Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/6/2008 8:29:38 AM EDT
I'm sitting here watching Terminator 2, and got to wondering is there really a man portable minigun rig out there or is it Hollyweird magic?  I'd figure the gun, the power supply and the ammo would make the thing weigh like a billion pounds and make it pretty much an exclusive vehicle mounted weapon?

edit for grammar and such
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm sitting here watching Terminator 2, and got to wondering is there really a man portable minigun rig out there or is it Hollyweird magic?  I'd figure the gun, the power supply and the ammo would make the thing weigh like a billion pounds and make it pretty much an exclusive vehicle mounted weapon?

I believe that I've read that the Hollwood man held version was only a prop and doesn't exist in the real world.
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm sitting here watching Terminator 2, and got to wondering is there really a man portable minigun rig out there or is Hollyweird magic?  I'd figure the gun, the power supply and the ammo would make the thing weigh like a billion pounds and make it pretty much a vehicle mounted weapon?

Hollywood magic... They run the cable down through the actor's pants leg, and out behind him... Ammo is not an issue, as the actual 'firing' is special effects...

In real life, it is an AIRCRAFT mounted weapon, due both to the weight of the ammo & the amount of power required to run it...

They are used primarily by special operations aviation & the Air Force....

'Big' Army helicopters use standard M-240s (the M60 is FINALLY *gone*).... I don't know about the Marines...

We don't have miniguns on ground vehicles - it's M240, Mk19 or M-2, on the 'small' side... Big side is 25mm, 105mm, and 120mm

The closest thing to a minigun in a ground vehicle is the 25mm in the Bradley - it's an electrically operated chain gun, but it's only got 1 barrel....

Link Posted: 1/6/2008 8:40:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I didn't know that there aren't any miniguns on ground based vehicles.  How much electrical power does it take to operate one?
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 8:40:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

He's a friggin robot
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 8:41:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's a friggin robot

Well, Jesse Ventura carried one in Predator too.
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 8:42:17 AM EDT
[#6]
There was an article about that in the Dillon Blue Press.  (Dillon Aero makes the minigun for the US.)  Hollywood magic, all the "how" was in the article.
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 1/6/2008 8:43:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I believe they used the same blank firing mini-gun for Predator and Terminator 2.
It was made just for the movies.
It's sitting in some museum now.
The actual 7.62 mini-gun puts out somewhere around 180lbs of recoil, combined with the torque, you're not going to hold it.
Unless you're Arnold.
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 8:52:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Unless you're Arnold.

Or Jesse Ventura
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 8:52:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm sitting here watching Terminator 2, and got to wondering is there really a man portable minigun rig out there or is Hollyweird magic?  I'd figure the gun, the power supply and the ammo would make the thing weigh like a billion pounds and make it pretty much a vehicle mounted weapon?

Hollywood magic... They run the cable down through the actor's pants leg, and out behind him... Ammo is not an issue, as the actual 'firing' is special effects...

In real life, it is an AIRCRAFT mounted weapon, due both to the weight of the ammo & the amount of power required to run it...

'Big' Army helicopters use standard M-240s (the M60 is FINALLY *gone*).... I don't know about the Marines...

We don't have miniguns on ground vehicles - it's M240, Mk19 or M-2, on the 'small' side... Big side is 25mm, 105mm, and 120mm

The closest thing to a minigun in a ground vehicle is the 25mm in the Bradley - it's an electrically operated chain gun, but it's only got 1 barrel....

Dewd, you need to getchoo one of these:
Official Arfcom Staff Car
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 9:00:35 AM EDT
[#11]
it is used on UH-1's in the Marines...  what an awesome weapon.   with the .50 going off in the other door, it makes a sweet song with a good beat.
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 9:27:03 AM EDT
[#12]
The GMV-S has been fitted for and deployed with( 2003/2004) the Mk44/M134 minigun , but this is a HMMWV modified for Army Special Operations Command.
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

i117.photobucket.com/albums/o75/Belmont31R/afo.jpg

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M163_VADS

Even better!

I would love to see the effects of this in the ground support role!  It would have done a number on enemy light and medium armor too.

ETA:

Current system in use in Iraq as an anti-rocket system.  Looks like it's an adaptation of the Navy CIWS.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qf4HwPKnqk

This is the M-163 in use by S. Korean troops. Can-O-Whoopass.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQw_W7kD1U0

-K
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 9:33:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's not a military vehicle...
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 9:33:42 AM EDT
[#15]
The torque and recoil would make lugging one pretty much impossible. Not to mention the 4 or 5 deep cycle batteries needed to run the motor...

GT
(had the pleasure of shooting a Garwood Industries M-134 a couple years ago)
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#16]
There is a 5.56mm minigun IRRC.

You'll need at least some car batteries and a backback full of ammo, and you'd probably only have 1-2 seconds worth of firing time.

MIGHT be possible for a "man portable" system for someone like Arnuld, but even in the movie, they didn't do it like this.
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

there are HMMV and technicals that have Miniguns mounted for SF. there is was some awesome video on youtube, of SF taking care of business with them. its been on there.
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 9:41:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

While the military may not use ground mounted miniguns they are made.  There's a LE department here in California that has several vehicle mounted miniguns in 7.62.

I can't confirm it but i thought the military was starting to use the miniguns on ground vehicles.
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#19]
There were two 5.56 miniguns that were prototypes and never got past that stage.  It was to see if there could be a man-portable minigun.

I would like to see a man-portable micro-mini-gun chambered .17 HMR that could be mounted on your forearm with some type of thumb button for a trigger.  

Heh   imagine one on each forearm

LB
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 9:47:57 AM EDT
[#20]
There has been a video posted of a HMMV with a mini-gun in Iraq on here before.  Plus lots of helos have mini guns.  I am no expert but I do watch the military channel!
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

IIRC the recoil from the 7.62 minigun is > 80KG continuous.  You are not going to fire it for long even if you can lift, power and carry the ammo for it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The GMV-S has been fitted for and deployed with( 2003/2004) the Mk44/M134 minigun , but this is a HMMWV modified for Army Special Operations Command.

Link Posted: 1/6/2008 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#23]
It's total hollywood garbage.

In one of the recent Small Arms Reviews they had an article on the Garwood M-134G 7.62x51 minigun.

Here's the numbers:
It has 6 barrels and 6 bolts, 6 bolt carriers housed in a single "receiver".
It is powered by a 28V DC motor.
Optimal ROF is 3200 rpm.
Weight, empty: 61.5 lbs
Barrel life: 100,000 rounds each
Weapon life: 1,500,000 rounds
Recoil at 4,000 rpm:     Peak 375lbs
                                 Avg   240lbs
Price: $55,000

When firing at full ROF of 4,000rpm that gun generates a peak THRUST of 375lbs from recoil. Unless a sumo wrestler was shooting it, they would be knocked on their arse.

Not to mention how bad accuracy would suffer. That'd be like trying to look through a telescope while a sumo wrestler pushes on the other end of it.

On vehicle mount = good.
On person = hogwash
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 10:17:22 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
We don't have miniguns on ground vehicles

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 10:21:13 AM EDT
[#25]
DILLON-AERO minigun site.
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 10:30:20 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's not a military vehicle...

Didn't say it was, just that you need to getchoo one.  In fact, we all need to get us one.  You do agree with that, don't you?  (Think they can rig it up on a Prius?  I'm just saying -- to save the planet from global warming and all....)
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#27]
I would rather have a MK-46 or MK-48 anyways.
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Dave_A  go to selection and then you too can have a mini
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 11:38:55 AM EDT
[#29]
I know that Garwood has sold several to security at Los Alamos.

Tracy is a super nice guy. He brought one of his guns to the Big Sandy shoot and was letting anyone who wanted to crank off a couple bursts.

It's an interesting feeling firing a minigun, that's for damn sure..
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
There is a 5.56mm minigun IRRC.

General Electric Six-Pack XM214
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#31]
How Did I miss this thread.

DoD and Dillon Aero Certified Minigun Armorer.

Ive shot them a time or too also, both Helo and Vehicle mounted
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#32]
I remember seeing on one of those AMC "enhanced" showings of Terminator 2 that Arnold was the only person on set that could carry the prop mini-gun.
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I remember seeing on one of those AMC "enhanced" showings of Terminator 2 that Arnold was the only person on set that could carry the prop mini-gun.

Any idea how much the prop weighed?  Near the same as the real thing?
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.hunt101.com/data/548/medium/GMV-S.jpg

Seen a couple near Balad AB, Iraq.
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Unless you're Arnold.

Or Jesse Ventura

Mark LaRue.
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I dont know how much it weighed, but the actual one used in the 2 movies was for sale at Knobb Creek back in 2004 or 5.

The backpack was an old Lightweight rucksack frame with 2 shelves,had a 24V battery on top and a 1500 round ammo can on the bottom.

A loaded 1500 round can of 762 weighs 121lbs.

Link Posted: 1/6/2008 6:04:31 PM EDT
[#37]
I recall hearding South Africans tried to make one for clearing airfields or some such thing. It never went anywhere.

I wonder is one in an exceptionally small caliber such as .22 magnum or even .17 HMR would be effective.
Basically the same premise as PDW, putting out a large amount of small, fairly ineffective rounds, relying on many hitting the target to do the damage.
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont know how much it weighed, but the actual one used in the 2 movies was for sale at Knobb Creek back in 2004 or 5.

The backpack was an old Lightweight rucksack frame with 2 shelves,had a 24V battery on top and a 1500 round ammo can on the bottom.

A loaded 1500 round can of 762 weighs 121lbs.

24V battery is probably at least another 50-60 lbs, and hell, 1500 rounds?  That'd be what, like 2 seconds worth of ammo?
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:52:54 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I wonder is one in an exceptionally small caliber such as .22 magnum or even .17 HMR would be effective.

Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I'm sitting here watching Terminator 2, and got to wondering is there really a man portable minigun rig out there or is it Hollyweird magic?

Hollywood magic.

I believe the weapon itself is about 100 pounds. Then there's the power supply you'd need to run it....

And a human being could only carry enough ammo for a very very short burst.

A man portable weapon that can fling 1,000 rounds per minute of 7.62x51 isn't going to show up anytime soon.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:55:19 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 1/20/2008 6:40:39 PM EDT
[#42]
It has been noted that with the advancements made in battery technology, a lighter version of the XM214 powered with tv cameraman style "belt pack" batteries would make such a weapon more feasible than it was in the 70s, particularly if the number of barrels were reduced to three or four.

Of course the logistics of such a weapon are so far out that it's still far from practical.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#43]
in response to one of the questions, they also mount them to strikers and and the 6 wheeler along with the hmmv
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#44]
More info please!
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#45]
I've always wondered how successful of a weapon the mini-gun is/was in battle? Anyone have first-hand experience?
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#46]
It did exist, they just coulden't get the gun and 1000rds of ammo in a pack under 65lbs. The batterys nowdays would be very small and light, back when they made this thing it had to be powered by a truck battery. Hey, that was the 80's.

It is something like 22lbs of continuous recoil per 1000rds a min and fires up to 10,000rds per min thats 166rds per second. With only 1000rds of ammo....... its an overpriced paperweight.

XM214
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 8:04:06 PM EDT
[#47]
I know in Terminator 2 two they had the gun mounted and just made it look like Arnold was holding it. Also in Prediator the first time they tried to shoot it, even with blanks mind you, it knocked the guy on his ass. But yeah its no good at all for real life, nice idea, but didn't work.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:35:57 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I've always wondered how successful of a weapon the mini-gun is/was in battle? Anyone have first-hand experience?

They've been used a number of times in actual combat situations....usually from aircraft of some sort.

They are awesome weapon if you can get one on your side.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 6:27:54 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

yes, on the ground
they are very usefull, but only in a limited role, like a heavy crew served, not everyone needs one, but having a few is great
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 6:45:34 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Dave_A  go to selection and then you too can have a mini

ooops..
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top