Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/9/2008 4:24:41 AM EDT
Hiking / camping trip, 12/19-21.

I'm in the process of hiking the PA section of the Appalachian Trail (North - South in 20-30 mile increments) and wanted to extend an open invitation to anyone interested in doing a weekend trip.

This section will be in Berks County.

-We will be covering approx. 20 miles through rocky terrain with minor elevation changes.
-Vehicles will be staged at the begining and end points.

Equipment needed: (this is a basic list)

TP
Food
Quality hiking footwear
Backpack
Sleeping bag
Sleeping pad
Water containers
Cold weather clothing
Cookware
Shelter (poncho, tarp or tent)
Whistle
Compass
Water filter
Stove
Small knife
Fire starting material (two kinds)
Basic First Aid Kit

Don't let a lack of gear keep you from coming.
We can pair up and share things like tents (if you want one), stoves, water filters, etc, but not sleeping bags!

Obviously a certain degree of physical fitness is required.
We will be doing 1-2 practice hikes in the Montgomery County area.

I'll update this thread as needed.

Whiskey

Attendees:

Whiskey +3
Bicho
Waveridr85 +1

Link Posted: 11/9/2008 4:32:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 6:18:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Count me in!
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 5:54:02 PM EDT
[#3]
How about some more details? Like start and end locations and times. Not sure if I can make the whole weekend but I'm sure I could do one of the nights. This is right in my backyard.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 10:17:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I just moved into Berks Co.  I'll have to see what work looks like.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 2:11:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How about some more details? Like start and end locations and times. Not sure if I can make the whole weekend but I'm sure I could do one of the nights. This is right in my backyard.

I'm currently at Rt 309 and headed South.
I'm going to try to do 1 or 2 sections before then so I don't know the start and end points.
Most likely it will be near the Pinnacle or Pulpit Rock.
If anyone wants to do a trip before then, let me know, I'm open to pretty much anything.

Regarding times, let's wait and see who's coming and work that out according to everyone's schedule.

ZR700: We can definitely link up out there if you'd like.
PM me if you want to work out the details.

Link Posted: 11/13/2008 5:42:22 AM EDT
[#6]
You will LOVE the Pinnacle...best views from the AT in PA.  The pulpit is ok, can stop for lunch there.  When you reach the Pinnacle, there are some cool caves underneath that my kids thought were more fun than the hike itself!  They were like whack-a-moles popping up from the different openings.  Trails are easy and this is a great novice hike for those not in the best of shape.  Plenty of camping areas around the summit as well, and good fresh water stream nearby.  

Post more details we might join you.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#7]
BUMP
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 3:48:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm going to have to change the trip date to 12/19-21.
We're having our Christmas party the 13th.
If you were planning on attending, please let me know if this doesn't work for you.

We're going to start at RT 309, heading south to Windsor Furnace Shelter.
The total trip ditsance will be approx. 22 miles.

The map I'm using is the Keystone Trails Assoc. / Sections 3-6 / Lehigh Gap to Swatara Gap.
It can be purchased from REI, EMS, Etc.

The sooner people commit, the sooner we'll plan the details.
We'll give it another week.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Does Waldo know about this hike?

Close to home for me...so I might hike a day or two with you!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:01:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I am from the Lehigh Valley and I am very interested in making it out to this. I hiked the section between the the bake oven knob and the gap a few weeks ago and haven't been able to rally and local troops to hike the next section. Would this be a go even if we have snow/severe cold that weekend?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Does Waldo know about this hike?

Close to home for me...so I might hike a day or two with you!

I don't know Waldo.

Come out, we'll have a good time!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:42:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am from the Lehigh Valley and I am very interested in making it out to this. I hiked the section between the the bake oven knob and the gap a few weeks ago and haven't been able to rally and local troops to hike the next section. Would this be a go even if we have snow/severe cold that weekend?

Hell yeah!
The more adverse, the better.
Come on out.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#13]
If anyone has any questions regarding gear, ask them now.
I would think it's going to be pretty cold.

Anyone interested in doing a practice hike this Sunday, 11/23, at Valley Forge?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:45:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I spoke to Phil via email and it looks like I'll be attending, possibly with a friend.  It should be a great time.  I do have some questions though:

What distances are we looking to hike without stopping?
What time will be alloted for food?
What time will we have to set-up/breakdown shelters etc?
Water crossings?
Camp fires?
Time to kick back and relax by the fire?

I'm just trying to get an idea of what people are expecting so I can get a pack together., and decide on supplies.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:22:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I spoke to Phil via email and it looks like I'll be attending, possibly with a friend.  It should be a great time.  I do have some questions though:

What distances are we looking to hike without stopping?
What time will be alloted for food?
What time will we have to set-up/breakdown shelters etc?
Water crossings?
Camp fires?
Time to kick back and relax by the fire?

I'm just trying to get an idea of what people are expecting so I can get a pack together., and decide on supplies.

We'll take breaks anytime someone wants to.
We'll take as long as anyone wants to to eat.
We'll take as much time as we want to set up/break down shelters.
Water crossings - no.
Camp fires - I don't go camping if there's no fire.
I'm usually one of the first ones in the bag, but if we get some new comers I'll stay up to gab.

As far as pace goes, we put whoever thinks they'll be the slowest up front.
If there are no volunteers, I'll do it.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:07:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds great. I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect.  I don't think by any means I will slow anyone down but I may need a bit more time than others to setup shelter since I'm a bit green.  

What meals do you plan on eating?  Will there me time for cooking?
I'm a guy than can eat beef jerky and other small snacks for days without a hot meal, but if time is permitting i will probably make a meal if everyone else will be doing so.

I guess that's really the reason for all these questions.  I'm a pretty young and athletic person that could have a care less about tops/breaks/time/and food on the hike, but if others are going to take the time enjoy some luxuries, I would like to as well, this way i can pack to anticipate them.  i just don't want to impose anything upon anyone else.

Thanks for all the help Whiskey.  I'm really looking forward to this trip and your help has been great.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:28:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll mostly be eating MRE's.
Bring alot of cocoa.
Food, fire and the bag are the best parts of the trip and there'll be plenty of time for all of them.
It's snowing outside now.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like it should be a good time. I would be interested in this but I already have plans. Any idea if there will be any hikes, etc. this spirng in the NY/PA area?
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 9:53:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes.
We do quite a bit of hiking during the winter.
All are in PA.
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 8:12:18 PM EDT
[#20]
What are the temperatures that we are going to be dealing with?  I have a 0 degree bag and am wondering if it will be enough
Link Posted: 12/5/2008 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't know how cold it will be, but it will be cold.
I would think between 5-25 at night.
We've always used 15 & 20 bags w/ poncho liners or fleece bags inside.

If you:

Dress warm (sweats, poly pro, thermals, etc. knit cap clean dry socks/wool)
Use a sleeping pad/mat
Use a fleece bag, poncho liner, etc ICW your bag

you'll be fine.

You can also:

Use shelter (TENT/TARP/PONCHO, ETC.) to aid insulation/stop wind.
Put hot water in a water bottle and take it in the bag with you (urine if you want to go hardcore).

Also, something I always wanted to experiment with, was purchasing an inexpensive bag and putting my higher rated bag inside.
Link Posted: 12/5/2008 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I was planning using a small tent along with a sleeping pad and the 0 degree bag.  I hope it wont be overkill.
Link Posted: 12/6/2008 7:39:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I was planning using a small tent along with a sleeping pad and the 0 degree bag.  I hope it wont be overkill.

Don't worry, I'm planing on using a 2 person combat tent and a military sleep system (3 layers).

overkill is my middle name
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 6:22:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Anyone planning on attending please PM me.
The starting point parking area is about 3 miles SE of the RT 309 / 895 intersection on RT 309.
It's not much to look at, a brown wood sign that will say "Appalachian Trail" off to the side of the road.

We can exchange arrival times, contact numbers and other details via PM.

If you own a FRS/GMRS radio, I would bring it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 11:06:45 AM EDT
[#25]
So i took my F-16 fighter jet out for a spin and got you these pictures

Intersection 309 & 895:

Staging area:

CLICK HERE FOR WEATHER FORCAST!
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#26]
My man!

Did you buzz the tower?

Better bring wet weather gear.
I'm packing now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top