Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2005 4:27:37 PM EDT
After reading a few threads on here I have begun discussing home defense scenarios with my wife.  We have three children and want to be prepared for a home invasion should it ever happen.  I am no lone ranger and after a false alarm a few weeks ago and my attempt to clear my dark three story house alone, I have decided it would be best if we secured our family in the master bedroom and wait for the police to arrive with 911 on the line.
Questions:  
1.) Will the police make entry if a door is open.
2.) Should we remain in the room after they arrive and let them clear the house.
3.) If we tell the 911 operator that we are in the master bedroom upstairs, will the officers come to the room and ID themselves to let us know the house is clear.

I know that the likelyhood of a home invasion is relatively slim, but we have had family friends who were invaded.

Thanks for the insight and any recommendations are appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
After reading a few threads on here I have begun discussing home defense scenarios with my wife.  We have three children and want to be prepared for a home invasion should it ever happen.  I am no lone ranger and after a false alarm a few weeks ago and my attempt to clear my dark three story house alone, I have decided it would be best if we secured our family in the master bedroom and wait for the police to arrive with 911 on the line.
Questions:  

YES  the police will most likely make entry if an open door is found.

2.) Should we remain in the room after they arrive and let them clear the house.

I would suggest staying in the room you KNOW is secure and tell the 911 operator exactly where that room is located.

3.) If we tell the 911 operator that we are in the master bedroom upstairs, will the officers come to the room and ID themselves to let us know the house is clear.

If you tell the dispatcher where you are in the house, the officers will clear the rest of the house and try to make their way to where you are.  Take into account they have never been in your house before and it will probably be dark.  Make sure when they open the door to your room you are NOT holding a weapon.

I know that the likelyhood of a home invasion is relatively slim, but we have had family friends who were invaded.

Link Posted: 11/29/2005 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe there should be 1-3 rooms that are secure (one per floor).  This security is enhanced by access to a phone to call for help from that room.  If an occpupant of a residence or apartment feels their domicile is being entered by an unwelcome party their best bet is to get to the room, secure it, and call 911.  IF they have have training for the level of protection they have planned to use and are prepared to use it then access it and be ready.  I would recommend having any firearms out of sight of the officers when you answer their knock on the door, keep your hands visible, and tell them you have a ....whatever... in the room (unless there are other appropriate circumstances).    

I would have no problems entering a residence (locked or not) at the request of a homeowner to secure their premises.  If the homeowner is sure they are secured in a room I would advised them to remain their until I knocked on the door.  I would send my K9 in to clear the house (with prior knowledge to the homeowner).  If I was not comfortable with how secure the homeowner was or pet status I would good room by room clearing with the K9.

We have had a couple of home invasions in my area.  Usually they are over with very fast.  I have not arrived on scene and found the suspects present when I arrived.  Unfortunately my town is pretty spread out so vehicles are rarely far from the scenes.  

I would recommend people evaluate their homes and make changes to minimize unauthorized entry.  In most cases, while maintaining the look of a normal house, these changes will just slow the criminals down.  Hopefully that will be enough to get to a secure room and call for help.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 6:09:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome responses.  Thanks for the insight.  I had never thought about spare keys.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Remember to use you head and stay calm.

Relay as much information as you can to the dispatcher, they are the eyes and ears for the responding officers. If it sounds like the perp(s) are downstairs and made entry through your sliding glass door, tell them. Officers need to know what is going on and need to be updated while in route Stay on the line as long as possible while maintaining tactical security.

Just saying the right things to the 911 dispatcher can be the difference between life and death for all involved.

Each situation will be different and you need to be ready to adapt as it changes.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 6:25:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I am completely confident in my abilities and have trained for worst case scenarios.  It's just that my experience is working with other team members.  Shit is a lot different when your wife and kids are involved.  Definitely agree on the positive comms with dispatch.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 6:31:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Have a house key attached to something large and visible that you can toss out the window for the police to open a locked door with
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Questions:  

I would suggest staying in the room you KNOW is secure and tell the 911 operator exactly where that room is located.

If you tell the dispatcher where you are in the house, the officers will clear the rest of the house and try to make their way to where you are.  Take into account they have never been in your house before and it will probably be dark.  Make sure when they open the door to your room you are NOT holding a weapon.

And in the event it's the intruder opening your door you're supposed to be unarmed?  If i'm on the phone with 911 I want the officers name, so he can identify himself before entering my bedroom.  Then, I'll put my weapon down.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 7:30:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Questions:  

And in the event it's the intruder opening your door you're supposed to be unarmed?  If i'm on the phone with 911 I want the officers name, so he can identify himself before entering my bedroom.  Then, I'll put my weapon down.  

Nothing wrong with that.  I am not going to be just opening doors without announcing who I am prior to opening them.  If you have a weapon make sure you let the operator know you have a weapon and tell them you WILL put it away when the officer reaches your door.  TRUST ME, they will let you know it is them at your door if you do this.  I damn sure don't want to walk into a situation like that.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Here is how my home defence works..................Intruder breaks in then BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! the sound of shell casings hitting the floor as well as the body of the intruder. I call 911 when the police arrive I greet them give my statement and they call the coroner to get the dead piece of shit out of my house.

I don't understand the mentality of a safe room? My entire house is my safe room you break in your a dead man walking. The police wont have to come looking for me when they show up I will greet them at the door.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Here is how my home defence works..................Intruder breaks in then BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! the sound of shell casings hitting the floor as well as the body of the intruder. I call 911 when the police arrive I greet them give my statement and they call the coroner to get the dead piece of shit out of my house.

I don't understand the mentality of a safe room? My entire house is my safe room you break in your a dead man walking. The police wont have to come looking for me when they show up I will greet them at the door.

Well Rambo I hate to put a kink in your plans but I highlighted mistake number 1.

Keep your trap shut and let your lawyer do the talking, period.

Oh, and if you scan the entrances to your house 24hrs a day for intruders I suggest getting out more often. You will be hit when you least expect it, showering, sleeping, tagging the old lady.....

As i said before, the situation will change rapidly, you had better be prepared to adapt rapidly.

Why not have a safe room? What are your kids and wife going to do, hide in a closet with no lock? What if you get taken out, will the perps like running a "train" on your unprotected wife? Do you not plan for fires in your house too?

Stop and think before you make "Rambo" statements and go to front sight and take a class, your attitude will change.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Figures a "Greenie" (HunterCO) would say that.  Is this a LEO reponse from HunterCO? All I gotta say is after you (HunterCO) BOOM BOOM, plan on still being under investigation until the police clears you of any wrong doing.  Also you probably just classified yourself as a suspect.  Keep in mind, the initial call is of a burglar inside/breaking into a house.  You greet me at the door, expect my gun drawn on you, your face hitting dirt and then cuffed under investigative detention.  Police are not going to know who you are even if you say your the owner.  As for the other responses, I think they are excellent and proper.

Fooking Greenies!!!
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 8:31:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Tag

Link Posted: 11/29/2005 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well Rambo I hate to put a kink in your plans but I highlighted mistake number 1.

Oh, and if you scan the entrances to your house 24hrs a day for intruders I suggest getting out more often. You will be hit when you least expect it, showering, sleeping, tagging the old lady.....

As i said before, the situation will change rapidly, you had better be prepared to adapt rapidly.

Why not have a safe room? What are your kids and wife going to do, hide in a closet with no lock? What if you get taken out, will the perps like running a "train" on your unprotected wife? Do you not plan for fires in your house too?

Stop and think before you make "Rambo" statements and go to front sight and take a class, your attitude will change.

First off moron there is no problem with giving a statement to LE unless your a jackass with your tinfoil hat on. I have a dog trust me she will be the first to tear some ass I am just going to make sure the job gets done last but not least I don't have wife and kids and if you do I feel sorry for them they have a panzy ass to protect them!

I am not RAMBO jackass it's called MY FUCKING HOME you break in you get shot is that simple enough for you? You and Sara Brady must be related.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Figures a "Greenie" (HunterCO) would say that.  Is this a LEO reponse from HunterCO? All I gotta say is after you (HunterCO) BOOM BOOM, plan on still being under investigation until the police clears you of any wrong doing.  Also you probably just classified yourself as a suspect.  Keep in mind, the initial call is of a burglar inside/breaking into a house.  You greet me at the door, expect my gun drawn on you, your face hitting dirt and then cuffed under investigative detention.  Police are not going to know who you are even if you say your the owner.  As for the other responses, I think they are excellent and proper.

Fooking Greenies!!!

Well your gun drawn is fine I would expect as much if my face hits the dirt then you will live under a bridge once my lawyer gets done with you. I would comply with your demands understanding you have no idea who is who so there would be no reason for my face to hit the dirt and if it did you would wish it had not.

The only Greenie response I have seen is yours so far don't let that badge swell your head it makes all the family and feinds I have as LEO's look bad.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Are you referring to an actual home invasion or just waking to the sound of someone in your house? Two different animals.

Home invasions involve violent entry either as you open the door for someone, or by the intruder breaking in a door/window, etc. Someone that will do this will not be kept from forcing (or attempting) their way into your safe room, since they're not really trying to keep you from noticing that they're in the house. They are after you, one of your family members, or something in your house worth so much to them that they'll kill your family members in front of you to get you to hand it over. If this ever happens, you probably won't give you enough time to get your family into one room, and is the so-called "SHTF" home-defense scenario. Better have immediate access to your firearm for this. Wife or other family member ought to be calling 911 while whoever's armed to protect the house, does so.

If we show up at a bonafide home invasion, and you were able to gather in one room safely, MAKE SURE you are able to clearly describe exactly which room you are in to the dispatcher. We'll likely head to your bedroom door first and verify you're in there, and are alright, then clear the rest of the house starting from there.

The other (and much more prevalent) scenario is that you awake to noise/footsteps downstairs. It's usually one of two things - either something fell over and woke you up, or there actually is someone down there. If there is, he's likely trying to not get caught, and would rather hide or run if confronted, but if cornered may just attack. This guy won't seek you out in the house like the home invader will. This is the better scenario to play it safe as you described, and secure yourselves and wait it out. By not confronting him you won't get into a battle and risk family's safety. If you do have to attack, i.e. he enters the room, at least you have the upper hand since he has to come through the doorway to get to you. If you're able to tell the dispatcher where you think the person is in the house we'll usually focus our search there first, and get to your room last.

In either case, we'll knock/announce at your door, and wait for you to tell us that you're inside. Aside from that, we'll tell the dispatcher that we are outside your bedroom door so you can unlock it and meet with us. That reminds me... Do NOT hang up from the 911 call until the officers are done searching the house and you are with them. If the dispatcher wants to disconnect with you by saying that the officers are on the scene, politely tell them NO, that you prefer they remain on the line until the search is complete.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 9:05:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

First off moron there is no problem with giving a statement to LE unless your a jackass with your tinfoil hat on. I have a dog trust me she will be the first to tear some ass I am just going to make sure the job gets done last but not least I don't have wife and kids and if you do I feel sorry for them they have a panzy ass to protect them!

I am not RAMBO jackass it's called MY FUCKING HOME you break in you get shot is that simple enough for you? You and Sara Brady must be related.

HunterCO... have you notice which forum you've decided to pick a fight in? I guess you're not an LEO, so why you answered the thread posters question with an unrelated statement we don't know.

Might want to re-read the COC as well as the tacked announcement thread at the top of this forum. You just violated both.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#18]

HunterCO... have you notice which forum you've decided to pick a fight in? I guess you're not an LEO, so why you answered the thread posters question with an unrelated statement we don't know.

Might want to re-read the COC as well as the tacked announcement thread at the top of this forum. You just violated both.

I was not trying to pick a fight just stated what my home defense was but I understand what your saying and why. I did not realize that since I'm not a LEO that basically I can't post my opinion in this part of arf.com. It will not happen again. Us against them it will never stop..
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 9:21:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Are you referring to an actual home invasion or just waking to the sound of someone in your house? Two different animals.

Home invasions involve violent entry either as you open the door for someone, or by the intruder breaking in a door/window, etc. Someone that will do this will not be kept from forcing (or attempting) their way into your safe room, since they're not really trying to keep you from noticing that they're in the house. They are after you, one of your family members, or something in your house worth so much to them that they'll kill your family members in front of you to get you to hand it over. If this ever happens, you probably won't give you enough time to get your family into one room, and is the so-called "SHTF" home-defense scenario. Better have immediate access to your firearm for this. Wife or other family member ought to be calling 911 while whoever's armed to protect the house, does so.

If we show up at a bonafide home invasion, and you were able to gather in one room safely, MAKE SURE you are able to clearly describe exactly which room you are in to the dispatcher. We'll likely head to your bedroom door first and verify you're in there, and are alright, then clear the rest of the house starting from there.

The other (and much more prevalent) scenario is that you awake to noise/footsteps downstairs. It's usually one of two things - either something fell over and woke you up, or there actually is someone down there. If there is, he's likely trying to not get caught, and would rather hide or run if confronted, but if cornered may just attack. This guy won't seek you out in the house like the home invader will. This is the better scenario to play it safe as you described, and secure yourselves and wait it out. By not confronting him you won't get into a battle and risk family's safety. If you do have to attack, i.e. he enters the room, at least you have the upper hand since he has to come through the doorway to get to you. If you're able to tell the dispatcher where you think the person is in the house we'll usually focus our search there first, and get to your room last.

In either case, we'll knock/announce at your door, and wait for you to tell us that you're inside. Aside from that, we'll tell the dispatcher that we are outside your bedroom door so you can unlock it and meet with us. That reminds me... Do NOT hang up from the 911 call until the officers are done searching the house and you are with them. If the dispatcher wants to disconnect with you by saying that the officers are on the scene, politely tell them NO, that you prefer they remain on the line until the search is complete.

excellent post, I just have one thing to add.

In the scenario where you hear someone in your house, you are right it is best to establish a defensive position in the room you are in and phone the police.  But also don't forget that some people have children, or for whatever reason may have family members in other parts of the house who may be vulnerable.  In that scenario, you've got no choice but to go hunting.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 9:48:17 PM EDT
[#20]
We get lots of calls for noise or BIPS Burg in Prog.  As others have said. Stay on the line.  This is for yours and the responding officers safety.  Everyone will be hyped up so communication is important.  

Every situation is different.   A lot is determined by the communication or lack thereof.

My little story is this.   I go home for dinner late one night. wife and daughter are in the basement watching TV.  I set alarm as I'm leaving.  I screw up and set it with interior motion detction.  Wife and daughter trip alarm and freak.  She runs into the bedroom locks door and racks a round into shotgun and lays it on bed aimed at the door. Gets 357mag revolver out of minivault lays it on bed. Has phone and dials 911. She and Daughter are hidden with angle on door.  

I was on a call when it came out.   Beat buddies show up.  Do what they do.   No entry point seen.  They asked her to come to the door without guns.   She and daughter come to door.  They come in and clear it.  

Of course she cut me off for a while after that one.   Beat buddies hang crap on me for being such a dumb *$$   They laugh and say she was loaded for bear and told me that they told her she probably ought to unload the guns before I got home because they didn't want to have to do the paperwork when she killed me.

Oh and the phone cut out when the alarm was overriding the phone call when it redialed. She triped it a second time moving around.   She dialed 911 again.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 1:24:27 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I was not trying to pick a fight just stated what my home defense was but I understand what your saying and why. I did not realize that since I'm not a LEO that basically I can't post my opinion in this part of arf.com. It will not happen again. Us against them it will never stop..

You can post in this forum. Anyone can. Try keeping it civil though. Don't come in here, spout vigilante type phrases and expect to feel welcome.

As for Us vs. Them never stopping - that all depends on how "US" handles it, since we can't control what "THEM" says.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 7:45:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Some people just HAVE to let their dick hang out in a public forum.

As for the original scenario, I've been to several where these things have happened.  

The caller's phone goes dead in the middle of the call.  If you have one of those "walkaround" type phones, make sure the battery is good for more than 5 minutes of operation and will work from room to room,  or swap it out for one hardwired to the wall.  Call someone like your chatty sister and talk till the phone goes dead might give you a yardstick to use.  Also, do NOT put your kid on the phone.  I'm sure she's a wonderful 7 year old, but things tend to degrade when they get scared.

Next.  If you see someone moving around in your backyard AFTER you call the police DON'T light them up with a flashlight from your second story window.  We really hate that, and the bad guys will shoot purely out of reflex
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 9:07:25 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hunter I do not want to ruin this thread with anymore responses. I will only wish you luck if this ever happens to you and wish no on ill harm. I hope you can pop the bad guy in the doorway and cleans the gene pool a bit more but you know what they say, "hope for the best but prepare for the worst" A safe room for you and your loved ones to secure yourselves in is a great start.

You should look into taking a defensive pistol, shotgun, rifle class sometime. It's pretty damn cool the things you learn. They even explain the laws in your state about self defense, how to properly clear a room/house, right down to speed loading a shotgun.

As NPD223 stated above, a home invasion will not be some guy breaking you window to get it. It will be a guy posing as the pizza man ringing your door bell with a pistol behind his back ready to throw in your face and 3-4 guys behind him around the corner waiting for him to secure the person that opened the door. It may be the perp just kicking in your door and 3-4 guys rushing in.

In any event they rely on surprise and swift control of the victims with brutal force. If your loved ones don't have a secure place to run and hide to defend themselves you can count on them becoming victims too.

ETA - I am not LEO but just throwing some ideas out there and believe that any LEO on this board would be more than willing to help anyone of us out by answering questions like the ones posted above. This is not a us vs. them thing.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 9:36:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Everbody plays the " Home invasion" scenario.  Feeds the Rambo fantasy I suppose. What they tend to overlook are actually the more common types.

Entry into your home while you are there and unaware the entry has occurred.   Many occupied dwelling burglaries occur this way.  Guys will practically clean house without you ever knowing it.   Two story houses are really open to this.  Fairly common.  

Subject  enters the house while you are gone, conceals method of entry, and WAITS FOR YOU TO GET HOME.   This one happens a LOT more than folks realize, and usually to single women/elderly.  Also what happens in an unoccupied residence burglary when somebody comes home early and surprises the suspect.  These two are also the biggest reason around as to why guns not kept close at hand  should ALWAYS be locked up.  (Hint:  "Close at hand" does NOT mean behind the kitchen door while you are in the upstairs bedroom)

You and the police have enough problems in these situations without providing free weaponry to the burglar.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 10:30:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Many good replies here and I respect go2cnavy for having the foresight to think this through and make a family plan. I have done the same. I work nights, I am a peace officer, my home is not protected by any invisible shield because I am a cop. On the contrary I have crossed paths with some folks that may wish to do me harm as a result.
I understand the position of "this is my home and I will shoot any intruder" and have no problem at all with it. I feel the same way. However as stated in other posts an invader will most often use a ruse to get someone to open the door for them. That's why the wife and kids need to be trained. Let's face it realistically, none of us go through every single day in total fight mode. Hell, we would burn out and die or be classified as paranoid.
Make reasonable plans, the cops DO NOT want to shoot YOU the homeowner. I have been there and I am not too proud to tell you all that a nervous woman alone in a house with a gun that I have to enter scares the crap out of me. I am all about yelling POLICE over and over in that situation while keeping cover.
I don't believe there is a one size fits all answer.
If I am home in bed and my front door gets kicked in I am going into defense mode. My dogs will hinder the bad guys (I hope) and I will use years of SWAT training to my advantage.
Do I sleep in body armor and raid gear with an MP5? No. I will be in my SpongeBob PJ's with my personal shotgun. I will use the "fatal funnels" of my home to my advantage and defend the sleeping areas of my home where my family will be.
Bad guy enters the hallway, bad things will happen to him. If he just wants to steal my 10 year old TV he can have it. I will wait for my partners to arrive in response to the 911 call.
One thing I can stress is to have a light on your home defense weapon for target identification. If you have called the police tell the dispatcher where you are and that you are armed.
I know many think we (police) are knuckle dragging morons with some kind of fetish for shooting people. This is the internet after all.
If I know the homeowner is armed I am going to identify myself, loudly and repeatedly, I will stick my badge around a corner if that is what it takes.
I can tell that someone wearing pajamas and holding a weapon is the homeowner. I don't shoot everyone I see with a weapon. Hell, this is Texas, everyone has a gun. I MAY shoot the guy in the ski mask with a weapon.
Just use common sense, have a plan. Test your plan. Look at your home from a bad guys point of view and discover where you are vulnerable.
And.....relax a little. Home invasions are pretty rare among the non criminally involved. Most are drug rips or dopers that know someone has cash. Don't associate with dopers and your risk level goes way down.
If you own a jewelry business or something like that you may have a more pressing concern.
You can IM me if you have a specific concern.
Stay safe.

SSS
1981 graduate of the National Crime Prevention Institute, University of Louisville.
Former USAF crime prevention / resource protection specialist
Whole bunch of other stuff that makes me sound tactical and cool
Current Texas peace officer , crime prevention inspector/specialist, police instructor, firearms instructor, TASER instructor, blah, blah, blah.
(Just an old copper with an attitude that trys to help the good folks of the world.)
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 11:57:19 AM EDT
[#26]
To all of you that replied, minus one, thanks for taking the time to respond.  I appreciate the insight and recommendations.  Maybe the forceful home invasion wasn't what I had in mind initially, but thanks for bringing it to light.  I have had years of tactical training and consider myself rather qualified to defend myself or team members.  But it's a whole lot different staging for a raid and being prepared to encounter resistance than it is to wake up from a deep sleep to my home alarm blaring and my kids running to my room screaming.  I will have to do some preparation for the worst even though it's not likely to happen.  

P.S My  mother never thought she would get car jacked at a pizza place.  AND SHE'S A PEACE OFFICER.  Shit happens.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Two very important things to take to the bedroom EVERY night. your weapon of choice and a charged cell phone, all other weapons should be locked and secured.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Just a little side thought, as I had a false alarm in the middle of the night a while back.  At two thirty in the morning when the security alarm goes off it scares the crap out of you.  You are flustered as all hell and will not be thinking straight for the first few minutes, which are the most important.  You can practice and train till the cows come home and that is well worth the time, but it is hard to recreate the groggy " what the hell " feeling you have when jarred awake.

Luckily my situation was a false alarm, because everything I could do wrong, I did, most wont get a free "trial" run.  It took me a good 30 seconds just to turn the damn alarm off, I think I was punching my ATM code in

I am working on a plan with my family as well, but like the original poster, it is hard with small children.  Let the professionals do their work.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Just a little side thought, as I had a false alarm in the middle of the night a while back.  At two thirty in the morning when the security alarm goes off it scares the crap out of you.  You are flustered as all hell and will not be thinking straight for the first few minutes, which are the most important.  You can practice and train till the cows come home and that is well worth the time, but it is hard to recreate the groggy " what the hell " feeling you have when jarred awake.

Luckily my situation was a false alarm, because everything I could do wrong, I did, most wont get a free "trial" run.  It took me a good 30 seconds just to turn the damn alarm off, I think I was punching my ATM code in

I am working on a plan with my family as well, but like the original poster, it is hard with small children.  Let the professionals do their work.

You shouldn't disarm the alarm.  Disarming it will stop the central station from dispatching the PD.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 4:39:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You shouldn't disarm the alarm.  Disarming it will stop the central station from dispatching the PD.

See, I told you I did everything wrong.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

See, I told you I did everything wrong.  Thanks.

I am the orig poster...  I disarmed mine also because it was scaring the hell out of the kids.  My alarm comany called within 30 seconds and asked for our password.  Pretty good company.  Everytime we have inadvertantly activated it, they have call immediately.  When it went off and we weren't home, they called my cell phone.  A++ to Greystone monitoring service!!!
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Mine is not monitored, so turning it off really didnt do any harm.  I was having a hard enough time trying to think without being deafened by the blarring siren.  Those things are LOUD!
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#33]

Hunter I do not want to ruin this thread with anymore responses. I will only wish you luck if this ever happens to you and wish no on ill harm. I hope you can pop the bad guy in the doorway and cleans the gene pool a bit more but you know what they say, "hope for the best but prepare for the worst" A safe room for you and your loved ones to secure yourselves in is a great start.

I have no problem with you but understand something "MY HOUSE IS A SAFE ROOM" get it? If somebody breaks in they are in my safe room and they will die period. I wish the best for you also maybe you will get a nut case that is willing to negotiate while your locked in your so called safe room.

You should look into taking a defensive pistol, shotgun, rifle class sometime. It's pretty damn cool the things you learn. They even explain the laws in your state about self defense, how to properly clear a room/house, right down to speed loading a shotgun.

No offense but that made me LMFAO I have had my share of training but you pretend as you wish!

As NPD223 stated above, a home invasion will not be some guy breaking you window to get it. It will be a guy posing as the pizza man ringing your door bell with a pistol behind his back ready to throw in your face and 3-4 guys behind him around the corner waiting for him to secure the person that opened the door. It may be the perp just kicking in your door and 3-4 guys rushing in.

It will never be as anyone imagines it so what is your point? As NPD223 pointed out I am a viligante he is a nazi or should I say officer in NY so why should that surprise me? In the free world we as mere pheasant have the right to defend our homes unlike the communist state he works and lives in. We mere pheasants have the right to carry guns to protect our selves unlike the communist state he lives in.

In any event they rely on surprise and swift control of the victims with brutal force. If your loved ones don't have a secure place to run and hide to defend themselves you can count on them becoming victims too.

In any event meet force with force and if you lose your loved ones are fucked anyway as if a bedroom door is going to stop somebody!

ETA - I am not LEO but just throwing some ideas out there and believe that any LEO on this board would be more than willing to help anyone of us out by answering questions like the ones posted above. This is not a us vs. them thing.

I am not a LEO either just glad the LE where I live dont think that because I protect my home I am a "Vigilante"  I am thankfull I live in the free world with real police officers that want the same thing I do freedom and security!
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I have no problem with you but understand something "MY HOUSE IS A SAFE ROOM" get it? If somebody breaks in they are in my safe room and they will die period. I wish the best for you also maybe you will get a nut case that is willing to negotiate while your locked in your so called safe room.

Why would I try and negotiate with someone that has forced there way into my house? The only negotiating that will be done will be with a 12ga shotgun. If your house has been broken into your "safe room" has already been compromised in your situation. The point of a safe room is to minimize entrances for the bad guys to attack from. One door to cover beats having a house full of windows and doors to cover, closets for perps to hide in, and ambush hiding spots bg's can get ya from. In a safe room you have one door and one window to cover (ideally).

No offense but that made me LMFAO I have had my share of training but you pretend as you wish!

No offense taken but no offense to you that I don't believe you have had any training what so ever just by the statements you are making here. I am sure others here who have had good training will be letting you know the same.

It will never be as anyone imagines it so what is your point? As NPD223 pointed out I am a viligante he is a nazi or should I say officer in NY so why should that surprise me? In the free world we as mere pheasant have the right to defend our homes unlike the communist state he works and lives in. We mere pheasants have the right to carry guns to protect our selves unlike the communist state he lives in.

Let me first off say that I know for a fact that NPD223 is not a police officer in NY. Second let me say that I have no idea where your pissy attitude of police officers has come from but it is pretty bad. Third, you are a "vigilante" as far as I am concerned. You talk like you are made of steel and eat bullets for breakfast. I find it rather immature and am beginning to wonder if you hacked into your dads account here on ARFCOM

In any event meet force with force and if you lose your loved ones are fucked anyway as if a bedroom door is going to stop somebody!

The bedroom door with a dead bolt lock will be one of the last lines of defense before the bad guy meets a 12ga shotgun from either myself or my wife. The chances of me NOT getting taken out hiding behind the bed with two 12ga shotties laying in wait is MUCH better than me sneaking around the house looking for an unknown number of perps in unknown locations

I am not a LEO either just glad the LE where I live don't think that because I protect my home I am a "Vigilante"  I am thankful I live in the free world with real police officers that want the same thing I do freedom and security!

Again, I don't have a clue why you dislike the police so much? All the officers I know just want to come home at the end of the day in one piece and not have to deal with too many "Rambo's" during the day

Hunter, you just don't understand. Whatever training you have had (if any) in the past I would throw out the window and start over.

Please just stop posting. You are giving BAD information in a serious post. Your like one of those guys that tells people that Extreme Shock ammo is a good defensive ammo round when we all know it isn't.

It's your hole, keep digging if you want.

Edited for spelling
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would I try and negotiate with someone that has forced there way into my house? The only negotiating that will be done will be with a 12ga shotgun. If your house has been broken into your "safe room" has already been compromised in your situation. The point of a safe room is to minimize entrances for the bad guys to attack from. One door to cover beats having a house full of windows and doors to cover, closets for perps to hide in, and ambush hiding spots bg's can get ya from. In a safe room you have one door and one window to cover (ideally).

No offense taken but no offense to you that I don't believe you have had any training what so ever just by the statements you are making here. I am sure others here who have had good training will be letting you know the same.

Let me first off say that I know for a fact that NPD223 is not a police officer in NY. Second let me say that I have no idea where your pissy attitude of police officers has come from but it is pretty bad. Third, you are a "vigilante" as far as I am concerned. You talk like you are made of steel and eat bullets for breakfast. I find it rather immature and am beginning to wonder if you hacked into your dads account here on ARFCOM

The bedroom door with a dead bolt lock will be one of the last lines of defense before the bad guy meets a 12ga shotgun from either myself or my wife. The chances of me NOT getting taken out hiding behind the bed with two 12ga shotties laying in wait is MUCH better than me sneaking around the house looking for an unknown number of perps in unknown locations

I am not a LEO either just glad the LE where I live don't think that because I protect my home I am a "Vigilante"  I am thankful I live in the free world with real police officers that want the same thing I do freedom and security!

Again, I don't have a clue why you dislike the police so much? All the officers I know just want to come home at the end of the day in one piece and not have to deal with too many "Rambo's" during the day

Hunter, you just don't understand. Whatever training you have had (if any) in the past I would throw out the window and start over.

Please just stop posting. You are giving BAD information in a serious post. Your like one of those guys that tells people that Extreme Shock ammo is a good defensive ammo round when we all know it isn't.

It's your hole, keep digging if you want.

Edited for spelling

LMFAO when you can make sense we will talk!

Or even better yet when you can read!
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#36]
http://www.gunowners.org/sk0503.htm

i think you will find this interesting.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 10:55:10 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

LMFAO when you can make sense we will talk!

No Hunter, we won't. I cannot stand cocky Rambo types. You are dangerous.

Look through this thread and count how many people call you out. In your next idiotic post give me the number. Hint: It's close to your IQ.

Or even better yet when you can read!

I should learn to read? Before I learn to read you should learn to spell so I am able to read what you are writing. Try a spell checker and before you tell someone to learn to read at least have the brains to make sure all your bases are covered and your spelling is correct.  

Let me sum it up HunterCO. You're an idiot and we see it more and more with every post you make. If you would like I can start a thread in the pit and we can hash it out there with public opinion as to who is right?

ETA - Fuck it, I am done with this in this thread and I apoligize to the thread owner.

Hunter - You can continue this here - To the pit
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 2:47:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Hunter:

You know what?  Most of the cops here agree with you for the most part.  I think that if someone breaks in my house or takes anything then I should be able to kill them without hesitation and then should get an award for cleansing the gene pool.
I think that child molesters and rapists should get the death penalty.  I think I should be able to execute them on the spot.
I think that the death penalty is under used and under rated.  
I think that we should cut people off welfare and disability.

Ok that's my opinion.  Now there's a little place we like to live in that we like to call reality.  Face the facts, Americans are becoming pussies and don't have the stomach for the harsh realities of life.  You are trying to explain the way things should be.  Wake up call.....THINGS AREN'T THAT WAY!!!  My fellow LEOs here are trying to explain how to function in the world that we all currently live in.  You don't like that.  Oh well.  We have to live in the legal system that we currently have.  Hopefully things will change for the better.  However, we are trying to give this guy good advise based on the current political situation.  The original poster doesn't need to hear Rambo's opinion.  If you don't have anything constructive to contribute to the conversation, then stay out of this forum.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 3:25:21 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Please point out where I called you a vigilante.

You just called me a Nazi in this forum??

Bye!
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 5:14:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Some people just can't take a hint, and need to flaunt an ego the size of a barn.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 6:19:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 6:19:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Done.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#43]
clean up attempt
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#44]
clean up on hold...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top