Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2008 2:27:24 PM EDT

911 system, police at odds over 911 call by Madison, WI college student who was killed. WISN's Brendan Conway reports.

Naturally, the government organizations involved are just blaming each other.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/05/02/conway.student.murder.911.WISN

Link purposely left cold due to it being CNN.
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 6:17:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Good thing she didn't have a gun.  College students can't be trusted with guns, you know.  somebody might get hurt.

Brittany Zimmermann called 911, but no one came
Police not sent in response to victim's plea for help

Jason Shepard on Thursday 05/01/2008 , (12) Recommendations

Zimmermann's murder remains unsolved.

Related Articles:

Dane County 911 director Joe Norwick speaks on Brittany Zimmermann call
Brittany Zimmermann: Madison media respond to 911 center revelations
Madison Police confirm 911 dispatcher did not return Brittany Zimmermann's call or send police
Noble Wray contradicts Dane County 911 Center on Brittany Zimmermann case

Article Tools:
Read more News items
Email this article
Print this article
Email the author
Recommend This Article   © 2008 Isthmus Publishing Co.

Madison police believe Brittany Zimmermann called 911 before she was stabbed and beaten to death inside her Doty Street apartment, but the 911 Center failed to send help after erroneously concluding the call was a mistake.

The 21-year-old UW-Madison student's body, with multiple stab wounds to the chest and blunt force trauma to the head, was discovered at 1:08 p.m. on April 2 by Zimmermann's fiancé. The scene was such a mess that he initially believed Zimmermann had been shot.

Zimmermann's murder is the fifth unsolved Madison homicide in the past 10 months. Two have occurred downtown, inside homes, during the day, apparently by strangers.

Four weeks after Zimmermann was murdered, her killer or killers remain at large, and little is known about the investigation. But Isthmus has been able to confirm several new details.

The most significant is that the 911 Center received a call from Zimmermann before she was killed, did not dispatch police, and then did not immediately or accurately inform the Police Department about the call after cops found her body, law enforcement officials tell Isthmus.

Sources suggest the center may have made a call-back to a wrong number, where the person who answered assured that no crisis was occurring. One source says cops might have been better situated to make a quick arrest had mistakes not been made by the 911 Center.

Over the past two and a half weeks, the 911 Center has refused requests for basic information about the calls. This week, Joe Norwick, director of the Dane County 911 Center since July, declined further opportunities to comment after being provided with a written summary of parts of this story.

In an email, Norwick said he was basing his refusal on a request from the Madison Police Department to withhold all information "pertaining to this matter" because release would "seriously impair" the murder investigation.

Rest of the story here:  www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/article.php?article=22485

Link Posted: 5/2/2008 6:21:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 5/2/2008 6:23:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmmmmm.  Madison is the liberal shithole of Wisconsin.
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#5]
good friend of mine is/was her neighbor in madison
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#6]
That's all I have to say
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Well at least the murderer is safe and all of the dispatchers made it home that night. Thank God she didn't have a gun, she could have killed the perp.

Life is soooooo precious.
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#8]
911 calls are subject to FOI requests I believe.
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 6:36:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep, Madison/Univ Wisc  are the liberal areas in Wisc, just like our Berkley, Los Angeles, San Jose in Calif

Funny, there was such a brew-ha-ha a few years over  CCW and guns, there were many people outraged that guns are so easy to get etc etc. Those folks are so strangely silent today after this debacle. Where is the outrage today?
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 6:40:42 PM EDT
[#10]
height=8
Quoted:
Well at least the murderer is safe and all of the dispatchers made it home that night. Thank God she didn't have a gun, she could have killed the perp.

Allowing women to carry guns to protect themselves.. that's just wrong.  

I believe every felon/druggie/juvenile deliquent should be given a gun to protect themselves from the people that might harm them while they are just making a living or fullfilling their uncontrollable fantasies brought on by mental defect from years of mistreatment and poverty caused by the rich white man.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yep, Madison/Univ Wisc  are the liberal areas in Wisc, just like our Berkley, Los Angeles, San Jose in Calif

Funny, there was such a brew-ha-ha a few years over  CCW and guns, there were many people outraged that guns are so easy to get etc etc. Those folks are so strangely silent today after this debacle. Where is the outrage today?

Guns aren't nearly as available as they used to be. Guns used to be sold in hardware stores, drug stores, etc..

I guess making it harder for the law abiding to obtain the toy they've been lusting after doesn't keep them out of the hands of criminals?

Darn, my illusions have been shattered.
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 6:47:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Hmmmmm.  Madison is the liberal shithole of Wisconsin.

The Berkeley of the midwest also.  The police chief of the city is this pussy liberal who has practically eliminated white males from the detective bureau in order to form some lame rainbow coalition of detectives.  They can't solve any murders and they are going to get their asses sued big time.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 6:54:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Man, and I thought missing an SLA on a IT HelpDesk was bad!  If I get reamed for simply mis-typing a cubical address or failing to ask for the asset tag...I can only imagine what would happen if I botched a call and somebody died!

Sheesh.

(Have they started outsourcing 911 call centers to India yet?)
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 6:55:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Just goes to show that you cant depend on someone else for your safety...
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 7:05:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Guns aren't nearly as available as they used to be. Guns used to be sold in hardware stores, drug stores, etc..

Shit, when I was a kid, you could order them through the mail.  We even took them to school.
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 7:08:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Very weird case, some guy snuck into her house and stabbed her during the day.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Thats just shitty
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 7:13:20 PM EDT
[#19]
My wife called 911 yesterday and no one showed.  She answered the doorbell and some strange guy was there talking in a bizarre manner and asking her for a beer.  She never opened the door.  I really don't know if she and 911 were on the same page or whether she might have said "nevermind" but I've got fairly low expectations now.
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Allowing women to carry guns to protect themselves.. that's just wrong.  

I believe every felon/druggie/juvenile deliquent should be given a gun to protect themselves from the people that might harm them while they are just making a living or fullfilling their uncontrollable fantasies brought on by mental defect from years of mistreatment and poverty caused by the rich white man.  

Yes perhaps the perp or "social victim" was suffering from "Slave Ancestor Rage Syndrome."
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 8:16:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Very weird case, some guy snuck into her house and stabbed her during the day.  

See, its not wierd.  It's common.  Women are raped and murdered in their own homes.

Did you think they are raped in back alleys?
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 8:26:34 PM EDT
[#22]
What good are the cops going to be anyway?  After setting up a perimeter, alerting the media, deploying 3 deputies behind cars, 2 snipers who arrive an hour later, and finding the batteries to the bullhorn, it might be a bit late...
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#23]
By law, No gun stores within the city limits of Madison, effectively squeezing out the heathens... This is just another murder in Madison lately that is still unsolved.
Link Posted: 5/3/2008 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
This is just another murder in Madison lately that is still unsolved.

And this is another murder in Madison that the city government is responsible for by the enactment of their stupid gun laws.
Link Posted: 5/3/2008 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#25]
IBTWDL

(in before the wrongful death lawsuit)
Link Posted: 5/3/2008 10:41:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
My wife called 911 yesterday and no one showed.  She answered the doorbell and some strange guy was there talking in a bizarre manner and asking her for a beer.  She never opened the door.  I really don't know if she and 911 were on the same page or whether she might have said "nevermind" but I've got fairly low expectations now.

A man called Tony Gladstone was staring out of his window late one evening when he happened to notice two youths breaking into his garden shed. Without hesitation he called the police.

But you know what it’s like what with staff shortages, heavy workload, and logistical difficulties. The police were sorry but they didn’t have anybody available for catching burglars at that particular moment.

Mr Gladstone is obviously a quick-thinking sort of a chap because about a minute later he phoned again. “I called just now because there were people in my shed,” he said. “Well, you don’t have to hurry now because I’ve shot them.”

Minutes later, Mr Gladstone’s Hampshire village was bathed in blue light. There were half a dozen patrol cars on the scene. There were helicopters, plus an armed response unit ready for action. Against these odds, the burglars decided to come quietly.

After all the excitement was over, the senior officer confronted the enterprising homeowner. “I thought you said you’d shot them,” he said, possibly a little curtly.

“I thought you said there was nobody available,” replied Mr Gladstone.
Link Posted: 5/3/2008 10:47:01 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
By law, No gun stores within the city limits of Madison, effectively squeezing out the heathens... This is just another murder in Madison lately that is still unsolved.

No handgun sales, there are plenty of long guns at retailers within the city limits.

There also isn't a force field keeping people from leaving Madison and buying a handgun outside of Madison and bringing it into Madison. Nor is there a law prohbiting that.

Nor are there laws keeping her from keeping a gun within her residence.

Madison, at almost 300,000 had 8 reported homicides last year. Actually the real number is 6, 2 were "discovered" in 2007 that had been committed earlier.

Link Posted: 5/3/2008 11:12:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/3/2008 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just goes to show that you cant depend on someone else for your safety...

That and over a dozen court cases...
Link Posted: 5/3/2008 11:19:03 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No handgun sales, there are plenty of long guns at retailers within the city limits.

There also isn't a force field keeping people from leaving Madison and buying a handgun outside of Madison and bringing it into Madison. Nor is there a law prohbiting that.

Madison, at almost 300,000 had 8 reported homicides last year. Actually the real number is 6, 2 were "discovered" in 2007 that had been committed earlier.

Nice place... scratching it off list of places to check out now...
Link Posted: 5/3/2008 11:37:29 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ooops, ment to type handgun sales, sorry....I'm aware of the laws...
Link Posted: 5/3/2008 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Ooops, ment to type handgun sales, sorry....I'm aware of the laws...

You can't buy a handgun in Madison, nothing prevents you from owning one.

This call is an issue, of course, if the GPS from a cell phone 911 call mean the cell phone can be 300 meters in any direction to from the GPS point given, how do you send officers in an urban environment to find that caller?

It's only an area of 28260 meters............................

or 2,984,962 sq feet. That's doesn't include vertical space.

Next, if she had a handgun, would she have been mentally prepared to use it? Would it have been accessible when she was attacked? Would she have had the physical skills to use it?

She would have been safe from getting stabbed if she was wearing a medieval suit of armor too. What are the odds she would wear a suit if armor if she had it?
Link Posted: 5/3/2008 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#33]
I guess she didn't know to cower under the sheets and text her mom for help...

At least she didn't have a gun, God knows what would have happened if she had tried to shoot the perp. It probably would have made him *really* mad and escalated the situation.

Link Posted: 5/3/2008 12:24:29 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted: Guns aren't nearly as available as they used to be. Guns used to be sold in hardware stores, drug stores, etc..
Shit, when I was a kid, you could order them through the mail.  We even took them to school.
Ha Ha! You must be older than dirt!
Link Posted: 5/3/2008 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Yet another "acceptable casualty" in the war against self-defense.
Link Posted: 5/3/2008 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/05/02/conway.student.murder.911.WISN

Link purposely left cold due to it being CNN.

WTF!!! It is FINE to hotlink to CNN!!!

We don't hotlink to POLLS and we don't hotlink to DU. ANYTHING ELSE IS FINE!
Link Posted: 5/3/2008 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But Larry, matchlocks dont count
Link Posted: 5/3/2008 12:31:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Thats a shame. 911 is headed for SS.
Link Posted: 5/3/2008 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Makes one wonder what she could have said that Would have gotten a response...

<Self-Defense isn't a privilege...It's a RIGHT.>
FlDiveCop71
Link Posted: 5/3/2008 12:49:47 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

FlDiveCop71

Her address.....................
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 6:50:20 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FlDiveCop71

Her address would be on the screen right in front of the dispatcher.
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 7:22:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Madison tried to outlaw all firearms within the city limits once upon a time.  Thankfully the State Supreme Court struck that down.  

Technically the State Supreme Court says CCW is legal under the state constitution, but our Democrat Governor has vetoed CCW twice now and it won't come up for a vote again until the Republicans regain the legislature.

Incidentally the murder happened a block away from where I work.  We saw the squad cars there all that afternoon.  Too bad they didn't check it out when the got her call...
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 7:25:31 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FlDiveCop71

Maybe, maybe not.
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 7:36:47 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

She called using a cell phone..............................................................

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but cell phones are radio-phones, they are portable and can be moved from place to place. Do they have these yet where you live?

Some cell phones are equipped with GPS technology. GPS stands for Global Positioning System. It uses multiple satellites to triangulate a GPS receivers location in real time.

If a GPS cell phone is used to call 9-1-1, the 9-1-1 system may be able to determine the location of the cell phone, to an area 300 meters in any direction from the GPS coordinates given.

So, next time try to read the article before making a stupid comment that makes you look like a retard.

If she had called from a land line, the would've had the physical location of where she was calling from.

Link Posted: 5/4/2008 7:51:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Those 911 operators can be harmful to ones health at times.....
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 8:00:57 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

She called using a cell phone..............................................................

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but cell phones are radio-phones, they are portable and can be moved from place to place. Do they have these yet where you live?

Some cell phones are equipped with GPS technology. GPS stands for Global Positioning System. It uses multiple satellites to triangulate a GPS receivers location in real time.

If a GPS cell phone is used to call 9-1-1, the 9-1-1 system may be able to determine the location of the cell phone, to an area 300 meters in any direction from the GPS coordinates given.

So, next time try to read the article before making a stupid comment that makes you look like a retard.

If she had called from a land line, the would've had the physical location of where she was calling from.

The cell/wireless technology that gives more accurate (but not exact position) is called phase 2 in the 9-1-1 world. It provides ANI/ALI info that is better but still not exact like a landline (ANI/ALI = automatic number ID/automatic location ID).

Resolving locations based on GPS may be implemented in some places and with some services (e.g.- Northstar) but it is not an industry-wide standard yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top