Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2004 4:26:30 PM EDT
The dinner and a movie deal for a first date, IMO, suck, and have been done to death, more specifically the movie part of it.  
That said, I'm still taking the chick out to dinner, but I'd like to hear some suggestions to add to it.  I've checked out the local events schedule for a comedy night, etc, but there isn't much that looks interesting.  I'm Looking for an out of the ordinary idea.

She's cute....

Help me out, folks!  

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Take her mini golfing or bowling. Neither of you have to be good at it, in fact that is part of what makes it fun. It gives you a chance to tease eachother, and women love a sense of humor.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:11:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Take her mini golfing or bowling. Neither of you have to be good at it, in fact that is part of what makes it fun. It gives you a chance to tease eachother, and women love a sense of humor.

i was going to suggest mini golf too--something where you can talk, not just sit in a dark theater

is there someplace near you that has a pumpkin patch or something??  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#3]
if only this were in the GD.

J
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm...wonder if I can post here and survive...

You're in Mich?  If you're in DA U.P., go to the shore of Superior near Sugarloaf.  Back in the late 80s, you could drive right up to the shore from the highway that goes past the ski hill just south of Marquette (can't remember the highway number).  Have a great picnic, hike or camp.  Campfires were OK.

Maybe ask her what her interests are and plan accordingly.
Maybe ask her to provide input for 1/2 of the date time - your half is dinner event, her's is ____.

So much to do in Mich.  

I have planned dates using the above, and the women always seemed appreciative that I considered their wants, etc.

All this coming from a guy who can't stay married - YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#5]
the one thing that ALWAYS worked for me....cook for her.....something simple that you can serve wine with.....worked everytime.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:33:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I usually just try for dinner & drinks at a really nice restaurant or bar.  A few other things I've tried have been a picnic in the park and/or Bronx botanical gardens, pizza at Grimaldi's followed by a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, MoMA (Museum of Modern Art), walking/biking somewhere, and getting shitfaced at the local dive bar.  I try and stay away from anything involving dancing (because I can't dance to save my life), but you may be better off there.

Of course, as I've often found out, even a great plan doesn't guanantee you won't get shot down...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
if only this were in the GD.

J

PRECISELY why I didn't post it there!  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:38:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Ice Skating is fun.

How about going to a corn maze?  A nice drive in the country plus a couple of hours trying to find your way through an edible labyrinth is always a good time.

Take her to the range?

YOU could cook dinner for HER -- my now-husband did that for me on our first date and I was duly impressed.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:40:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Great ideas, ladies and gentlemen.

eta, LadyLiberty, your uterus still scares the shit out of me.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Get a piece of pie at a quiet place so you can talk and enjoy something sweet.

MT
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:55:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Shoot pool or throw some darts. take in a comedy club, Nice place to have a few drinks and take in some entertainment. A bike ride. Walk along the river or the park.

Or you could.....
Do her in the butt and post pics.
Lets see how long that last here.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Never been out with a cute girl before?

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:28:05 PM EDT
[#13]
 yes.  as I stated, the whole dinner and a movie thing is old.

Just asked for some unusual ideas.  Got a few that I like.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#14]
The first thing that popped up in my mind was mini golfing, and then going for dessert afterwards.  Mini golfing helps get the awkwardness out of the way and lets you enjoy yourselves and flirt a bit, and dessert afterwards is the chance for you to sit down and have a real conversation.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I wouldn't go all out on a first date . Cute or not , there is no way to tell if there is going to be that spark , or whatever you want to call it .

Planning a date that spans several hours really sucks when your stuck with hard plans  after it went south in the first 15 minutes  ……………….. BTDT , more then once  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:16:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I wouldn't go all out on a first date . Cute or not , there is no way to tell if there is going to be that spark , or whatever you want to call it .

i always try to keep some sort of flexibility-at least having a few different options makes it a little more light and fun.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:45:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Take her to a Biker bar...no wait I am serious!  Tell her this guy you know that is really good with romancing the ladies (can't believe I just said that) told you it's a great place.  Wait for the first Grizzly to say something or whistle then tell her this is no place for a lady of her quality and grace! Be sure you rag on him the whole night, i.e..."I can't believe how insensitive he is," you get the point. Then proceed with any of the other great ideas you already heard.  After that place she will be THRILLED with anything!  Of course if she is a biker chic then by all means take her Goofy Golfing and follow above advice in reverse order.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:40:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:12:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Lady Liberty mentioned ice skating. Roller skating is good, too. It's especially funny if you both really suck!! How about a good long wheeler ride in the national forest for a day date? Something I have always wanted to do on a date, and never done, is go to the symphony. Sounds kinda geeky, but you would be surprised, classical music live is pretty powerful. (coming from a metal head)
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:09:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Get two first class tickets to Rome, you'll be sure to score
I kid
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:47:52 AM EDT
[#21]
I would suggest a few things, some of which has already been mentioned...

Bowling - as long as you aren't super competitive, many people cannot do this well and it gives you something to do and talk about and share an experience while at the same time won't cost a lot of money...

Picnic - Have a picnic at a cool park, near a lake if possible, and bring wine, cheese, and some wacky foods.  I had a guy take me out on a picnic once for a first date, and it was awesome!  He brought a bunch of wacky food and told me that he had never tried any of it before...so we tried them together and had a fun time as well!

Paintball - depending on what she likes to do, this could be fun and can tell you something about how adventurous she is

Good luck to ya and remembe to let us know how the date goes!

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:36:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Offer her the opportunity to suggest something...such as, "Is there anything you enjoy doing in particular that you would like for me to make reservations for"

If she suggests something, then you are good to go! Add something of your own in but plan around her suggestion.

If she has nothing to suggest that she prefers to do, then let her know you'll take care of it and complete the planning process yourself with any of the great suggestions above, etc.

I would bet that she might hint around to something or come right out and suggest something if provided with the opportunity
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#23]
How about go cart racing or laser tag.  The more they sweat during the date the better chance that they will want to sweat afterwards.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Church or strip club.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
How about go cart racing or laser tag.  The more they sweat during the date the better chance that they will want to sweat afterwards.  

I must disagree with the latter portion of your statement. A girl on a first date would be less apt to want to get physically close after getting sweaty on a first date. The level of comfort is not there to surpass the embarassment of even the slightest malodorous odor.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#26]
we had a good evening last night...

some flexibility in plans is definitely a key
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:03:08 PM EDT
[#27]
So, whad'ja do?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:12:01 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Congrats! Did ya get lucky???  j/k
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

alright

completely UNACCEPTABLE to leave us hanging like that

more details needed  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#30]
dinner: nothing too extreme, Bennigans (upbeat places with a lot of people are never a bad thing), a lot of friendly 'i don't know you yet' talk at first but she was interesting and we got along pretty well, things started to get really open as the meal went on--she's mildly sarcastic as am I and our senses of humor definitely fit together.  fun start to an evening.

turns out she's in to classical music, me being the genius i am *cough* i made sure to take a look at on-campus events before we went out, and mentioned that MSU concert orchestra had a concert that night.  she liked the idea, we went.  she told me afterward that she was glad I had some culture......what is this culture you speak of?  It intrigues me.  

went to her apartment following the concert, had some dessert, and oh jeez, look at the time!

thanks for your help, ladies and gents.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#31]

thanks for the update
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:24:14 PM EDT
[#32]
You're welcome.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:28:41 PM EDT
[#33]
I got asked somewhere and never heard form the person Friday, 1 more failure for me.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:33:53 PM EDT
[#34]
what's the worst that can happen?  they say no?  find someone else and ask...have a little confidence.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:35:51 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
what's the worst that can happen?  they say no?  find someone else and ask...have a little confidence.

I have more failures the Hesse guns.

She asked me, I didnt provoke it, I should have known it was a trap
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:39:01 PM EDT
[#36]
bah....try again.  and there's some good ideas here.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:52:15 AM EDT
[#37]
You ladys are absolute GOLD!

I will hopefully ask a lady out tomorrow if i get the balls cos im a chickenshit
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:03:36 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
You ladys are absolute GOLD!

I will hopefully ask a lady out tomorrow if i get the balls cos im a chickenshit

Ladies rarely throw themselves into your bed if you don't talk to them.

Talk to them, after that, it's all good.

It's much easier to get some if the girl knows you.

TXL
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:44:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Here is alway a good option, even for a second date.

Have a picnic on a haunting hayride.  Get some nice take-out and a bottle of wine and buy a real picnic basket and use real plates, flatware and wine glasses.  She really will not care much about the food being take-out, but will really appreciate how it is served.  Show the intents of taking the extra step.  Contact the party responsible for the hayride and ask if it is OK to show up a little early so you can dine a bit.  This being your first date, having a few other people around (workers) may make here feel at ease, so she is not isolated.  If there is any attraction, the hayride will seal the deal, so to speak.  And I am not talking about "hitting" it on the first date.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top