Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/13/2003 10:57:58 AM EDT
OK, so I try bumping my 16" AR stubby, after a successful 17-20 rounds I noticed the weapon stopped firing. The trigger felt like the safety was on but when I checked it wasn't. I took the magazine out and cleared the unfired round, loaded the mag and was able to fire the rest of the magazine. Out of 3 magazines this happened twice. On the 4th magazine I shot normally and it was flawless. Is there something about bump firing that would cause it to jam like this? I know it's a waste of ammo but it was fun and easier than I thought. I was using LC M193 ball 55 gr. Thanks..
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 12:13:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You are absorbing the inertia of the bolt moving causing the rifle to short cycle and not completely reset the hammer.

Don't bump fire.
View Quote

roger that, thanks. My first thought was leaning in that direction and glad to hear someone else say it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:24:24 PM EDT
[#3]
You are overriding the cyclic and firing so fast the hammer is following the bolt and not striking the firing pin hard enough to detonate the round.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 10:28:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Not to mention the fact that.. If someone hears your rapid fire. Cool as it is.. They automatically think.. OHMYGOD A MACHINEGUN!!! And here comes the law after the "concerned" citizen calls, or sees that EVIL black rifle.. I know this all sucks but we live in a society of politically correct idiots who do what Oprah and/or Wolf Blitzer tells them to. (sorry for the bias). Anyway just my .02... John
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:47:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok Gotta ask. How do you do it?
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:51:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Bump Firing = The behavior of an idiot wannabee.

Just buy a cap gun if all you're trying to do is make a lot of cool noise.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 7:34:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ok Gotta ask. How do you do it?
View Quote

[url]http://lifelibertyetc.com/RangeBag.aspx[/url]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#8]
"Bump Firing = The behavior of an idiot wannabee.

Just buy a cap gun if all you're trying to do is make a lot of cool noise."

markm... I see you have over 4000 posts... Congratulations! Your wise helpful words are like music to our ears. Without your wisdom and shear knowledge AR15.com would not be the great place it is.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 12:27:36 PM EDT
[#9]
i love to bump fire but with my sar1 ak47 .. and no one can stop me ... rude comments wont even make me stop ! .. hehe :)
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry my puter will not view that video.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sorry my puter will not view that video.
View Quote

download the Divx video player, it's free
[url]http://www.divx.com[/url]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#12]
While I understand your concern for safety and drawing unwanted attention. The very few times that I have bump fired were done alone and on vast private land where neither were an issue. However to continue in the tradition of responsible gun handling, which I firmly believe in and practice otherwise, I will “nix” the bump firing.[wave]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:25:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Bumping firing is so fun! I will never stop muahahahaha!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey guys,
This is my first post.  Just had to weigh in on this topic.

Anyone here listen to Gun Talk with Tom Gresham?  If so, did you happen to hear the idiot call in that said he could bump fire his AR and hit a 1'x1' plate at 200 yards with all his shots?  Tom respectfully didn't come straight out and call the guy an irresponsible liar, but a highly trained military fellow with years of competition under his belt called in and let him know what he thought.  Very funny.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:08:29 PM EDT
[#15]
better be careful or else you'll only be able to buy pants with belt loops with a class 3 license
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I bump fire  few of my weapons occasionallyy and a couple quite a bit I find it to be alot of fun and as far as a wanna be thats just $H*t
Safety wise I consider myself very safe with weapons and do this only at private ranges or where there is s sufficient backstop for those occasional oopses. Some of us cannot afford to buy full auto's Due to the current market on these and this is as close as we can get.
If you dont feel its safe then by all means dont do it. But dont knock others who do it for fun as irresponsible or unsafe.
As fara as the law showin up so be it Ill showem how its done and letem try it if they like (providing they supply thier own ammo)
theres nothing Illegal about it so what can they say?!
I buy these type weapons for home defense, recreational shooting and competition. What else are they for but to enjoy and have fun with.
Just my opinion on the whole mess
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:52:34 PM EDT
[#17]
If the only way you can bump fire is from the hip...DONT DO IT.

If you can do it from the shoulder and fire the weapon from the position it was intended to be fired from, and also maintain control of it...then have fun.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:33:38 AM EDT
[#18]
It's really easy to shoot a single stage triggered AR from the shoulder almost that quickly. Hooking your thumb into your belt loop and shooting the ground 20 feet in front of you is idiotic. Save up some money from the ammo you waste and buy an M16 lower, for heaven's sake.

~AbM
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:35:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Man, am I pissy today.

~AbM
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:53:30 AM EDT
[#20]
  If this pisses you fellers off then you'll more than likely call the fuzz on me for this. Last night about midnight while the entire town was sleeping, I reached over and RIPPED MY MATRESS DO NOT REMOVE TAG OFF!!!!!!
And yes I bump fire and bump fire often........Muahahahahahahah.

People who don't bump fire= the behavior of a cheap bastard or owner of a shitty weapon not allowing the fun and smiles to occur. Possibly a 3rd answer, a Canadian.

Fireing your weapon like this is totally legal and fun. Some guys thing shooting clay pigeons is dumb or paper targets all day. Who is correct anyway? It's all fun and games.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:35:39 AM EDT
[#21]
I did the same thing with my tag except mine had a bayonet lug on it. We should start a picture thread of all the matress tags.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:45:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Hmm some people think golf is fun?!
anyway cant find a better reason for owning that cheap AK than bumpin
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:03:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's really easy to shoot a single stage triggered AR from the shoulder almost that quickly. Hooking your thumb into your belt loop and shooting the ground 20 feet in front of you is idiotic. Save up some money from the ammo you waste and buy an M16 lower, for heaven's sake.

~AbM
View Quote

That would about $19,000 for an M16 last time I looked. You could save ammo money for a lifetime and not be able to get one. That is just nonsense. Bump firing is no different than other other thrill seeking behaviour, like roller coaster rides or bungie jumping. In the end,  if it has a positive effect on morale, and the person is willing to pay the cost, why not? I'd rather bump fire 1,000 rounds than go to space mountain at Disneyland, and they would both cost about the same.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:05:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

MarkM, Have you ever posted ANYTHING positive on this board?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I am not cheap, nor do I own "shitty" weapons nor am I Canadian. I am someone who remembers that I am responsible for every round I send downrange so I make sure that I do so precisely.
View Quote

Yes me too....Once I Bumped Off a 75 round drum through a Beater AK. Bubbled up the laminate on the wood and ruined the finish on the barrel.(Cheap brushed on Maadi Finished Barrel)
....But Hey I WAS responsible about it I Did wear gloves.  Much to my suprise this weapon still shoots 3 inch groups and hit at point of aim.

....Still Bumpin
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Another reason I am happy to have a 360 acre range that embraces FA, and not believe any of the laquer crap about Wolf and Barnaul at 10 cents a round.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:45:33 PM EDT
[#27]
My name is John and I am a bump firer.

I find that most of the people that say bump firing is stupid or for idiots are those people that have paid $15,000 for their full autos. I realize me bumping my semi isn't real full auto, but for the price of just ammo....it's close enough for me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:58:25 PM EDT
[#28]
It's your gun, do what ever you want as long as it's safe and legal. Or just do what ever you want to and don't post it on here so the "chosen ones" won't have anything to cry about. [>(]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:19:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
"Bump Firing = The behavior of an idiot wannabee
View Quote

Oh, this is such a fun topic!

Ok Jnewt,
Here is a video taken a couple of weeks ago.  One guy is firing a $9000 transferrable Title 2 Colt and the other is a $700 Olympic piece of crap semi out the box.  Dead heat!  Can you tell???

[url]http://www.cetmerifles.com/videos/arrace.wmv[/url]

Bumpin' if fun......slow firing is fun.......pistols are fun.......rifles are fun......IT'S ALL FUN!!!!

Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#31]
it seems like some of these guys are the same guys at the range who power-trip because they are at the range from opening to closing....we all know the type, the ones who spend more time watching you for infractions than actually shooting.  The same ones who want to make sure you know the pecking order because they "put in the time at the range".  If it can be fun and safe than have at it.  There are always going to be people who try to boost their self-esteem by criticizing others.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:02:25 PM EDT
[#32]
I've never tried to bump fire, but how would you do it from your shoulder like in that video?  I actually don't know how to bump fire at all, so any explaination is appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:22:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Wheee, what fun bumpfiring is.  Last 4th of July me and some friends were at the range, three of the guys were new to the ak family and there were two more of us who were experienced bumpers.  After everyone was instructed in proper technique, and permission was asked from the people the next range over, we lined up and FIVE of us did a 30-40 rd mag dump.  Then the three of us with CETME's did the same thing. It was loud, fun, and generated a lot of ooohhss and ahhsss...

My response to the inevetible "is that full auto?"  is "no, but it wants to be!"

To bump fire any rifle, hold the handguard firmly with your off hand, stick your finger in the trigger guard, and pull the trigger into your finger.  The recoil will bounce the trigger into your finger until you are out of bullets. It takes a little practice, and works better with ak's and cetme's/g3's because they recoil more.  A forward pistol grip makes bumping very east from the shoulder, just push the rifle forward, same trigger technique.  Its fun, but it does kinda make us look like hooligans, which is bad.  I will if the range is abandoned or if the other guys at the range look more redneck than me.  :)  Bumpfired a 30 rd mag out of my ak in a suit once, that produced some interesting looks.......
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:28:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted: Bumpfired a 30 rd mag out of my ak in a suit once, that produced some interesting looks.......
View Quote

[LOLabove]

That must have been a sight to see!
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#35]
OK who had the Class three and who had the oly!?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:02:39 PM EDT
[#36]
I once was a prissy high power master shooter and thought bump firing was evil, stupid and wasteful.  Then I met the folks on the darkside.  They told me it was ok and not to worry, so I tried it.  Then I tried it again.  Now I cant stop!  Please help me.  My family wont talk to me, my shooting buddies wont help, they're addicts too.  I just dont know what to do!

Seriously, bump firing is fun.  Yes, you need to be safe - duh, its a firearm.  But as long as you are go for it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#37]
On a similar topic, I have a question.
Have you guys seen the "auto burst" at the gun shows? I've always wanted to know if they worked or not. Do you need a Class III to have them? I'm new to AR's, forgive me if this is a stupid question.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:09:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
OK who had the Class three and who had the oly!?
View Quote

Standing (me) the OLY, kneeling the Colt

We both drilled nearly every round into the target at 25 yards

Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Bump Fire RULES!!!!!,

Buy a AK they bumb much better..Not to mention more reliable...

And oh by the way...Don't tell me what not to do...OK you aint my boss, I will bump if I want...You know who I am talking to....
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:22:30 PM EDT
[#40]
I am betting the guy with the pistol grip on the forend was bumping, could be wrong...
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Any trigger mechanism that claims legal FA is just bumpfiring the weapon for you, and usually doesnt work very well.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#42]
It's nice to see that there are more bumping guys out there than just me and billyxm15 way up here in Alaska. All hail the bump fire!!!
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:05:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Hey rickinvegas I wasnt slamin bump firing... I was was just ragin on dude for making one of his great comments...lol... Everytime I read a post from MARKM he is always talkin trash...
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:24:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It's your gun, do what ever you want as long as it's safe and legal. Or just do what ever you want to and don't post it on here so the "chosen ones" won't have anything to cry about. [>(]
View Quote

DITTO
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#45]
During my trip to Russia this summer, the guys put me up to bump firing an AKS-74 from the shoulder (the only way I do it anymore) in front of our hosts to see what they thought.
So here I am, in mother Russia, on a Russian range, with a vintage Izhmash 1984 plum AKS-74, the new 60 round experimental magazine, Russian military personel standing by, I beleive even Viktor Kalashnikov (MTK's son) was there that day, and the guys want me to shoot a perfectly good F/A AK in semi-auto mode and still dump the mag....man did they get a kick out of it!
Even had one of the SOBR guys (Rapid response team) learn it on his 2nd mag, and then he was teaching all his buddies how to do it after that! I get to shoot F/A all the time, but I still enjoy a good inertia fired magazine through an AK! It is addicting for sure. The next thing you know you pick up the SVD, dump it, the SKS, dump it, the M1 Garand, dump it,
the AR-15 dump it (some AR-15's are easier than others), the FAL dump it etc....it can get out a hand quick guys....so have fun but be carefull out there!
-C
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The next thing you know you pick up the SVD, dump it, the SKS, dump it, the M1 Garand, dump it,
the AR-15 dump it (some AR-15's are easier than others), the FAL dump it etc....it can get out a hand quick guys....so have fun but be carefull out there!-C
View Quote

Are you sure you were not at a WA Shooters/WAARFCOM event?

I have seen all these and a Saiga 12 Gauge bumped here at local shoots. We have a no Class3 state, so we have to have fast fun any way we can. [i]Some[/i] of us have taken it to an aimed artform and are very very accurate with it! [;)]

While I can/have assembled every part on my AR, and can do so with no aid, Techno cycle wise I am not sure if it has any effect on hammer/bolt timing, but so far in all the countless rifles the only issue I have ever seen was not nearly enough ammo and some damn hot barrels [b]fast[/b]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:12:24 PM EDT
[#47]
hehehee, yea we had a full police spec Saiga 12C
(with the cool flash hider and FAL style Izhmash grip) but we ran out of ammo before the (rather insane) thought of a 12 gauge bump occured to us! Maybe next time! Or just go to WA apparently! It's alot closer than 10,000 miles away from AZ right?

-C
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 12:54:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wannabee like markm. Problem is I like to bump fire.[>(]  What will I do? I guess I'm too much of an idiot to figure it out.[:E]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:51:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Two of my shooting friends are occasionally bump firing fools[:D] One in particular bumps every damn semi he owns, including an 1187 12 g. These guys also like bumping off a nail in a beam roof support on our range. More rigid than your finger. I personally have no interest in bumping. I have played with FA a few times and enjoy it very much. Bumping? hey, if you are doing it safely, have at it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Another international story...I was in Finland in the spring and taught two of the guys there...bump firing around the world.....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top