BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/31/2009 2:54:46 PM EDT

Army testing ACU camouflage patterns in Afghanistan
Oct 30, 2009
By Courtesy of HQDA, G-4

WASHINGTON (Army News Service, Oct. 30, 2009) - Two new Army Combat Uniform camouflage patterns - MultiCam; and the Universal Camouflage Pattern (UCP-Delta) - are being tested by two battalions in Afghanistan.

The camouflage patterns are being tested to determine what might provide the best concealment to Soldiers operating in a unique mountain, desert and woodlands environment.

One battalion is receiving uniforms in MultiCam, a pattern worn by some Special Forces troops, while the other battalion is receiving uniforms in Universal Camouflage Pattern - Delta, a variant of the current ACU camouflage pattern that incorporates the coyote brown color and reduces the percentages of sand and gray colors. The battalions also will retain their standard ACUs.

"We already have extensive data on the performance of various camouflage patterns in particular environments, but we need to keep building the science for Operation Enduring Freedom," said Brig. Gen. Peter N. Fuller, who oversees Program Executive Office Soldier. "For example, we need more information on how the uniform camouflage blends with the Soldier's combat equipment in specific environments."

While the issue of camouflage patterns has recently been in the news, the Natick Soldier Research, Development and Engineering Center has studied and reported on the effectiveness of different camouflage patterns for many years.

A team has deployed to Afghanistan to collect data in the various environments, outside the forward operating bases. The team includes representatives from PEOffice Soldier, Army G-4, U.S. Army Infantry Center, U.S. Army Special Operations Command, the Asymmetric Warfare Group, U.S. Naval Research Laboratory and NSRDEC.

Feedback from the two battalions, as well as results of additional tests being conducted by NSRDEC on multiple camouflage patterns, are expected to be presented to Army leadership in early 2010.

Since the introduction of the Army Combat Uniform in 2004 the service has made more than 25 improvements to the ACU and its associated equipment based on what Soldiers have to say.

Improvements since 2004 include a reinforced seat, buttons on the cargo pockets, and better attachment of the infrared tab. This improvement process is ongoing, as Soldiers keep suggesting new ways to adapt the uniform to their needs.

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 2:55:08 PM EDT
[#1]

Army always seeking improvements to combat uniform
Oct 30, 2009
By HQDA, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, G-4

ARLINGTON, Va. (Oct. 30, 2009) –– Nothing says pride like a Soldier in uniform. Today's Soldier has much to be proud of in the current Army Combat Uniform (ACU).

As Sgt. Maj. of the Army Kenneth O. Preston said, the ACU was designed by Soldiers, for Soldiers. Developed with functionality in mind, many design aspects of the uniform lend themselves to low maintenance, such as the 50/50 cotton/nylon wrinkle-free fabric and the shine-free boots. The uniform also has pockets for elbow and knee pad inserts for added protection, and drawstring at the ankles and waist for improved comfort and fit.

Since introduction of the ACU in 2004, the Army has made more than 25 improvements to the uniform and associated equipment based on Soldier input. These include a reinforced seat, buttons on the cargo pockets, and better attachment of the infrared tab. This improvement process is ongoing, as Soldiers keep suggesting new ways to adapt the uniform to their needs.

Now the Army is focusing on the concealment the ACU provides to Soldiers operating in Afghanistan's unique environment of mountains, deserts, and woodlands.

"The Army is all about taking care of Soldiers," said Command Sgt. Maj.Jeffrey J. Mellinger of Army Materiel Command. "That means providing Soldiers with the best equipment. In this case, it means evaluating what is the best camouflage for uniforms in current operating environments."

The Army is exploring alternate camouflage patterns in two ways. First, the Army is equipping two battalions in Afghanistan with uniforms and personal equipment in alternate camouflage patterns. One battalion is receiving uniforms in MultiCam, a pattern worn by some Special Forces troops in Afghanistan. The other battalion is receiving uniforms in Universal Camouflage Pattern - Delta (UCP-Delta), a variant of the current ACU camouflage pattern that incorporates the Coyote Brown color and reduces the percentages of sand and gray colors. The battalions also will retain their standard ACUs.

Second, the Army is evaluating six candidate camouflage patterns, including the currently used Universal Camouflage Pattern. The intent is to determine which of the six currently available patterns, with corresponding personal protective equipment, provides Soldiers with the most effective concealment in Afghanistan.

"We already have extensive data on the performance of various camouflage patterns in particular environments, but we need to keep building the science for Operation Enduring Freedom," said Brig. Gen. Peter N. Fuller, the Program Executive Officer Soldier. "For example, we need more information on how the uniform camouflage blends with the Soldier's combat equipment in specific environments."

While the issue of camouflage patterns has recently been in the news, the Natick Soldier Research, Development and Engineering Center (NSRDEC) has studied and reported on the effectiveness of different camouflage patterns for many years. The current ACU provides Soldiers with concealment in a variety of environments, from urban to desert, both during the day and at night.

A team has deployed to Afghanistan to collect data in the various environments, outside the Forward Operating Bases, where Soldiers are fighting the enemy. The team includes representatives from the Program Executive Office Soldier, Army G-4, U.S. Army Infantry Center, U.S. Army Special Operations Command, the Asymmetric Warfare Group, the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory, and NSRDEC.

Feedback from the two battalions, as well as results of additional tests being conducted by NSRDEC on multiple camouflage patterns, are expected to be presented to Army leadership in early 2010.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 2:56:24 PM EDT
[#2]
They should just go with MC, but I think it's more likely they'll go with UCP-D.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 2:57:27 PM EDT
[#3]
About time.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 2:58:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Pics?
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 3:00:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Pics?

Look in the tac gear section. UCP delta pics are all over 2 threads.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Let's spend a few million on research, a few hundred million on new camo uniforms, and then we'll festoon them with reflective belts.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Pics?

MultiCam (in the foreground)

versus this.

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#8]

UCP-D
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 3:02:43 PM EDT
[#9]
god UCP looks so fucking gross. What was it? Like hey, just throw this ugly ass color in and call it a day?
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
god UCP looks so fucking gross. What was it? Like hey, just throw this ugly ass color in and call it a day?

Looks like  bastardized digital Flecktarn.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 3:05:08 PM EDT
[#12]
What was wrong with DCU's?
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Um, I'll go with Multicam please.

UCP-D =
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Their are advantages to one uniform...but IMO they are outweighed by the disadvantages.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 4:20:20 PM EDT
[#15]

You could get the same effect by feeding the entire squad chili and beer and having them throw up on their BDU's.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#16]

looks like redneck pajamas

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#17]

That sort of looks like 80's Russian style cammo...minus the digital print
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 4:34:00 PM EDT
[#18]

It looks like the old German flecktarn.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 4:37:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I remember seeing Rangers in MC... is that the BN?
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 4:41:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It looks like the old German flecktarn.

Except for the Fleck looked good.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 5:11:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll refrain from holding my breath.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 5:22:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Looks like someone flug shit on a ACU.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Here is a pic from the Multicam test...

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#24]

the camo they used in desert storm was better than that crap

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:33:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Chances are they will go with the UPD so they don't have to field new TA-50 in MC.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:41:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Okay, I give, wheres the damn cloth.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
They should just go with MC, but I think it's more likely they'll go with UCP-D.

UCP D looks like my dog took a crap on normal ACUs.

It literally looks like dog shit.

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Suck when you get into the valleys full of farms and green areas.

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

reminds me of monty python's "how not to be seen"
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:55:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Please let multicam win.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Db tap, sorry.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 10:45:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/4214/3023808afghanistanafgha.jpg

reminds me of monty python's "how not to be seen"

How not to be seen
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:52:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Good lord I hope that abortion of a pattern doesn't get picked.  How the fuck did they manage to make the ACU pattern even gayer/uglier?!?!
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:08:29 AM EDT
[#34]
id rather wear my blaze orange than wear any of that garbage
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:09:15 AM EDT
[#35]

I have no idea how close I am.  It just looked like a break in the foliage and shadows.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:44:49 AM EDT
[#36]
hope multicam wins.

that dcu looks more like the german flecktarn
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:40:28 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc301/hoosier122/gun%20stuff/wherescamoman.jpg

I have no idea how close I am.  It just looked like a break in the foliage and shadows.

Any other interwebz scout snipers?

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#38]

Fuck me running, that looks like someone got a bunch of drunk Germans from Oktoberfest to barf all over a set of ACUs and then actually put that shit on afterwards.

Would Army Aviation pilots have to wear that shit? That actually looks so bad it's having an impact on future plans.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#39]
eww, the UCP looks like something I puked in college once
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Why not just go back to Woodland and 6 Color Desert?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Fuck me running, that looks like someone got a bunch of drunk Germans from Oktoberfest to barf all over a set of ACUs and then actually put that shit on afterwards.

Would Army Aviation pilots have to wear that shit? That actually looks so bad it's having an impact on future plans.

I was speaking more towards if I located to "combatant" in the picture...

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Checklist:

1. Does it make sense?
2. Does it solve an existing problem?

If yes to either or both:

3. Do not adopt recommended change under any circumstances.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your post wasn't the one I quoted...
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Checklist:

1. Does it make sense?

2. Does it solve an existing problem?

If yes to either or both:

3. Do not adopt recommended change under any circumstances.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your post wasn't the one I quoted...
Well dangit, what do you think?  

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:18:00 PM EDT
[#44]
UCP-D looks like something from a Combloc country in the 70's.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#45]
I want them to pick MultiCam for no other reason than for me to be able to get surplus multicam on the cheap.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Well, great. That pattern looks like shit. Literally.

Maybe we can save money by just having a bad case of the bubble guts liquid shits all over our existing uniforms.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:37:29 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Please let multicam win.

It wont. Logic evades the Army.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:37:38 PM EDT
[#48]

Digital baby shit?

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#49]

im not reupping if i have to wear that
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:40:15 PM EDT
[#50]

South Central Texas Multicam test...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top