Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 17
Posted: 4/21/2021 7:02:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: billyhill]
Doesn't have to be about what is literally coming up, it can be daily weather, plans, hopes, dreams...

What's up? Peppers: bell, poblano, Anaheim, New Mexico, Brazilian Starfish peppers, and Japs. Problem is, I do not know which is which. Apparently, I grabbed the wrong marker and after the last rain I have no legible markings on the cups.

Tilled up another 15x75 bit of ground today. I am up to about 75'x75'. Potatoes are looking great, had to hill those buggers again today.  Put out 23 tomato plants last week, along with 8 or 10 kale (can't remember)  and 3 cauliflower. Put in 40 Chinese cabbages with a mix of baby bok choy, bok choy and napa. Ate the first meal out of the garden with Arugula sautéed with garlic mixed in with some bok choy Last Sunday night. The last of the icicle radishes were pulled today.

Bok choy will be coming out of the garden next week.

Oh yeah, put in about 280 row feet of pink eye purple hull peas. Pole.beans will go in this weekend.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 11:09:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: billyhill] [#1]
Weird editing double tap.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Any yellowing? There is a bacterial disease spread by insects that is killing my squash. Bugs and disease are the bane of my garden. Squash dropped off some time ago and is barely hanging on. Peas  , everything really except tomatoes, is acting like it is winding up. I have to spray again tomorrow. Need to change the oil in my tiller as well.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By billyhill:
Any yellowing? There is a bacterial disease spread by insects that is killing my squash. Bugs and disease are the bane of my garden. Squash dropped off some time ago and is barely hanging on. Peas  , everything really except tomatoes, is acting like it is winding up. I have to spray again tomorrow. Need to change the oil in my tiller as well.
View Quote

Generally no.  A leaf once in awhile, but i cut them off

I also spray with Neem oil if I see any sign of powdery mildew

I think it's just the heat

My green beans are doing the same thing (second planting).  Lots of flowers, healthy looking plants, very few beans

On a positive note, I'm going to have a bumper crop of speckled butter beans

Link Posted: 7/5/2022 11:07:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I am not even getting flowers. I wouldn't run out of fingers and toes counting the blossoms on 140 row feet of peas or 35 ft of pole beans.

Squash isn't setting much fruit.

Tomatoes are 25% dead at this point due to southern blight. At least 2 more are showing early signs.

Freezer is full of squash, 10 quarts of peas, 8 quarts of pole beans and 14 pints of long beans.

Sadly, only 6 quarts of tomatoes up so far. Put up over 20 last year and used them all.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 3:30:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Fell and busted up my left shoulder helping wife around the house, isn't looking good for the rest of gardening season. Surgery may be in the works; I already had a labral tear before this incident. I'll be trying to get an ortho appointment on Monday.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 11:20:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: romad99] [#6]
Here’s a few pictures of our raised beds and new in ground garden I’m finished prepping.  I love the new tiller for my 2025R.  I’m going to add some trellis for the raised beds this week.

Both are works in progress.  We bought this place last year, but I’ve barely had time for improvements.  I’m retiring from the Army soon so hopefully I can focus more energy on the homestead.

Link Posted: 7/11/2022 11:35:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Fell and busted up my left shoulder helping wife around the house, isn't looking good for the rest of gardening season. Surgery may be in the works; I already had a labral tear before this incident. I'll be trying to get an ortho appointment on Monday.
View Quote

Sorry to hear about your fall

I hope you feel better soon

Meanwhile, the rainy season has set in here

2+ inches of rain last week  

Link Posted: 7/11/2022 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By romad99:
Here’s a few pictures of our raised beds and new in ground garden I’m finished prepping.  I love the new tiller for my 2025R.  I’m going to add some trellis for the raised beds this week.

Both are works in progress.  We bought this place last year, but I’ve barely had time for improvements.  I’m retiring from the Army soon so hopefully I can focus more energy on the homestead.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/249363/6A44BA6E-EE4A-41D2-8203-D16854AC98A3-2448553.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/249363/44B53082-794E-4A34-919E-F183506B139D-2448554.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/249363/15DE7493-3E58-49E7-B675-65BE83E236BD-2448555.jpg
View Quote

Nice looking setup

Link Posted: 7/11/2022 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 5:50:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: billyhill] [#10]
Originally Posted By romad99:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/249363/6A44BA6E-EE4A-41D2-8203-D16854AC98A3-2448553.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/249363/44B53082-794E-4A34-919E-F183506B139D-2448554.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/249363/15DE7493-3E58-49E7-B675-65BE83E236BD-2448555.jpg
View Quote

Very nice!

Ortho app tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 9:39:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I had all but given up on my tomatoes and my bell peppers due to the drought and heat.  Then July 1 we got a good steady rain.  We've had regular rain since then and my plants that were dead looking now have new growth on them.  I was watering but I guess there's nothing like mother nature.  

My purple hull peas did not do as well as I had hoped and that's probably my fault.  Some were tiny when I picked them, some were dried out.  I don't think they got enough water.  Ah well, live and learn.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Processing my second batch of tomatoes now. Brandywine, Black Krim, Cherokee Purple and some sort of mutant Beefsteak I didn't expect (smallish).

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 4:25:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FZJ80] [#13]
Garden is doing well this year, tomatoes a bit later it seems but giant zucchini, raspberries, blackberries, and peppers have been great.  

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 12:15:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I picked butter beans yesterday, wow that sun is hot on my back

We got 6 packs out of yesterdays picking.  We freeze them in packs that are enough for the two of us

I also picked 3 nice squash this morning too

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 10:02:50 PM EDT
[#15]
So far it's been a learning experience..    

Our beans are doing great down the plot,  soso here at home in raised beds.      Got a few quart bags of them so far

Lots  of tomatoes down the plot not quite ripening yet,  have 4 raised beds at home with tomatoes 2 in the greenhouse are getting bottom rot on them.  Still fighting that,  I think temperature is the root cause of that, I noticed shallow roots on top.  I started adding calcium to it,  I also added some 33/33/33 topsoil/mushroom compost/compost soil on top to see if that helps,  also removed the roof panels (  I had an automatic exhaust fan, which helped alot, but not quite enough )   Plus the last 10 or so days were close to the 90s with no rain.    

Mellons down the plot have lots of flowers,   pumpkins are spreading out now too..      

Cucumbers in the lower part where it is wettest is doing pretty good,  got a couple cucumbers.      I added some at home to the raised beds a few weeks ago,  they are starting to get climbers on them

Someone gave me a couple zuchini plants and eggplant plants,  they have a couple decent size vegetables on them.  

Pepper plants are still small, but I got some banana peppers

I put in about 50' worth of potatoes,     I have about 10' ready to hill.  

My sweet corn at home was just getting tassel on it, and the storm that came through knocked about 2/3 of it down flat.  I may have recovered some of it.   I have some late corn down the plot (  need to offset the feed corn plated in the field behind it otherwise it will cross pollinate and taste like shit, but in a week or so it should be ready for 34-0-0.    I planted some indian corn early its tasseling now.    

pole beans down the plot are about 5-6' tall,  got lots of small beans on them..

snap peas down the plot were producing pretty well,  but in the last few days they all starting turning yellow-brown at the bottom,  thinking the heat may have damaged them.  

carrots at home in raised beds seem to be doing ok.   none of them took down the plot.  

Brusslesprouts are pretty big ( no vegetable yet) at home in raised beds..  not really doing anything at the plot  

Cauliflower and cabbage were looking pretty good at the plot but it took on some rabbit damage.

Broccoli is getting big down the plot.  

SO far lessons learned for next year..     we're going to try and get 3 plots(each is 15x60) ,  the whole thing will have weed barrier and be fenced in right off the bat.      Start my tomatoes and peppers a month earlier ( started in april, will start in march )  in april ill start my cucumbers, coliflower, cabbage, melons pumpkins indoors ( this year direct planted )       Will direct plant my beans..  no reason to start them, they grew fast and produced fast..       Not going to grow the greenhouse all year,  will use it for hardening plants in the spring and moving some stuff into in the fall when it gets cooler to try and get some extra time from it.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#16]
It's looking like another bumper year for Habaneros!  That usually means everything else does pretty well, too.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Maybe worst year ever for tomatoes. Southern blight wound up killing about half my plants. About the only thing still running is okra. Peanuts.are doing real well. Pulled a test plant and it had 30 plus peanuts on it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 12:14:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Cucumbers are going into over drive right now probably 2 dozen every other day from 6 plants. Starting to get a few tomatoes and bell peppers.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#20]
The bushhog is singing it's long song as another season ends.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:59:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Got half a dozen smallish bell peppers from my plant today.  Tomatoes are putting on new growth and buds, but no fruit.  Gonna keep watering them and see what happens.  

Might plant some mustard greens and potatoes this fall.  Got a bag of Yukon golds that sprouted eyes before I could eat them.  We'll see.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 5:46:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 8:44:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I wish I could find some pole bean seeds we feel like we’ve looked Everywhere on the Internet
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 8:30:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

How is your shoulder?  I scanned quickly, so might have missed the update.  You were going to an ortho, right?

View Quote

Partial tear of the rotator cuff.  6 weeks of pt and reevaluation.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 10:05:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Partial tear of the rotator cuff.  6 weeks of pt and reevaluation.
View Quote

bummer

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#26]
My little garden is still chugging along

My only disappointment is cucumbers

The end of tomato season is close, but i'm going to have a huge second harvest of butter beans

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Picked 3gal of tomatoes and some peppers tonight to make salsa after the kids go to bed.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By TribunusSanGeorgii:
Picked 3gal of tomatoes and some peppers tonight to make salsa after the kids go to bed.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/408270/20220817_183503_jpg-2492983.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/408270/20220817_184118_jpg-2492984.JPG
View Quote

Nice haul

Link Posted: 8/18/2022 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Avidrook:

Nice haul

View Quote

Thanks!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 7:42:22 PM EDT
[#30]
More tomatoes...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:25:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Only thing going well in my garden are the apples.
And the self seeded morning glories around the compost pile

I bought a fruit crusher and press just because of the apples, and partially because I had a honey bee hive cut out in a wall that was almost floor to ceiling of nothing but honey and nectar. No eggs, larva, or brood. Didn't find the queen either (possible virgin?).
Crush and strain of that comb was time consuming and messy, so if it happens again, I'll be ready.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 7:08:57 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm jealous.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 10:32:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Well, things are slowing down in my little garden

Still putting up butter beans

Attachment Attached File

The tomatoes are coming to an end, I'm getting a handful of green beans every other day and okra is finally producing

I planted collards this week

It rained 2" in the last day and a half

I'm gonna milk this as long as I can

Link Posted: 9/7/2022 10:49:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Got a surgical consult on Monday next week . Will find out if I am gardening next year.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 1:08:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Got a surgical consult on Monday next week . Will find out if I am gardening next year.
View Quote

Best of luck

Link Posted: 9/16/2022 11:51:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Avidrook] [#37]
It looks like summer is almost over here

We went from this:
Attachment Attached File

To this:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/18/2022 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Welp, looks like I am out of the gardening game next year. Rotator cuff surgery scheduled over christmas. It's been fun guys. Hopefully someone picks up a new thread for next year.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Welp, looks like I am out of the gardening game next year. Rotator cuff surgery scheduled over christmas. It's been fun guys. Hopefully someone picks up a new thread for next year.
View Quote

Sorry to hear that Billy

You can live vicariously through our posts though

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:14:48 AM EDT
[#40]
been kind of watching this thread, figured I'd share some results from our garden so far.
We started our pepper and tomato plants indoors this spring.  Wife started some other stuff too; cucumbers and squash maybe; I can't remember.

My habanero and banana pepper plants went crazy in august, and have been kicking out good numbers ever since.  I've canned peppers or hot sauce once a week since the 2nd week of august.  Traded a quart of hot sauce for 2 quarts of apple pie moonshine on Saturday.  :)
A few batches of salsa and chili mix, some dill pickles, and now our green beans are cranking out good amounts so we broke out the pressure canner and have started canning beans as well.

This is the 3rd year we've had a garden in.  Learning new stuff all the time.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By tornadochaser:
been kind of watching this thread, figured I'd share some results from our garden so far.
We started our pepper and tomato plants indoors this spring.  Wife started some other stuff too; cucumbers and squash maybe; I can't remember.

My habanero and banana pepper plants went crazy in august, and have been kicking out good numbers ever since.  I've canned peppers or hot sauce once a week since the 2nd week of august.  Traded a quart of hot sauce for 2 quarts of apple pie moonshine on Saturday.  :)
A few batches of salsa and chili mix, some dill pickles, and now our green beans are cranking out good amounts so we broke out the pressure canner and have started canning beans as well.

This is the 3rd year we've had a garden in.  Learning new stuff all the time.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/245490/rasberries_jpg-2532904.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/245490/first_tomatoes_jpg-2532905.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/245490/9-11_canning_jpg-2532906.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/245490/Sunday_91822_jpg-2532907.JPG
View Quote

Well done, nice looking produce

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 1:45:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Besides the fact that we had an unusually large crop of apples this year, including the columnar trees that hardly produced anything up to now, bagging the apples has done well. 900 bags put on, I estimate 200 bags fell or were removed before harvest that were not put on other apples.
Maybe 50 or so bags that were stuck in tree or had bad apples still attached to the tree.

The vast majority of bagged apples were very good. Probably 75-100 were rejected for bad spots/holes/damage.
So I think bagging apples is a good alternative to spraying,if you don't mind the extra work.

I did wind up throwing 14, 5 gallon buckets of rejects not even worthy of cider into the compost pile, plus the peels, cores, and mashed apples.

Almost 5 gallons of cider, 57 pint jars of apple sauce (plus about 2 quarts worth of leftovers and 1 non sealing jar), 3 half pints of apple butter my wife made, and 12, 1.5# bags of apple slices in the freezer for apple pies.

I'm not sure if I'll see these kind of results anytime soon again, especially those columnar apple trees.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 6:13:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By rcav8r:
Besides the fact that we had an unusually large crop of apples this year, including the columnar trees that hardly produced anything up to now, bagging the apples has done well. 900 bags put on, I estimate 200 bags fell or were removed before harvest that were not put on other apples.
Maybe 50 or so bags that were stuck in tree or had bad apples still attached to the tree.

The vast majority of bagged apples were very good. Probably 75-100 were rejected for bad spots/holes/damage.
So I think bagging apples is a good alternative to spraying,if you don't mind the extra work.

I did wind up throwing 14, 5 gallon buckets of rejects not even worthy of cider into the compost pile, plus the peels, cores, and mashed apples.

Almost 5 gallons of cider, 57 pint jars of apple sauce (plus about 2 quarts worth of leftovers and 1 non sealing jar), 3 half pints of apple butter my wife made, and 12, 1.5# bags of apple slices in the freezer for apple pies.

I'm not sure if I'll see these kind of results anytime soon again, especially those columnar apple trees.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/85434/IMG_20220918_164154635_2_jpg-2533110.JPG
View Quote

I should plant some apple trees.  I miss the ones we had on the farm growing up.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Last night's harvest

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Turned the peppers into jam.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:33:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TribunusSanGeorgii] [#45]
My wife pulled the acorn squash last night. We got 18 fruits from one plant.

Attachment Attached File

We are probably going to get a frost this week. Do I need to pick all my tomatoes and peppers before that or will they be ok?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#46]
We are probably going to get a frost this week. Do I need to pick all my tomatoes and peppers before that or will they be ok?
View Quote

Got down to 35 this morning here in SD.  We covered the majority of our tomatoes and peppers last night.  I did pick everything off 2 tomato plants that had underwhelming production.
We're going to probably pick everything else this weekend so I can start rolling up my soaker hoses and taking down the trellis frames.  I want to get manure tilled into my garden before hunting seasons really ramp up.
Don't want to shovel shit when I could be killing mallards or roosters.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 8:45:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Wrapping up the season here.  Habaneros and Thai chilis were bumper.  Hot Bananas and Fresnos were much better than last year.  Jalapenos were ok, not as good as past two years.  I canned 15 pints, should last most of the winter.  Tomatoes were pretty good this year as well.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Pulled everything down over the weekend.  spread 25 gallons of cow manure and ran the tiller over everything twice last night.  Might be the first time my backyard neighbors have ever smelled cow crap in town.  
Have 5 gallons of green tomatoes and a gallon of assorted peppers to ripen for one last batch of salsa.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 5:55:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vim] [#49]
Doing mostly cleanup now.  Tomatoes and peppers are still going, and the herbs.  Surprisingly, the basil didn't bolt at all; still good.

Thinking about what actually happened in the garden, it would seem I had a late/cool season.  I still have basil?  In October?  The raspberries came late, and today was "pull the carrot bed" day.  I have more small ones than I like, this year.  Peeling a couple gallons of tiny carrots will drive me crazy, so I'm considering just scrubbing them, taking off the ends, and handing them over to my vitamix, skin on.  Then I guess a large batch of carrot ginger soup will be bound for the freezer in meal-size portions.

I had a crazy-big crop of apples last year; this year was ... not.  Peas were really good; lettuces are always good.  This was a pickle year, so I had about 20 feet of pickling cucumbers running up a V of stock panels.  Plenty of jars and varieties were put away.  Any onions, garlic, or herbs came from the yard, so that was satisfying.

Best outcomes:  the Amish paste tomatoes produced more than any San Marzanos or Romas I've grown, so I think that's a new staple.  And the basil -- holy god what output.  We make pesto, which freezes well, so ... .
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#50]
End of season peppers, tomatoes and onions make fantastic pepper steak:

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 17
Top Top