Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2008 11:46:43 AM EDT
OUCH! DAD WAS JUS SAVING A FEW BUCKS!
DALLAS, N.C. —  Investigators say a man has been charged with child abuse in Caldwell County for circumcising his two infant sons with a utility knife.

Authorities said 32-year-old Johnny Eric Marlowe fathered children with his legal wife and another woman who live in their home. One gave birth to a boy at their home in the rural Kings Creek community in November 2005, and the other gave birth to a boy there four months later.

Caldwell County Sheriff's Detective Shelly Hartley said Marlowe denied the women prenatal care in both cases and circumcised the boys when they were 8 days old.

Marlowe later moved to Gaston County and is serving a 150-day jail sentence there on charges of resisting a public officer, assault on a female and multiple counts of child neglect.

Marlowe had a total of 11 children with the two women.

Link Posted: 2/8/2008 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 11:47:47 AM EDT
[#2]
That's odd, but where's the crime? Doctors do it w/o anesthetic.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 11:49:41 AM EDT
[#3]
The question is, did he do it right, or did he screw it up?

It's my understanding the Jews circumcise their sons at home and it's a big ritual with a rabbi and all kinds of ceremony.

I'm not comparing the Jewish method with using a utility knife, but if they start going after home circumcisions as child abuse then that could have a dramatic effect on the religious freedoms of Jews in this country.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 11:50:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Marlowe denied the women prenatal care and how about the part were hes not a doctor.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Marlowe denied the women prenatal care and how about the part were hes not a doctor.

Rabbis perform circumcisions and they are not doctors.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The question is, did he do it right, or did he screw it up?

It's my understanding the Jews circumcise their sons at home and it's a big ritual with a rabbi and all kinds of ceremony.

I'm not comparing the Jewish method with using a utility knife, but if they start going after home circumcisions as child abuse then that could have a dramatic effect on the religious freedoms of Jews in this country.

Ja.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 11:52:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I'm with the honorable poster from Florida on this.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Religion:  Check
Modern Sensibilities:  Check

I predict a

Link Posted: 2/8/2008 11:54:18 AM EDT
[#9]
At least he didn't wait till they were teenagers
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 11:54:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Doctors use sterile tools and, most importantly, know how to do it safely. Same with rabbis who do things the traditional (non-hospital) way. A circumcision is a safe procedure when done properly, but this guy doesn't sound like he has any kind of qualification to be doing such a thing.

That's the issue. Not that a circumcision was performed, but that a circumcision was performed by an untrained, unqualified person using the wrong tools. That shows disregard for safety.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 11:56:23 AM EDT
[#11]
OMG the Government should STOP this!  WHY was the Goverment's all-powerful Hand not RIGHT THERE to knock the evillll UTILITY KNIFE out of this miscreant's grip???

I'll bet he plans to HOMESCHOOL them too!!!!!!1!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm guessing thats allowed under religious beliefs. a Rabbi does thousands and is more than qualified. How many do you think that joker does. A Rabbi does not use a utility knife.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Doctors use sterile tools and, most importantly, know how to do it safely. Same with rabbis who do things the traditional (non-hospital) way. A circumcision is a safe procedure when done properly, but this guy doesn't sound like he has any kind of qualification to be doing such a thing.

That's the issue. Not that a circumcision was performed, but that a circumcision was performed by an untrained, unqualified person using the wrong tools. That shows disregard for safety.

Did the circumcision turn out right? Yes or no.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
A Rabbi does not use a utility knife.

It's a steel blade.  It works in much the same as as any other steel blade.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm guessing thats allowed under religious beliefs. a Rabbi does thousands and is more than qualified. How many do you think that joker does. A Rabbi does not use a utility knife.

how much difference is there between a precision x-acto type knife that's properly sterilized and a scalpel?  how accurate do you think this story is based on the reporting of every gun as an AK47 by the MSM?
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm with the honorable poster from Florida on this.

Yup, I'm going to have to tag this thread in case I find out I can make millions suing my Rabbi for child abuse all those years ago.  It's had a lasting impact after all.

-Ben
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:02:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Moses did it with a sharp piece of flint. This guy may not be an upstanding human being when the points are added up, but I fail to see the crime committed in this particular case.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:04:45 PM EDT
[#18]
OK I'm wrong. Its perfectly fine to deny the mothers medical care. Its also fine for an unqualified person to carve on an 8 day old infants wiener. Just as long as the goverment is not involved.

Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:04:56 PM EDT
[#19]
im sorry the thought of some guy with a utility knife hovering over some baby [probably with whiskey on his breath]sshhheeesh!
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:06:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Just another religious nut case.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:08:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Doctors are also trained how to do it properly and there is less risk of the child being physically damaged.  Doctors also use sterile technique so there is less risk of infection.  

ETA: I just wonder if he mutilated them or actually performed it right?  
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:10:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doctors are also trained how to do it properly and there is less risk of the child being physically damaged.  Doctors also use sterile technique so there is less risk of infection.  

Did this child's circumcision come out right, yes or no?
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
im sorry the thought of some guy with a utility knife hovering over some baby [probably with whiskey on his breath]sshhheeesh!

I'm not supporting this guy, I am just saying that there are implications beyond this one incident. First it's some guy that sounds like a weirdo, then it's everybody regardless of their religious beliefs.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:11:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did this child's circumcision come out right, yes or no?

See my edit above your post.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:13:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Moses did it with a sharp piece of flint. This guy may not be an upstanding human being when the points are added up, but I fail to see the crime committed in this particular case.

That's what I was thinking.  Heck, if I had the choice between flint and a utility knife, I'd choose utility knife.  

Of course, this is the same nation which has a few states that consider it child abuse if you spank your kid, too, so why should I expect anything different now-a-days.

If it's considered child abuse what he did to his son with a utility knife, then is sure as heck better be considered child abuse by the doctors who perform circ's every day of the year without anesthetic as well.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:13:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh I know I'm really reaching here... but wtf right?

Did the woman have her fingers circumcised too?
Could she not operate the phone? Doesn't know what 911 is? What?

I mean, being denied medical treatment, but not a prisoner or being held against your will? Wheres the rest of the story here... I'm calling:

Sorry.

eta: oooh, pg 2 bs flag ownage! Niiiice
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:16:47 PM EDT
[#27]
well it did say he had a total of 11 kids between the two women,maybe he had plenty of practise, wouldn't want to be the first one
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:18:34 PM EDT
[#28]
It said the guy had 11 kids between the two women.  He probably had some practice before this one.  

Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:19:49 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

The doc for my kids didn't.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:21:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You sure about that?

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:22:42 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Do you guys *really* think that for the 3000 or so years since God gave the Israelite people the command to circumcise their boys on the 8th day (which is the day that your blood starts clotting naturally, without the Vit K shot, btw) all Jewish dads have used scalpels and betadine when they circ'd them?

Come on... if millions of other dads over thousands of years haven't had a problem doing it with flint knives, do you really think this guy should have had a problem with it?  Heck, it's a relatively simple procedure anyway.  I was flipping through the channels the other night and saw where some African dads were doing it to their kids who were 4 or 5 YEARS old using the same knives they cut up their cattle with.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Don't Read This
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:29:58 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Don't Read This

OYE VAY!!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:30:02 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

While I would have had the Doc. do it, It's not the govt./police's place to tell a parent when they will take their child to the doctor.

Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A Rabbi does not use a utility knife.

It's a steel blade.  It works in much the same as as any other steel blade.

Oh god, it might have been a tactical assault utility knife.  NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:36:10 PM EDT
[#37]
At least it wasn't a huge gas-guzzling "Sport" Utility Knife, operated by a 110 lb soccer mom who can barely see over the hilt!
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:36:14 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

While I would have had the Doc. do it, It's not the govt./police's place to tell a parent when they will take their child to the doctor.

IF THE WOMAN... wanted a doctor... she could have, very easily, called the police, and stated she's being held against her will.

AM I WRONG?

Both parents MUST have consented to doing this, and if so, no... theres no crime here.
This isn't the same thing as performing an illegal procedure/surgery IMO.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
OK I'm wrong. Its perfectly fine to deny the mothers medical care. Its also fine for an unqualified person to carve on an 8 day old infants wiener. Just as long as the goverment is not involved.

Believe it or not, pregnancy is not a disease.  A doctor is not required to deliver a healthy baby.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA: I just wonder if he mutilated them or actually performed it right?  

You can sterilize a utility knife.. just need some berling water
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rabbi's or mohels are likely more experienced.  I attended a bris several months ago, and the procedure was done is ~ a minute.

Shalom,

Ed
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IF THE WOMAN... wanted a doctor... she could have, very easily, called the police, and stated she's being held against her will.

AM I WRONG?

Both parents MUST have consented to doing this, and if so, no... theres no crime here.
This isn't the same thing as performing an illegal procedure/surgery IMO.

Unless he tied her to a chair for 9 months or something, in which case I would guess that he'd be facing different charges.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:48:44 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Believe it or not, pregnancy is not a disease.  A doctor is not required to deliver a healthy baby.  

pregnancy is not a disease

This is something our culture and medical people have trouble understanding
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:50:42 PM EDT
[#44]
11 kids!!??  Damn, he's gonna get a sweet rebate check this Spring.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:53:11 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I was thinking.  Heck, if I had the choice between flint and a utility knife, I'd choose utility knife.

I'd choose the flint or especially obsidian.

Freshly chipped rock is far more likely to be clean, if not sterile, than a utility knife. And probably sharper, too.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 12:54:33 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
OUCH! DAD WAS JUS SAVING A FEW BUCKS!

Authorities said 32-year-old Johnny Eric Marlowe fathered.......a total of 11 children with the two women.

Busy dude.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#47]
That's how we roll in NC.

I got three womenz in da kitchen. All knocked up n' barefooted.
Link Posted: 2/9/2008 12:08:33 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You sure about that?

Bigfeet

Just to be clear I meant the doc "didn't do it without anesthetic".

I watched both of them! They still cried though
Link Posted: 2/9/2008 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Regardless of beliefs, the goverment is interfering with religion. What happened to seperation of church and state? I guess it's different when the government want's to "Restrict" something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top