Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/9/2003 10:33:25 AM EDT
I've finally got around posting my KB issue with my bushy. I need some opinions.

I've put about 6000 rounds of XM193 and Q3131a over the last few years.

I went out on a limb and ordered 2000 rounds of Igman new production SS109, big mistake.

Here are the results.
208.161.103.89/images/upper-damage.jpg
208.161.103.89/images/pin-holder.jpg
The bolt is messed up as well as the cam that caused the damage to the upper.

I was at first unsure of what happened, but after looking at my spent cartridges and finding this, I knew I was on to something.
208.161.103.89/images/missing-primer.jpg

Then I took the bolt out of the upper and then it was all too clear what happened.
208.161.103.89/images/Bolt-primer.jpg Look familiar? Yup it's the primer from the missing cartridge shown above.

Here's another clue, look at the primer of the blown up cart. 208.161.103.89/images/blown-cart.jpg

So it's pretty clear, primer stuck to bolt and then when next round chambered the headspace was off and the stuck primer acted as a firing pin. The primer wasn't just on the outside of the bolt; it also found its way into the firing pin hole.

I shot about 100 rounds that day of this igman stuff before this happened. If my rifle was at fault, the only thing I could see causing it would be the firing pin. Well here it is.
208.161.103.89/images/firingpin.jpg looks good to me.

I've contacted aim and I still haven't got an answer from them. They claim they are talking with the importer and the importer is "testing" the lot to see if it's an issue with their ammo or my AR.
We all know where that will lead.

Anyone have any opinions of this??

The rifle is a 20" bushy flattop.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 10:43:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd start by calling Bushmaster too , just to have a case or whatever open when AIM tells you its must of been your rifle.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 10:51:43 AM EDT
[#2]
ANGST's recommendation is a good one.  Is the damage to the upper sever, meaning the upper is unusable?  Can Bushmaster look at the rifle and determine if it's okay to shoot, or can they repair it?

Every KB I hear people describe it always seems to come down to an ammo problem.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 11:16:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I sent an email to AIm again right before I posted this and they said they're going to make it right.

The details are being worked out now as we speak. A new upper and bolt. My 2000 rounds and my friends 2000 rounds will also be re-funded(or better be refunded is what I should say).

As far as the pics, that's my canon S330 elph. I thought they were crappy, cause the light source is a crappy 60 watt bulb but they really don't look too bad.

BTW, the day my AR blew, my right head cracked on my chevy 4.3. So in one day My engine blew and my AR blew. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 1:12:52 PM EDT
[#4]
That sucks. Lost your motor and your weapon in one day. It seems like you got it worked out though. Dump the ammo if they won't refund it. I wouldn't fire another round of that ammo through any rifle.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Yikes!  Thanks for taking the time to post pics.

How did your lower fare?  I assume the mag blew out the bottom?  Any bulging to the magwell?

Check it carefully.  They may owe you a new receiver as well.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 3:23:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Sent you an IM regarding possible trade.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 5:05:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yikes!  Thanks for taking the time to post pics.

How did your lower fare?  I assume the mag blew out the bottom?  Any bulging to the magwell?

Check it carefully.  They may owe you a new receiver as well.
View Quote

Good friggen point.

I'll check that.

BTw, I dropped the new engine yesterday and the only thing left to work out is trouble code 43.

Link Posted: 10/9/2003 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#8]
If they DO in fact make it right, I suggest you go out of your way to thank them-- maybe send them a personal letter of praise for their service. It's very important that we support and showcase good businesses that are out for their customer's best interests. Best of luck to you & keep us posted.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#9]
DAM...sorry to see this happen. Did you get hurt at all? Thanks for the post and heads up. If you don't get things made right let them know that many eyes are watching for the results and keep us posted.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#10]
If there was a company who would make this right, it's AIM. They are a top-notch company and tend to bend over backwards for their customers.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 9:12:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Isn't life grand?

In one day my engine and AR blow up, then another I find out Aim will make it right AND my engine project was a SUCCESS. Purrs like sweet music and already feels much more powerful.

Today is worthy of one of these.. [banana]

I'll let you guys know how far Aim actually makes tihs right cause my friend that was witness(which he usually brings his camera) bought 2000 rounds also so IMO, they owe him also.

Time will tell...

Edited to say: I only suffer minor powder burns and the path of least resistance was down through the magwell. So I'm out a USGI 30rd also.[:(!]
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 8:13:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Aim is making it good.

They're ordering me a new bolt and upper.

I'm sending them my upper so they can take the firsh off and install on new upper.

Good job Aim.

Link Posted: 10/15/2003 9:23:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Check Your knock sensor and your timing
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 12:03:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought 1000 rounds of the same. So far about 400 rounds thru not a problem that I can tell. Any idea why i can't get the images to load, curious to see what it did to the gun. If you do find ou t its the ammo please throw a post up on the board or im, cause i don't want to be feeding something that is going to screw up my rifle.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Aim is doing real good and purchased a brand new fluted upper from bushmater, all it need is handguards.

I'm going to just put that on and use my KKF barrel on my next project.

GJ Aim.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Check Your knock sensor and your timing
View Quote

I missed your response, but you were correct, it was the timing.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 9:09:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Received my new bushmaster fulted upper WITH handguards.

There was also shipping tags to send the other ammo back.

Aim did good.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 3:34:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Glad to hear they made this right.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#19]
was there any lower reciever damage?
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 3:12:35 PM EDT
[#20]
MillerSHO, that's great news on both counts, the motor job and the upper. Aim has earned my respect for standing by thier product and backing it with excellent customer service. I will definetly send some business thier way in the future.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top