Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/20/2007 4:50:32 PM EDT
Girloy or boirl

Transgender Student Runs for Prom King
Email this Story

Apr 20, 8:26 PM (ET)

By GARANCE BURKE

(AP) Fresno High School senior Cinthia Covarrubias, the school's first transgender prom king candidate,...
Full Image

FRESNO, Calif. (AP) - When school officials announce the name of the Fresno High School prom king on Saturday, Cinthia Covarrubias will be wearing a tuxedo just like the six boys vying for the honor.

School officials this week added the 17-year-old's name to the ballot for prom king, reversing a previous district protocol that allowed only males to run for king and females for prom queen.

Gay youth advocates called it a landmark victory for campus gender expression and said they believe it's the first time in the U.S. that an openly transgender student has run for prom royalty.

Covarrubias, who wears black-and-white Vans, baggy shorts and close-cropped brown hair, sometimes identifies herself as Tony. Her date, a close female friend, plans to wear a black dress and red corsage to the prom at an outdoor reception hall surrounded by man-made waterfalls.

(AP) Fresno High School senior Cinthia Covarrubias, the school's first transgender prom king candidate,...
Full Image
"I would never have run for anything if I had to wear a dress," Covarrubias said.

She considers herself transgender, an umbrella term that covers all people whose outward appearance and internal identity don't match their gender at birth.

"My freshman year I just started feeling different," she said. "When I decided to change to be like this, all of a sudden I said, 'Wow, I feel OK. I feel like finally I'm being me.'"

She has no current plans, however, to permanently alter her gender through hormones or surgery.

A native of Jalisco, Mexico, Covarrubias said she has bucked rigid expectations of how a girl in her culture should behave. Explaining the meaning of terms like "queer" and "transgender" to her parents and eight siblings has at times been painful, she said.

Covarrubias said she was honored her classmates nominated her for prom king last Friday, but administrators quickly dampened her enthusiasm by saying she could only run for queen.

Tiffani Sanchez, a science teacher who advises the school's Gay-Straight Alliance, complained.

"Cinthia is still really learning who she is," she said. "We want her to know that there's a safe space for her here and we support her."

On Wednesday, school officials shifted course, saying the district's lawyers had recommended adding Covarrubias' name to the ballot to comply with a state law protecting students' ability to express their gender identity on campus.

"We always want to do the right thing by our students," Vice Principal Sheila Uriarte said. "This is why we came to this decision."

The law, passed in 2000, requires schools to protect students from discrimination on the basis of their sexuality, gender or "gender expression."

Gay and lesbian advocates say that means creating a comfortable environment for students like Covarrubias to cross-dress.

"It's really important for an individual student like Cinthia to be able to feel she has the same access to participate in this rite of passage," said Carolyn Laub, director of the Gay-Straight Alliance Network. "We are growing as a society to accept much more diversity in gender expression, and that's a positive thing."

Some students criticized the decision to put Covarrubias on the ballot.

"I like lesbians, but they shouldn't be allowed to run for king," said senior Erich Logan, 18, as he stood outside the stately high school building.

But Leanne Reyes, 16, said Covarrubias had her vote.

"It's not like the stereotype where the king has to be a jock and he's there with the cheerleaders anymore," said Reyes, a senior. "We live in a generation now where dudes are chicks and chicks are dudes."

Covarrubias is giddily looking forward to the prom, but acknowledged being a little nervous.

"I'm happy I actually made a difference about changing the law and the policy so you can run for your choice," Covarrubias said.

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#1]
MOTHERF**K I'm glad I got to go to high-school in the 70's.

I don't think I could take it these days
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 4:55:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#4]
L   O   L   A       LOLA

pa-15
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow that is some sick bullshit right their.  There is no way that should be tolerted much less legal.  I am so tired of all of this PC bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:01:32 PM EDT
[#6]
So, is she hot?

You all know you were wondering.

ETA: I just saw the pic. HELL NO SHE'S NOT HOT!
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:06:17 PM EDT
[#7]
height=8
Quoted:
...much less legal.

Alright, I'll bite. Why don't you think it should be legal?
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#8]
We got them running for office down here....

Stanton applies for city manager's job in Sarasota
Thursday, April 19, 2007

Steve Stanton, the former city manager of Largo, has applied for a similar position in Sarasota.

City commissioners fired Stanton in March after he announced he was a transgender and would be undergoing a sex change operation.

Stanton says he's one of 200 applicants for the Sarasota position and that the city wants to fill the position by the end of June. He said he's going to continue applying for other city manager positions.

Sarasota city commissioner Ken Shelin said Stanton will be judged solely on his ability to do the job.

"His gender reassignment surgery is not relevant in any way to his job performance and it surprises me that the Largo City Commission would fire somebody just because they were embarrassed," Shelin said.

Stanton said last week that he's planning to begin living as Susan by the end of May.

He also said he will not be suing Largo over the loss of his job. Stanton had worked 14 years as Largo's city manager, and 17 years altogether for the city.

This isn't the first time Stanton has applied for the city manager position in Sarasota. A few years ago he was among the finalists for the position, but in an ironic twist, Stanton withdrew his application after Largo requested him to stay with it.

An independent committee will narrow down the finalists for the city manager position, then city commissioners will make the ultimate decision. If Stanton makes the final cut, he'll likely interview as Susan Ashley Stanton.

www.baynews9.com/content/16/2007/4/19/240401.html?title=Stanton%20applies%20for%20city%20manager's%20job%20in%20Sarasota
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:08:09 PM EDT
[#9]
BFD

Publicity stunt.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#10]
You know, I have mixed feelings on this one.

While on one hand I'm glad she can be accepted for who she is, on the other hand I'm not entirely sure she should be THIS accepted.....
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#11]
height=8
Quoted:
So, is she hot? he

Uh, of course 'he' isn't "hot" to you. Do you understand what transgender means? He's trying to be a man, man.

So unless men are what tickles your pickle, you probably wouldn't find him very attractive. Surprise, surprise.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:10:00 PM EDT
[#12]
This would not have been allowed 10yrs ago. This is really messed up.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#13]
height=8
Quoted:
...I'm glad she can be accepted for who she is, on the other hand I'm not entirely sure she should be THIS accepted.....

Then evidently you are not glad that they're accepted.

You're either accepted, or you aren't. You can't be "half-way" accepted.

Now, I can understand accepting them for 'who they are', and not accepting the decision to let them compete for the title of Prom King. But the way you originally worded it made you sound like an ***. hinking.gif
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#14]
height=8
Quoted:
This would not have been allowed 10yrs ago. This is really messed up.

Yes, because ten years ago they probably would've been murdered. What's worse to you? Dead queers, or a little competition for some useless title at a high school?
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Am I hearing taps for America...............
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#16]
height=8
Quoted:

Stanton is not "running for office". He's applying for employment to a government job, one that he already possessed in a different city, but was fired for because he decided to get SRS.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#17]

On Wednesday, school officials shifted course, saying the district's lawyers had recommended adding Covarrubias' name to the ballot to comply with a state law protecting students' ability to express their gender identity on campus.

I love how the state is so intent on protecting students' right to "express their gender identity on campus" but not protect themselves on campus.

Is that not fucked up?
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:18:34 PM EDT
[#18]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8

I love how the state is so intent on protecting students' right to "express their gender identity on campus" but not protect themselves on campus.
hat

It's a high school, man.

Most of the kids going there aren't of age to buy a rifle, let alone a concealed handgun.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:46:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So, is she hot?

You all know you were wondering.

ETA: I just saw the pic. HELL NO SHE'S NOT HOT!

Uh, of course 'he' isn't "hot" to you. Do you understand what transgender means? He's trying to be a man, man.

"HE" is a FEMALE.  Last I checked we weren't referring to FEMALES as "He's".

SHE can be gay (And that's just fine if that's how SHE "Rolls") and fucked in the head as far as what HER Gender is but SHE AIN'T NO "HE" and making a sideshow out of that's schools prom in the name of PRENTENDING that SHE IS a HE is a fuckin' joke.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Good Lord!

I start reading and with a first hint of this maddness I .

Were the fuck we are going?
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:49:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:52:26 PM EDT
[#22]
height=8
Quoted:

...a fuckin' joke.

Being gay and being transgender are not the same thing.

I don't feel like continuing this discussion, because you've chosen to be vulgar and impolite rather than civilized.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:54:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...I'm glad she can be accepted for who she is, on the other hand I'm not entirely sure she should be THIS accepted.....

Then evidently you are not glad that they're accepted.

You're either accepted, or you aren't. You can't be "half-way" accepted.

Now, I can understand accepting them for 'who they are', and not accepting the decision to let them compete for the title of Prom King. But the way you originally worded it made you sound like an ***.

It was obviously worded well enough for you to get the point, so I assume your being a dick for no other reason then just to get your little jollies off online.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...a fuckin' joke.

I don't feel like continuing this discussion, because you've chosen to be vulgar and impolite rather than civilized.

Based on your replies in this thread, I have to ask....

What color are your panties, and what type of makeup do you wear sweetheart.

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#25]
height=8
Quoted:
... so I assume your being a dick for no other reason then just to get your little jollies off online.

No, I'm not, and if you took it that way then I owe you an apology: Sorry.

I was just pointing out that it was easy to take your comment in a pretty sideways fashion.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:57:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... so I assume your being a dick for no other reason then just to get your little jollies off online.

No, I'm not, and if you took it that way then I owe you an apology: Sorry.

I was just pointing out that it was easy to take your comment in a pretty sideways fashion.

Damnit, disregard my post above then.

I was gettin ready to flame away.

My bad.

Alls well ends well
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:57:33 PM EDT
[#27]
height=8
Quoted:
What color are your panties, and what type of makeup do you wear sweetheart. But I think I should throw in that I've been known to stray into the Maybelline and generic camp from time to time, just to be totally honest.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:58:46 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stanton is not "running for office". He's applying for employment to a government job, one that he already possessed in a different city, but was fired for because he decided to get SRS.

You are correct there. My apology for using the wrong words.  The reason he lost the job is because he changed genders during employment. I think they meant that he betrayed or lied to the office or position he was in. It will be interesting to see if Sarasota hires him under the now new sex and name (even though he hasn't had the operation yet and will be, in effect doing in reverse what he did in Largo.)
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:00:13 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...a fuckin' joke.

Did you sign up just to play on this topic?  
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#31]
height=8
Quoted:
...in effect doing in reverse what he did in Largo.

I got the rest of your post, but this part had me scratching my head. Can you explain this for the mentally challenged?
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:04:01 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...in effect doing in reverse what he did in Largo.

I got the rest of your post, but this part had me scratching my head. Can you explain this for the mentally challenged?

Yes, in Largo he started as a man named Steve...he turned into Susan, getting him fired. NOW...he is living as Susan and applying in Sarasota as a woman, but he's still a man.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that not fucked up?

It's a high school, man.

Most of the kids going there aren't of age to buy a rifle, let alone a concealed handgun.

I know, but the state law extends to CA universities as well.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Some parts of the USA are DEFINITELY circling the drain.

CJ
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Someone is screaming for attention. If this person was really who they are trying to be, wouldn't it have developed before freshman year of high school? Kids these days.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#36]
height=8
Quoted:
Yes, in Largo he started as a man named Steve...he turned into Susan, getting him fired. NOW...he is living as Susan and applying in Sarasota as a woman, but he's still a man.

Well...if he's living as Susan, and applying as Susan, then it isn't really the reverse. It'd be the reverse if he was living as Susan and applying as Steve, wouldn't it?

I mean, when you're "living as" a woman, you are, for all legal intents and purposes, a woman. The law doesn't require that you've actually undergone SRS.

He might technically still be a man, but this is irrelevant to anyone except himself, his doctors, and any partners he chooses to be with.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Satan loves this kind of shit
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:11:40 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well...if he's living as Susan, and applying as Susan, then it isn't really the reverse. It'd be the reverse if he was living as Susan and applying as Steve, wouldn't it?

I mean, when you're "living as" a woman, you are, for all legal intents and purposes, a woman. The law doesn't require that you've actually undergone SRS.

He might technically still be a man, but this is irrelevant to anyone except himself, his doctors, and any partners he chooses to be with.

Well, technically I guess you have a point, I still think it's 10 kinds of twisted and just plain weird.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"He" can never be a woman. No matter how he gets carved.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#40]
height=8
Quoted:

Well, I'm all for those with the legal right to carry, being allowed to carry on a university campus. I thought maybe you were overlooking the high school factor here. height=8
Quoted:
...wouldn't it have developed before freshman year of high school?

Why would they?

High school is a time for discovering oneself. Did you have a totally accurate picture of who you were while attending middle school? I certainly didn't. I graduated high school almost four years ago, and I still don't know who I am.

People learn things about themselves and the world at different times, but on average, I'd have to say that concretely determining your own sexual identity is something that most people don't accomplish until they're well into their late twenties...and even then, it's a toss-up.

Humans are complex creatures. You can't really set a timetable to stuff like this.

height=8
Quoted:
Well, technically I guess you have a point, I still think it's 10 kinds of twisted and just plain weird.harm
It IS strange. But, hey - life is strange. height=8
Quoted:

Scientifically speaking, yes.

But this is an issue of social freedom, not a math quiz.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I'm all for those with the legal right to carry, being allowed to carry on a university campus. I thought maybe you were overlooking the high school factor here.

Quoted:

Why would they?

High school is a time for discovering oneself. Did you have a totally accurate picture of who you were while attending middle school? I certainly didn't. I graduated high school almost four years ago, and I still don't know who I am.

People learn things about themselves and the world at different times, but on average, I'd have to say that concretely determining your own sexual identity is something that most people don't accomplish until they're well into their late twenties...and even then, it's a toss-up.

Humans are complex creatures. You can't really set a timetable to stuff like this.

Quoted:
Well, technically I guess you have a point, I still think it's 10 kinds of twisted and just plain weird.

No harm there.

It IS strange. But, hey - life is strange.

Quoted:

I'm sorry. I've never heard that term...social freedom. Can you define that?
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#42]
interesting.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:32:33 PM EDT
[#43]
height=8
Quoted:
I'm sorry. I've never heard that term...social freedom. Can you define that? htly
In other words, it gives you space to be who you want - without being crowded, or crowding anyone else.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm sorry. I've never heard that term...social freedom. Can you define that?

It's a slightly abstract term that means something along the lines of "guaranteeing a social environment that is free from elements which could disrupt or degrade one's own social development".

In other words, it gives you space to be who you want - without being crowded, or crowding anyone else.

Well, thats fine and dandy hanging with people who socially accept your choices, but I don't believe you have that right to push that agenda in a school or a place of employment. That is not what you are there for..to socialize.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:37:18 PM EDT
[#45]
height=8
Quoted:
...I don't believe you have that right to push that agenda in a school or a place of employment. That is not what you are there for..to socialize.

Then it doesn't really wouldn't matter that Steve wants to be called Susan, does it?

After all, he isn't there to socialize - and neither is anyone else - so his gender issues are a complete non-issue.

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...I don't believe you have that right to push that agenda in a school or a place of employment. That is not what you are there for..to socialize.

Then it doesn't really wouldn't matter that Steve wants to be called Susan, does it?

After all, he isn't there to socialize - and neither is anyone else - so his gender issues are a complete non-issue.

Just as soon as they bring God back into the schools and put the Comandments back on the steps of city hall (or where ever that was they made them remove them from) then I'll bite on that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:44:11 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I'm all for those with the legal right to carry, being allowed to carry on a university campus. I thought maybe you were overlooking the high school factor here.

Quoted:

Why would they?

Quoted:

No harm there.

It IS strange. But, hey - life is strange.

Quoted:

I'm not buying that. All of the gays I have known tell me they were different from earliest memory, they didn't suddenly decide at 14-15 years of age to be that way. I get the feeling that when it happens at this point in someone's life, it is a conscious decision they are making, for whatever reason. And to answer your question, yeah, I've pretty much known I was a male (who is attracted to females) all my life and never thought about changing that fact.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:44:43 PM EDT
[#48]
height=8
Quoted:
Just as soon as they bring God back into the schools and put the Comandments back on the steps of city hall (or where ever that was they made them remove them from) then I'll bite on that. hat

As for the God/Commandments issue, that's really something different altogether. I don't see how it has anything to do with this discussion, but I am willing to be enlightened.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:46:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally posted by: "MagicPussyCat".

"People learn things about themselves and the world at different times, but on average, I'd have to say that concretely determining your own sexual identity is something that most people don't accomplish until they're well into their late twenties...and even then, it's a toss-up."

THAT is complete and utter BS!

"MOST" people (YOUR TERM) know VERY well what their affectionate-Preference is at HALF the age you're claiming.

That YOU don't know at this point in your life is indicative of YOUR own issues regarding that but, you don't get a "Pass" making a BS statement like that.

25 yr old guys and gals AREN'T walking around in anything but TINY minorities thinking...."Gee, do I want a man or a woman......hmmmm.....?" NO.

To ME, anyone who thinks that way just doesn't have the GUTS to say..."You know what? I'm GAY"  

Face up to it and go on and be happy in your life.  Dont try and delude yourself that anything more than a FRACTION of the population is dealing with the same "Delima" because we/they AREN'T.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top