Posted: 11/11/2021 10:56:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:06:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#1]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

I don't.  Most sod that I'm aware of is fescue, with a little bluegrass mixed in just to knit it together.   I don't know of anyone who grows straight bluegrass, and certainly not the provista.

Is your yard truly that bad?  I would just kill the spots with the weedy grasses, and sow seed there, plus overseed.

I would do that with a fescue though, not a bluegrass.  If you LOVE bluegrass, there are a number of very good bluegrass seeds available (you want a blend of three or more varieties).   Bluegrass is very expensive (fescue is too right now) but it's worth spending the money on good seed.

ETA:  Be AWARE that if you put prodiamine down on your entire lawn, you will need to break up the pre-emergent barrier EVERYWHERE EVEN IF YOU LAY SOD.

Prodiamine works by root pruning.  It stops the radicle (first seed root that emerges during germination) from growing almost as soon as it emerges.  This effect is active against newly laid sod, as well.   So in your case, if you're going to resod the entire yard, (or reseed the entire yard) you need to either wait, or cultivate the entire thing.

I would spot kill, cultivate those spots, and spot seed, then overseed once the pre-emergent has worn off.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SWIRE:

I'm starting to think I would be better off killing off everything and starting over.  Do you know anyone that installs the Scott's Provista Bluegrass sod?

I don't.  Most sod that I'm aware of is fescue, with a little bluegrass mixed in just to knit it together.   I don't know of anyone who grows straight bluegrass, and certainly not the provista.

Is your yard truly that bad?  I would just kill the spots with the weedy grasses, and sow seed there, plus overseed.

I would do that with a fescue though, not a bluegrass.  If you LOVE bluegrass, there are a number of very good bluegrass seeds available (you want a blend of three or more varieties).   Bluegrass is very expensive (fescue is too right now) but it's worth spending the money on good seed.

ETA:  Be AWARE that if you put prodiamine down on your entire lawn, you will need to break up the pre-emergent barrier EVERYWHERE EVEN IF YOU LAY SOD.

Prodiamine works by root pruning.  It stops the radicle (first seed root that emerges during germination) from growing almost as soon as it emerges.  This effect is active against newly laid sod, as well.   So in your case, if you're going to resod the entire yard, (or reseed the entire yard) you need to either wait, or cultivate the entire thing.

I would spot kill, cultivate those spots, and spot seed, then overseed once the pre-emergent has worn off.

A yard full of well watered bluegrass is hard to beat for color and texture.

The yard should have been 100% bluegrass from the last time I reseeded the whole thing which was this time in 2018.  Clearly something has gone very wrong to have the bare spots and invasion of grasses that I do.  The waterline repair in the middle of the yard in late 2019 is responsible for some of that but it was reseeded with bluegrass.  The lawnnut video you posted about the gravel/rocks could be the main cause.  Prior to 2018 I had reseeded with 100% bluegrass maybe 2-4 years prior.  

I messed up in 2018, it was Sept the weather cooled, it was raining constantly so I cut the grass short and hit it with some fertilizer thinking I was getting some fall prep out of the way.  Then the weather went back to what we have no, mid-80s to 90s and no rain for several weeks.  My sprinkler system was down during that time so I didn't water it.  My grass turned a nice golden brown straw color.  

The dead grass sort of worked to my benefit as I rented a power seeder, grabbed the Scotts and another brand of 100% Bluegrass, and used that to reseed along with some annual rye grass just to get some green color back quickly.  The grass kept the soil together and worked to keep some of the moisture in. The bluegrass came up and the yard was decent until late 2019 when the center was tore up for the waterline.

The initial bluegrass was a mix that I put together using the agriculture charts where various varieties were tested in different states and reported on how well they did with foot traffic, drought, disease, color...etc.  I spent over $100 on seed just for my 1,500 sq ft.  

The Provista seed, when I was given a quote for it in 2020 was $20 a pound and they only had 50 pound bags available at the time.  They were supposed to be releasing a 10lb bag but I never checked back and got it.

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 7:42:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I think lawns are pointless. The rich started that shit to show people they didn't need to use their land to grow food. My next-door neighbor obsesses over his lawn. Seeding, cutting twice a week, raking leaves every other day, etc. I don't do shit except cut when it gets long... my grass still somehow looks better and don't care .

Landscaping, flowers, bushes. Pointless too, to an extent.

Grow food
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 8:03:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 9:42:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: vim] [#7]
Originally Posted By DetroitSounds:
I think lawns are pointless. The rich started that shit to show people they didn't need to use their land to grow food. My next-door neighbor obsesses over his lawn. Seeding, cutting twice a week, raking leaves every other day, etc. I don't do shit except cut when it gets long... my grass still somehow looks better and don't care .

Landscaping, flowers, bushes. Pointless too, to an extent.

Grow food
View Quote

Okay, sure, whatever.  Lawns don't work for you.

My landscaping is heavily skewed toward functional.  I grow rainbow chard as an ornamental, for example.  Alpine strawberries are nestled in the beds here and there to enjoy as I wander.  I have herbs and flowers and berries that I enjoy.  In front, only about 1/3 - 1/4 is still lawn.  In back, 1/2.

But that lawn is my indulgence.  I want to walk in bare feet.  I want to be able to lay down and do nothing but look at the sky.  I want to look out my back door and see a beautiful green lawn, uniform, without weeds, without holes in it.  In an imperfect and fucked up world, I have some control over my lawn.  And so it's my own little Quixotic crusade -- the wonderful green lawn.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 4:45:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 10:50:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for bumping this.  One day I will be willing to put the work into a nice law (for certain areas of my property at least).  So until then, I'm learning.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Bumping this.

Tis the season to begin pre-emergent herbicide, and late winter fertilizers.

If you are doing pre-emergent, I suggest prodiamine.  Spray is better than granular (in MY opinion), but granular is okay too.

It is ALWAYS better to stop weeds from germinating, than to try to kill them afterward.

If you are on a pre-emergent program, and you are in zone 6 or south of that, you want to think about a broadleaf herbicide that will take out winter weeds (that will be appearing now through mid-spring) in your lawn.  They are THERE...coming up, too small to see...in your lawn (unless you did a fall pre-emergent.)    So the way to take those out, is at the sign of the VERY FIRST WEED, you do a blanket spray of broadleaf weed control.  

But MOST important, is the pre-emergent.  

Anybody who is interested is welcome to ask questions.

View Quote
I will say, I used prodiamine this year following your suggestion and others as well, and I'm not too happy with it for the bermuda. Had a large surge of POA come in, which will die off with the heat, but also had a spot of Mallow come in decently as well. We are just starting to warm up here and the bermuda is thinking about coming out of dormancy. The soil temp yesterday was 70 degrees, with a 7 day average of 55.6. Hoping the weather holds and I can wake up the bermuda as we are having a memorial service with color guard on the 26th at the house.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 5:19:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: savage1971] [#13]
I would have to look at my calendar at home, but I believe it was early to mid october. Soil temp was at 70 average and the bermuda was just starting to go dormant.

ETA: we did have an ungodly amount of rain this winter. Close to 20 inches since oct if that matters.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 6:49:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#14]
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:06:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#16]
HALP!

I bought a house in East TN last year and the front yard has been covered in moss, I’m just now getting around to taking care of it.
Why is it covered in moss and how can I fix it?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:02:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheStig] [#17]
A new year and new growing season is upon us! Scalped last weekend at 1/2" (will maintain around 3/4") and already tons of green poking up. I may put down the stress blend 7-0-20 next weekend and follow it up with 12-12-12 once it's mostly greened up but I've never fertilized this early in the year before due to the temps being so high already.

I put down my pre-emergent on the 15th but worry it was too late but will see. Will do a second app in about 2 months. Also put down a soil amendment and some Acelpryn for grubs/army worms. Looking forward to a new season and hopefully will get some leveling done this year.

ETA: As a comparison, my neighbor's lawn pictured hasn't been scalped yet and he usually keeps it around 2.5" HoC.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Got pre-emergent down in my yard this weekend again, but looks like it will be going dormant again as we are actually due to get some snow here this week which only happens here about every 25 years. Got half my brother in laws yard scalped down to 5/8 before I smoked the belt on my Mclane. Wont be able to finish it this weekend though between rain/snow and the only nice day scheduled this week, sunday, we are finally able to get my father in law his memorial with a military color guard. Thinking about picking up some revolver to wipe out the dallisgrass and poa instead of waiting for the heat to kill it off.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:16:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#22]
OP, here in VA the temperature is climbing and the grass is starting to grow, along with a ton of weeds.  It will be 80 tomorrow and then back to highs of 50's for the next week or so.  Could I spot spray for weeds using something like Image weed killer, or something similar.  It says to use with temps above 60 and lower than 90.

Link Posted: 2/22/2023 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Its cool season grass.  Mostly fescue.   Its mostly shady with trees all around the outside and moss is starting to creep into the grass near the trees.   When I've seeded lately, I've put mostly this down:   Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed Dense Shade Mix for Tall Fescue Lawns

Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:09:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#25]
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:32:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#26]
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 10:53:02 PM EDT
[#27]

I saw that weird weather for you.  Watching Ryan Hall Y'all on youtube today while I try to get some things done.

Won't bother the pre-emergent unless you get a goose drowner like the ones you had this past winter.  

Will be interested to see what happens.

You do know that your pre won't touch any perennial or biennial weeds (on their second season) right?

So we all normally have to put down some kind of broadleaf and/or grassy weed killers because of those--at least at first.  I'm guessing it's your back field that would have the issues, since you had your front pretty much looking awesome.

View Quote
Yes, it's on my field, front is doing well, I got my one little spot of fungus under control and limited it to the square foot I removed. Just threw some seed down this weekend and covered the spot in pete moss, probably a little early but it looked like the weather was going to warm. As to the back, the weeds are far less than after I planted my front and was bombarded with purslane. I was able to keep the purslane under control this past year and only had a handful sprout. Better than the 300 gallons of trash bags I pulled off my small front yard. Overall I'm happy with the field, just need to bump it to the next level before she wakes up, hence why I was looking at throwing down some revolver, it supposedly is the stuff to use for Bermuda, but is damn pricey.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 10:57:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the post about moss.  All if not most of the trees near the edge of my lawn are mature oak trees or popular.  The house was built in the middle of the woods and only a small area was cut out for the house and lawn.  

I believe the weeds are chickweed as they now are starting to grow with white flowers on top.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Looking really good.  I should be putting down pre, but it's freaking WINDY here like crazy.  I may miss my window, which means I'll be doing a lot of extra work for customers this year.  

Working around the weather this season so far has not been fun.
View Quote

Thanks! I know how that goes but hopefully it lets up soon - better late than never.

I've been wanting to try Specticle FLO pre-emergent for fall apps but it's a bit spendy. Any experience with it? I mainly just use Prodiamine which works okay but still get some weeds that pop up here and there in the winter.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 9:24:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 9:33:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 10:56:33 PM EDT
[#32]

@SWIRE did you end up doing anything to your lawn?

I mean, the provista is supposed to be glyphosate resistant, which means you SHOULD be able to spray those weedy grasses without harming your turf, then overseed with provista bluegrass seed.

I didn't mean to drop the ball on this.  Rough last year and I dropped the ball on a good many things, unfortunately.

View All Quotes

A yard full of well watered bluegrass is hard to beat for color and texture.

The yard should have been 100% bluegrass from the last time I reseeded the whole thing which was this time in 2018.  Clearly something has gone very wrong to have the bare spots and invasion of grasses that I do.  The waterline repair in the middle of the yard in late 2019 is responsible for some of that but it was reseeded with bluegrass.  The lawnnut video you posted about the gravel/rocks could be the main cause.  Prior to 2018 I had reseeded with 100% bluegrass maybe 2-4 years prior.  

I messed up in 2018, it was Sept the weather cooled, it was raining constantly so I cut the grass short and hit it with some fertilizer thinking I was getting some fall prep out of the way.  Then the weather went back to what we have no, mid-80s to 90s and no rain for several weeks.  My sprinkler system was down during that time so I didn't water it.  My grass turned a nice golden brown straw color.  

The dead grass sort of worked to my benefit as I rented a power seeder, grabbed the Scotts and another brand of 100% Bluegrass, and used that to reseed along with some annual rye grass just to get some green color back quickly.  The grass kept the soil together and worked to keep some of the moisture in. The bluegrass came up and the yard was decent until late 2019 when the center was tore up for the waterline.

The initial bluegrass was a mix that I put together using the agriculture charts where various varieties were tested in different states and reported on how well they did with foot traffic, drought, disease, color...etc.  I spent over $100 on seed just for my 1,500 sq ft.  

The Provista seed, when I was given a quote for it in 2020 was $20 a pound and they only had 50 pound bags available at the time.  They were supposed to be releasing a 10lb bag but I never checked back and got it.

@SWIRE did you end up doing anything to your lawn?

I mean, the provista is supposed to be glyphosate resistant, which means you SHOULD be able to spray those weedy grasses without harming your turf, then overseed with provista bluegrass seed.

I didn't mean to drop the ball on this.  Rough last year and I dropped the ball on a good many things, unfortunately.

I have not done anything with the lawn.  I had applied the product to kill off the nutsedge, which got a lot of it but it had a pre-emergent in it as well.  Then if other grass was clumping fescue it meant there were at least 3 different unwanted grass types in the lawn.  At this point I'm not sure how much bluegrass is even left.  I wrote it off for the fall/winter.  I did contact Scott's about the Provista Bluegrass but they no longer sell it directly.  I need to go to one of their dealers to see about getting it.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 11:50:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:03:28 AM EDT
[#35]

FYI:

I spoke to a buddy who sods AND seeds ProVista bluegrass.  He says if you are overseeding an existing lawn, it's fine. But if you are seeding from scratch, he wouldn't do it.  It takes SO LONG to come in....longer than regular bluegrass.  The full three weeks or more to get germination.

And that's going to lose you a LOT of seed.  

So if you're doing sod, that's great.  But if you are seeding a large area, he does not recommend it.
View All Quotes

I have not done anything with the lawn.  I had applied the product to kill off the nutsedge, which got a lot of it but it had a pre-emergent in it as well.  Then if other grass was clumping fescue it meant there were at least 3 different unwanted grass types in the lawn.  At this point I'm not sure how much bluegrass is even left.  I wrote it off for the fall/winter.  I did contact Scott's about the Provista Bluegrass but they no longer sell it directly.  I need to go to one of their dealers to see about getting it.  

FYI:

I spoke to a buddy who sods AND seeds ProVista bluegrass.  He says if you are overseeding an existing lawn, it's fine. But if you are seeding from scratch, he wouldn't do it.  It takes SO LONG to come in....longer than regular bluegrass.  The full three weeks or more to get germination.

And that's going to lose you a LOT of seed.  

So if you're doing sod, that's great.  But if you are seeding a large area, he does not recommend it.

Yeah, bluegrass is hard to get growing especially in the spring.  I had some started last year and then cut back on the watering, it died.

Would you be able to ask your buddy what 1,200 ft of ProVista Bluegrass sod would cost?  Both for just the sod and to have it installed.  My front yard is tiny. I haven't found any accurate pricing on the sod.  The seed use to be $20 a pound and the smallest bag they would sell was 10lb, that was a few years back.  

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 3:39:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for the lengthy reply on moss and chickweed.  Here are a few photos of what I believe is chickweed and an overhead view of my house.  I'm not too concerned with moss, I guess the outcome I'd like is get rid of most/all of the weeds.  I do have speedzone, but I think it wasn't as effective as when I used the IMAGE concentrate.  If you say the Image will harm/kill the fescue, I'll refrain from using that going forward.   Any suggested grass seed to use?  As I said before, I was using either Scotts Sun and Shade or Dense shade.  

1st photo of Chickweed, you can see the white flowers.
Attachment Attached File

2nd Photo
Attachment Attached File

Overhead of house.  The areas in black are at least 50% moss and while there is moss in other areas, it isn't as bad.  The backyard is a bit bigger but it gets a lost more sun so the grass it pretty good back there.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Well, it looks like my pre-emergent application a week ago was all for nothing. Just under 7 inches of rain from thurs to saturday night, had a break sunday and now back at it again until wednesday.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 5:05:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheStig] [#40]
Originally Posted By savage1971:
Well, it looks like my pre-emergent application a week ago was all for nothing. Just under 7 inches of rain from thurs to saturday night, had a break sunday and now back at it again until wednesday.
View Quote

Yesh, hopefully you get a break from the deluge soon enough. Might have to look at putting down a fungicide to go along with your re-application of PE .

Put down 7-0-20 in my front yard today (back is still 90% dormant and winter weeds). Hopefully the predicted hail and severe weather from NOAA for tomorrow doesn't blow or wash it away but will see.

As an aside, I found this handy page with various calculators some of yall might find useful.
https://www.lawndork.com/lawn-calculators

PGR time?
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 8:40:53 PM EDT
[#41]

@FBATFE

sorry I'm just now seeing this.  Been offline a lot lately due to work and a health issue.

You probably have a moisture problem in that front yard.

Tell me what the drainage is like on your property?

View Quote

Thanks for the reply!

It’s definitely not a drainage issue, this is at the top of my yard with a 5-7* slope towards the street, plenty of sunlight and only one tree at the top.
It has slowly starter to take over the yard since the purchase.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 7:50:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 7:51:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 7:51:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#45]

@savage1971

I hate to say it, but Prodiamine is cheap.   Put some more down.  
View Quote
I'm going to. Was going to do some this weekend, worked saturday, walked out the door Sunday to start yard work and it was raining. I was outside 45 min earlier and it was nice, was raining again this morning as well. Going to have another big tropical storm pushing in next weekend, supposed to dump another 4ish inches.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 12:10:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FBATFE] [#46]

@FBATFE

sorry I'm just now seeing this.  Been offline a lot lately due to work and a health issue.

You probably have a moisture problem in that front yard.

Tell me what the drainage is like on your property?

View Quote

Thanks for the reply!
My house is at the top of a hill and this issue is in the front yard which is sloped nicely starting at about a 2% grade at the top of the yard then about 6% continuing to the street.
Drainage doesn’t seem to be an issue as everything is decently manicured and only one oak tree in the yard.

Here is a picture of the yard. Black out line of the yard with arrows for the slope direction.
White highlights is the area of the moss.
Thanks for the help!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 5:58:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Lesson learned: During an abnormally warm winter, even with freezing rain/sleet and a few hard freezes, Bermuda does not necessarily go fully dormant and thus one should avoid spot spraying Glyphosate for winter weed control.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 11:56:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 11:57:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 1:16:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheStig] [#50]

Oh no.

How bad is it?
View Quote

It's bermuda so it'll be fine - will just look ugly for a little while longer until it recovers. A good bit of it is still coming out of dormancy but you can plainly see the circles that look like spring dead spot are where I went a little crazy with the 41% glyphosate. I dug up a few rhizomes in those areas and they are light colored with green poking through so definitely not disease or fungus, just really stunted growth but no worries! I'm going to cover my shame later this month with a sand level and hit it with some 21-0-0 Ammonium Sulfate

For comparison, my driveway vanity strip is still almost 100% dormant. I should look into hardscaping this whole strip so I can stop fighting with tree shade thinning and the one neighbor that cultivates everything but ornamental grass in her front yard.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top