BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 98
Posted: 2/18/2009 10:07:43 PM EDT
Changes beng made to the OP .... bear with me
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 5:37:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Good to see a new thread. Lets keep this going guys. This is a really good cause.
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 6:01:39 AM EDT
[#2]
taggin like a redheaded prom date
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Gotta get in on this one and keep the streak going!

Doh, of course I'd spot this seconds after asking about it in an email ... please disregard ... the tax insanity coming from Sacramento and Washington must be affecting me. :)
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 12:17:08 PM EDT
[#4]
In.
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Rubicon04 reporting in sir!
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 2:36:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Present!
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Gotta get in on this one and keep the streak going!

Doh, of course I'd spot this seconds after asking about it in an email ... please disregard ... the tax insanity coming from Sacramento and Washington must be affecting me. :)

Hell, I got a great link from your said e-mail.

Oh, and "Permission to board"

Link Posted: 2/19/2009 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Why did it get the lock?
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 6:09:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why did it get the lock?

Some kind of server glitch and apparently they still haven't figured out what is wrong - just tried Page 51 again and no joy.  So we stay here.  At least Pages 1-50 are still there for historical purposes.  

Link Posted: 2/19/2009 6:10:49 PM EDT
[#10]
well I'll tag this since I lost track on the older thread some time ago.
Any new summary or info I may have missed lately?
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#11]
So I post my way of saying "I'm In"...

Start watching Hells Kitchen.....

During commercial break, check my tags.............

Damn Mac....you've already got page one back to it's original look.

Are you sure you only have dial-up.....

Never trust a Spook...

Link Posted: 2/19/2009 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
well I'll tag this since I lost track on the older thread some time ago.
Any new summary or info I may have missed lately?

Nothing much has really changed - we are still trying to keep the effort alive, especially since we're now supporting a few more of our guys than before.  

And ... for info purposes to all:  

Nick has been approached by Special Forces and asked to submit a package (he's already passed Phase 1),  if he passes Phase 2 and is subsequently accepted - before May - the school he was scheduled for at Ft Gordon is out the window and instead he'll report to Ft Bragg.  If the package is still making it's way through the system late April/early May, then he'll still head for the school as scheduled .  If the package is approved after that - SF will have him pulled from the school (they have priority) and he'll start about two-years of specialized training.  Bottom line, nothing is sure at this point ... which may very well throw a kink into his personal invite to tour the Barrett factory and meet Ronnie Barrett himself ... plus Operation BC.
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Never trust a Spook...

Never underestimate the warp-speed capability of 'copy & paste' .... *snorts*

Link Posted: 2/19/2009 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Tag. I have some stuff to send off from a cub scout support drive.
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 7:03:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Never trust a Spook...

I'll take that as a compliment ... even though I was only such for just over 5-years ... then it was on to my true calling as an MA ...

ETA to ALL:  UPDATED info on 'the shot" from a long, long, long conversation Nick and I had a couple days ago.   There's a whole lot more to the story than what we were aware of ...

Updated Background on the shot.

There were four bad guys operating in the area who had been attacking local workers trying to intimidate them and keep them from helping with the reconstruction projects in the area. The day before (Jan 1) these same bad guys captured and beheaded four workers - thus the decision was made to hunt them down.

The mission was assigned to the snipers of Recce. The guys left the FOB at night and made their way to the area where the bad guys were suspected to be and established hides.   Later in the day the four bad guys were finally spotted - however, given the range, the only snipers with the capability of "reaching' them was the Barrett team - Nick w/Simpson spotting.

Once the team went 'on target' and 'had them' ... the Platoon's SFC gave the order to take the shot.   Nick put a .50 cal round through his back that, to quote Nick "it literally threw his body down the mountain" ... the rest scattered.  The team immediately switched over trying to target the second bad guy but he had taken cover behind a huge rock - so, as we knew, the team called in an Apache gunship operating as their air support.

The pilot radioed that he could not see/identify the target - so Nick started shooting the rock that the bad guy was hiding behind.  The Apache pilot then broadcast - quote:  "I can see your sniper's fire" and was given clearance to launch a Hellfire.

Target #2 disappeared in the subsequent explosion.

Target #3 was subsequently identified and taken out by the Apache's 20mm a few minutes later.

Target #4, as he was trying to run and escape - was taken out by Nick ... with another 2000-meter + shot ... at a moving target.

Rough Dope on the initial/record 2100-meter shot (a Cold Shot!!!): at 4000' above sea level; considering Afghan mountain temps in January; winds, air density; temperature, etc., etc., etc.)  12-feet elevation ... 17-feet right windage

Wondering if Ronnie Barrett ever envisioned his Barrett being used as a targeting designator for air support... ??  

Shooting a rock?! Never underestimate the ingenuity and quick thinking of our American soldiers !!
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Let me know what you have and I might be able to recommend who could use it the most.  And THANKS !!!! MUCH APPRECIATED !!

Link Posted: 2/19/2009 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never trust a Spook...

So let me get this right. The Navy still uses carbon paper and Elmers glue

Kewl....so do I. And in triplicate no less.

Link Posted: 2/19/2009 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never trust a Spook...

Not to mention an good ole IBM Selectric II typewriter with that fancy-dancy rotating ball that you can change out to get the font of choice !!   Damn, technology RULES !!  Whoo Hoo !!

We might have just absolutely and totally confused some of our younger members .... Hey - I still have an Atari WITH pong stored out in the my garage  !!!

Link Posted: 2/19/2009 7:24:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never trust a Spook...

I'll take that as a compliment ... even though I was only such for just over 5-years ... then it was on to my true calling as an MA ...

ETA to ALL:  UPDATED info on 'the shot" from a long, long, long conversation Nick and I had a couple days ago.   There's a whole lot more to the story than what we were aware of ...

Updated Background on the shot.

There were four bad guys operating in the area who had been attacking local workers trying to intimidate them and keep them from helping with the reconstruction projects in the area. The day before (Jan 1) these same bad guys captured and beheaded four workers - thus the decision was made to hunt them down.

The mission was assigned to the snipers of Recce. The guys left the FOB at night and made their way to the area where the bad guys were suspected to be and established hides.   Later in the day the four bad guys were finally spotted - however, given the range, the only snipers with the capability of "reaching' them was the Barrett team - Nick w/Simpson spotting.

Once the team went 'on target' and 'had them' ... the Platoon's SFC gave the order to take the shot.   Nick put a .50 cal round through his back that, to quote Nick "it literally threw his body down the mountain" ... the rest scattered.  The team immediately switched over trying to target the second bad guy but he had taken cover behind a huge rock - so, as we knew, the team called in an Apache gunship operating as their air support.

The pilot radioed that he could not see/identify the target - so Nick started shooting the rock that the bad guy was hiding behind.  The Apache pilot then broadcast - quote:  "I can see your sniper's fire" and was given clearance to launch a Hellfire.

Target #2 disappeared in the subsequent explosion.

Target #3 was subsequently identified and taken out by the Apache's 20mm a few minutes later.

Target #4, as he was trying to run and escape - was taken out by Nick ... with another 2000-meter + shot ... at a moving target.

Rough Dope on the initial/record 2100-meter shot (a Cold Shot!!!): at 4000' above sea level; considering Afghan mountain temps in January; winds, air density; temperature, etc., etc., etc.)  12-feet elevation ... 17-feet right windage

Wondering if Ronnie Barrett ever envisioned his Barrett being used as a targeting designator for air support... ??  

Shooting a rock?! Never underestimate the ingenuity and quick thinking of our American soldiers !!

As Paul Harvey would say...."The rest of the story"...

I just say awesome.
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#21]
In.
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

IM inbound to answer yours ...
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 7:39:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
In.

*KEWL* !!!  Another zombie freak !!!  Where on earth did you find that avatar ??!!  Hasn't really started to blacken, so the victim may have another hour, maybe less, before turning.  More than enough time to take out a bunch more before saving the last round for themself.  

Link Posted: 2/19/2009 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never trust a Spook...

Not to mention an good ole IBM Selectric II typewriter with that fancy-dancy rotating ball that you can change out to get the font of choice !!   Damn, technology RULES !!  Whoo Hoo !!

We might have just absolutely and totally confused some of our younger members .... Hey - I still have an Atari WITH pong stored out in the my garage  !!!

To all you babies born after 1980....that's no typo...IT IS PONG...not BONG.
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 10:08:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 10:36:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Eight boxes going out tomorrow:

Six Going to Our Units (items per box unless otherwise notated)
* Huge bag of 18" jerky (I've used this stuff and it's GREAT !!  Plus, think about how long one can chew on a piece of 18" piece of jerky ... lets just say ... pretty much all day!!   *laughing*
* Bags of Dried Fruit/Nuts/Chocolate type Trail Mix
* Microwave popcorn (a bunch)
* Bags of 50 mini-candy bars (they can eat or pass them out to the local kids) *s*
* Local newspapers (as per Nick - ANY reading material was most appreciated)
* Keep It Local auto/car/truck sale mags (thought the guys might enjoy 'shopping')
* The above plus 10 Copenhagen (specific request from the 1-111th Recon)
* The above plus 10 Skoal (specific request from the 1-111th Recon)

Special request from a Navy Chaplain via email - someone passed our Thread onto him and he's asked - and we'll deliver.  I'm not taking a chance on any thunder and lightening - this winter has been enough.  *laughing*
* Vacuumed packed coffee (2-pounds)
* Box of Coffee Stirrers
* Box of powdered Coffee Creamer packets
* Box of Sugar Cubes
* Box of Splenda Coffee Sweetner packets (shipping separate - box is already factory sealed - just re-addressing and sending it on - so that makes 8 boxes)
* 200 Coffee Filters
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 10:43:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Hopefully Nick gets a chance at a 2430m+ shot soon
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 5:43:23 AM EDT
[#28]
checking in from Ft Hood!
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 6:18:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Here's the score from the Cub Scout drive:

3 of those boxes are going to the Army Cav scouts in Iraq, Some to a Dad of one of the kids at the school, and some to a couple of other Soldiers from Michigan. Not as big a turn out as the last one we did a couple of years ago, but not bad at all. This will be the first time for us not using flat rate boxes. We got ahold of a contact with the AMVETS who gets these put directly into the Military mail system on the local base for us. If this works the way it should it will be a big help in the future. We can pack a lot of stuff in these boxes!
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 3:40:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Here's the score from the Cub Scout drive:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c379/ozzy033/100_3515.jpg

3 of those boxes are going to the Army Cav scouts in Iraq, Some to a Dad of one of the kids at the school, and some to a couple of other Soldiers from Michigan. Not as big a turn out as the last one we did a couple of years ago, but not bad at all. This will be the first time for us not using flat rate boxes. We got ahold of a contact with the AMVETS who gets these put directly into the Military mail system on the local base for us. If this works the way it should it will be a big help in the future. We can pack a lot of stuff in these boxes!

You really need to update your sigline. Something like "Proud Member of Ranstad's Militia...The Fantastic Bastards"

And I Mean Now Mister............

Link Posted: 2/21/2009 2:51:52 PM EDT
[#32]

It is suggested that you do so - otherwise he will rag and rag on you - well until the zombie apocalypse - initially you might get a small break - he, like the rest of us, will be just a wee bit busy putting our AR's to use - BUT knowing USMC_Dad, he'd still take a break from 'hunting' and get on your ass again ....
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 3:00:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Checking in.
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 6:43:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Checking in.

Wonderful.

Now grab that ARanch Rifle (5.56x45 I assume) and get to poppin' some Zeds heads. Greatly appreciated by the way.

Link Posted: 2/22/2009 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#35]
"Out of My Way"...........by Seether.

My Zombie Anthem.

Link Posted: 2/22/2009 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You really need to update your sigline. Something like "Proud Member of Ranstad's Militia...The Fantastic Bastards"

And I Mean Now Mister............

Done.
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 8:20:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:To all you babies born after 1980....that's no typo...IT IS PONG...not BONG.

Lol!  I've still got an Atari with the original Pong and I was born well into the late 80's.    Oh, and I've never touched the stuff.  

Link Posted: 2/23/2009 3:30:31 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm tagging. I still need to do something and  I will, don't worry.
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 3:46:06 PM EDT
[#39]
in.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Be seated....

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country. Men, all this stuff you’ve heard about America not wanting to fight, wanting to stay out of the war, is a lot of horse dung. Americans traditionally love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle. When you were kids, you all admired the champion marble shooter, the fastest runner, the big league ball player, the toughest boxer. Americans love a winner and will not tolerate a loser. Americans play to win all the time. I wouldn’t give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That’s why Americans have never lost and will never lose a war. Because the very thought of losing is hateful to Americans.

Now, an Army is a team. It lives, eats, sleeps, fights as a team. This individuality stuff is a bunch of crap. The bilious bastards who wrote that stuff about individuality for the Saturday Evening Post don’t know anything more about real battle than they do about fornicating.

We have the finest food and equipment, the best spirit and the best men in the world. You know, by God I actually pity those poor bastards we’re going up against. By God, I do. We’re not just going to shoot the bastards, we’re going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We’re going to murder those lousy Hun bastards by the bushel.

Now, some of you boys, I know, are wondering whether or not you'll chicken out under fire. Don't worry about it. I can assure you that you will all do your duty. The Nazis are the enemy. Wade into them. Spill their blood. Shoot them in the belly. When you put your hand into a bunch of goo that a moment before was your best friend's face, you'll know what to do.

Now there’s another thing I want you to remember. I don’t want to get any messages saying that we are holding our position. We’re not holding anything. Let the Hun do that. We are advancing constantly and we’re not interested in holding onto anything except the enemy. We're going to hold onto him by the nose and we're going to kick him in the ass. We're going to kick the hell out of him all the time and we're gonna go through him like crap through a goose.

There’s one thing that you men will be able to say when you get back home. And you may thank God for it. Thirty years from now when you’re sitting around your fireside with your grandson on your knee and he asks you what did you do in the great World War II, you won’t have to say, "Well, I shoveled shit in Louisiana."

Alright now, you sons-of-bitches, you know how I feel. Oh, and I will be
proud to lead you wonderful guys into battle – anytime, anywhere.

That’s all.

Guess what was on AMC last night
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 5:13:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Don't tell me......George C Scott.

I mean Patton
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 6:16:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Hell, I got a great link from your said e-mail.

Man, I can never bring myself to leave Kelly on those basement stairs.

Quoted:
If the package is approved after that - SF will have him pulled from the school (they have priority) and he'll start about two-years of specialized training.

Best of luck! If / when they send him to DLI, let me know. If we're still around here I'd like to say hi and grab a bite. I can also point him towards a good skydiving place.

Quoted:

Those Selectric II's are . The last time I used one was to type up some report for school. It was on wolverines. Oh, yeah.
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Be seated....

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country. Men, all this stuff you’ve heard about America not wanting to fight, wanting to stay out of the war, is a lot of horse dung. Americans traditionally love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle. When you were kids, you all admired the champion marble shooter, the fastest runner, the big league ball player, the toughest boxer. Americans love a winner and will not tolerate a loser. Americans play to win all the time. I wouldn’t give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That’s why Americans have never lost and will never lose a war. Because the very thought of losing is hateful to Americans.

Now, an Army is a team. It lives, eats, sleeps, fights as a team. This individuality stuff is a bunch of crap. The bilious bastards who wrote that stuff about individuality for the Saturday Evening Post don’t know anything more about real battle than they do about fornicating.

We have the finest food and equipment, the best spirit and the best men in the world. You know, by God I actually pity those poor bastards we’re going up against. By God, I do. We’re not just going to shoot the bastards, we’re going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We’re going to murder those lousy Hun bastards by the bushel.

Now, some of you boys, I know, are wondering whether or not you'll chicken out under fire. Don't worry about it. I can assure you that you will all do your duty. The Nazis are the enemy. Wade into them. Spill their blood. Shoot them in the belly. When you put your hand into a bunch of goo that a moment before was your best friend's face, you'll know what to do.

Now there’s another thing I want you to remember. I don’t want to get any messages saying that we are holding our position. We’re not holding anything. Let the Hun do that. We are advancing constantly and we’re not interested in holding onto anything except the enemy. We're going to hold onto him by the nose and we're going to kick him in the ass. We're going to kick the hell out of him all the time and we're gonna go through him like crap through a goose.

There’s one thing that you men will be able to say when you get back home. And you may thank God for it. Thirty years from now when you’re sitting around your fireside with your grandson on your knee and he asks you what did you do in the great World War II, you won’t have to say, "Well, I shoveled shit in Louisiana."

Alright now, you sons-of-bitches, you know how I feel. Oh, and I will be
proud to lead you wonderful guys into battle – anytime, anywhere.

That’s all.

Guess what was on AMC last night

Tivo'd it.  Already have it on DVD but with the Tivo I don't have to get up, find the disc, turn on the player, put the disc in and then wearily make my way back to the recliner.  With the Tivo - it's just a matter of remaining in the semi-prone recliner position - straining to move the finger on the remote - pushing a button and it's on.  And as posted back on Thread #1 ... Nick can recite that entire speech, word for word ... usually happens after a few Jack and Cokes.  *snorts*

Link Posted: 2/23/2009 6:27:01 PM EDT
[#44]
UPDATE:

Nick goes in front of the Sergeant's Board on Monday - March 2nd.  Keep your fingers crossed!

Link Posted: 2/23/2009 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
UPDATE:

Nick goes in front of the Sergeant's Board on Monday - March 2nd.  Keep your fingers crossed!

AWESOME!!!    he'll do just fine.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
UPDATE:

Nick, Godspeed to you lad.

I realize that Doggie pay ain't much. However. If you could see fit to help your old man out....Get him high speed internet. Afterall, Chief is a "High Speed" kind of dude

Link Posted: 2/24/2009 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
UPDATE:

What exactly goes on there? Do they just review his actions and see if he'd be a good sergeant? What does he have to do?

Yeah, I'm an ignorant civilian.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 9:43:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
UPDATE:

What exactly goes on there? Do they just review his actions and see if he'd be a good sergeant? What does he have to do?

Yeah, I'm an ignorant civilian.

The promotion board consists of the Battalion First Sergeants and Sergeant Major.  He shows up in his Class A uniform and get grilled by the senior NCO's on various Soldier skill topics like first aid, map reading, leadership, Army programs, current affairs, etc.

Also, we've reached cut off for the 1-22 guys.  I actually think we are a couple of days past it as I got word today that the first of them head south in a week.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 3:37:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Also, we've reached cut off for the 1-22 guys.  I actually think we are a couple of days past it as I got word today that the first of them head south in a week.

Well crap - boxes went out recently ... Oh well, they'll probably come back then - if so, I'll re-direct to the others.  THANKS for the update - will get page 1 updated to reflect that they're home/coming home - SAFE and that's all that matters !!!!
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 5:12:34 AM EDT
[#50]
HATE this new format that the site has elected to use!!  Took me nearly 30-minutes just to remove the 1-22nd since they're now home, or coming home - AND then trying to add Militia Member shootingcpl's son and his address - he just deployed to the sandpit (we're still waiting on a picture of him/his unit) - well it was more than just frustrating.  Dialup ISP didn't help - had to re-connect three friggin times - guess it was just my night..  

I REALLY liked what they had before where you could actually see the layout and then edit from that perspective.  This 'span this and span that' ... is ... well ... I'll just keep my mouth shut. ARFCOM Staff has been great to us in ALL respects ... just wish they would have stayed with what worked best.  

Anyway - we've a new unit !! - especially since Mom & Dad have been Militia members since day one!!  CPL Scott and his fellow MP's will receiving boxes fer sure when I send them out!   Being a retired Master-at-Arms (Navy equivalent to Army MP) ... may play just a wee bit into wanting to make sure in that regard.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 98
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top