BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/15/2003 9:24:22 AM EDT
Lower your flags to half staff.  I had to destroy an AR-15 today at work.  One of our local knucklehead cranksters had an unregistered AR, and although having a previous felony record, he was convicted of more.  The court ordered the weapon destroyed.
The AR was an Olympic "Cast AR-15".  The serial number appeared to be pre-ban with a letter and four numbers.  The lower receiver was cast and was a piece of junk.  One swift hit with a light hammer and it crumbled like cheap pot metal.  If anyone is looking to save $ and buying a cast lower, I would avoid it like the plague.  
One of my AR's is a pre-ban Olympic with a similar 5-digit serial number.  It is not a cast lower.  I would assume there are duplicate serial numbers for the "cast" models.  Anyone have any experience with Oly cast lowers?
I am assuming I am using the term "cast" correctly.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#1]
"Oh sure we "crushed" that one and threw away all the pieces your honor. Nows theres nothing left we "destroyed" it all"

Link Posted: 11/15/2003 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#2]
So far at work we had to destroy 2 cheap handguns. Used a cutting torch. I hated to do it. When was the last time the judge crushed a car in order to protect the public?

Link Posted: 11/15/2003 11:00:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
"Oh sure we "crushed" that one and threw away all the pieces your honor. Nows theres nothing left we "destroyed" it all."
View Quote

[brown][b]Not everything is a conspiracy Cykho![/b]  Most Departments have checks and balances to ensure [i]EVERYTHING[/i] is destroyed.  My job isn't worth $100 in parts.
I think you know where you can stick your response.[/brown]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
unregistered AR
View Quote

[s]WTF are you talking about.[/s]

never mind, I see you are from CA!
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 11:15:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Oh sure we "crushed" that one and threw away all the pieces your honor. Nows theres nothing left we "destroyed" it all."
View Quote

[brown][b]Not everything is a conspiracy Cykho![/b]  Most Departments have checks and balances to ensure [i]EVERYTHING[/i] is destroyed.  My job isn't worth $100 in parts.
View Quote

Now I am not sure but I think cykho2001 was just joking.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 11:47:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I think cykho was just joking around...I certainly don't think he meant anything by his post. [>:/]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#7]
If it was a joke he should have made that clear. I took it to mean he was questioning WARDOGs integrity and accusing him of being a thief. Kind got me all pissed off and mean. Like when I drink Whisky.

WARDOG, I have been able to save many AR’s, Mini-14’s, Remington 870’s and several handguns from the cutter. I just do a PC 12028 order through the DA’s office and the court. No big deal as long as you do the paper work right. Then enter it through CLETS as retained by your Dept. Every AR we have is a 12028 gun along with 1/3 of our Mini-14’s and 870’s. I would prefer to see them go to auction but that isn’t going to happen anytime soon in the PRK. Retaining them is better than cutting them and saves tax dollars
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 1:22:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
accusing him of being a thief

View Quote

So if I took your AR and distroyed it what would that make me? Would it be ok as long as I was getting paid to do it?

Just a question no ill feelings implied.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 1:50:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
accusing him of being a thief

View Quote

So if I took your AR and distroyed it what would that make me? Would it be ok as long as I was getting paid to do it?

Just a question no ill feelings implied.
View Quote

He didn't confiscate it, and he didn't order it to be destroyed. He is just doing his job.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#10]
when feinstien and schumer give him his next marching orders, which side of the fence will he be on then?Will he just be doing his job?I agree this criminal that had his gun consfiscated should be punished but by destroying his gun you are just doing the liberals bidding for them.This forum is a poor place to brag about it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#11]
did you keep all the pins and springs?  i would have.  sneak that shit out!
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:41:46 PM EDT
[#12]
" Crushed a AR today "..................................I was originally thinking this might have been by a pick'em up truck.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
 I would assume there are duplicate serial numbers for the "cast" models.  Anyone have any experience with Oly cast lowers?

View Quote

Does anyone else have a problem with this?  ARs having the the same serial number would be like two people having the same Social Security Number or phone number; it doesn't happen.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 4:03:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
 I would assume there are duplicate serial numbers for the "cast" models.  Anyone have any experience with Oly cast lowers?

View Quote

Does anyone else have a problem with this?  ARs having the the same serial number would be like two people having the same Social Security Number or phone number; it doesn't happen.
View Quote

You wanna bet?  There's somebody in my local phone book that has the exact same phone number listed as mine.  For two fucking years I had people calling me looking for this woman, and the phone company would do nothing about it even after I complained to them.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:26:25 PM EDT
[#15]
So do you California Gun Grabbers even run the serial numbers of guns you take to see if they have a lawful owner, or just crush em all?
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#16]
In one of my Armorer schools the instructor showed us a pic of two identical S&W .38's with the same serial number. It happens, even in the big shops. The story on the Jennings J22 and the three different manufacturers using the same set of serial numbers for them is another example.

For the record, I do not like seeing any firearm cut up. Fortunately most of the guns I do have to cut are pure shit and are not worth calling a firearm. My department has been VERY open to donating rare firearms that can not be returned to their owners to museums. I have been given great leeway in retaining firearms for department use. The only guns we cut fall into one of the following categories.

1. Firearm is illegal in its current configuration (sawed off shotguns, MG's, ground off serial numbers that we could not restore)
2. Owner can not own firearms and was unable or unwilling to have the firearm turned over to a family member or dealer. I make this suggestion unless the guy is a gang member or something like that. I am not going to make it easy for a gang member to keep his gun so he can shoot someone. Most gang member family are in the gang as well so turning the gun over to dad is like handing it right back to the shit head.
3. Firearm is turned over to us by the OWNER who requests that we "Do what ever you want with it." I always tell them to take the gun to a dealer and sell it. I explain to them that at least they will get a few bucks out of it. I explain to them that we will cut it. I want to slap them when they look me in the face and tell me that this is what they want me to do. I get a thrill out of saving those guns when I can. It’s like saving a lost puppy.

You can bitch me all you want. But ask yourself this, would you rather have one of your own (gun lover) in this position or some liberal gun hater getting his jollies cutting everything that came in and not providing alternatives to the owners?

David_Hineline,

I can not speek for anyone else but at my department we make every attempt to return any and all property to its rightful owner. This includes firearms that have been stolen and then had the serial number ground off. If the serial numbers can be raised we follow protocal in having the numbers restamped and the firearm returned to the owner.

We also issue CCW's to anyone who wants one and has a clean record. Not all of the PRK is in lock step with the City of Berkeley.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey, no gripes from me!  It was a cast receiver Oly.  Not a big loss...unless the upper was nice.

However, if the upper was in pretty good shape, could you have swapped the upper out for one of the department's most well-used upper?  Would that have been allowable, to swap out some parts but still destroy the receiver and parts attached to it?

You can hammer all the Jennings and other cheapos into oblivion that you want, too.   While I'm all for the freedom to own any firearm you want, I can't imagine why anyone would want such a POS.

CJ
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I may be wrong, but doesn't Oly have a program where you send in a cast receiver, and they replace it with a forged receiver? Then destroy the cast receiver after transfering the SN back to the forged receiver?
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:41:47 PM EDT
[#19]
[img]http://fcit.coedu.usf.edu/holocaust/gifs/14462.gif[/img]
[img]http://fcit.coedu.usf.edu/holocaust/gifs/14465.gif[/img]

I was just following orders.
View Quote

[size=1]this is not a personal attack, just pointing out the direction things seem to be going. [/size=1][rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:50:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes Oly will replace preban receivers with new manuf matching the old serial number.

I guess a crushed receiver sent into them, would qualify as damaged.

That's what I would do with the crushed ones.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:00:56 PM EDT
[#21]
in regards to the SN#'s i have read a post on another site where somone bought a luger or k98 and the numbers came up stolen.  thing is, the letter suffix was not entered so it was not THE stolen weapon.  can't remember the specifics although i believe the guy lost out on the gun.

Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Not for nothing the guy was a convicted felon and I assume the term crankster means he was using,selling,making crank or all 3 and if I am correct a convicted felon owning a firearm is illegal in any state.If it were a good citizen who had it confiscated for not registering it as an assault weapon when that was passed in california,wich I think is bullshit I would have a problem with that but not some convicted  crank head felon.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Inferno,

You are correct. I am an LEO and when a gun is run on NCIC, it does not check letters, only numbers. A gun can only come up as "possibly stolen" A match still has to basically be done by a follow up that the gun is actually stolen.

An NCIC check only raises the flag to alert us to the fact that a gun with that number combination was reported stolen.

Why the system can not run letters...I have no idea. It is probably just an antiquated system that will cost a great deal of money to upgrade or change.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#25]
[/quote]

Does anyone else have a problem with this?  ARs having the the same serial number would be like two people having the same Social Security Number or phone number; it doesn't happen.[/quote]

I've wondered why I never see an ad that says "For Sale - 1994 AR 15 that just missed being preban." They all seem to be just a couple of years old, or preban.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Boy if you were trolling for assholes you sure got a bunch with this one.

Let's see some said you were a Nazi, some challenged your integrity, and some your smarts.

I guess some guys would risk their jobs and careers over a few $$ of parts, but to assume or imply others would is asinine.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 10:27:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Will your Department sell the crushed lower now?

I want it

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 12:27:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:1. Firearm is illegal in its current configuration (sawed off shotguns, MG's, ground off serial numbers that we could not restore)

I don't know the specifics but our E.R.T. commander informed me the ATF was able to give us a new serial number on a rifle that had the numbers ground off. The weapon was taken after the guy held a small city at bay with his AR. I was not on the team then so I don't know all of the ins and outs of the story. I do know it took well over a year for the ATF to return the rifle back to the Dept. with a new number. It may be something to look into if you ever find something that your Dept. could use.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 3:52:46 AM EDT
[#29]
yep we were spared! we were saved by what would been some horrible crime that gun might of done.

Thank you schumer/Fienstein/Arnold for saving
us all I never ever forget you. Thaaaaank yoooou. [hail2]
      [LOLabove]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 4:11:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Destroying guns used by [red]Jews[/red] doesn't bother me all that much. If the numbers are not run to see if the gun has an owner, that's another matter.  If it was an otherwise honest [red]German[/red] that had his gun confiscated and destroyed it would bother me....but this was a [red]Jew[/red].  

Doesn't look like anything "wrong" was done here to me.

View Quote

Do you see what happens when you start to split people up into groups. There tactic is devide and concure, and allot of people are playing into it.

Nothing personal implied. Words in red are mine.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:15:48 AM EDT
[#31]

[u]M4arc & xFatboyx[/u] Now I am not sure but I think cykho2001 was just joking.  [blue]No, I don't believe he was joking. We've been round before.  There is no love lost.[/blue]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:25:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
[blue]
As I said: "...and although having a previous felony record, he was convicted of more."  [b]HE IS A FELON[/b].  I'm confused...you want him to have it back?[/blue]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:27:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
when feinstien and schumer give him his next marching orders, which side of the fence will he be on then?Will he just be doing his job?I agree this criminal that had his gun consfiscated should be punished but by destroying his gun you are just doing the liberals bidding for them.This forum is a poor place to brag about it.
View Quote

[blue]Once again READ my original post.  HE IS A FELON.  You want him to have it back?  [/blue]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:34:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So do you California Gun Grabbers even run the serial numbers of guns you take to see if they have a lawful owner, or just crush em all?
View Quote
[blue]
D_H, your usual tact as always.  Cal. has numerous laws regarding the return of firearms to the owners.  We run the serial #'s when we get the gun, and then again just hours before we destroy them.  If they are stolen we must by law return it if the owner wants it back.  The court will not order a gun destroyed if it is registered to someone other than the defendant, or if it is reported stolen.  We also cannot destroy it within 60 days of the defendant's conviction so they may petition the court for its release if they are convicted of a crime which prohibits them from possessing a firearm.
[sarcasim on]As you know Cal. has [i]blessed[/i] us with additional AW laws.[sarcasim off][/blue]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 2:21:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Lower your flags to half staff.  I had to destroy an AR-15 today at work.  One of our local knucklehead cranksters had an unregistered AR, and although having a previous felony record, he was convicted of more.  The court ordered the weapon destroyed.
View Quote

Any of you want to risk your job and criminal indictment by going against department and court orders, just step up. Otherwise let the guy alone.

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 3:39:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes, if he cant be trusted to own a gun he never should have been let out.

The second made no note of an exception for felons.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 3:47:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Technicly isn't the lower receiver considered the gun? I don't see why dissasembly of the rifle & smashain just that gun would be sufficent. I wouldn't suggest you violate your orders, but the lower receiver is the gun.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:39:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
He is just doing his job.
View Quote

Remember that when they come for YOUR guns.

While I don't blame the officer here, the system is fucked up.
Did the judge order all of this felon's worldly posessions destroyed?

SinastralRifleman, I have to disagree.
I think that Shoot-N-Scoot is right on target.

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:15:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Does smashing the rifle comply with ATF regs? I thought the receiver had to be torchcut into three pieces? Or do ATF regs even enter into this?

Somebody want to link this the "cast lower" thread that was rolling along a couple of weeks ago? [;D]

WARDOG,

Instead of
I would assume there are duplicate serial numbers for the "cast" models
View Quote

Did you mean "consecutive serial numbers"? Some of their cast lowers say "Model CAST" on the side. The SN will also have a CA or SGW prefix.
[url=http://www.olyarms.com/castorforged.html]They[/url] say:
We have made cast receivers on separate occasions, and these receivers have had distinctive serial number prefixes. When we first produced cast receivers in the 1993-1994 era, those cast receivers had a serial number prefix of "CA", which obviously stood for "cast". Our current production cast receivers have a serial number prefix of "SGW" which stands for our old trade name of "Schuetzen Gun Works".
View Quote

There's some good pics of the diffs between a cast and forged lower there.

As for duped SNs I know of one company that sold the same SNed rifle three times and had it logged in their bound books as such.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:17:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Shoot, i woulda taken the upper, stock, guts and everything but the lower.  I woulda destoryed the stripped lower.  Technically the only part of the firearm that the goverment wants destoryed is what...that part...am i wrong.  I mean the ATF says that uppers and parts dont have to have an FFL......just the lowers.  Why not strip the parts and sell them.  see doing your civic duty by destroying shit and making some money too!
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 11:07:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Stealing stuff out of a property room or out of a court ordered destruction probably isn't conducive to retiring with a full pension.  In fact you might just end up seeing your stuff heading for the crusher or being sold by your family to support themselves or to get bus fare to Pelican Bay.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 11:32:13 PM EDT
[#44]
I wont say if what he did was right or wrong, and thats because I have never been put in a position where I would have to sacrifice [b]anything[/b], much less my career/source of income over such an issue.

Now... its just my opinion, but I think that unless any of you have been put in such a position you ought not say what you would have done, or what he should have done. Talks cheap.

PS, please watch all the curse words...
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:37:51 AM EDT
[#45]
i am not law enforcement and i own guns and am jewish and have lost a few relatives 50+ years ago so i would like to add a few cents to this.

in spite of what you would like to believe we have a different system than nazi germany.we have a choice of evils when we vote.legislators make the law, judges interpret and police enforce. the day we no longer have a choice in who to elect and we get a yes/no vote to a candidate we will have a problem.
i know that there is registration of assualt weapons in prk and that no official in there wants to go against it so thats why there such a ridiculous thing as an unregistered assualt weapon. as long as we cant elect people who believe as we do they will give their own enterpretations of the constitution and we will have to wait and hope.

the offender was a felon in possesion of a weapon. i find it funny how everyone on the lib side wants rehabilitation and complete restoration of rights after they get out of prison except child molesters living in their neighborhood and guns.

now wardog wasnt serving the u.n. or some nazi society confiscating guns from peoples homes. he was serving in a legitimate capacity and i would say that i dont care for the implication that by following a judges order you are somehow serving satan.i believe we follow the 94 ban and nfa laws whether we agree with them or not.

if at some point tat day comes officers will have to make a choice to wear the uniform or quit because they dont get the right to question  whether the law should be enforced any more than a soldier does after the oath. someone that is sad about destroying a perfectly good weapon is on the right side
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:32:49 AM EDT
[#46]
I hate to see anyone loose a right of anykind for a reason not enumerated in the constitution.

In my quoted argument above I was orignially going to use the black/white issue but changed my mind.

Most people dont know that many states allow felons to own firearms with the usual exception of handguns.

The federal law has a section to allow a felon to remove the felon disabillity for owning firearms however congress denis the BATFE the funds to research them and the district courts cannot take up the case unless ATF denise them.

So the government has efectivly band a group of people from owning firearms and they get to decide who is in that group.

More and more crimes are becoming felonies these days also.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Scoot-
You do have a point about felonies.  They vary from state to state.  I know some western area states have different degrees of felonies, so in actuality what may be a felony in one of those states would only be a misdemeanor in California.
The direction California Courts are going, it is more like "Let's make a Deal" than punishment and rehabilitation.  There is a section of the Cal. Penal Code, 17(b) that allows judges, prosecutors and DA's to reduce felonies to a misdemeanor.  Now days if you are convicted of a felony in California, you had to work hard at it, or make several attempts.
Our county is absurd.  They hand out convictions for robbery, sex assault, auto theft but make them misdemeanors so our 3- strikes-your-out laws are dogs without teeth.  But that's another story!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:53:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Destroying guns used by [red]Jews[/red] doesn't bother me all that much. If the numbers are not run to see if the gun has an owner, that's another matter.  If it was an otherwise honest [red]German[/red] that had his gun confiscated and destroyed it would bother me....but this was a [red]Jew[/red].  

Doesn't look like anything "wrong" was done here to me.

View Quote

Do you see what happens when you start to split people up into groups. There tactic is devide and concure, and allot of people are playing into it.

Nothing personal implied. Words in red are mine.
View Quote

Well put S-N-S!!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:28:53 AM EDT
[#49]
I'll go ahead and weigh in on this one (I know, dumb).  I can't stand it when people or groups throw around the nazi's in regards to something in the U.S.  I know I have a tendency to be a little bit on the flag waving and such but it really burns my butt when people go around saying we are just like the Nazis.  Micheal Moore (you don't want to know my solution to him) is going around saying Bush is just like Hitler in the early years.  Yeah, I know there have been so many Nights Of Broken Glass since he came in office.  The news reports the operation Iron Hammer has the same name as a Nazi campaign against Russia that was scrubbed.  So the fact that we are finally cracking down on terrorists and a$$holes taking pot shots at our troops makes us murders who slaughter children and kill civilians with wanton abandon. That is pure crap.
 That brings me to this series of posts.  The guy was a felon.  Do I think if you are convicted of a felony you shouldn't own a firearm?  You're damn right I do.  Gun ownership should be ONLY for law abiding people.  You break the law (felony level) then you forfeit your rights to gun ownership.  Maybe that's harsh and sure, I bet there are tons of cases that are exceptions to this blanket law but for the most part (99%) this is a good idea in my opinion.  That's another reason I don't care for many of the gun laws.  If I already obey the law, then why are there all these laws saying I can't own this or that.  If don't already obey the law do they honestly think I am going to pay attention to the various gun laws?  Yeah, I commit crime, but oh, I can't get that gun cause that that would be a crime...please.  Criminals don't obey laws, THE'RE CRIMMINALS!  Anyway, I am getting off topic.  I think what the guy did was just fine.  If you can sell the felon's gun great, but I don't fault someone from taking a gun away from a felon.  To compare him to a Nazi or to insinuate he's dishonest is a real sh!tty thing to do.  He is doing his job.  Don't agree with it, go to the polls and vote in someone who will change the laws.  This is America.  Ok, I'm off my soapbox now. [soapbox]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

[u]M4arc & xFatboyx[/u] Now I am not sure but I think cykho2001 was just joking.  [blue]No, I don't believe he was joking. We've been round before.  There is no love lost.[/blue]
View Quote

oops sorry for my post then. I thought he was kidding
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top