BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 6:58:16 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've always wondered how successful of a weapon the mini-gun is/was in battle? Anyone have first-hand experience?

They've been used a number of times in actual combat situations....usually from aircraft of some sort.

They are awesome weapon if you can get one on your side.

They don't call it "the fight stopper" for nothing

I own page 3 beeotchez
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:10:55 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I remember seeing on one of those AMC "enhanced" showings of Terminator 2 that Arnold was the only person on set that could carry the prop mini-gun.

I dont know how much it weighed, but the actual one used in the 2 movies was for sale at Knobb Creek back in 2004 or 5.

The backpack was an old Lightweight rucksack frame with 2 shelves,had a 24V battery on top and a 1500 round ammo can on the bottom.

A loaded 1500 round can of 762 weighs 121lbs.

yeah i remember a add in Small Arms review around the same time period asking price 140k irc with the live barrels and the dummy barrels.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:24:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

He's a friggin robot

cybernetic organism
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:33:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm sitting here watching Terminator 2, and got to wondering is there really a man portable minigun rig out there or is it Hollyweird magic?  I'd figure the gun, the power supply and the ammo would make the thing weigh like a billion pounds and make it pretty much an exclusive vehicle mounted weapon?

edit for grammar and such

He's a friggin robot

From the friggin future.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:58:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Even if you could hold all that weight up the gun would spin you around with the recoil..
I have seen a Mini-Gun fired in person many times and I would ever dream of shooting one offhand..

If you decide to try make sure you video it!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:00:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:01:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The GMV-S has been fitted for and deployed with( 2003/2004) the Mk44/M134 minigun , but this is a HMMWV modified for Army Special Operations Command.

www.hunt101.com/data/548/medium/GMV-S.jpg

Seen a couple near Balad AB, Iraq.

Theres a few around VBC as well
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:02:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I didn't know that there aren't any miniguns on ground based vehicles.  How much electrical power does it take to operate one?

Ohhh yes there are...
However the one in the Predator movie was one of just a couple made in 5.56mm.
As far as T2... All cybernetic organisms from the future can carry a minigun.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 10:50:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I didn't know that there aren't any miniguns on ground based vehicles.  How much electrical power does it take to operate one?

Ohhh yes there are...
However the one in the Predator movie was one of just a couple made in 5.56mm.
As far as T2... All cybernetic organisms from the future can carry a minigun.

Not sure about that i think it was a 7.62?

can any one confirm that
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I love miniguns.

that is all.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 3:07:11 PM EDT
[#11]
height=8
Quoted:
I love miniguns.

that is all. ho
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Just so that we're clear, Jason and I are coming for you, OP!

Link Posted: 1/22/2008 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#14]
A 1500 round can of 7.62 is not exactly light, either.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top