:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

There are no markings on the batteries other than "Lithium Battery", "+ CR 123A" and "3.0V"  I got the batteries at the same time/place as the light.  Always worked okay before, but not that last time.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 6:45:30 AM EDT
[#19]
So I've got potential fire bombs all over my house??  Next we will be warned not to keep flashlights loaded!!   I see a new law.  Easily accessible explosive flashlights are the problem.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 6:46:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I only use Surefire lithium batteries, I can't remember who actually makes them. Anyway, I've considered buying some cheap ones in bulk, but maybe I just changed my mind. Call Streamlight, they will give you a new light, I'd almost bet ya.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 6:49:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 6:50:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Lithium batteries are amazing.    What other batteries double as bombs?

Any high power density battery has the potential to create hazards.  When so much
energy is released in a short time in a small package,  things are going to happen.

I would never buy an aftermarket lithium battery.

A poorly engineered or manufactured lithium battery may explode.

CJ
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 6:50:45 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
So I've got potential fire bombs all over my house??  Next we will be warned not to keep flashlights loaded!!   I see a new law.  Easily accessible explosive flashlights are the problem.  

Yup, gotta ban those assault flashlights... for the children!
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 6:57:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Yikes - two in one week...

Anyone had problems with Pentagonlight batts? I have a few dozen of those and SureFire brand batts. I will not buy off branders ever now that I've read these reports.

Glad the kid is OK (sounds like it anyway).

edit: I think I am going to move my batteries out into the garage or something ... yikes.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 7:01:51 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Lithium-Ion batteries have some peculiar qualities, among them are (this is from memory, so if I screw up...):

- a limited lifespan, somewhere in the timespan of 2 to 3 years. After that the potential for exploding goes up.  The cheap Li-Ion batteries are generally older ones without a lot of life left in them.

- might explode if you overcharge them or if you store them long-term with a full charge.

- might explode if you store them with a low charge.

- liked to be stored in a mid-charged state.

- Don't like to be kept topped off, it is better to run them down and then recharge them.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 7:06:39 AM EDT
[#26]
I doubt its the flashlight's fault.  Its most likely the batteries.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 7:07:55 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I doubt its the flashlight's fault.  Its most likely the batteries.

This is probably true.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 7:24:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Shit batteries...get some CR123's from batterystation.com with your candlepowerforums.com discount. They're like $1 each. Post this over on CPF forums as well.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 7:36:29 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Hmm.  Must have an "unsupported chamber".

Glad no one was hurt though.

I am not able to but I really wish sombody would photoshop "GLOCK" onto the side of that light or the batteries.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 7:57:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 8:03:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quality lithium batteries have a protection circuit.  The cheap Chinese imports usually do not.  Check out candlepowerforums.com for lots of good info.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 8:21:58 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lithium-Ion batteries have some peculiar qualities, among them are (this is from memory, so if I screw up...):

- a limited lifespan, somewhere in the timespan of 2 to 3 years. After that the potential for exploding goes up.  The cheap Li-Ion batteries are generally older ones without a lot of life left in them.

- might explode if you overcharge them or if you store them long-term with a full charge.

- might explode if you store them with a low charge.

- liked to be stored in a mid-charged state.

- Don't like to be kept topped off, it is better to run them down and then recharge them.

- Can become annoyed with small children or house pets

- Do not use if batteries appear moody or emotional

- Do not tease or taunt Lithium batteries
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 8:35:54 AM EDT
[#33]
"Ha ha" - Nelson!
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 8:58:06 AM EDT
[#34]
I have a lithium ion battery in my Powerbook.  At 4 years old it still looks like a new battery when I run a battery diagnostic on it.  It's not run down very often as it's mostly on the desktop with an AC adaptor.  Sony and Apple had massive recalls of LiOn batteries.

I use Surefire for the 123's and Brand names for other Lithiums.  The AA Energizer Lithiums are good for camera flash but of course, aren't rechargeable.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 9:02:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Never had a problem with the lithium battery in my laptop, digi cam, or anything else!
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 9:19:00 AM EDT
[#36]
What could be wrong with the light?  Think about it -- they pretty much either work, or they don't.  

Some battery comnpanies offer to replace the light if damaged by their batteries, so just send it to the no-name battery company in, uh, probably somewhere in China.  Yeah, that should work.

The only light defect that could have caused this would be if the flashlight has a charging circuit that went bad.

You didn't use the non-rechargeable 123's in a light designed for 123R's, did you?

And is "04-05" an expiration date?
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 9:21:58 AM EDT
[#37]
  Where is the ATF arbitrary opinion that they are destructive devices?
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 9:35:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top