Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2017 4:28:33 PM EDT
So I want to get into archery, both for just shooting and for hunting. I have shot bows before, though I far from experienced. I want a traditional bow because I am looking for honestly put the simplest form of ranged weapon. As I know little about it Im hoping to get some recommendations to go try. I would be going for something in 50lbs range (yes I can draw that and hold it) and for instinctive shooting. Im hoping to be in under $500 for the bow.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:49:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dbd870] [#1]
The Samick Sage is a good place to start. Southwest Archery is a company started by the guys who designed the Sage. They have come out with the Spyder, which is a redesigned Sage. That would be another option. The Bear Grizzly makes for a solid place to start as well. Of course the advantage of the 3 piece is the ability to change limbs. There are very few people who can really handle a 50# bow starting out I don't care how young and strong you are. You really want to work on form and technique so you are very consistent every time. I suspect you would be doing yourself a big favor by dropping that by 10#
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:30:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I say I can handle it because I have shot 50# bows before, but I would revisit the draw weight by renting a bow at a local range before committing. Also given my profession as a heavy duty truck mechanic, I regularly throw around large amounts of weight in manners that use the smaller stabilizer muscles most people dont use but would be critical to archery. But I will be sure to "double check". Thanks for the ideas too I have been looking at Bear bows, dont know why just felt drawn to them.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 5:16:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out the classified section of Stick Bow.  I've seen Black Widows from 500-700.  Come visit my club nd make your own bow at the TN Classic held each year.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 9:54:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dbd870] [#4]
When people put Widows up for $500 my willpower gets very weak!  I had a chance to buy a 50# for that price and I barely escaped - if it was 40-45# I would have been hooked!
Top Top