Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/10/2007 8:34:47 AM EDT
This is essentially the debate amongst conservatives.  I'm not asking you to say one is absolutely important and the other not at all, but just which one do you think is more important than the other?  Which side should we err on - safety or freedom?  When balancing the two, which one has more than 50%, in your mind?

No, you can't "get both".  In order to increase safety, it becomes necessary to infringe on liberties.  This question is more along the lines of "how far should we take it?"
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:35:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Freedom of course.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:35:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Freedom of course.

+1
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:37:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Freedom.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:50:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Safty is just a idea, no one is ever really safe.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:01:05 AM EDT
[#5]
No one's ever really free.  Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:01:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Who voted Safety?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:02:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
No one's ever really free. Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose.

As songs-that-get-stuck-in-my-head go, this isn't a bad one. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:02:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Who voted Safety?

2 people did...I suspect one is Hillary and other one Tom Cruise!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:02:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Who voted Safety?

Either an asshat or a .

Maybe they want to talk about it?  Please?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:03:30 AM EDT
[#10]
You get safety from checking your own 6... and from having a .gov that will allow you to have the means to defend yourself - both from a legal (AWB, CCW) and a tort (lawsuit) POV.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
This is essentially the debate amongst conservatives.  I'm not asking you to say one is absolutely important and the other not at all, but just which one do you think is more important than the other?  Which side should we err on - safety or freedom?  When balancing the two, which one has more than 50%, in your mind?

No, you can't "get both".  In order to increase safety, it becomes necessary to infringe on liberties.  This question is more along the lines of "how far should we take it?"

They are interconnected...

It is a 'get both' scenario, period...

There is a level of safety/security required in order to exercise your freedom...

You could have unlimited freedom in an 'anarchy' situation, but be unable to exercise most of it due to a lack of safety & security....

If you go too far to EITHER end of the spectrum you FAIL...

The only answer is to find a balance between personal freedom and the constructive forces (eg safety/security) required to preserve it and prevent decay into the 'natural state' of anarchy (which is always followed by despotism)...

P.S. Since 'balance of the two' is not an option, I did not vote.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Freedom.

It doesn't take much of an imagination to see that life with the alternative choice could get pretty scary.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:18:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Both.

Not allowed.  Pick sides.

When weighing a law or a candidate's platform you need to recognize which side its tilted towards, and whether it goes too far in either direction.

Choose.

Freedom of course....With Freedom at hand, we can eliminate the threat and therefore we can have both.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:19:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
"Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither" - Ben Franklin

Immediately popped into my head when I read the thread title.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:19:39 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is a level of safety/security required in order to exercise your freedom...

You could have unlimited freedom in an 'anarchy' situation, but be unable to exercise most of it due to a lack of safety & security....

The only answer is to find a balance between personal freedom and the constructive forces (eg safety/security) required to preserve it and prevent decay into the 'natural state' of anarchy (which is always followed by despotism)...

Personal freedom does not mean the freedom to do whatever you want and trample the rights of others, as you suggest in anarchy.

Your statement sounds like, give the power to the government, we will prevent anarchy and preserve freedom.

No thanks!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:21:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Freedom, we as a whole(population) can create a safe environment from those wanting to take freedom away!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Who voted Safety?

Fred Thompson and some other RINO...

Wahhhhhhhhh....

Don't cry, the Nanny state will prosper, you will be just fine.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:23:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." ~ Robert Heinlein

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:31:37 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speaking of FAIL.  Nice of you to show up.

Go reread the question.  It was not an absolute one-way-or-the-other question.  It was simply which side is more important.  In your mind, which side holds 50+% of the importance?

ETA: Its a simple question.  Which do you value more?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:33:24 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." ~ Robert Heinlein

Ha.. I found the flaw in the plan!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:34:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Freedom is safety to me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:35:11 AM EDT
[#22]
The prevailing sentiment of the drug war on this board suggests the results of the "Safety/Freedom" poll should be taken with a truckload of salt.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Everybody is going to say freedom, but few really mean it. There are ALOT of folks who love to regulate things around here. About the only thing most folks around here equate with freedom is gun ownership.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:39:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Everybody is going to say freedom, but few really mean it. There are ALOT of folks who love to regulate things around here. About the only thing most folks around here equate with freedom is gun ownership.

+1
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:41:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Ill take safety...

safety that i guarantee by exercising by freedom to keep and bear arms and using that with my own sence of personal responcibility to protect and preserve what I hold dear without imposimg myself unduly upon others.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:45:29 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The prevailing sentiment of the drug war on this board suggests the results of the "Safety/Freedom" poll should be taken with a truckload of salt.  

+1

Most of the people who want Freedom on this board also want God in schools, as long as it's their God.

And they want property rights, at least they want their own property rights, they could give a damn about other people's property, and will happily fleece them to pay their own welfare(Social Security)
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:46:46 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Freedom of course.

+100
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#29]
I make my safety with my freedom.

See what happens when someone tries to kick my door in and murder my family.
See what happens in DC, England, or some other gun ban anti self defense happy place.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:55:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Both, and you can have both in the absence of a PC mentality.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:00:09 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your avoiding the issue by suggesting there is no trade of when actually there is.

You have to take a stand either you sympathise with a stronger authoritarian state or your don’t, unless you believe that citizens themselves should be reposible for their safty.

My answer is simple and the same as Thomas Jefferson:

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than those attending too small a degree of it."
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:01:00 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Who voted Safety?

Wahhhhhhhhh....

Just like a Ronbot troll to utterly miss the point!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:04:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Safety is an illusion, therefore freedom is the default answer.

Of course you're preaching to the choir here ... Run this poll over at panicky-overprotective-moms.com and you'll get the exact opposite result. Herein lies the problem in the USA, massively polarizing issues, with no achievable common ground, and elections won by fractions of a percentage point, therefore giving the razor thing majority ultimate say over the razor thin minority. Of course that razor thin majority often shifts their opinion moments after the election is won when they realize what they've done.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:05:07 AM EDT
[#34]
FREEDOM. Nothing else is worthwhile without it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:07:16 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Of course you're preaching to the choir here ... Run this poll over at panicky-overprotective-moms.com and you'll get the exact opposite result. Herein lies the problem in the USA, massively polarizing issues, with no achievable common ground, and elections won by fractions of a percentage point, therefore giving the razor thing majority ultimate say over the razor thin minority. Of course that razor thin majority often shifts their opinion moments after the election is won when they realize what they've done.

Youd be surprised at some of the opinions on this board.

This poll is not scientific, and probably not representative, based on my experience, of the whole of AR15.com
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:14:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Didn't Hitler disarm the masses in the name of safety?  I'm sure they felt much safer when the holocaust started.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:18:57 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Who voted Safety?

Wahhhhhhhhh....

Just like a Ronbot troll to utterly miss the point!

Just like a Fredhead sheeple not to have one!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:25:39 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

+1

Start a thread on the War On Some Drugs, and see how many people really support freedom. Or a thread on free enterprise, energy policy, traffic rules, etc. Get away from guns, and there's at least as many closet Fascists around here as in the general population.

How about some of you guys claiming Freedom name a specific policy unrelated to guns and self-defense that you would change to increase overall Freedom?

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:42:24 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Start a thread on the War On Some Drugs, and see how many people really support freedom. Or a thread on free enterprise, energy policy, traffic rules, etc. Get away from guns, and there's at least as many closet Fascists around here as in the general population.

How about some of you guys claiming Freedom name a specific policy unrelated to guns and self-defense that you would change to increase overall Freedom?

Good luck with that.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:43:53 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

It doesn't seem to work like that. There is no wonderful pro-Freedom group, certainly not around here, and there is no total authoritarian group (or if there is one of either, then they're tiny and considered to be nuts by almost everyone). Everybody wants to think that they are in favor of Freedom. And they are, when it comes to the things that they want to do and know the most about. But in many cases, those same people who chant about their love of and desire for Freedom are entirely against it on a variety of other issues. Maybe because of jealousy, assuming things they see in movies and on TV are real, of an unusual situation that is their only experience with the issue, or just plain ignorance. Whatever the cause, most are all too wiling to vote away someone else's freedom.

How many of you are in favor of Hippies being free to use the drugs of their choice and protest things in the streets?
How many of you are in favor of Muslims being free to practice their faith as they please?
How many of you are in favor of Cyclists being free to use the streets just as any other vehicle would?
How many of you are in favor of Homosexuals being free to have sex in whatever manner they please?

A lot of you are ripping Dave_A for saying that too much Freedom might not be so good. At least he's honest and realistic about what he believes - how many of you are?

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:47:26 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
"Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither" - Ben Franklin
+1776!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It doesn't seem to work like that. There is no wonderful pro-Freedom group, certainly not around here, and there is no total authoritarian group (or if there is one of either, then they're tiny and considered to be nuts by almost everyone). Everybody wants to think that they are in favor of Freedom. And they are, when it comes to the things that they want to do and know the most about. But in many cases, those same people who chant about their love of and desire for Freedom are entirely against it on a variety of other issues. Maybe because of jealousy, assuming things they see in movies and on TV are real, of an unusual situation that is their only experience with the issue, or just plain ignorance. Whatever the cause, most are all too wiling to vote away someone else's freedom.

How many of you are in favor of Hippies being free to use the drugs of their choice and protest things in the streets?
How many of you are in favor of Muslims being free to practice their faith as they please?
How many of you are in favor of Cyclists being free to use the streets just as any other vehicle would?
How many of you are in favor of Homosexuals being free to have sex in whatever manner they please?

A lot of you are ripping Dave_A for saying that too much Freedom might not be so good. At least he's honest and realistic about what he believes - how many of you are?

expose our faults so we will admit them and get better
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:54:36 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Who voted Safety?

Probably a soccer mom who saw a pointer to arfcom over on mothering.com and decided to come see what all the fuss was about.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am in favor of those people being allowed to do all those things, as long as they dont infringe on anyone else's rights.

I would think that most other people would be as well.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

No problem with any of the above as long as in so doing they don't violate the rights of others.

Personally I think most streets should have bike lanes...

ETA:  igorthesmall beat me to it
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#46]
I can provide my own safety so let me be free

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:59:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Freedom.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Who voted Safety?

Me. I just like fucking with meaningless polls.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A sci-fi writer's words... Nice 'authority' there...

Too bad the notion of moral responsibility is for most people...

Excluding religious folks (who have morality imposed on them by their diety) & a minority of 'responsible' or 'enlightened' people, the only morality most people have is the morality forced on them by government power....

The natural state of humanity is corruption, chaos & anarchy... Not moral responsibility...

Which leads to a world where - without government - you have no usable freedom....

For a non-3rd-world example, New Orleans after Katrina.... There's your 'totally free' people 'unpressed' by government at work...

Gotta love it when REALITY jumps up and bites a utopian idealist in the face... People are not 'GOOD' and will not respect your 'freedom' unless forced to do so...

Freedom is only possible when backed by force... Ironic, eh?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:18:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Freedom.  With true freedom, a person can make his own safety.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top