Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/20/2007 7:26:49 PM EDT
My wife teaches high school English.

We frequently go to Sam's Club, usually for no other reason than to gobble up free food samples.

One of her students was a grunt there.
Push the carts, help load stuff into cars, etc.

He started to grow tired of the BS, and was tipped off about Krispy Kreeme hiring
for $0.50 more an hour, with better hours.

He went to one of the dozen managers he has to put in his 2 weeks notice.

Manager begs and pleads for him to stay.  Offers him a promotion to some indoor
maintenence job where instead of pushing carts he can clean toilets.  More pay, better hours.

Kid goes to interview at Krispy Kreeme, and after meeting the head donut maker,
and how gross he and everything about the place was, decides that not only will he
not work there, he'll never eat there again.

So he accepts Sam's Club's offer.

Only Sam's club never makes good on the deal.  

Fast forward to yesterday.

We are at Menards to get some wire cloth, and here is the same kid wearing
a Menards shirt.  

Wife asks him "what was the last straw".

The kid says "I watched Office Space".

We are rolling on the floor laughing.  

He said "the next day after watching that movie, I go in to work and punch in.  
I just stood there looking at the time clock, thinking about Office Space.
So I punched back out.  My manager asked what my problem was, and I told him
I just wasn't feeling like working.  He asked me to at least work that shift so he
didn't get into trouble, and I just walked out."

He went straight to Menards, and was hired on the spot.

Damn, to be young and living at home with no financial worries.  

Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Damn, to be young and living at home with no financial worriesit feels good to be a gangster!  

Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#2]
LoL.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Although it's just a goofy comedy there is much truth in the lessons about happiness and priorities in life.
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:30:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn, to be young and living at home with no financial worriesit feels good to be a gangster!  

werd...
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Although it's just a goofy comedy there is much truth in the lessons about happiness and priorities in life.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:35:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Guys do the very same thing out here in the oil patch. You get run off (fired) , yougo another drilling company and get hired on the spot. I personally dont worry about job security since it is so easy to get a job out here. I have 4 kids and a wife to take care of and Im the only income.

Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:35:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Guys do the very same thing out here in the oil patch. You get run off (fired) , yougo another drilling company and get hired on the spot. I personally dont worry about job security since it is so easy to get a job out here. I have 4 kids and a wife to take care of and Im the only income.

they dont check references?
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Heyyyyyy Milton....Whaaaats Happenin'
We're gonna have to have you move down to storage room B
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:37:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:38:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

It is not a goofy comedy, it is Zen and the meaning of life.
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#13]
PC Load Letter?  What the fuck does that mean?

Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:41:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Thats pretty much how I left wal-mart as well, just had nothing to do with office space
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#15]
This guy

knows of which he speaks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
This guy

photos.ar15.com/Galleries/Avatars/1729.jpg

Fuggin A, man!  
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:43:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is both at once, and that in itself is Zen.
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And its on right now!
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I guess I'll have to rent Office space
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:45:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This guy

Fuggin A, man!  

I knew you could hear me through the wall when I posted that, now go to channel 9.
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:45:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I guess I'll have to rent purchase Office space
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:46:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:48:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:49:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I occasionally leave some TPS report cover sheets with my company logo on them.

no one ever gets it
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:50:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
This guy

Fuggin A, man!  

I knew you could hear me through the wall when I posted that, now go to channel 9.

That chick kinda looks like Ann...
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't remember them wearing "flash" at Sam's club

WBK
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:52:50 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I don't remember them wearing "flash" flare at Sam's club

WBK
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:52:54 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

WBK

Flair
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

they dont check references?

they need workers, adn you can be run off for the stupidest shit, so no one cares, ifc you are not good enough they skid you, if you are you get raises
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:54:00 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WBK

Flair

So which is it...flare or flair???

PS - Thanks for the correction.

WBK
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Aaahhhh Yeaahhhh, you know what would be great?

To see Office Space right now.

Employee of the month was also good, not just the blondie's hair in the breeze scene either.  Funny thing, when we go to Sam's I just can't help looking up at the pallets of boxes for the hide away.
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#34]
One of the best movies EVER! Mike Judge is a freaking genius. Not only did he capture the essence of working America with this movie and all the BS associated with it, he did the same thing once before with Beavis and Butthead. It's a bit frightening that his depiction of dumbass 14 year olds is closer to reality than many of us would like to admit. LOL.
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 9:20:08 PM EDT
[#35]
I thought that the movie office space was funny but the main character, Peter Gibbons, is a giant pussy.

I know people like him in real life and I cannot stand them.   People who complain a lot really suck.  

If figure that if a guy cannot cope with having a bad boss then he's basically a waste of time.  I always avoid people like that.

He never actually does anything in the movie except a bunch of self-destructive passive aggressive bullshit.  

The guy is a jerkoff.  If you think he has a real great philosophy of life then you are in trouble.

And let me tell you from personal experience:  being a construction laborer is the absolute worst job you can have.  Seriously, go shovel asphalt for 8 hours and tell me how swell it is.  It sucks.  

It's a movie made for childish people who like to feel sorry for themselves.

Like I said, the movie is funny but the protagonist is an asshole and I would avoid a guy like that in real life.   I know too many of them already.
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 9:37:08 PM EDT
[#36]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/20/2007 9:40:39 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I thought that the movie office space was funny but the main character, Peter Gibbons, is a giant pussy.

I know people like him in real life and I cannot stand them.   People who complain a lot really suck.  

If figure that if a guy cannot cope with having a bad boss then he's basically a waste of time.  I always avoid people like that.

He never actually does anything in the movie except a bunch of self-destructive passive aggressive bullshit.  

The guy is a jerkoff.  If you think he has a real great philosophy of life then you are in trouble.

And let me tell you from personal experience:  being a construction laborer is the absolute worst job you can have.  Seriously, go shovel asphalt for 8 hours and tell me how swell it is.  It sucks.  

Like I said, the movie is funny but the protagonist is an asshole and I would avoid a guy like that in real life.   I know too many of them already.

You need:

1) A couch to lay upon and someone to talk to

2) Prozac

3) Booze

Any one of the three will do, pic your favorite.

Repeat after me, It only a movie, it's only a movie...

Link Posted: 7/20/2007 9:41:06 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Irony.

Does posting here on arfcom count?
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 10:10:28 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You need:

1) A couch to lay upon and someone to talk to

2) Prozac

3) Booze

Any one of the three will do, pic your favorite.

Repeat after me, It only a movie, it's only a movie...

Well, I'm just making the point that most people sort of relate to the main character and are sympathetic with him, but he is actually a useless jerkoff with a horrible attitude.

The guy himself is his own worst problem.  am I missing something?  Is that the point of the movie?  It doesn't seem so.

Other than that I enjoyed the movie.  It's very funny.

At one point in my life i worked with about ten people who stomped around like kindergardeners at virtually every reversal and I got sick to death of them.  They were a lot orse than the managers.

Link Posted: 7/20/2007 10:12:50 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Irony.

JEEPERS CREEPERS!

YOU ARE SMART AS A WHIP!!!

Keep up the good work, killer.

Link Posted: 7/20/2007 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#41]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

lol good stuff
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 10:19:44 PM EDT
[#42]
People who don't like Office Space suck!!!

Link Posted: 7/20/2007 10:23:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Good for him.
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 10:27:05 PM EDT
[#44]
I've done the Office Space thing.  

Working 18 hours a day, 6 days a week.  Hated my bosses (had 3).  Had no time for social life.  Health started to deteriorate.

I got up one morning, decided I didn't feel like going to work, so I didn't.  I never went back and they kept calling me for about 3 months wanting to know when I was coming back.

I went back to school, finishing my degrees in a couple of weeks, and have a job lined up and waiting doing what I wanted to do.
Link Posted: 7/21/2007 5:15:47 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WBK

Flair

His Menards shirt has a reinforced spot where his name tag
was supposed to go.  But there was no tag.  

I pointed and said "where is your flair?"

Calm as ever, he just said "fuck that".

He is the most mellow laid back kid I've ever met.

Wife said that is how he is at school.

Nothing gets him worked up.

He'll live to be 150 years old.

I'll probably stroke out tomorrow the next time one of those little
dirt-bag scum-sucking neighbor kids runs over my sump pump discharge
hose with their bikes.

Link Posted: 7/21/2007 5:24:55 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I occasionally leave some TPS report cover sheets with my company logo on them.

no one ever gets it

Thats because they probably didnt get the "Memo"

Send it out to everyone again. And in the future try and use that cover sheet for your TPS reports. That would be great, Thaaanks.... Umkay !
Link Posted: 7/21/2007 5:34:24 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
www.jobschmob.com/images/red_swingline_stapler.jpg

I have that stapler.  A couple of co-workers from my last job bought me one as a parting gift.
Link Posted: 7/21/2007 5:49:14 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Irony.

JEEPERS CREEPERS!

YOU ARE SMART AS A WHIP!!!

Keep up the good work, killer.

Uh oh. Sounds like somebody's got a case of the Mondays.
Link Posted: 7/21/2007 5:51:16 AM EDT
[#49]
We get caught laundering money, we're not going to white-collar resort prison. No, no, no. We're going to federal POUND ME IN THE ASS prison.
Link Posted: 7/21/2007 6:02:47 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I've been in IT my whole life. I started when I was a kid, so at 36, I literally have 20 years of professional experience working with technology. Now that I am in senior management, I still find myself looking out the window all day wishing that I had a job where I could physically see the results of all my hard work at the end of the day. I have no satisfaction and nobody will ever see what I do. It's all virtual, existing on some hard drive somewhere. It stinks and I have no personal satisfaction with anything that I do. It's not about feeling sorry for myself. I am very fortunate to be where I'm at. It's simply that I do not derive any sense of satisfaction or sense of worth from my career.

The first thing I do when I am not behind a monitor is meaningless, physical labor on one of my properties or go work in the print shop with the production guys on a press or conveyor dryer. At the end of a shift, I can point to the work and say, "I did that right there, and it is damn good."
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top