Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/9/2008 11:41:54 PM EDT
Looking to buy a Wilderness Instructor belt for pistol carry (IDPA, training classes, etc, at-home carry, more than CCW--CA resident).
This one

Can't decide between the 5-stitch and the CSM ("Combat Shooter's Model") with polyethylene re-enforcement built in.
Carrying a fullsize 1911 in Blade-Tech OWB on it, 2 mags on the opposite side from the pistol. If that matters.

Anybody have experience with either, or both? or a recommendation between one version or the other?

Ideally, this would also be an everyday, non-carry belt, not just a gunbelt.

Post away, please!
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 11:53:04 PM EDT
[#1]
i like my 5 stitch.  thanx for reminding me i need to get another one.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 12:52:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Bump for the earlybirds on the East Coast....
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 1:05:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I love my 5-stitch. It holds up my pants and works quite well as a gunbelt as well. It's not ideal as a dress belt, but I don't often have need for a dress belt...

Plus, in a pinch it could be used as a pretty effective flail-you could do serious damage to someone with the buckle...
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 1:17:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Best belts ever.  I have an OD 5 stitch that I've had for about 6 years and works great.  Recently bought the 1.5 inch model with the titainium buckle and it has the poly stiffener in it.  Love that one too.

I would say that you can't go wrong with either, and one does not hold significant advantage over the other.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 1:24:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I like the CSM better than the 5-stitch, especially with something like a drop-leg holster that really pulls down on the belt. For IWB carry it doesn't matter as much, but the CSM is only $10 more so if I were you I would just get the CSM now, instead of upgrading later.

The only thing that I don't like about the Wilderness belts is that the velcro piece on the running end is pretty small. I managed to wear one out, it took me a couple years, but if the velcro piece was larger it probably wouldn't have happened. Most "riggers" belts have velcro that is the whole width of the belt, I don't know why the Wilderness belts aren't like this.

Other than that, they're fantastic.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 1:30:00 AM EDT
[#6]
The only con that I can think of is that they are not very fitting in a suit/tie environment. Since I am never in such a mode of dress, it doesn't matter to me. I have had mine (reg. 5 stitch)  for a couple years and have had no issues with it. Does just what is is suppose to. Holds up really well to every day use (as in carrying a pistol, IWB, 12-18 hours a day, 7 days a week).
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 3:38:21 AM EDT
[#7]
The only thing I hate about my CSM is I've gotten older & fatter & need to replace it. Order it a couple sizes larger.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 3:48:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I love my 5-stitch.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 4:05:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Pros:

- Rock solid build quality
- Holds the gun in tight
- Highly adjustable (for different weapons, Thanksgiving, etc.)

Cons:

- My wife thinks it's the ugliest belt I own.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 4:14:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Cons:

- My wife thinks it's the ugliest belt I own.

I think that's a check box on the man-card application.

And for the OP: I hate the belts so much I own two. 1.5" and 1.75". Both the CSM variant. Considered the Ti option but as someone mentioned the standard one would
make one hell of a flail.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 4:20:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I just got the CSM 1.5" to take to a pistol/carbine class.  I was worried about being able to hang everything off of it that I need to run, but it has worked well while practicing for the class.  It seems like it will be able to handle a drop-leg M4 pouch (4 magazines), a pancake 1911 holster, dump pouch, and double pistol magazine pouch, which is a lot of crap.  I'll report back next week after the class, but I think the Wilderness belts handle simple CCW stuff easily.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 4:31:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I really like my 5-stitch.

The only con is that it makes noise when you take it off and put it on.  Not a big deal unless you're trying to be quiet.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 4:40:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a black 5-stitch.  I dig the belt so much I bought an identical second one in case the original ever were to fail me.  Big mistake because these are built tough.  It has now been nearly 5 years and the thing is still going strong.  As a poster above me mentioned the only potential down side is the clankity-clank noise the buckle makes when putting it on.  It's pretty noisy but it doesn't bother me.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 4:42:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have a black 5-stitch.  I dig the belt so much I bought an identical second one in case the original ever were to fail me.  Big mistake because these are built tough.  It has now been nearly 5 years and the thing is still going strong.  As a poster above me mentioned the only potential down side is the clankity-clank noise the buckle makes when putting it on.  It's pretty noisy but it doesn't bother me.

That part in red: It is like buying a second anvil, just in case you might break the first one.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 4:43:00 AM EDT
[#15]
The polymer insert digs into your side like a mofo while sitting down, I'd stick with the 5-stitch if you intend to wear it daily.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 4:48:46 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That part in red: It is like buying a second anvil, just in case you might break the first one.

No kidding...live and learn.  I didn't realize how tough that belt was.  The good thing is that I can sell the second one anytime I get around to it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 4:52:10 AM EDT
[#17]
I love mine.  My g/f actually likes it, as it's more "interesting" to unbuckle than a regular leather belt.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 4:52:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I love my 5-stitch. It holds up my pants and works quite well as a gunbelt as well. It's not ideal as a dress belt, but I don't often have need for a dress belt...

Plus, in a pinch it could be used as a pretty effective flail-you could do serious damage to someone with the buckle...

This.

Huge +1.

Link Posted: 7/10/2008 4:58:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Buy one...

Best belt ever.....
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 4:58:24 AM EDT
[#20]
I've got 2 5 stitches, a 1.5 black and 1.75 o.d.   Downside is my Kramer holster won't fit on the 1.75 so measure the slots on the holster you plan on using.  Also agree that th evelcro should be bigger and it would be nice if they made the velcro the same color as he belt instead of black, but to be honest, they are a really great belt and I plan on buying another 1.5 inch in tan.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 6:00:03 AM EDT
[#21]
So pretty much the consensus is save the extra $5 for the re-enforced model, and just go with 5-stitch, 'cause it doesn't really matter?
Or, because it doesn't matter, just get the polymer and not have to wonder if stiffer would be better? (except possibly being uncomfortable--I'm about 6' tall and 145 lbs, though, I don't have a lot of side for anything to dig into)

Oh, and bump to celebrate indecisiveness
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 6:09:06 AM EDT
[#22]
I have the CSM, very stiff. Not as stiff as my CR Speed belt though, but thats a diffrent story. I use it regularly. My ex girlfriend always made fun of me everytime she heard that velcro, but she can suck it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 7:54:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Here's one slightly dissenting opinion: DON'T get the CSM as it's TOO stiff. The 5-stitch is great, though. Mrs. aa has one and once in a while I steal it from her when I don't want to wear my Mitch Rosen (old school) stuff.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 10:31:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Here's one slightly dissenting opinion: DON'T get the CSM as it's TOO stiff. The 5-stitch is great, though. Mrs. aa has one and once in a while I steal it from her when I don't want to wear my Mitch Rosen (old school) stuff.

Looks like the 5-stitch is the one for me, then!

Thanks, everyone.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 10:46:32 AM EDT
[#25]
The only con: Women can seem to figure out how to get them off of me.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#26]
great belts
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 10:51:41 AM EDT
[#27]
I really like mine. Used it for two years, worn daily.

Carries a holster well, pulls nice and tight. Carried a 41 ounce 1911 plus five extra magazines with no real problems. (not as rigid as an inner/outer IPSC style belt, but still pretty good).

I believe I have the five stitch model.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 10:58:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Looks very interesting.
I think I might invest in one.
Do they ship to UK?

Cheers
Taffy

ETA

Bollocks they wont ship to UK
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 11:15:00 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Looks very interesting.
Do they ship to UK?

Cheers
Taffy

I don't know if they do.  However, the Wilderness belt is carried by a variety of stores.  For example, when I bought mine I got it from Gunner's Alley and it looks like they do ship to your neck of the woods.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 11:19:14 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I prefer the CSM. I have a tan 5 stitch and it seems flimsy in comparison.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 11:26:17 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Looks very interesting.
Do they ship to UK?

Cheers
Taffy

I don't know if they do.  However, the Wilderness belt is carried by a variety of stores.  For example, when I bought mine I got it from Gunner's Alley and it looks like they do ship to your neck of the woods.  

Thanks I'll check that out now
Cheers
Taffy

ETA looks like you are right. I'm going to put an order in for me any my brother.

Link Posted: 7/10/2008 11:33:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Just get the CSM.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Just get the CSM.  

reasons?
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't know, but if you get one make sure to post on whether its worth the purchase.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 12:00:46 PM EDT
[#35]
It's stiffer and will hold your gun better.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 12:05:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Got a 1.5" 5-stitch I use for carry around the house. It is very sturdy and holds the holster and dual mag pouch close to the body. You don't even notice carrying a G17/G19 around all day.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#37]
I bought a 5-stitch originally just to use as a carry belt, but liked it so much it ended up becoming my every day belt.  Only downside I've found is that it sets off the metal detectors at work.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 12:09:54 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I bought a 5-stitch originally just to use as a carry belt, but liked it so much it ended up becoming my every day belt.  Only downside I've found is that it sets off the metal detectors at work.

They sell their Frequent Flyer belt to alleviate just that issue. It has Delrin instead of steel for the buckle rings.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 12:10:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Cons?
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They sell their Frequent Flyer belt to alleviate just that issue. It has Delrin instead of steel for the buckle rings.

You payin' for it?

Link Posted: 7/10/2008 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You payin' for it?

I already have one.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 12:25:39 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

The one for my bro will be pistol carrying for his work but mine will be used as I sometimes use cherry pickers within an engineering environment. If I get on with it I'd like one for everyday use (wearing jeans).

So I'd not need the reinforced one like my bro...?

Cheers
Taffy
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I wear mine everyday too. Whether it sets off metal detectors just depends on how sensitive they are set. I went through the one at our courthouse and didn't set it off.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 12:38:14 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I don't know, but if you get one make sure to post on whether its worth the purchase.

If that's @me, well, I just (okay, 2 hours ago) ordered a 1.5" 5-stitch. I'll have an update when it arrives and I try it out.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 12:51:13 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
The only con: Women can seem to figure out how to get them off of me.

I tried that on my girlfriend.  She looked at it and said "Oh, it's one of those", and proceeded to unbuckle it in one second flat!  
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 5:17:35 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The one for my bro will be pistol carrying for his work but mine will be used as I sometimes use cherry pickers within an engineering environment. If I get on with it I'd like one for everyday use (wearing jeans).

So I'd not need the reinforced one like my bro...?

Cheers
Taffy

You'll be fine with the 5-stitch, comfortable enough for everyday and for holsters.  They really are serious about the sizing instructions.

The titanium buckle it much better than the "frequent flyer", if for nothing else than the confused looks (more than usual, I mean) from the TSA.

I stopped by their store in Phoenix once, it's pretty small but does have lots of belts and a few other odds and ends.  It so happed the size/color/buckle that I wanted was out of stock.  They made me one right there on the spot, only took 10 minutes

I'm a big fan,  is it obvious?
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 6:47:31 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I have 2 5 stitches - one with the regular buckle and the Frequent Flyer model (will not set of a metal detector) - I originally got the FF model but I quickly got tired of swapping it between pants, so I got the second..

Both have become my daily wear belts.. I like the Instructor model for normal wear (jeans/khakis/business casual), just because i think it looks a tad better than the dual ring FF model..

I would love to have the titanium buckle for the weight savings - but I cant see spending that much for it..

buy one - you wont regret it..
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 11:25:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Everything I've bought from The Wilderness is good stuff. I have two Safe Packer Holsters that are nearly 20 years old and still going strong. They're a little worn looking, you can tell they're not new, but there are no loose stitches, frayed edges, broken buckles etc. Nothing is wrong with them.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 11:34:33 AM EDT
[#50]
I've been meaning to get one of these for a while.  I wear a good thick leather belt all the time, but I can't imagine it's as good as these.  $40 ain't too bad

eta: out of curiosity i measured my usual belt, it's 1.25" and an 1/8" thick.  It does fine with my usual jclip ctac and g27, but carrying my larger pistols it doesn't do nearly as well...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top