Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2023 9:26:42 PM EDT
Riflemen,
Case annealing 308 Winchester, once-fired Lapua brass, …
I shoot 44.0 gr. Varget under a 175 gr. Sierra TMK.
I’m full-length resizing in Redding match dies.  I realize this sets the shoulder back further than absolutely necessary, but I shoot several different 308 Win rifles and I need my handloads to be usable / chamber in any of my rifles.  
I have the $100 Anneal Rite (very manual) case annealing system using x2 propane torches.  I use Tempilaq 750F liquid detection fluid.
Question: How often do I really need to case anneal to avoid cracked necks?  Every 5 shots?  Every 10 shots?
I ask, because case annealing is a LOT of extra work, and time.  I’m trying to avoid buying the motorized carousel annealer.  - CS
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 9:38:28 PM EDT
[#1]
For my blasting ammo, I will anneal every 2nd or 3rd reload..On my precision stuff, and any protection/defensive type ammo, it gets annealed at least once every firing, some get annealed twice per firing, just depends on what I see/feel when I size  it....
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I've heard on lapua brass do it in the fifth sizing.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:45:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#3]
I have some Federal cases (FC 308 Win) (that I have never annealed) that have 10 or more firings on them.  I have retired several cases in that group for loose primer pockets and incipient case head separation but I have never had a cracked neck.  If you are pushing the shoulder back more than optimal for 1 rifle (to get multiple rifle compatibility), I would think that ICHS would be a bigger problem than cracked necks...

NOTE: I use a resizing die with a neck bushing chosen to NOT OVER-SIZE the case necks.  The expander ball has been removed from my sizing dies.

YMMV...
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 5:25:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I anneal every time. It's not that difficult.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 9:19:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I also anneal every reloading cycle.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:36:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By DevL:
I anneal every time. It's not that difficult.
View Quote

Originally Posted By Reorx:
I also anneal every reloading cycle.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top