Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/19/2007 10:26:56 PM EDT
Do you practice this?

I was sitting at the airport this afternoon waiting for my flight and I was reading a recent issue of SWAT Magazine that I picked up in one of the airport shops. They had an article on Barzilian cops and how they train. In one pic I saw them advancing forward toward the target and shooting.

Then I sat there for about 10 minutes trying to figure out under what scenario this application would fit in the civilian world. (I have never practiced this. Just shooting while moving left, right or backwards to either retreat or gain cover) I guess you can shoot and move forward if the only cover is in front of you. Then the only thought of how this movement could be useful is if a shooter is threatening or shooting other innocents and you want to get in the fight to protect those innocents and stop the threat.

I can see someone being brought up on charges if you get into a gun fight and you are advancing rather than retreating..(Going for the kill so to speak)

So, does anyone practice this in their shooting skillz?
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:28:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I do rolls and side flops too!

Unless I just want it dead, I retreat to cover.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:29:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I practice this.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:32:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yes, I practice this.

Please tell me why.. When do you think you will need to use this practice?

Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:32:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes,definately.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:36:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd rather move backwards. I find it more likely that retreating would serve me instead of advancing while firing.

"Proximity negates skill." -Clint Smith
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:44:11 PM EDT
[#6]
It is limited in use for a civilian, but a tool in the tool box.  But, if you have an intruder in your house, and you have to clear your home, it could be handy.  Example, in my parent's home there is a bedroom downstairs.  Waiting upstairs is not an option if family or guests are downstairs with an intruder.  It would be necessary to go on the offensive.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=27&t=212137

Selfless plug.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:50:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It is limited in use for a civilian, but a tool in the tool box.  But, if you have an intruder in your house, and you have to clear your home, it could be handy.  Example, in my parent's home there is a bedroom downstairs.  Waiting upstairs is not an option if family or guests are downstairs with an intruder.  It would be necessary to go on the offensive.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=27&t=212137

Selfless plug.  

OK..Let's play devil's advocate here:

Your family is downstairs and there is an intruder in your home. Why wouldn't you seek cover and concealment rather than exposing yourself while advancing firing your weapon? If I have to clear my home(Done it several times already) I will stay away from that fatal funnel and look to conceal myself from any bad guys waiting for me. Slice the pie
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:51:36 PM EDT
[#8]
We do it for officer down scenarios.  Also, anytime you are advancing to take ground or clear a room/building, you can encounter a threat.

You should practice it along with any other type of movement.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:51:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I do also..

at first just simply cause I had land to shoot on freely...  then in the boredoom you imagine your wife/lovef one  not by your side..  ie  other sideof the parking lot..house.....

then you get into the 'want' to practice it mode...

you car is 100 yards away....<think large mall parkingllt>   shooting behind and in front ..

yes  they are crazy far off never gonna happen things...but so is being robed so I do it just incase...and its fun to change things up
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:55:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes, I practice this.

Firing while manuvering takes a lot of practice to get effective volume of hits as opposed to shoot and move.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
OK..Let's play devil's advocate here:

Your family is downstairs and there is an intruder in your home. Why wouldn't you seek cover and concealment rather than exposing yourself while advancing firing your weapon? If I have to clear my home(Done it several times already) I will stay away from that fatal funnel and look to conceal myself from any bad guys waiting for me. Slice the pie

While clearing a house you have to MOVE, right?  If you see a target while moving, it would be nice to have practiced shooting on the move.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 11:15:24 PM EDT
[#12]
A tool in the toolbox, in case I am moving and encounter a threat. Violence of action is paramount, and shooting without pausing to stand still is preferable.

At least thats what I was taught...
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 11:17:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't really "practice" it but I do it from time to time. Hell, I did it the other day at the range with my Glock.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 11:26:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Motionless
Operators
Ventilate
Easily

If I'm ever in a gunfight I hope the people I'm shooting at haven't practiced moving at all.  That will bring my probability of survivability way up, and theirs way down, since I'm pretty good at hitting stationary targets by now.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 11:27:11 PM EDT
[#15]
A military tactic ,  but I suppose it could be used in a civilian shoot .

not sure why it would be though.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 11:29:42 PM EDT
[#16]
If you keep pushing forward, you throw them off balance mentally.

This is more of a military thing than a civilian thing, but it is unnerving to see someone not only shooting at you, but coming towards you as well. You naturally want to get away.

Maybe I post this pic too much but I like showing off, it boosts my ego.

Link Posted: 6/19/2007 11:31:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes, I practice this.

You think cover is always going to be behind you?

Or are you going to run and not fire back until you get cover?

Link Posted: 6/20/2007 12:00:02 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The bad guy is in between you and your three year old daughter.  

Which way are you going to go?
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 12:06:26 AM EDT
[#19]
It never hurts to train for something you may never use.
It will definately hurt to have passed up training for something you suddenly need.

Shooting on the move is very, very hard. This includes forwards, backwards, and side to side. It includes running and walking, and "battle-slides." If you were in a gunbattle, and you needed to move to get to cover or escape, it helps if you can shoot accurately while doing so. If for no other reason, you can fire some accuracte suppressive shots to keep them from following you.

I like a challenge, and I like accomplishing things.
Most of all, it's fun.

Shooting while on the move, while

I hate benchresting, and just standing there. I love moving around, getting dirty, and downing paper bad guys.

Let ME play the devil's advocate. What does it hurt?
Why not?
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 12:13:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

No kidding, advancing toward cover could be your ONLY option
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 12:14:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Completely tangent to this topic, but I built a dedicatd .22 AR rifle expressly for the purpose of getting in more shooting while moving practice.  (In all 360 degrees).
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 12:16:00 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The bad guy is in between you and your three year old daughter.  

Which way are you going to go?

Backwards , unless I have a clear precise shot at his head , I would not want my 3
year old daughter standing in the middle while we are exchanging rounds

I would lead him away .  This is providing it's me he's after.
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 12:17:45 AM EDT
[#23]
it is a cool pic though 87
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 12:20:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Because YOU don't get to choose how or when or where you get in a gunfight, who cares if it's likely?  Most of us carry guns, and we'll be more than happy if we never have to use them.
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 12:35:39 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You both are correct , I guess what  I was thinking was more of a ambush senario
caught in a cross fire. To advance is the usually the best option.

and I have never stopped  training  . Just not as much anymore , still to this day I sometimes shoot while moving.

Link Posted: 6/20/2007 12:40:51 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You both are correct , I guess what  I was thinking was more of a ambush senario
caught in a cross fire. To advance is the usually the best option

Link Posted: 6/20/2007 1:58:36 AM EDT
[#27]
The immediate action drill for a near ambush is to close with, overrun and destoy the threat.

I have buried several coworkers who tried to retreat to cover. I have buried no coworkers who moved forward towards cover while engaging the threat with aimed fire.
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 2:11:00 AM EDT
[#28]
movin' and shootin'

I've worked on my chicken wing since then
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 2:22:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Considering the other guy might be firing back at you...  A moving target (you) is harder to hit.    
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 2:31:21 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes, I practice this.

Because the threat is between you and the exit.  Imagine that someone comes into a bank you are in with guns blazing.  They are between you and the door and it is the only way out.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 3:11:37 AM EDT
[#31]
think: shooting until the target thinks he'is dead!
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 3:34:12 AM EDT
[#32]
eh hem, I used to play paintball. And I was pretty damn good. The way you move isnt really like those guys in the pictures are doing it. Is more like; sprint your ass off to find cover, shoot, covering fire, sprint to the next cover, repeat. None of this 5mph "tactical" advancing.

Run your ass off to cover, shoot, repeat. Move move move.

But what do I know...its just paintball.
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 3:39:03 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm no HSLD guy but one thing I notice (in my reading and training video watching) that is important for two reasons, is to learn how to move while shooting. It's important because 1: it keeps you moving, and moving targets are harder to hit, and 2: adopts an aggressive posture which is key for you because you need to maintain a psychological edge. They may have attacked you, but you're bringing the fight to them.
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 4:43:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 4:47:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 4:51:03 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Then I sat there for about 10 minutes trying to figure out under what scenario this application would fit in the civilian world.

Are you serious?

I can see someone being brought up on charges if you get into a gun fight and you are advancing rather than retreating..(Going for the kill so to speak)

There is no law I am aware of that says you can only use lethal force when in reverse....

Link Posted: 6/20/2007 4:55:14 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
eh hem, I used to play paintball. And I was pretty damn good. The way you move isnt really like those guys in the pictures are doing it. Is more like; sprint your ass off to find cover, shoot, covering fire, sprint to the next cover, repeat. None of this 5mph "tactical" advancing.

Run your ass off to cover, shoot, repeat. Move move move.

The "5mph 'tactical' advancing" is designed to allow you to fire accurately while still moving.

It turns out that in real life someone who is moving AND throwing bullets in your direction with some accuracy is kind of hard to hit. The best cover in the world is accurate return fire.

People react differently when the projectiles have lead cores instead of paint.

There are times when it is appropriate to just beat feet as fast as you can, but there are also times when it is appropriate to move while putting out effective fire.

Guys who have survived real firefights routinely tell instructors that shooting on the move (rather than learning to sprint from cover to cover) was the most valuable combat skill they learned.
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 5:00:11 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
The immediate action drill for a near ambush is to close with, overrun and destoy the threat.

I have buried several coworkers who tried to retreat to cover. I have buried no coworkers who moved forward towards cover while engaging the threat with aimed fire.

I second that, the debate was over before it even started!

This comes back to a mindset thing:
Most people against advancing have said that "it would look bad to a jury"
Now before you get into a gunfight you need to make the descision is this a justified use of lethal force. Once that decision is made you do whatever it takes to stop the threat! There should be no other thoughts than move shoot communicate once the lethal force threshold is made

Link Posted: 6/20/2007 5:00:44 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
A tool in the toolbox, in case I am moving and encounter a threat. Violence of action is paramount, and shooting without pausing to stand still is preferable.

At least thats what I was taught...

+1
Just because you're defending yourself doesn't mean you have to ALWAYS be on the defensive through out the situation. You are on the defensive until you need to draw and fire, after that.............
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 5:16:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Because you need to be  the one controlling the fight; you need to become the aggressive one.

Within the civilian world, retreating is good; but you don't want to turn your back and you most certainly don't want to trip. I'd rather advance 5 feet to cover than retreat 10 cover.

Moving while shooting puts you in a whole 'nother class from a bad guy. All of a sudden you become very hard to hit; and if you've practiced enough, you can still make reliable hits.

Moving, shooting, and cover are your keys to surviving a gun fight. Your tool is aggression; enough aggression will mind-fuck the bad guy more than any shooting ability will. That said, shooting ability certainly doesn't hurt and is the key to making the threat cease.

Link Posted: 6/20/2007 5:40:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 5:52:00 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

So, does anyone practice this in their shooting skillz?

You might want to advance to put yourself between a bad guy (or a large threatening dog) and a member of your family.  I think any man would put himself between a threat and his loved ones if there isn't a way to move his loved ones to cover.

If you were in a big open area like a parking lot and you are threatened and the only cover is between you and the attacker you might want to advance to try and get to the cover first or keep the bad guy from getting to it.

If you encounter an intruder in your home and when you tell him to stop he turns and runs down the hall toward the bedroom where your 5 year old daughter is asleep.  Are you going to advance while shooting to keep him from getting to your baby and doing who knows what to her?

Suppose you were in your house and your kids are calling for help at the end of the hall.  As you come down the hall a bad guy steps out of the bathroom door half way down the hall and blocks your path.  The kids are still calling for help.  The only way to get there is through or over the intruder.  Are you going to advance while shooting or are you going to retreat and call 9-1-1 while assuming he is the only bad guy?

I came up with those four in less time than I took to type them.  There are infinitely more examples both in our imaginations and that happened in real life that would justify advancing on an attacker while shooting or not.

Link Posted: 6/20/2007 6:04:31 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes, I practice this.

1 bad guy in front ,  2 bad guys in back, you want his cover, take it by advancing.
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 6:06:16 AM EDT
[#44]
I train on it all them time.
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 6:08:22 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Because you need to be  the one controlling the fight; you need to become the aggressive one.

<snip>

Moving, shooting, and cover are your keys to surviving a gun fight. Your tool is aggression; enough aggression will mind-fuck the bad guy more than any shooting ability will. That said, shooting ability certainly doesn't hurt and is the key to making the threat cease.

+1

Re: "Groucho" and 5MPH tactical walking:

1) 5MPH is actually a pretty good clip.  Normal walking is 2MPH
2) I don't really like the "Groucho", rather I prefer the SAS style of shooting on the move:

Walking at a normal pace, on the "go"/threat/whatever command, keep your pace but shorten your stride... (think baby steps)

Old pic, and no, I'm not getting a "tactical wedgie". I'm being slowed up by a training partner so I don't get too far out in front of the rest of the guys shooting.
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 6:11:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Yes, I practice firing while moving forward, side to side and while retreating.  It's been said before, shooting a moving target is difficult and exponentially so when there is an accurate volley of incoming fire effectively suppressing them.
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 6:15:51 AM EDT
[#47]
You are confuxing skill building exercises with tactics.

Tactics are dictated by the situation. Skills are what you use to impliment the tactic.

The skill is to stabilize your upper shooting platform and make hits while your legs navigate terrain in all directions. Why would you leave out one aspect of the skill set? Doing so makes it hard to build on.

Link Posted: 6/20/2007 6:58:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 7:07:04 AM EDT
[#49]
I've done it in some classes so I practice it but not terribly often.    I practice moving sideways as well.  

It's in the IDPA Qualifier if I recall correctly.

Doesn't hurt to practice it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 7:14:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Sometime you have to take the fight to them.  Advancing is often the last thing the predator expects.  Jeff
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top