Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2008 9:20:49 PM EDT
I consider my self very patrotic, but have come to realize that very little of what i use day to day is made in America.
my Car is (west) German (it is old)
my watch is Japanise
two of my three EDC knives are Swiss
my sunglasses, shoes and wallet are all made in red China
the only things I carry or use daily that is made in America is my Spyderco and dogtags.
How do you stack up?
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 9:23:59 PM EDT
[#1]
My car is American, my ATV is American, most of my rifles are American, most of my handguns aren't.

I mostly buy American.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 9:26:50 PM EDT
[#2]
My goal is 80% of my purchases = American made.  It's very hard to do.  I blame the politicians and the sheep who elect them.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#3]
ALL of my guns are American

My car is Australian, but made by GM

My wife's truck is American

Most of my electronics are Japanese (at least they're not fucking communist)

My furniture is mostly American, though my dining room table and chairs were made in Vietnam

My sunglasses are American

I try to buy American to the greatest extent possible, though it is difficult.

ETA:  My Coca-Cola is MEXICAN!
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 9:31:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I only buy Kershaw knives that are made in America.(seriously, this is all I buy and carry now)
I try to buy American any time I can.
I drive a Honda, but prefer 73-87 Chevy trucks

All but four of my micrometers are American made(and I have.....a few ). At $90-$170 a pop versus $70-$140 each, it's not a small difference.

Starrett 0-6" micrometer set = $1200 roughly
Mitutoyo 0-6" micrometer set = $800 roughly

I have almost two full sets of Starrett mics, so it isn't an insignificant difference. Add that in the with the other American made vs foreign made tools I have....and it hurts the pocketbook a lot.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 9:31:43 PM EDT
[#5]
My cars,one of my motorcycles, my tools,lots of my clothes and shoes,and whatever else I  can't think of now. Made in USA is important to me.

My wife,however,was not made in the USA
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 9:32:18 PM EDT
[#6]
What is left that is 100% made in America, cept' illegals babies?
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 9:33:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I put an effort into buying American, but do not let it control all my purchases.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 9:35:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I buy best for the money.  If that's not American, nothing is.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I do my best to purchase goods made in america.

If I have a choice, I will usually spend the extra $$ and get something American made.

It adds up let me tell you.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I still have my ProScan - last company that made TVs in the US.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I do my best to purchase goods made in America from a globally owned and operated company with components made in countries around the world using a variety of different labor pools.

In other words, no.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 9:40:05 PM EDT
[#12]
does it count if my Honda was made in America?
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I still have my ProScan - last company that made TVs in the US.  

Olevia HDTVs

The factory for 37" and larger Olevia TVs, is located in Ontario, California.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

yes as it has MORE america made and assembled componets then most of the big 3's cars.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes as it has MORE america made and assembled componets then most of the big 3's cars.

Read the certificate of origin.  In some cases that's true but in most it's just guys who try to justify their purchase of a japanese brand and dont actually know what they're talking about.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 9:46:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Most of my pistols and rifles are american.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 9:47:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I buy the best product for the best price. A free market and meritocracy are the pillars of capitalism. People here often bitch about Walmart and scowl about communism in the same breath, I find that hypocritical. Those who think they are doing the country a favor by subsidizing shoddy products need to take an economics lesson.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 9:48:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Let's see...

Two cars are German, one is Japanese...
One watch is Japanese, a couple are Swiss...
I do have a few American rifles, but also have some Swiss, Italian, Russian, British, Aussie and Yugoslavian rifles.  

Link Posted: 5/18/2008 9:49:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I buy quality, not nationality.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 9:50:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Honestly I do a lot of research before I buy a product. I tend to look for quality and then value. I'd rather buy American made, then American owned, and then at least not made by people who piss me off.

90% of my music gear is American made, my car is Japan owned but American made. All of my guns are American but I'm going to change that soon.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 9:53:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I try to do my part, but with the influx of cheap goods made in China, is getting harder to find products made in the US. WHat happened to "MADE WITH PRIDE IN THE USA"?
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Most of my fishing rods are made in WI.  One of my guitars is made in USA.  Backpack (kifaru), most of my guns, and some misc gear is all USA made.

If I have a choice that's convenient, I will buy US made items.  If it's a big purchase, it's usually US made.  I'm pretty sure my boat (Lund) was made in the Midwest.

A lot of my musky fishing gear is made in WI, MN, or surrounding states.  I definately support the US made lure companies as they're generally a super small operation vs. the Chinese crap.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 10:05:18 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Read the certificate of origin.  In some cases that's true but in most it's just guys who try to justify their purchase of a japanese brand and dont actually know what they're talking about.

This is true to a limited extent, but can get confusing.  Take the powertrain on the 04-07 V6 Saturn VUEs.  The powertrains came from the Honda plant in Ohio yet the certificate of origin said 'Japan'.

According to my sources, the definition of the 'origin' of an automobile assembly is defined as where a certain step in the manufacturing operation takes place, which varies by part.  In the case of the Honda powertrain used by Saturn it was the primary machining of the block, which was done in Japan.  The blocks were then sent to Ohio where everything was assembled onto them.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 10:11:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Generally don't care where it is made so long as it is what I expect.  I try to avoid union produced products as much as possible.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 10:18:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I try to do my part, but with the influx of cheap goods made in China, is getting harder to find products made in the US. WHat happened to "MADE WITH PRIDE IN THE USA"?

People have no pride in American goods because they want their item now which just happens to be cheap chinese crap, instead of being able to save up for the american.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 10:41:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Hell, I could damn near buy 100% Arkansan if I wanted. Even pistols and ARs  But I don't. I look for the best deal on the market with a certain minimum quality level.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 10:53:51 PM EDT
[#27]
When American is the best, I buy it with pride.

I heartily advocate Alden shoes, made in New England, and Bills Khakis, the finest and toughest pants you'll ever own.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 11:02:07 PM EDT
[#28]
I buy what I think is the best product if its American great if not o well.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 11:09:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Most of my stuff is American and I love it:

Link Posted: 5/18/2008 11:10:17 PM EDT
[#30]
You mean American made stuff is still available to buy?  Is this a trick question or something?  
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 11:13:28 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
ALL of my guns are American

My car is Australian, but made by GM

My wife's truck is American

Most of my electronics are Japanese (at least they're not fucking communist)

My furniture is mostly American, though my dining room table and chairs were made in Vietnam

My sunglasses are American

I try to buy American to the greatest extent possible, though it is difficult.

ETA:  My Coca-Cola is MEXICAN!

Pontiac GTO?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top