Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2008 5:56:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#1]
How far are you from work or where ever you will be getting home from? Since this is a GHB you may need additional items depending on the distance and what part of the country you are in.
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 6:13:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Toilet paper?
A few zip lock bags
spare car keys
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Lots of battery powered stuff and I don't see any spare batteries.  

Maybe one pair of spare socks and maybe a pair of Sealskin Waterproof MVT Socks.
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Toilet paper?
A few zip lock bags
spare car keys

DOH... good call!

I would throw in a spare pair of socks and maybe a couple more mags but sounds like you are pretty well covered.
I assume you would be traveling East
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 6:30:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a Silva ranger compass and you can ditch the signal mirror.

But get a compass, of any sort.
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1 Compass and a map of your AO.

--gotta know the quickest routes if you have to walk.
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 6:58:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Adding socks, TP and batteries will make it tight.  I could get another molle side pouch and remove the mag pouch, or maybe cram a ziplock bag with TP and the socks into the mag pouch.

Pull the TP you have in your bathroom now and replace it with a full roll.  Take out the card board tube, throw it in a ziplock bag and you just killed two birds with one stone.  You could even double or triple bag the TP for extra bags.  That should cram into your bag as it is.
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Adding socks, TP and batteries will make it tight.  I could get another molle side pouch and remove the mag pouch, or maybe cram a ziplock bag with TP and the socks into the mag pouch.

Pull the TP you have in your bathroom now and replace it with a full roll.  Take out the card board tube, throw it in a ziplock bag and you just killed two birds with one stone.  You could even double or triple bag the TP for extra bags.  That should cram into your bag as it is.

Just started a new roll

too much info!
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 7:33:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Roger that, the GPS has a compass, but I agree with having one that is not satellite or battery dependent.

ETA, which Silva Ranger... there are several models.  One in particular you would recommend?

Silva used to be it's own company, then they got bought by Coleman.  Then Suunto got in the ranger-style compass game, and Silva/Coleman thought they had to change their design to keep up.  Then Brunton bought out the Silva division of Coleman, and again thought they had to fiddle with the design to keep up.

The closest thing to the original Silva Ranger Type 15 (the very best hand navigation compass on the planet, bar none) is the Brunton Nexus Elite, about $45 or thereabouts.

Adjustable declination, clinometer, mirror sighting compass.

There's two general versions, azimuth and quadrant.  I prefer quadrant, some folks prefer azimuth.

Here's an link to Amazon...Brunton Nexus Elite
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 7:54:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 3:57:31 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Lots of battery powered stuff and I don't see any spare batteries.  

Maybe one pair of spare socks and maybe a pair of Sealskin Waterproof MVT Socks.

roger another pair of socks.

I could throw some spare batteries in, but the lights are LED.  The steripen can do many gallons of water before needing a recharge.  The shortwave radio can probably run for 24 hours without needing more batteries.  Do you really think that more batteries are needed?  The  headset and GPS use AA, so a 4 pack would be a spare set for each device.  The LED headset uses 3 AAA batteries.  Odd device out, might look for one that takes AA instead.  The steripen and surefire use CR123A, so four spares would be enough for both devices.  Guess that wouldn't add much more weight, or take up too much more space.

I find batteries always die at precisely the time they're needed most.   I would care 1 spare set of each battery type I needed.  In your case, 2 AA and 2 CR123A  (assuming you get a headlamp thats AA or CR123A).

As they say two is one and one is none.  Always have a backup,  well always when you can afford the weight and space.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 4:48:48 AM EDT
[#20]
A GHB without a single carabeaner or length of para cord?  Oh for shame

Well seriously, a carabeaner on that nalgene enables you to hang it from your belt while hoofin'.

A decent baseball cap should be considered.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 5:09:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 5:11:04 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Am I wrong or is the compass you linked a quadrant but shows a picture of an azimuth compass?

I have a coupon for 15% off at REI that I could use on this which appears to be an azimuth.  Is this the same compass as the one you linked, just with azimuth instead of quadrant?

Yes, that is an azimuth version in my photo.  And it's an azimuth in the Amazon link.

That REI compass should suit you just fine.  It's just another example of how Brunton now feels they need to fiddle with the design a little bit.  Note the rounded base, and I bet the rulers on the side are cm/mm and inches/sixteenths (instead of cm/mm and inches/20ths).  I do kind of like the orange bezel, though.  And it's got the 1:50,000 and 1:24,000 scales (1:24,000 is a direct read off USGS quads, BTW).

The Quadrants will have "N E S W" markings at the four cardinal directions, and degree markings running from 0 to 90 (starting at N or S) in each quadrant.

I like quadrant compasses because if I want to turn a 180 or 90, I don't have to do any math;  N 18 E is the reciprocal of S 18 W (i.e. I don't have to remember that 18 degrees is the reciprocal of 198 degrees).
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 7:01:04 AM EDT
[#23]
 GHB for the budget challenged. (like me)

$6 (on sale) Messengers bag from Wal-Mart

Water,bag of trail mix,compression bandage,Ace bandage,extra ammo,mini mag lite. You shouldn't need maps or compass in your daily AO.You should always carry a good knife, multi-tool and cell on your person. You should already be dressed appropriately for the season.

Just my .02.

Link Posted: 5/11/2008 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#24]
arent you a little pissed that the Steripen pre-filter doesnt fit on the Steripen aventurer?

I have the same setup, though in retrospect I should have bought a standard steripen.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 1:40:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 1:50:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Not done with my bug out bag, a few things still on order.

This is my proposed daily get home bag.

Contents
32 ounce Nagalene bottle
Steripen wide mouth bottle filter
Steripen UV water purifier
3600 calorie Mayday emergency ration bar
Rain poncho
Emergency saw
Waterproof container with strike anywhere matches
2 light sticks
First aid supplies
LED head lamp
Surefire LED flashlight
Binoculars
Shortwave AM/FM radio for news updates
GPS system with topo maps for the Northeast
Space blanket
Signal mirror
Pocket knife
Pocket multi with screwdrivers and hex keys
Smith and Wesson MP9C
2 spare magazines

Ditch the cable saw.  Your pic is a bit blury, but it looks like you got one with the two rings on either end.  Those have a tendency to break, like lots of the time. You'd be better served with a folding saw.

I'd also recommend a small bottle of gold bond or other assorted foot powder and moleskins (you'll tahank me later.)

Extra socks as others have rightly stated.  You should also keep about a hundred in $5's or $10's and 2 bucks in quarters.  A small notebook and a space-pen type writing implement also wouldn't hurt.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 1:53:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 2:32:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Do you really need all that stuff to go 20 miles?  
For me, a spare change of socks, a bottle of water, and the knife and CCW piece I have with me all the time should suffice.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 3:13:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 3:16:32 PM EDT
[#30]
I would consider dumping the steripen. It is a good long term choice for a BOB or home use, but doesn't it take a while to work?

I would switch it for one of the bottle style filters that does the job in an instant.

Big plus one on the extra socks and gold bond. Don't know if the compass is necessary, but I carry one with me in my GHB.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 3:23:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Not done with my bug out bag, a few things still on order.

This is my proposed daily get home bag.

For a daily get home bag, what am I missing?

I'd add the following;

A half roll of toilet paper in a zip lock bag
Some assorted change and about $20 in small bills.  Wrap the coins in a piece of saran wrap to keep them quite.
A hat to keep the sun and or rain out of you eyes.

Twenty miles is one to two days at most.

I'd try not to back too heavy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top