Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2008 3:57:48 PM EDT
If you buy computer products, components, tv's, whatever, seriously, buy from them

I recently purchased a Nokia N95-3, a $500.00 Smartphone from Tiger Direct. Well, recently, I've started having a hell of a lot of issues with it. Nokia was about as receptive as a rock to my issues, so I had to call Tiger Direct to see what they could do for me.

I placed the original order on 1/14/08, received it on 1/16/08. Well, the problems really started arising lately. So, I'm about 2 months out of their exchange policy. I called them up and explained my situation, and spoke with a gentlemen whom actually seemed to give a shit about customers, and customer service. That, I can respect.

He put me on hold, and I held for about ten solid minutes, got back on the line and basically said that if I buy another unit, which I had no problem with, that when they received the original returned unit, they would credit me the 517.98 that I paid for it. So in other words, they hooked me up, well out of their return policy.

I can appreciate that.
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 4:07:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Tiger Direct is a great company...now they also have whatever is left of CompUSA's stock...
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been using Tiger Direct for a couple of years now and I have not had one problem with them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#3]
This alone proved they have my undying loyalty.
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I've bought stuff from Tiger and had only one problem but they resolved it so I like them.  Plus one of their outlet stores is like 10 minutes from my house.
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#5]
They own the CompUSA stores still open in FL and TX.

The old CompUSA crap is long gone, the store near me is actually a cool place to go now for computer gear.
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 5:14:12 PM EDT
[#6]
A good friend of mine buys most of his stuff from them when he builds a new computer. He loves them.

And when I get around to building something I'll be buying most of what I need from them. They will certainly be the first place I start shopping.
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 5:17:10 PM EDT
[#7]
That's awesome customer service.  Good for you and good for them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 5:17:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Usually way overpriced IMHO
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If you buy computer products, components, tv's, whatever, seriously, buy from them

I recently purchased a Nokia N95-3, a $500.00 Smartphone from Tiger Direct. Well, recently, I've started having a hell of a lot of issues with it. Nokia was about as receptive as a rock to my issues, so I had to call Tiger Direct to see what they could do for me.

I placed the original order on 1/14/08, received it on 1/16/08. Well, the problems really started arising lately. So, I'm about 2 months out of their exchange policy. I called them up and explained my situation, and spoke with a gentlemen whom actually seemed to give a shit about customers, and customer service. That, I can respect.

He put me on hold, and I held for about ten solid minutes, got back on the line and basically said that if I buy another unit, which I had no problem with, that when they received the original returned unit, they would credit me the 517.98 that I paid for it. So in other words, they hooked me up, well out of their return policy.

I can appreciate that.

Off topic, but...
You buy $500 phones? What the hell can you do with it that that makes it worth $500? My piece 'o junk RAZR works fine.
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 5:43:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can appreciate that.

Off topic, but...
You buy $500 phones? What the hell can you do with it that that makes it worth $500? My piece 'o junk RAZR works fine.

I do.

I like to buy devices that are considered convergence devices. Why? Because of what they offer.. The N95 has a 5 Megapixel Camera, with a Carl Zeiss Lense, a built in GPS receiver with voice navigation and points of interest. It's a PDA, for keeping track of shit I have to do, which to me is of the utmost importance. It has a full web browser which can open just about any web page. It's an MP3 player, it's a video player, it's as Nokia coins it, "What computers have become."

So instead of carrying around a Camera, a GPS unit, a PDA, and MP3 player, and a phone,  I carry my N95. Problem solved.

So when you think about it, a 5MP Camera, is about 200, a GPS is about 250, an iPod is about 250, and a phone is about 100.

That's 800 bucks. I saved 300. And I only have one device.
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Usually way overpriced IMHO

Well, perhaps on some things, yes, but considering the customer service I received today, it was well worth any bit of money I may have over payed(which I did not.)
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can appreciate that.

Off topic, but...

I do.

I like to buy devices that are considered convergence devices. Why? Because of what they offer.. The N95 has a 5 Megapixel Camera, with a Carl Zeiss Lense, a built in GPS receiver with voice navigation and points of interest. It's a PDA, for keeping track of shit I have to do, which to me is of the utmost importance. It has a full web browser which can open just about any web page. It's an MP3 player, it's a video player, it's as Nokia coins it, "What computers have become."

So instead of carrying around a Camera, a GPS unit, a PDA, and MP3 player, and a phone,  I carry my N95. Problem solved.

I don't even carry around a cell phone....

If you are important enough to talk to in my world, I can get a hold of you.
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can appreciate that.

Off topic, but...

I do.

I don't even carry around a cell phone....

If you are important enough to talk to in my world, I can get a hold of you.

I travel for work. I have to have one, I really have no choice. It's how I make my money.
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#14]
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Do NOT buy from Tiger Direct!!!!

Their "rebates" are outright lies, and I've NEVER gotten a rebate check from them!  I spent $3000 with them, and had about $500 in rebates.  Only the rebates from the manufacturers ever came back.

Newegg, and ZipZoomFly are much better!
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/ayj/vader-nooooo.jpg

Do NOT buy from Tiger Direct!!!!

Their "rebates" are outright lies, and I've NEVER gotten a rebate check from them!  I spent $3000 with them, and had about $500 in rebates.  Only the rebates from the manufacturers ever came back.

Newegg, and ZipZoomFly are much better!

Honestly? Never had a problem with my rebates from them.

I used to work in a rebate related business, most rebate issues are due to these four types of customers:

The Fucktard
I's Cants Undastands Diection
The Disbeliever In Rebates
And, The Clueless

NewEgg and ZipZoomFly are great though, I will agree.
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I've had no problems with returns with them, all of them went smoothly.  I've had to take advantage of it a little too often, with cheap motherboards and cheap power supplies, so it was kinda expected.

If you live near a retail store, the closeouts can absolutely kick ass.  I recently bought a $250 laser all-in-one for $30, still new in the box.

My only beef with them is that they will not accept web returns in store, unless (I think, not sure) I drive 25 miles to the store that's at their main distribution hub.
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I dealt with them a few times in the 90s, was not that good so I dont deal with them anymore.
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 7:03:30 PM EDT
[#18]
The few times I have had problems with stuff bought from Tiger Direct they treated me well.  They immediately send out a replacement, and upon receiving my return, credited me.  No hassle, no BS runaround, just did it.

I don't hesitate to buy their "remanufactured" stuff either, routers and whatnot.  I get full factory warranty, and don't have to wait around for a rebate.  The price on such items is usually less than a new item with rebates.  

I am a very happy Tiger Direct customer.
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#19]
The few times I have had problems with stuff bought from Tiger Direct they treated me well.  They immediately send out a replacement, and upon receiving my return, credited me.  No hassle, no BS runaround, just did it.

I don't hesitate to buy their "remanufactured" stuff either, routers and whatnot.  I get full factory warranty, and don't have to wait around for a rebate.  The price on such items is usually less than a new item with rebates.  

I am a very happy Tiger Direct customer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top