Link Posted: 3/18/2007 11:55:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh Snap!
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#3]
height=8
Quoted:
That is a cast part, whatever it is.

It is plastic... I noticed that it was broken when I was folding the gun up, I have a feeling that it broke while firin because I noticed my group was starting to suck... I guess I am lucky.
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Any other info on how it happened?

Round count?

What caliber and type (Glock, etc.)?

Did it happen while you were shooting it or folding it?
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 11:59:10 AM EDT
[#5]
height=8
Quoted:
Oh Snap!

LOL, literally
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 11:59:21 AM EDT
[#6]
From the Keltec website:

Q : How do I get a broken or lost part for my Kel-Tec firearm?  
 A :  Broken parts must be replaced and are usually covered under our lifetime warranty, free of charge. The only charge
to you is shipping the broken part or firearm to our factory. Lost parts are not covered by the warranty and must be purchased from customer service, here.
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 11:59:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That is a cast part, whatever it is.

It is plastic... I noticed that it was broken when I was folding the gun up, I have a feeling that it broke while firin because I noticed my group was starting to suck... I guess I am lucky.

Then it was injection molded. My first impression was that it was cast aluminum or pewter.
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#8]
height=8
Quoted:

Round count?

I'd say it has a couple of thousand rounds on it. Chambered in 9mm using the S&W 59 mags and it did happen while shooting, when I went to fold it it just came apart. I never felt it break.

ETA: it was friggin cold out which may have played a part
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 12:08:31 PM EDT
[#9]
When you send it back, have them upgrade it to the current receiver type or have them throw in the ejection port clip. They changed the shape and design of the ejection port hood on the later models. On the older models like yours, the brass would hit the hood just aft of the port and deform the plastic enough to alter the direction the spent brass flies. This results in spent brass bouncing back into the action and doing a sort of "cookie cutter" thing to the forward part of the ejection port when the bolt comes forward. They came up with a little metal clip that you can epoxy onto the hood which will solve the problem, but they've since redesigned the hood to remedy this problem. Ask them about it when you send it back.
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 12:11:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Oh Snap!

hahaha, I almost lost a mouthfull of coffee on that one...
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 12:17:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Keltec Sub2000

Link Posted: 3/18/2007 12:17:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My first impression was that it was cast aluminum or pewter.

Did the chamber expand to cause the crack?
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 12:20:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Round count?

I'd say it has a couple of thousand rounds on it. Chambered in 9mm using the S&W 59 mags and it did happen while shooting, when I went to fold it it just came apart. I never felt it break.

ETA: it was friggin cold out which may have played a part

I want to get a Glock 9mm version since I own a G17 and I have many mags.  I actually ordered one on Thursday.  From what I've read, they don't break easily.  It may have had something to do with the cold.  Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 12:22:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Keltec Sub2000

Have you had problems with the one you own/owned?
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 12:36:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Can the barrel on these be threaded?
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Keltec Sub2000

I can honestly answer YES to your question. They fall under the same realm as Jennings and Ravens, throw away Piece of Shit.
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Thats got to suck! Thats the second broke Kel-tech I've seen on this site. The other one was the 223 version and it was a KABOOM!
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Keltec Sub2000

I can honestly answer YES to your question. They fall under the same realm as Jennings and Ravens, throw away Piece of Shit.

did you throw yours away? Cause I would give you fifty bucks for it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#19]
made in the USA isnt as good as it use to be
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#20]
you get what you pay for

for the money, keltec is good shit

i've owned keltec in the past- i will own keltec in the future
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll bet they take care of you, no questions asked. Their customer service is apparently top notch. I've personally never had to test it with the KT's I've owned, but they do have a great reputation.
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 1:33:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 1:40:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Cold temps and carbon fiber/plastic dont do well.  Most of the failures we've seen of carbon 15s Sub2ks etc have been in colder temp zomes.  Maybe theres a reason my dealers wont carry carbon guns.

SW
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#24]
height=8
Quoted:
When you send it back, have them upgrade it to the current receiver type or have them throw in the ejection port clip. They changed the shape and design of the ejection port hood on the later models. On the older models like yours, the brass would hit the hood just aft of the port and deform the plastic enough to alter the direction the spent brass flies. This results in spent brass bouncing back into the action and doing a sort of "cookie cutter" thing to the forward part of the ejection port when the bolt comes forward. They came up with a little metal clip that you can epoxy onto the hood which will solve the problem, but they've since redesigned the hood to remedy this problem. Ask them about it when you send it back.

Thanks for the advice. I will make sure to ask them that. This will be the second time I have had to send it back. The first time it was sent back because the gun would jam on every round... they ended up replacing the bolt and it was good up until now. I'll keep everyone posted
Link Posted: 5/31/2007 8:20:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I sent it in three weeks ago and got it back today.  From the look of it they replaced everything.  I'll give you guys a range report on Saturday.  Can't beat their customer service that's for sure !!!
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 4:08:28 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I sent it in three weeks ago and got it back today.  From the look of it they replaced everything.  I'll give you guys a range report on Saturday.  Can't beat their customer service that's for sure !!!

Thanks for the update!
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 4:46:42 AM EDT
[#27]
damn, I know guys who use that for a pack gun or shtf gun. No not for me.
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 4:57:17 AM EDT
[#28]
I think I need bigger pictures to make a proper judgement.

Link Posted: 6/1/2007 5:04:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Kel-Tec is good people, and good guns.  They do seem to have a few more lemons than you hear from other gun makers. But they seem to always put it right if you get one.  I own two, have owned three, and I have never been unhappy with their product.
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 5:05:36 AM EDT
[#30]
I enjoy the hell outta my Sub2000 - I can hit clay targets at 100 yards with ease.  It was spot on right outta the box!
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 5:10:46 AM EDT
[#31]
That's a bummer.

I had a Sub2000 for a month before I sold it.
No real problems, just a crappy trigger and poor ergonomics.
In the end, it just wasn't interesting.

Kel-Tec has a great reputation for making things right, but I think their designs aren't that robust, so they have a lot of practice at the Customer Service game.
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 5:29:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Some of us millions of "gunnies" love the military, black rifle look and feel. Its sad how much a good, tough AR. AK, set us back. But the primary point to remember is,
Does the weapon of my choice hold up to thousands of rounds fired without breakage,
is it made from best rate materials, and is there the slightest chance it will fail me in a situation like home invasion, SHTF, or whatever?

I won't bad mouth Keltek firearms, But if my rifle is on a FedEx or UPS truck coming or going to be repaired and I need it, what then?

Link Posted: 6/1/2007 5:30:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 6:27:10 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Cold temps and carbon fiber/plastic dont do well.  Most of the failures we've seen of carbon 15s Sub2ks etc have been in colder temp zomes.  Maybe theres a reason my dealers wont carry carbon guns.

SW

What kind of failures are you seeing on the Carbon 15's? It get's pretty cold here in the winter, no problems yet but I wouldn't mind keeping an eye out on a potential problem...
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 6:32:41 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Keltec Sub2000

Ummmm? NO. These little carbines are fantastic. I have had the Glock fotey config for about three years. (no it has not exploded yet). These guns are reliable, durable, accurate, and fun...For there purpose. His broke, shit happens.

I like the ability to fold this gun up, put it in a soft side breif case with 3-4 extra mags, and take on a road trip. Best carbine our there for the money (IMO).
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 9:43:26 AM EDT
[#36]
I really wanted to like KT guns but my experience so far has been less than stellar.

Bought a P3AT for the wife six months ago, took it to the range to break it in, FTF and FTE on every shot.

Send it in, they fluff n buff or whatever, and send it back...and don't refund me the full cost of shipping...

take it to the range, put 100 rounds through it, seems to work fine.

A week ago, take it out to the range, put 2 mags through it, and the frame cracks all the way through in 2 places...just forward of the trigger guard, and at the rear of the grip.

Sorry, but that is not a dependable carry piece. Bought the wife a J-frame to replace it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Oh Snap!

LOL!

You don't post much, but when you do...
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 9:50:05 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Keltec Sub2000

Link Posted: 6/1/2007 10:15:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top