Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/5/2007 10:22:06 AM EDT
www.breitbart.tv/html/6414.html

TC Palm: The girl was stopped for violating the city's curfew law. The officer writes in the police report that at one point, the girl "clamped down on my hand/wrist and I felt immediate pain shot up my arm. The pain was shocking, and I thought the suspect was going to extract a large piece of flesh from my hand.” The police chief weighed in on the matter. "It is shocking to see that a police officer has had to use that level of force against a child. But ... my opinion is he responded appropriately and in accordance with our policies," he said.

Sorry "JBT"-haters, this one is well deserved
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:22:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Should have used the taser- followed by pepper spray!!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:25:43 AM EDT
[#2]
In the "good old days" her shoulder would have been dislocated
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

that would of been the  honorable thing to do  .

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:28:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

TC Palm: The girl was stopped for violating the city's curfew law. The officer writes in the police report that at one point, the girl "clamped down on my hand/wrist and I felt immediate pain shot up my arm. The pain was shocking, and I thought the suspect was going to extract a large piece of flesh from my hand.” The police chief weighed in on the matter. "It is shocking to see that a police officer has had to use that level of force against a child. But ... my opinion is he responded appropriately and in accordance with our policies," he said.

Completely justified IMO.

She was skinny and he probably would have unintentionally broken her arm or dislocated her shoulder if he kept having to fight her to get her arms behind her back.

The second she tried to bite him the punch and pepper spray became fair game too.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#5]
The title of this post is muckracking crap. The girl was not pepper sprayed for breaking curfew. She was pepper sprayed for assaulting (biting) the arresting officer.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:30:00 AM EDT
[#6]

owned.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:31:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you prefer injury possibly requiring surgery to a little bit of pain?

Have you ever been bit by a person that you had to control? I have its not fun
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:31:36 AM EDT
[#8]
She'll think twice about doing that again.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Double tap to the chest.  THAT would show her who's boss!

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:31:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I thought he he slugged her for no reason at first, then I saw the bite.

Very patient, well done.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:32:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Not likely  This will the first of many interactions with da man, she will perfect her shreaking and riot inciting skills
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Unfortunately, she probably won't.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Tag, whats the curfew anyway, was she 5 min past or hooking on the corner at midnight?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#14]
That is a HARD 15
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Good grief, kids are stupid these days. He should have bitten her back. (That broke my kids of biting at a very early age.)
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#16]
That'll teach her to go out after curfew.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Absolutely justified. If that were my daughter, and I had the video to prove how she was behaving, I would make my daughter apologize to the cop. People who attack the cop are the reasons the kids behave this way in the first place.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Good, how many times do you have to ask someone to do what you said the officer told her over and over. Im glad he is being stood up for...

standing by to be called a racist
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:37:28 AM EDT
[#19]
The kinder gentler approach. If that had been a male he would have been slammed.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:39:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Wanna bet this bitch ends up with a settlement?

I'll be discustified!!

I will have discustification!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The kinder gentler approach. If that had been a male he would have been slammed.

My first instinct is to take it to the ground as most likely was his........I can play the sit on you and chokehold allday.. suspect can carry my weight and his but he did the smart thing from a lawsuit perspective and kept her in front of the camera
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:40:25 AM EDT
[#22]

FORT PIERCE - A 15-year-old girl is facing a felony battery charge from a curfew violation incident in which a city police officer struck and pepper sprayed her after she bit him — actions shown in a police videotape released Thursday.

Fort Pierce Police Chief Sean Baldwin said he stands by how Officer Dan Gilroy handled the July arrest.

“It is shocking to see that a police officer has had to use that level of force against a child,” Baldwin said Thursday night. “But ... my opinion is he responded appropriately and in accordance with our policies.

“I do not expect my officers to stand there and allow a child or an adult to bite them,” he added.

Gilroy was trying to handcuff Shelwanda Riley, 15, of the 300 block of South 25th Street, for breaking the city’s curfew when she became increasingly violent and bit him, according to the police report.

Gilroy dragged the girl to the front of his car, dodging her kicks and swings and activating his in-car video camera to record the remainder of the encounter, his report said.

At one point, she “clamped down on my hand/wrist and I felt immediate pain shot up my arm,” the officer wrote. “The pain was shocking, and I thought the suspect was going to extract a large piece of flesh from my hand.”

Riley was in court Thursday and had her case scheduled to go to trial Nov. 28. She faces a felony charge of battery on a law-enforcement officer and misdemeanor charge of resisting an officer or obstructing justice without violence.

Last week, Baldwin received a call from the Public Defender’s Office expressing concerns the girl’s family had about the video recording of the arrest.

Baldwin asked the Public Defender’s Office to have Riley’s family contact him, but he said he hasn’t heard from them.

Gilroy, who was wearing cut-resistant gloves that protected him from serious injury, struck the 100-pound girl in response to the bite, the report said.

“(She) left a large amount of saliva on my wrist as she took a full bite,” the officer wrote. “My wrist was red and slightly bruised, but there was no broken skin.”

Gilroy was responding to a 911 call about a suspicious couple walking the area of 24th Street and Boston Avenue with full garbage bags, when he met up with Riley at about 1:50 a.m.

She was carrying a bag of what appeared to be new clothing, the officer reported.

Photos provided by the Fort Pierce Police Department show scars on Riley’s wrist that Baldwin says “happens when people that are handcuffed resist by pulling away.

“They actually get scrapes, abrasions on the wrist,” he said.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:40:49 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The title of this post is muckracking crap. The girl was not pepper sprayed for breaking curfew. She was pepper sprayed for assaulting (biting) the arresting officer.

I said "after violating curfew" not "for violating curfew", I chose my words carefully
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:40:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Sure it was justified, but I don't like that the police have to waste their time with curfew laws.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Looked like she bit off more than she could chew....

Yep, have to agree that it was completely justified.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:41:20 AM EDT
[#26]
thank God for that video. she'd cried rape and race without it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:41:34 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Don't ever go into the News Industry.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:41:35 AM EDT
[#28]
(1) dumbass deserved that.

(2) curfews are retarded laws.

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:43:13 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you prefer injury possibly requiring surgery to a little bit of pain?

Have you ever been bit by a person that you had to control? I have its not fun

for doing what she did..

Yes.

have I ever been bit..   ?

no..   but if I was I would like to think i would beat them for doing it..   not pepper spray them  ..  

pls dont read my first response as critical of the officer..  

well  .. its critical to the point that he should have done more.    < and it would of been justified >  
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#30]
She shouldn't have touched the cop.  The instant she made physical contact, especially in a manner that the officer perceived to be a threat, she justified the use of non-lethal force against herself.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:44:50 AM EDT
[#31]
I just watched this on Drudge.
It always amazes me how non-compliant some people are.
Welcome to felony battery charges, Shelwanda, we'll add you to the teen felon rolls.
That'll look good on your McDonalds application.

Colonel Hurtz
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Gilroy dragged the girl to the front of his car, dodging her kicks and swings and activating his in-car video camera to record the remainder of the encounter, his report said.

lesson #1
how to keep your job ..  

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Poor Shelwanda.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Yep, he even told her something to the effect of "I don't wanna force you because your small".

Bullshit, she's good enough to resist she's good enough for the pavement.  Call me a JBT if you want, pussy footing around with people your trying to arrest is a good way to get yourself or someone else hurt.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:45:59 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The "honorable" thing to do would have been as easy as paying attention in English and Composition classes.

I hope my children never act like that.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Sure it was justified, but I don't like that the police have to waste their time with curfew laws.

With the HUGE numbers of "juveniles" committing everything up to and including murder (and not getting charged as adults), I think curfews help.

At least it gets the little shits off the streets.

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:46:32 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Agreed.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:47:32 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unfortunately, she probably won't.

Especially after Uncle Al and Pimp Jesse catch wind of this.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Absolutely justified. If that were my daughter, and I had the video to prove how she was behaving, I would make my daughter apologize to the cop. People who attack the cop are the reasons the kids behave this way in the first place.

+1

I'd be ashamed if that was my daughter.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

lesson #1
how to keep your job ..  

Yeah, despite my other post saying what I would have done. (which is easy to say when I'm sitting in my lazy boy and not getting bit) this cop was DEFINITELY not a rookie.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:49:25 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
My first instinct is to take it to the ground as most likely was his........I can play the sit on you and chokehold allday.. suspect can carry my weight and his but he did the smart thing from a lawsuit perspective and kept her in front of the camera

Very smart deputy. Very well done.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:49:48 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Completely justified IMO.

She was skinny and he probably would have unintentionally broken her arm or dislocated her shoulder if he kept having to fight her to get her arms behind her back.

The second she tried to bite him the punch and pepper spray became fair game too.

+1 and this post title is misleading this was totally justified
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#43]
that girl is double jointed........check out how her are and shoulder moves....+1 ass kicking
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:52:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Actually the LEO was pretty damn patient with her...
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:52:10 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
thank God for that video. she'd cried rape and race without it.

Yep. Videocams are a fantastic tool for law enforcement. They help protect the good guys in every encounter.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Good job Officer.

This just goes to show all the LEOs here that ARFCOM is not full of cop haters.  Most of us here try to look at these things fairly.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:54:02 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Tag, whats the curfew anyway, was she 5 min past or hooking on the corner at midnight?

Well the tape says 0720.  I'm guessing that probably isn't right.

I love the sound of her screaming for her mommy when he lays the compliance hold on her.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

With the HUGE numbers of "juveniles" committing everything up to and including murder (and not getting charged as adults), I think curfews help.

At least it gets the little shits off the streets.

The problems you speak of are the result of failed policies, laws and tactics. Most of them can be solved very quickly, cheaply and brutally. For example, flogging and public humiliation work better then curfews.

Speaking of flogging. It'd be faster, cheaper and more socially more effective to publicly flog the girl for assaulting an officer. I understand why they want to pursue felony charges, but that really won't hammer anything into that kids head.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:56:37 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

yep
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:59:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Hopefully she lears leson
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top