Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2007 5:29:07 PM EDT
I picked up my Accord on tuesday and only today noticed that there is a ding about a 1/4 inch up from the bottom of the drive door that has a paint chip and looks like someone applied touch up paint to it.  

In addition to that, there is an area on the passenger door that has apparently been compounded by someone at the dealership... is there any way to fix this without needing a paint job.  the compounding left a lot of scratches in the paint.  btw , the car is black

UPDATE
I went to 2 body shops and both said that the car has factory paint and has never been repainted. The dealer wouldn't take the car back because it is in the process of getting titled from the DMV.  They said they would have the driver door ding fixed, which their prep guy admitted to fucking up, and to have the car hand glazed to take out the swirl marks.  My auto body guy said that the small area by the edge of the door can be painted without having to paint the whole door.  I think I should get it done because it looks like the paint is chipping from the ding.  I am still highly pissed but what can I do.  If the dealer won't take it back and the state AG said they don't have to I am kind of screwed.  

Oh and the salesman had the balls to "remind" me to give him and the dealership high marks when Honda calls for a survey, yeah right.

Anyway, would you guys have the ding that is chipping fixed?  Will glazing perm remove the swirl marks?

UPDATE 2

It came back from the body shop today.  Instead of painting a small part of the door they painted the whole door and did a shit job at that.  There were paint runs every where and the texture didn't macth the texture of the two adjacent panels.  I am so pissed right now.  The Honda dealer wants to try a different body shop and said the door needs to come off of the car to be completely stripped and repainted.  The sales manger started arguing with me and he almost got punched in the fucking face.  What the hell do I do now?

Link Posted: 11/1/2007 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Take it back in and have them fix it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2007 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#2]
My car got it's first ding when it still had drive out tags. I wouldn't worry about it. If you fix every thing you'll go broke.

If you want to fix it, try...

http://www.paintscratch.com/

You can get a kit with primer, paint and clearcoat.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2007 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Depending on your dealer,...

you're either screwed if you didn't do a walk around before taking possession

or

They'll make it right.

Since you have nothing to lose by trying, take it back and talk to the GENERAL MANAGER - not your sales guy!, It'll probly work ok if you skip right to the top.
Link Posted: 11/1/2007 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#4]
the swirl marks are what is really bad.  the reflection is distorted.  can those be taken out?
Link Posted: 11/1/2007 5:47:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
the swirl marks are what is really bad.  the reflection is distorted.  can those be taken out?

Yes

But it takes a good deal of work, and the correct tools and chemicals.. Not really an easy thing to do your first time at it... That much more with black.
Link Posted: 11/1/2007 5:47:48 PM EDT
[#6]
HAHAHAHAHA

You bought a BLACK car and you are bitching about swirl marks???

Seriously, it's gonna get worse, WAY WORSE.

Since it's new I would complain but it's a black car. NO black car looks the same after it leaves the lot.

Link Posted: 11/1/2007 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
HAHAHAHAHA

Since it's new I would complain but it's a black car. NO black car looks the same after it leaves the lot.

this looks like someone hit it with a brillo pad. i am so pissed.
Link Posted: 11/1/2007 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Was this a "new to you" car or a NEW car?

FWIW, I'd go back to the dealership and do some talking.  If no help, call the local TV station.

Then, DRAW DOWN!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2007 6:12:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
HAHAHAHAHA

this looks like someone hit it with a brillo pad. i am so pissed.

OK brillo pad swirl marks are a BEAT DOWN® offense.

Make 'em pay.
Link Posted: 11/1/2007 6:14:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Find someone (hotrod paint shop) who knows how to finesse paint, and who can measure the paint thickness.   They will be able to tell you if it can be fixed without repainting.

I can turn swirls, orange peel, rough paint, etc,  into a mirror finish, using ultra fine abrasives (NO wax), but it takes a bit of knowledge, skill and the right tools.   You really want someone who does this kind of work on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 11/1/2007 6:18:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I picked up my Accord on tuesday and only today noticed that there is a ding about a 1/4 inch up from the bottom of the drive door that has a paint chip and looks like someone applied touch up paint to it.  

In addition to that, there is an area on the passenger door that has apparently been compounded by someone at the dealership... is there any way to fix this without needing a paint job.  the compounding left a lot of scratches in the paint.  btw , the car is black

As far as swirl marks...yes they can be taken out-- by a professional only. When you buff a car the correct way it is a long process. My advice, take the car back to the dealer and bitch. If it doesn't work, take it to a good body shop, not a detail shop. Details shop make them shine, body shops will make it right,
Link Posted: 11/1/2007 6:23:46 PM EDT
[#12]
for those that are asking it is brand new and has 100 miles on it.  As far as the ding on the bottom part of the door does it have to be repaired or cant they use paintless dent removal and touchup paint?  

Link Posted: 11/1/2007 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
for those that are asking it is brand new and has 100 miles on it.  As far as the ding on the bottom part of the door does it have to be repaired or cant they use paintless dent removal and touchup paint?  

Paintless dent will fix a ding, swirl marks need buffing or possible repaint depending on how deep.severe the scratching.

Take it back and BITCH BITCH BITCH
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 4:06:50 AM EDT
[#14]
The local body shop guy said that the ding can't be fixed using paintless dent removal because it is on the seam.  He said that it would need to be filled in and the door sprayed, which he is recommending that I don't do because I'd be opening myself up for a whole bunch of problems.  

He did say that the compunding marks can be buffed out.  

I'm fucking pissed.  Would you guys have a door repaired for a ding on the bottom?
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 10:22:27 AM EDT
[#15]
UPDATE:

Well a different local body shop guy said that the car has definitly been repainted before, specifically the passenger door and quarter panel.  Isn't that lovely.
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
UPDATE:

Well a local body shop guy said that the car has definitly been repainted before, specifically the passenger door and quarter panel.  Isn't that lovely.

So, a brand new car off the lot, from the factory has repainted/used parts on it?
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Did you even look at the car before signing the papers ?  Black cars are the easiest to see defects in.

Good luck.  New cars are sold many times with body work.  Things happen in transit.
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I always tell people that buy new vehicles to just go out and put a scratch in it somewhere and get it over with.

It's going to happen sooner or later
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
UPDATE:

Well a local body shop guy said that the car has definitly been repainted before, specifically the passenger door and quarter panel.  Isn't that lovely.
and this is a brand new 2007/2008(?) Accord?

Link Posted: 11/2/2007 10:37:20 AM EDT
[#20]
you got 30 days, bud. i would be going to a dealer and be getting ready to do a beat down.

i would also explain to said dealer that if you don't get anywhere your going be talking to say...Jay Nixon at the attorney general office they like these type thing. especially since its new. you have up to like 1000k miles in mo i think i would not be driving it and head right there.

see if the body shop guy will put in writing what he said.

good luck.

Ronald
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#21]
I've got some dings and rock chips on my car.  It's only two years old.  I'm waiting for a few more then I'm going to rattle can it flat black.  You could try that.

Link Posted: 11/2/2007 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I've got some dings and rock chips on my car.  It's only two years old.  I'm waiting for a few more then I'm going to rattle can it flat black.  You could try that.

seriously, woudl you want a car that had a repainted door and quarter panel if you bought it new?   I am so pissed beyond words right now.
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#23]
... dupe post...
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 12:53:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
UPDATE:

and this is a brand new 2007/2008(?) Accord?

It is very common for new cars to have had body damage and been repaired/repainted. Transport and moving them around the dealership.
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 12:55:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I would take the car back and have them give my money back.

vmax84
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 1:21:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

seriously, woudl you want a car that had a repainted door and quarter panel if you bought it new?   I am so pissed beyond words right now.

I can understand the frustration.  I drive a vehice that attracts dents though...so I only got pissed the first or second one I found.  After that I just laughed.

A jacked up car off the lot is bullshit though.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Tell us what the dealer says.
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 9:20:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm going to my bodyshop guy first thing in the morning to see if he thinks the car was repainted.  Then I'm going to make the dealer use a paint meter on the car.

Would you guys let them paint the door to fix the din on the bottom?  Paintless dent removal won't work because it is on the seam.
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#29]
wow, assholes. take that shit back and demand a refund, and then go buy the car somewhere else
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 9:42:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the 'manufacturer' did the repair & repaint...I would have no problem with it.

www.e90post.com/vpc/index.asp.htm

However, if the 'dealer' did it...I would have a problem.

ETA: can't read shit...

Link Posted: 11/2/2007 9:52:44 PM EDT
[#31]
I'd have a problem with it, a new car should be new and so should the paint, all of it.  

Personally I wouldn't let them do anything to the paint during pre delivery prep except hand wash it, then I'd inspect it, in the daylight, and then, if it met my satisfaction, I'd take delivery.  Chips, spots that have been buffed, etc, etc., are unacceptable in a new car, at least to me.

You lose paint over time, buffing and even washing can take paint off.  It only makes sense to start with as much as possible.

Make them take it back and give you another car.  This time, inspect it carefully, in the daylight before accepting delivery.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 10:32:57 AM EDT
[#32]
If you got it from a Honda dealer you should be able to point it out and get it replaced/fixed (hopefully replaced).

We had an accord with a trunk mounted spoiler that the rubber gasket kept repositioning and deforming on.
It was under warranty, and I pointed it out, expecting a new rubber washer.
Got it back, NEW $600.00 spoiler, same body color as car.

A lot of states have 3 day return provisions on new vehicles...
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I'm going to my bodyshop guy first thing in the morning to see if he thinks the car was repainted.  Then I'm going to make the dealer use a paint meter on the car.

Would you guys let them paint the door to fix the din on the bottom?  Paintless dent removal won't work because it is on the seam.

I would make the manager give me a new door off another black Accord.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#34]
update first post
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 3:11:52 PM EDT
[#35]
You could call Honda's corporate office and see what they have to say.

They may be able to offer a "fix" or work with you in a more reasonable fashion than the dealership stealership.

The stealerships tend to be more receptive when Corporate is involved.
Link Posted: 11/13/2007 10:42:58 AM EDT
[#36]
You need to have them take this car off your hands and refund your money.
Link Posted: 11/13/2007 12:15:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quick observation:

Where are all the guys screaming "OMGZ, A CAR IS A TOOL!!!  JUST DRIVE IT YOU PUSSY!!!!11!!11"  ?

We see them all the time when someone complains about finish issues on a brand new gun.

Link Posted: 11/13/2007 2:04:54 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Seriously, how can I get them to do that?  

It's in the damn body shop for a second time.  Even if the paint is perfect, which is not likely, the value of the car has decreased.

Link Posted: 11/13/2007 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously, how can I get them to do that?  

It's in the damn body shop for a second time.  Even if the paint is perfect, which is not likely, the value of the car has decreased.

The value of the car was decreased the second you signed the sales contract.  Its an accord, not a friggin' bentley.  Nobody will care in the least by the time its traded.
Link Posted: 11/14/2007 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#40]
bump for more reads and opinions
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 7:10:19 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
This is exactly how I feel...  the problem is that the dealer isn't willing to take the car back.   And getting into a 2008 is gonna cost me $5K.  Could you post a pic of the repainted area compared to a factory panel?  I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks

Make them take it back.  You may need an attorney.  Drive it to their lot and park it, remove your tags.

Wrong thread, my fault.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top