Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/20/2006 9:39:57 PM EDT
Looking at the unbelievably idiotic fact of muqtada al sadyr's continued existence, it occurs to me that the only way iraq can hope to combat corruption, regional militias, and the nature of an indigenous people who hate each other is to reform a storied standard from the old days... the republican guards.

Staff it with government loyalists garrisoned in one location, not necessarily in or around Baghdad.  Keep it separate from the rest of the population long enough, possibly a year or so, to achieve it's own identity.  Make it 150000 strong, and recruit the best and brightest.  Tell them that instead of being attacked while standing in line, they'll be whisked away for a year of intense training, good eating, and will be instrumental in the survival of a strong, centrally governed iraq.  Lord knows there are enough courageous people over there, but conditions in the current forces aren't conducive to long term loyalty leading to long term survival.  Give the members of the new republican guard pride in being the elite future of iraqs forces, and condition them to treasure above all else their brothers in arms.

Then, perhaps a year from now when 800 goons from the mahdi army drive around in jeeps with rpg's in another border town, send 10000 of these guys armed to the teeth to bring order.  

Oh... and kill Muqtada Al Sadyr.  Zarqawi style.  This week, next week, it doesn't matter.  He represents a future iraq that would be a disgusting failure if we allow it to happen.

Link Posted: 10/20/2006 9:44:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I give your post a 6.

It would have gotten a higher score but we had a "Put Saddam Back In Charge" post just the other day.

So you get a 6.
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I give your post a 6.

It would have gotten a higher score but we had a "Put Saddam Back In Charge" post just the other day.

So you get a 6.

Actually, I was proposing the establishment of a blunt-force instrument of military power that was able to maintain an identity through a combination of heritage (hence the name), unity of purpose, and give it an elevated morale and purpose.   A large, centrally located, elite unit of cohesive and, above all, loyal to the government troops seems to me an ideal countermeasure to the splintering of radicalized militias and shadowy regional authorities.
Since I didn't mention saddam in any way, or imply anything but that the central iraqi government currently in place needed this tool, I'm going to assume you either aren't paying attention, or are being intentionally disingenuous.
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 10:06:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I give your post a 6.

So you get a 6.

Actually, I was proposing the establishment of a blunt-force instrument of military power that was able to maintain an identity through a combination of heritage (hence the name), unity of purpose, and give it an elevated morale and purpose.   A large, centrally located, elite unit of cohesive and, above all, loyal to the government troops seems to me an ideal countermeasure to the splintering of radicalized militias and shadowy regional authorities.
Since I didn't mention saddam in any way, or imply anything but that the central iraqi government currently in place needed this tool, I'm going to assume you either aren't paying attention, or are being intentionally disingenuous.

Oh ok. 4
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 10:08:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I give your post a 6.

So you get a 6.

Oh ok. 4

Feeling generous Aug?

No higher than a 2 .
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 10:11:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Feeling generous Aug?

No higher than a 2 .

I'm not exactly bowled over by the keen debating skills of the two stooges thus far.
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 10:13:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Feeling generous Aug?

No higher than a 2 .

I'm not exactly bowled over by the keen debating skills of the two stooges thus far.

Oh burn man. He got us. Just burned us. No way we can show ourselves in the lunchroom now. That was a total burn man.
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 10:20:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Feeling generous Aug?

No higher than a 2 .

Oh burn man. He got us. Just burned us. No way we can show ourselves in the lunchroom now. That was a total burn man.

The least you could do is answer the thread based on its content.  Bufoonery isn't the answer, man!
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 10:31:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Feeling generous Aug?

No higher than a 2 .

The least you could do is answer the thread based on its content.  Bufoonery isn't the answer, man!

Dude...you are going to like totally rule the playground.
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 10:36:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 10:41:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
There's a war in Iraq?

Again?

Yeah...apparantly...from what I think the original poster said....the Republican Guard went underground and has now launched a counter offensive. Seems we have to start this war all over again from the beginning. I hope we find Saddam faster this time.

Link Posted: 10/20/2006 10:53:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 10:55:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Where do all these fucking retards come from?
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 3:53:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The public school system unfortunately.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 3:57:51 AM EDT
[#14]
And in todays breaking news, the Iraqi Army ran Al Sadr out of Al Amarah this morning…

ANdy
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 3:59:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Bufoonery?

I like it!
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 4:54:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Bufoonery?

I like it!

The precursor to shenanigans. It's only a matter of time...
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 5:01:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
And in todays breaking news, the Iraqi Army ran Al Sadr out of Al Amarah this morning…

ANdy

How do you equate "run him out" to negotiated their withdrawal with a top aid of Al Sadrs?
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 5:05:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

DU.

ETA:

Ah crap, I just wasted my 8,000th post in a retarded Arfcommie thread...
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 5:15:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Oh God, no, not shenanigans.

Well, OK, shenanigans in Iraq, but not here in America.

PS, give all those madi army guys a good shellacing with a shillelagh (pronunced shuh-Lay-lee).  

Unfortunately Sadam did the things he did for a reason.  It worked.  

We might witness deja vu all over again.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 5:15:16 AM EDT
[#20]
I have read his post through a couple of times now and I cannot see ANYTHING even remotely resembling a troll.

His suggestion is actually pretty decent - well thought out and eloquent.

Don't be so quick to jump on someone, lest YOU end up looking like the buffoon.

Link Posted: 10/21/2006 5:17:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I have read his post through a couple of times now and I cannot see ANYTHING even remotely resembling a troll.

I too. Interesting thought
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 5:31:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Yes...... I 2 thought he had an interesting idea, but the name would have to go as the republican guard was Sodoms elite , deathsquad, private killers, murderers. He has a valid idea even though I really dont have a clue why he's here preaching to us uneducated buffoons!
It was a good post though!
M4
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 5:42:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw some sense in what went into the OP's post.

Arfcom, you're slipping
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 5:46:09 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw some sense in what went into the OP's post.

Arfcom, you're slipping

Actually, it is slipping, but not in the way you think.

The idea is not a sound one. What is the point of seperating them from the populace? So they too can be regarded as foreign invaders?

Sorry, this is an insurgency. The kill 'em all mentality doesn't work. It's about being relentless in will, not relenless in firepower.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 6:18:12 AM EDT
[#25]
I thought the idea was to restore Iraq so they could go back to killing each other, instead of Westerners?

You ain't gonna stop Sunnis and Shiites from killing each other.

They may be assholes, but once they leave the middle east and move to America, they usually stop. Must be the water, or the lack of it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 6:18:19 AM EDT
[#26]

nuff said
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 7:12:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Its too bad Britain didnt invade America in 1859. Im sure with enough bitch slapping they wouldve stopped the civil war altogether. First they stomp out the guts of the CSA for being pro-slavery, then when some of the Federal troops attack them from the rear to "drive the John bulls out" then they can attack the feds too! all in the name of stopping the civil war. well it made sense to whitehall at the time.......
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 7:56:10 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ANdy

How do you equate "run him out" to negotiated their withdrawal with a top aid of Al Sadrs?

Al Sadr always claims he 'negotiated' his withdrawel… he keeps doing that with us down south. His goons grab a .Gov office, UK forces turn up, he runs away bravely and issues a statement that he 'negotiated' a handover of the building… Same old Al Sadr, same old Al Sadr BS…

ANdy
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 7:59:15 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I give your post a 6.

So you get a 6.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 8:00:15 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Feeling generous Aug?

No higher than a 2 .

You ain't doing so hot yourself there slick LOL
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 8:01:08 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Feeling generous Aug?

No higher than a 2 .

You would be the expert in that field  
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 8:02:42 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I know some retarded folks who would take offense at being compared to Fast_Jimmy
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 8:05:55 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Thats a lollapalooza of a statement, care to tell us why?
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 8:14:32 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Its too bad Britain didnt invade America in 1859. Im sure with enough bitch slapping they wouldve stopped the civil war altogether. First they stomp out the guts of the CSA for being pro-slavery, then when some of the Federal troops attack them from the rear to "drive the John bulls out" then they can attack the feds too! all in the name of stopping the civil war. well it made sense to whitehall at the time.......

Did you forget the North had slaves too?
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 8:39:18 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I thought the idea was to restore Iraq so they could go back to killing each other, instead of Westerners?

They may be assholes, but once they leave the middle east and move to America, they usually stop. Must be the water, or the lack of it.

Why is that ? We have whole cities full of Arabs here in MI and other than the rare honor killing,  their neighborhoods are totally peaceful. When you hear about an Arab murdered here it's almost always a store clerk killed by a Hip Urbanite(TM) not a Shiite,Sunni thing.

Link Posted: 10/21/2006 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why is that ? We have whole cities full of Arabs here in MI and other than the rare honor killing,  their neighborhoods are totally peaceful. When you hear about an Arab murdered here it's almost always a store clerk killed by a Hip Urbanite(TM) not a Shiite,Sunni thing.

No beer.
No womenz.
Living in a desert.
Hot as fuck.

I'd be in a killing mood too.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 9:17:41 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

This part right here.

Fast_Jimmy
Team Member

Link Posted: 10/21/2006 9:20:07 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Looking at the unbelievably idiotic fact of muqtada al sadyr's continued existence, it occurs to me that the only way iraq can hope to combat corruption, regional militias, and the nature of an indigenous people who hate each other is to reform a storied standard from the old days... the republican guards.

Staff it with government loyalists garrisoned in one location, not necessarily in or around Baghdad.  Keep it separate from the rest of the population long enough, possibly a year or so, to achieve it's own identity.  Make it 150000 strong, and recruit the best and brightest.  Tell them that instead of being attacked while standing in line, they'll be whisked away for a year of intense training, good eating, and will be instrumental in the survival of a strong, centrally governed iraq.  Lord knows there are enough courageous people over there, but conditions in the current forces aren't conducive to long term loyalty leading to long term survival.  Give the members of the new republican guard pride in being the elite future of iraqs forces, and condition them to treasure above all else their brothers in arms.

Then, perhaps a year from now when 800 goons from the mahdi army drive around in jeeps with rpg's in another border town, send 10000 of these guys armed to the teeth to bring order.  

Oh... and kill Muqtada Al Sadyr.  Zarqawi style.  This week, next week, it doesn't matter.  He represents a future iraq that would be a disgusting failure if we allow it to happen.

right idea, wrong folks, what you wanna do is put the mongols in charge.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you forget the North had slaves too?

And that the CSA was getting their rifles from GB?
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 9:57:31 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Arfcom, you're slipping

The idea is not a sound one. What is the point of seperating them from the populace? So they too can be regarded as foreign invaders?

Sorry, this is an insurgency. The kill 'em all mentality doesn't work. It's about being relentless in will, not relenless in firepower.

The point of seperating them from the populace for a significant period is to give them time to form a single cohesive identity.  Give them a chance to be soldiers in the iraqi army first and foremost without immediately thrusting them into regionalized conflicts where their loyalties may not be with the central governments.

They wouldn't have to be called republican guards, but a heavily armed, cohesive force of iraqis that can hold its own without intimate guidance from the US is our goal anyway.  The US military is rife with decorated, recognized divisions and units.  If the iraqi's have any equivalent to some of these, it's the republican guards.  Perhaps pride in the strength of iraqs past military can help inspire its future.  They may have been sadaams tool of oppression, but they can be Malakis instrument of securing a free, unified iraq.

Finally, it is in no way a kill em all post.  They will be expected to do the same kind of dirty work we're currently doing the heavy lifting on... stability, militia control, counterinsurgency/intelligence.   The iraqi army in its current iteration is a good start, but people now feel safer siding with militias than trusting government forces.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 10:02:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Dude, your suggestion was already tried...The Iraqi Special Police Commandos, now called the National Police...
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 10:04:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Too bad they are all dead.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 10:04:40 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

This part right here.

Fast_Jimmy
Team Member

Usually, if you want to engage in a three page session of mutually nurturing rhetorical dick sucking about how cleanly and decisively you've out-debated someone who doesn't agree with you, you actually participate in the argument first.
I still have no idea whether you've actually read the initial post.  I'm sure some of the others haven't.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 10:06:45 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Feeling generous Aug?

No higher than a 2 .

This is ARFCOM's playground after all.  What do you expect on a saturday night when most posters are drunk
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 10:11:25 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Dude, your suggestion was already tried...The Iraqi Special Police Commandos, now called the National Police...

The national police are a disaster, of course.  How they were allowed to descend into their current role as essentially a state authorized death squad raises other questions about our level of control there, and the leadership we're trying to support.
Unless we're willing to admit that removing hussein opened a pandoras box of tensions and hatred that cannot be controlled, which would be tantamount to defeat given how ardently we've called for a unified, democratic iraq, we need to find a way to move forward.
There is no rule that the strongest, most dangerous force in iraq after our forces needs to be a sectarian militia.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 10:12:45 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Feeling generous Aug?

No higher than a 2 .

This is ARFCOM's playground after all.  What do you expect on a saturday night when most posters are drunk

I do like it lively, there's no doubt about that!
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 10:14:39 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DU.

ETA:

Ah crap, I just wasted my 8,000th post in a retarded Arfcommie thread...

So put in some BOTD pics and get this thread locked!
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 10:24:05 PM EDT
[#48]
I know about the disaster, I was with them for 18 months, one of the original 3 Americans assigned to create the unit from the ground up....

Not all of them are bad, the Counter-terrorist team is good to go (God Bless my boys) and one of the battalions is led by a smart, aggressive LTC, but the rest....

Link Posted: 10/21/2006 10:35:52 PM EDT
[#49]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Arfcom, you're slippinghe

The point of seperating them from the populace for a significant period is to give them time to form a single cohesive identity.  Give them a chance to be soldiers in the iraqi army first and foremost without immediately thrusting them into regionalized conflicts where their loyalties may not be with the central governments.

They wouldn't have to be called republican guards, but a heavily armed, cohesive force of iraqis that can hold its own without intimate guidance from the US is our goal anyway.  The US military is rife with decorated, recognized divisions and units.  If the iraqi's have any equivalent to some of these, it's the republican guards.  Perhaps pride in the strength of iraqs past military can help inspire its future.  They may have been sadaams tool of oppression, but they can be Malakis instrument of securing a free, unified iraq.

Finally, it is in no way a kill em all post.  They will be expected to do the same kind of dirty work we're currently doing the heavy lifting on... stability, militia control, counterinsurgency/intelligence.   The iraqi army in its current iteration is a good start, but people now feel safer siding with militias than trusting government forces.

Sorry, but this is naive. You would have the same problem trying to put together a new republican guard as there's been trying to put together the Iraqi army or police. How would you prevent it from being infiltrated by those loyal to the insurgency, militias, their own sect, Iran, etc.?

Iraq is f*cked and most of America now understands this, which is why the Dems will win one or both houses of Congress. Iraq is now a terrorist haven and training ground where it wasn't before. Al Qaeda operates freely there where they didn't before. Our own military just admitted that it's plan to bring Baghdad security has not succeeded.

We need to give the country back to Saddam, but actually to another strong leader like him to keep the country under control.

If we insist on the square peg in round hole approach of trying to make a weak democracy work in Iraq we should put our money where our mouths are and double or triple our troop levels in Iraq (and also in Afghanistan) and also double or triple the spending.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Arfcom, you're slipping

Sorry, but this is naive. You would have the same problem trying to put together a new republican guard as there's been trying to put together the Iraqi army or police. How would you prevent it from being infiltrated by those loyal to the insurgency, militias, their own sect, Iran, etc.?

Iraq is f*cked and most of America now understands this, which is why the Dems will win one or both houses of Congress. Iraq is now a terrorist haven and training ground where it wasn't before. Al Qaeda operates freely there where they didn't before. Our own military just admitted that it's plan to bring Baghdad security has not succeeded.

We need to give the country back to Saddam, but actually to another strong leader like him to keep the country under control.

If we insist on the square peg in round hole approach of trying to make a weak democracy work in Iraq we should put our money where our mouths are and double or triple our troop levels in Iraq (and also in Afghanistan) and also double or triple the spending.

I believe I addressed some of your concerns about the difficulty of preventing infiltration by giving this force a large period of training separate from the populace, along with various other tactics, such as careful vetting.  Keeping foreign fighters out is simple enough.  The one main area, critical at this time, where this force would be similar to the old republican guards is that it would function independently of the regular army, and somewhat isolated from the general population.

I agree that we need more troops right now.  If our commanders are openly admitting that much of their anbar province activity, particularly in ramadi, is limited to station holding due to insufficient force, then we need to get to work.  Imagine if we had simply stationed 2500 troops in central fallujah two years ago instead of taking it back by blunt force and killing 1200 insurgents.  We lost fifty in that battle, but would probably have lost four to five times that in a holding action since then.

the most important thing isn't any one tactic or plan.  It's vital that we continue to push our strengths, find new ways to marginalize the insurgents and bring stability and economic viability in whatever increments necessary.  Pulling needed forces out of other areas to help in baghdad without reinforcing them or increasing beyond the politically imposed 'ceiling' of 150000 troops is a pretty transparent failure to take the fight to the enemy.  Of course, whether or not malaki is committed to ending sectarian violence, or whether he plans to profit from it is still a question of much debate.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top