Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/9/2009 10:04:49 AM EDT
Whenever I get a new semi-auto I always - in addition to eye and ear protection - wear a baseball cap pulled waaaay down over my forehead. I've been caught by too many cases in the forehead to forget it.

Well, apparently it's been too long since I gotten pegged because I got to the range and as I was putting my eyes and ears on I realized, "shit, I forgot my hat."

Obviously there was no way I was cancelling my new gun's maiden voyage on account of a forgotten hat!    But, as it turns out, there was a price to be paid! Hell, I've been hit many times in the forehead by flying brass from new guns, but this one was a doozy! When it hit I knew it would draw blood but I still had 50 rounds to put through her before I was done so I finished up. The blood had rolled down my face and into my beard...

Anyway, ya gotta love new semi-autos that need a little tuning!  

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Hm, i've never had that problem.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like grape jam.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:08:17 AM EDT
[#3]
What happened to the rest of your face?
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:08:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Ouch.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:09:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Stop limpwristing it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:09:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I get that  once in  awhile but they just bounce off no blood involved
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:10:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Smack dab in the center !
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:10:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Fuck, you could be on your last round, miss, and have the case hit the BG!
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#9]
BOOM - Headshot!
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Do you shoot gangsta style?
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Chix will dig that.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#12]
ROFL....that made my day!
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:11:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Looks like a belt buckle wound.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:13:00 AM EDT
[#14]
So, now you can say you survived a .45 golden saber to the forehead.

Good thing it wasn't a 9mm.

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:14:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, I've done the hot brass dance a few times, but I've never drawn blood like that.

I am not sure if that's a good omen or not...

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:15:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Stop limpwristing it.

This!

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:15:45 AM EDT
[#17]
my Glocks don't do that  
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#18]
I've never had a Glock do that...

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#19]
DAYUM!
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Never had a handgun do that. My M1 carbine does it constantly though....
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:17:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
my Glocks don't do that  

Lol no, your glock showers the guy in the spot next to you.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Wow, I want to know what they're using for an exractor.  I think the Colt engineers have stumbled onto something here....
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#23]
I think you're doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:18:18 AM EDT
[#24]
so,,

truth told

what you do to piss her off?
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:18:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Weird, a buddy did the something similar (not nearly as damaging) using my kimber .45 for the first time. I have shot 600 rounds with it and never once got hit with a round.

Maybe it has something to do with shooting style.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:18:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Stop limpwristing it.

This!

Yeah, I knew someone would chime in with that. That's likely what I would say as well, but thse little 1911s really spit the brass every which way. My wrists are pretty tight. I, ummmm, won't disclose my age-old technique for keeping them strong.  

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:19:40 AM EDT
[#27]
"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood!"

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:20:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Never had that happen.
Very nice Pistol
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:21:10 AM EDT
[#29]
I've gotten rid of guns that can't be tuned not to hit me in the face with brass.  Good looking gun, but if first round takes an eye out in a defensive situation it's not worth having.  Find a 1911 smith that can tune the ejector.

And no, I don't love semi's that need a little tuning, which is probably the reason the only 1911 that I still own is the one my Father carried in WWII.  I hate having to fiddle with new guns to get them to work right.  That's the factory's job.  Used guns are another matter, but I expect new guns to work properly out of the box.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
my Glocks don't do that  

I've owned a G17, G19, G20, G21, G22, G23, G26, G27, and two G30s and not a single case ever hit me.

This gun and a S&W 1911 have been the biggest offenders. The S&W grew out of it as I shot it more and more. Hopefully this little Colt will be the same way.  

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:23:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Did you have to pay extra for that?
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#32]
thanks for the afternoon laugh!
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:24:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Hell, you're famous...you have your face on a t-shirt!

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:27:39 AM EDT
[#34]
lol now go into a kwiki mart and see if the clerk comments on your "bindi"
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I've gotten rid of guns that can't be tuned not to hit me in the face with brass.  Good looking gun, but if first round takes an eye out in a defensive situation it's not worth having.  Find a 1911 smith that can tune the ejector.

And no, I don't love semi's that need a little tuning, which is probably the reason the only 1911 that I still own is the one my Father carried in WWII. I hate having to fiddle with new guns to get them to work right.   That's the factory's job.  Used guns are another matter, but I expect new guns to work properly out of the box.

Oh, Piggy, that's part of the fun with a new 1911. When you shoot it, it's kind of a fear/respect mixture.  

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

And no, I don't love semi's that need a little tuning, which is probably the reason the only 1911 that I still own is the one my Father carried in WWII.  I hate having to fiddle with new guns to get them to work right.  That's the factory's job.  Used guns are another matter, but I expect new guns to work properly out of the box.

That's no fun, you gotta break in a 1911 just like you break in a new girlfriend, it's the fun part....
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stop limpwristing it.

This!

Yeah, I knew someone would chime in with that. That's likely what I would say as well, but thse little 1911s really spit the brass every which way. My wrists are pretty tight. I, ummmm, won't disclose my age-old technique for keeping them strong.

Typing on the internet?  

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:36:12 AM EDT
[#39]
I have never heard of or seen anything like that.  I have been hit in the head with cases, but never any pressure behind them.  Weird.  Lefty, shooting one handed, maybe even a short left arm or something?  Wild.  totally wild.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:37:25 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've gotten rid of guns that can't be tuned not to hit me in the face with brass. Good looking gun, but if first round takes an eye out in a defensive situation it's not worth having. Find a 1911 smith that can tune the ejector.

And no, I don't love semi's that need a little tuning, which is probably the reason the only 1911 that I still own is the one my Father carried in WWII. I hate having to fiddle with new guns to get them to work right. That's the factory's job. Used guns are another matter, but I expect new guns to work properly out of the box.

That's no fun, you gotta break in a 1911 just like you break in a new girlfriend, it's the fun part....

I want a shirt that looks just like your avatar.  That is simply...cool!

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:38:09 AM EDT
[#41]
XMM, are you left handed?
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:40:49 AM EDT
[#42]
NONE of my pistols EVER did that to me.....You need to have a talk with your pistol bud.
Oh Wait ..... I see what happened there ... You were shooting it 'gangsta style' Werent you ???
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:46:13 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea, it's loads of fun spending a hundred bucks in ammo, dealing with FTFs, FTE's and FTRTBs, having every idiot at the range offering advice, just to find the gun won't work right even after a break in, then spend a couple of hundred having it tuned, then spend another hundred bucks in ammo dealing with the above mentioned failures, then spending $50 to return it to the factory, finding out it still has the same problems, then selling it at a $200 loss to a buddy who now hates me cause I sold him a gun that doesn't work right, despite telling him at the time it didn't work right.  But of course he's a 1911 fanatic and was sure I was just limp wristing it.  

Yep, loads of fun.  I've done that with the last 2 1911's I've bought, and no, they weren't Taurus's or RI's, one was a Colt and one was Kimber.  I'll leave that fun to the folks that crave it, it just annoys me.

I LOVE good working 1911's, but for me there's a huge gap between loving one and actually owning one.

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, it's loads of fun spending a hundred bucks in ammo, dealing with FTFs, FTE's and FTRTBs, having every idiot at the range offering advice, just to find the gun won't work right even after a break in, then spend a couple of hundred having it tuned, then spend another hundred bucks in ammo dealing with the above mentioned failures, then spending $50 to return it to the factory, finding out it still has the same problems, then selling it at a $200 loss to a buddy who now hates me cause I sold him a gun that doesn't work right, despite telling him at the time it didn't work right.  But of course he's a 1911 fanatic and was sure I was just limp wristing it.  

Yep, loads of fun.  I've done that with the last 2 1911's I've bought, and no, they weren't Taurus's or RI's, one was a Colt and one was Kimber.  I'll leave that fun to the folks that crave it, it just annoys me.

I LOVE good working 1911's, but for me there's a huge gap between loving one and actually owning one.

LOL, Pig, I love your posts. I read you all the time over in the Handguns and Ammo rooms. Honestly, if I were forced to bet on your opinions as far as this thread goes, I would have LOST big.    I'd have pegged you as a you-gotta-WORK-for-the-perfect-gun type of fella.

You do know your shit, though, and I agree with at least 90% of your posts.  

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 11:56:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
XMM, are you left handed?

Nope, I'm a righty. I can't even wave with my left hand.  

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 11:57:53 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Whenever I get a new semi-auto I always - in addition to eye and ear protection - wear a baseball cap pulled waaaay down over my forehead. I've been caught by too many cases in the forehead to forget it.

Well, apparently it's been too long since I gotten pegged because I got to the range and as I was putting my eyes and ears on I realized, "shit, I forgot my hat."

Obviously there was no way I was cancelling my new Colt Night Defender's maiden voyage on account of a forgotten hat!  
 But, as it turns out, there was a price to be paid! Hell, I've been hit many times in the forehead by flying brass from new guns, but this one was a doozy! When it hit I knew it would draw blood but I still had 50 rounds to put through her before I was done so I finished up. The blood had rolled down my face and into my beard...

Anyway, ya gotta love new semi-autos that need a little tuning!  

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i73/tjhands/Christmas2008022.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i73/tjhands/Christmas2008025.jpg

Always assumed you looked like Thomas Magnum.

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 12:00:03 PM EDT
[#47]
I've had that happen a few times with my Les Baer. It hits me square in the forehead on the last round of a mag about 50% of the time. Only once have it had it leave a mark, a nice semi-circle on my forehead.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Stop limpwristing it.

yup..
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 12:02:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Looks like grape jam.
I'm sure everything looks like grape jam to you.

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#50]
WOW! I couldn't have done that if I tried.

Dead center!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top