Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:54:22 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The area that I was shooting in used to be a hunting ground up until a few years ago and the cops who arrested me told me that, they weren't too angry about it. Population density and all of that obviously is a factor like you said. You must live pretty far from other houses for them to tell you it's okay to shoot in the air though.

Is it just the difference between States? Would things have been different if these were 40 yo hunters doing target practice? Is there a post 9/11 terrorism element here? Are they being charged simply to justify the LE resources used?

I kind of asked myself that as well. Because of the circumstances it's hard to say what they would have done if we were older. From what I know about the differences between the states (which isn't much) it seems like if I was in Alabama or something then things would have been a little different.

I'm not worried about U_Down_Wit_OPP- it's clear that he has his own personal issues that he needs to deal with and I hope that one day he'll become the wise mature person that he says he is.

9/11 or no 9/11 the LEOs were coming to that call the same way they did that night.  That land may have been hunted years ago, but then again some of those homes may not have been there years ago.  No justification is need for the LEO response.  You yourself said you were wrong.  So has most everyone else here.  You are a better person for now knowing what happened was not the actions of a responsible gun owner, that is if you truly learned the lesson.  

Now, just to be clear after reading Neo1's comment  NEVER FIRE INTO THE AIR!!! geeez  Take a freak'en gun safety course already.  Or better yet, stand down range and have a buddy rain some 00 buck down on you.  If you survive, let us know if you still think shooting into the air is safe.

Disclaimer;  Do not try the 00 buck thing.  I thought I better put this in here because if your firing into the air you may be just dumb enough to try this.  By the way was the name of the LEO you asked about shooting into the air named Deputy Barney Fife?  

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:14:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow, looks like some people in here are taking out their sexual tensions.

No ones perfect!  I think that maximum they should fine you a couple hundred and make you take a hunters safety course.  no more than that.  Too bad your in Illinois!

And whats the crack about Bama?  JK

Again Good luck
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:16:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I do take this very seriously and I'm sorry that the LEOs that were there needed to fear for their lives thinking that we were gang members or Al-Qaeda or something. I will DEFINITELY un-stupify myself and there will always be a voice in the back of my head that's asking whether I'm being safe enough.

But yeah, I'll be sure to update you guys when I find more info. Your comments have been helpful.

In the meantime, check this out: www.state.il.us/Court/Opinions/SupremeCourt/2005/February/Opinions/Html/97804.htm

I guess it's not just 18 year olds who do stupid things.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Second ammendment foundation may take your case for free.  Check with them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I do take this very seriously and I'm sorry that the LEOs that were there needed to fear for their lives thinking that we were gang members or Al-Qaeda or something. I will DEFINITELY un-stupify myself and there will always be a voice in the back of my head that's asking whether I'm being safe enough.

But yeah, I'll be sure to update you guys when I find more info. Your comments have been helpful.

In the meantime, check this out: www.state.il.us/Court/Opinions/SupremeCourt/2005/February/Opinions/Html/97804.htm

I guess it's not just 18 year olds who do stupid things.

I read the URL above. I am not a lawyer but the opinions are so vague and broad that to me the arguments would apply to any discharge of a firearm. Hunters "endanger" the people around them. The incident with the VP would qualify. Even shooting on a range would qualify as there is the possibility of ricochet. This law as it is being interpreted seems to outlaw the discharge of a firearm under almost any circumstances.

I think firing hundreds of rounds into the air in a densely populated area (a city) should qualify. Firing a few rounds into the air in a not densely populated area  does not make sense to me to qualify as a criminal offense.

This law is simply too vague IMO. I still do not think that a criminal act was committed. If these people are convicted then the VP should face a similar or worse conviction (although I do not believe he should either).

This is supposed to be the land of the free but instead we are ruled by lawyers and held captive in a cobweb of an almost infinite amount of laws.

IMHO
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:35:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top