Page / 2
Posted: 5/28/2004 10:21:18 PM EDT
My weapon:
Weapon: RRA M4-gery
Sights: Aimpoint 5000 co-witnessed w/ BUIS
Ammo: Q3131A 55gr fmj
Zero: 50/250yards IBZ
Backup sidearm: Sig P226 Sport Stock loaded w/ fmj
Field Optics: Bushnell Laser Range Finder & compact binocs.
Camera: Canon SLR Digital

Chris's (my hunting bud) weapon:
His grandfather's WWII M1-Carbine w/ iron sights w/ 30rd mag (still shoots great)

I wanted to get some hog for Memorial weekend barbeque, also wanted to test out the Q3131A performance on Texas sized hogs. Booked a hunt, and we're good to go.
We were in a 2-man stand by 5:45am over a feeder,  Chris never hunted hogs before, so he wanted to stick w/ me instead of going to a different stand by himself. I hunted hogs w/ .308Win & .44mags in the past, this is a 1st time for 5.56 round hy.gif The feeder was lasered in @ exactly 48 yards from stand, so my POA = POI.
7am, the feeder kicks off, but no hogs for an hour. Suddenly a lone 190# Russian boar comes in @ my 4o'clock. He's now under the feeder eating corn, and I only have a quartering shot. Waited for about 2 minutes for a broad shot @ the head, but the boar isn't turning. Can't wait any longer, I decide to take the quarterigng shot. Put the red dot @ the base of the head, just behind the the left ear & sqeezed one off - KARRRACKKKK. Entry wound was @ base of left ear, 2.5" exit wound was opposite side @ cheeck bone under the right eye. The boar dropped like a ton of bricks. WoooHooo.
  I got out of the stand & ran within 10yards of the boar, he still laying on his side convulsing, so I did the humane thing and put one more round @ the chest/heart/lung zone. That round made heart/lung soop, and exit wound was 3.5" exit wound thru the spine. He's in hog heaven.
While taking pics w/ the boar, I noticed a rabbit preparing to charge from 15yards. I had no choice but to draw my side-arm and dispose of the threat, 1 round thru the belly - Wabbit stew h.gif
After dressing& quartering, of my boar, the temp was in the high 80's, so the hogs are prob. bedded down in the shades now.  So waiting in the stand would prob. be useless.
  We've decided that Chris & I would spot & stalk Chris's hog. After 2 hours of glassing & walking the semi-thick foliages in this heat w/ backpack & rifle, this 36yo family man is thinking, I am getting too old for this hru   We approached within 25yards, we had good covers, Chris is going to take the largest of the two. We tried to be as quiet as possible, but the hogs heard us, they both looked in our direction, I told Chris to take the frontal head shot now, aim 1" high. He kneeded, and let one rip. The bullet hit under the eye @ the snout, went thru the mouth & throat, destroyed the heart & lung & dissappaered into the intestins. Perfect shot, that sow dropped where she stood. The sow was still convulsing, he put a finishing round in the heart & lung, exit wound was opposite of body. This 175lb sow was done.
An awesome hunt, and we're ready for barbeque & beer he

http://img14.photobucket.com/albums/v43/5906TswBaby/Ar15HogHunt/hog1.jpg

http://img14.photobucket.com/albums/v43/5906TswBaby/Ar15HogHunt/hog3.jpg

Notice enrty wound @ base of left ear.
http://img14.photobucket.com/albums/v43/5906TswBaby/Ar15HogHunt/hog4.jpg

Chris w/ granpa's WWII M1 posing w/ my boar.
http://img14.photobucket.com/albums/v43/5906TswBaby/Ar15HogHunt/hog2.jpg

2.5" exit wound @ opposite side of head of my boar, Q3131A very effective:
http://img14.photobucket.com/albums/v43/5906TswBaby/Ar15HogHunt/hog5.jpg

3.5" exit wound of coupe de-grace round of my boar, notice the 3-4 ribs & spine is snapped hock.gif
http://img14.photobucket.com/albums/v43/5906TswBaby/Ar15HogHunt/hog8.jpg

Chris's Sow:
http://img14.photobucket.com/albums/v43/5906TswBaby/Ar15HogHunt/hog6.jpg

http://img14.photobucket.com/albums/v43/5906TswBaby/Ar15HogHunt/hog7.jpg
Link Posted: 5/28/2004 10:58:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Well done.  Those are some awesome pics.  Someone is going to be having ham sandwiches for days.  Nice to see some real world testing of M193 ball too.  

BTW, that is a nice looking AR.
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 12:03:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Good job, and as a bonus, fingers were off the trigger in all photos (extra points for proper safety).  Where in TX are you at?  I wouldn't mind shooting some boars sometime.
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 12:09:01 AM EDT
[#3]
It isn't extra points for doing things right, it is only negative for doing them wrong!

Nice write up, and good pics.
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 4:43:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Awesome! Great hunt and great pictures! Looks like you fellas had to much fun.
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 5:04:42 AM EDT
[#5]
In a tree stand over a feeder ? Doesn't seem very sporting  Makes for a tasty BBQ though
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 6:36:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks gentlemen.

Tangeant:
I may agree w/ over feeder maynot be too sporting, but in Texas, most hunts are done over feeder, or bay dogs catching a hog and the hunter walks up to the hog and knife it or shoot. Spot & stalking a true wild boar, a shooter may never get close enough unless some thick woods, and high luck is on the side of the hunter. An open range w/ long distance shot, many hogs don't stay out in the open when the sun's up, they don't like heat. Many ranch owners/hunting ranch gives shooters certain options, and you pick what's given.

Stovepipe:
I am in the DFW area, but drove about 1.5 - 2 hours NW of DFW to the hunt, I enjoy taking friends who never hunted besides punching holes on paper, after that the addiction starts.
IM me if you're ever interested in a hunting buddy on a hog hunt, I am always up for it when time permits, and wife & baby allows me to go h
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 6:54:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice hogs.  I have contracts to kill hogs and yotes on several ranches in NE Texas.  The populations have been booming in the last two years.  Both the yotes and hogs have been killing cattle lately.  

I use an AR and hunt mostly at night with NV and suppressors (legal for varmints...not game animals.)  65gr SGK's work great both yotes and hogs.  No feeders necessary.  They are so plentiful right now, you really don't need one.
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 7:25:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 10:01:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Awesome post.  I knew that there wasn't some sort of mythical bullet-proofness of a wild boar.  Similar anatomical size of a human - good fragmentation range - done deal.
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Man, you guys are making me want to hog hunting now.  I go often when the weather is cooler, but seeing this sure makes me want to go.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 10:31:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Cool pics but I must say those are the first  hunting pics I've ever seen of someone hunting in a wife beater.
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 10:57:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Cool pics but I must say those are the first  hunting pics I've ever seen of someone hunting in a wife beater.

Texas heat & full BDUs don't mix too well w/ me
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Texas heat & full BDUs don't mix too well w/ me
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#14]
nice job an good shooting!

you can use a 30 rd mag while hunting in TX?

so did you stew the rabbit! would have been good with the bacon!
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 11:12:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
nice job an good shooting!

you can use a 30 rd mag while hunting in TX?

so did you stew the rabbit! would have been good with the bacon!

Thx, hogs in TX are considered varmints & pests, you can hunt w/ anything legal, even w/ pre-ban 30rd mags.
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 11:17:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Looks like you had a great time!!!   how was the meat
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 12:28:49 PM EDT
[#17]
You can hunt deer in TX with a 30 rnd mag.  I havent found anything in the new TX hunting regs that prevent it!!  Someone correct me if I am wrong,  but have read it front to back and havent found anything.
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 1:08:44 PM EDT
[#18]
There are no magazine capacity restrictions for semi-auto rifles in Texas...regardless of the game.

The only restrictions apply to shotguns when hunting birds.
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#19]
did you recently watch a movie about a ring by chance?!?!?!

Link Posted: 5/29/2004 3:27:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey guys, how does that wild boar meat taste?  Is it basically the same as farm raised pork?
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Depends on what the boars have been eating.  If they are in grain country, then the meat tastes very much like domestic pork.  But if they've been eating wild, then the meat can be very gamey.  I usually use the hogs to prepare bait for the coyotes.
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 8:35:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Hey guys, how does that wild boar meat taste?  Is it basically the same as farm raised pork?

Here in Germany I eat a lot of wild boar.  I can't discribe it, definately stronger than normal pork  but you really can't compare it. Fried in a frying pan with a little salt and pepper is all you need.  Delicious!!  Even the kids like it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

All the feral hogs & boars I had in the past 10 years have been gamey, sometimes tad bit too gamey... Much leaner than your commercial  pork.
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 9:23:07 PM EDT
[#24]

At this point we're tired, Chris feels he can't take a chance on not making the perfect shot w/ his M1, and losing his hog, so he asked if he could use my AR, I smiled and the AR is in his hands.

OK, so who else besides me thought...

"Yep, Chris will be buying an AR15 before his next hunt"

It's like they always tell ya it'll happen... When "it" comes down, you're gonna wish you had something besides that little (.30, 9mm, or other derided caliber here) you got there...

Excellent story, great pics, thanks for sharing!

I'd promise to share my Armadillo hunt pics, but they wouldn't be quite as impressive
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#25]
very cool

Photos edited because you guys are Special Ops, huh
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 9:45:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
very cool

No Special OPS here, just not comfortable pasting our ugly mugs on the internet
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 9:53:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Sounds like you guys had a total blast. I am gearing up to go on another boar hunt in a few weeks. I am going to take the FAL this time. If I get anything I will post pics.
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#28]
You should have given that rabbit a 5.56mm breakfast.

And you thought the exit wound on the hog was impressive.
Link Posted: 5/30/2004 10:55:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Excellent photos.  I am using this thread to prove to my brother that "the little .223" is damn good if loaded with the right projectiles! Nicely done. I am ecstatic that the bullets performed how we are all taught they should by ammo-oracle! This definitely boosts the confidence in my AR!

BTW Nice Rifle!
Link Posted: 5/30/2004 4:17:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Excellent photos.  I am using this thread to prove to my brother that "the little .223" is damn good if loaded with the right projectiles!hat
BTW Nice Rifle!
hr

Thx, I told my wife the .308Win and .44mags gears will stay in the safe for a while, my AR will be used on many more hunts to come. So much more fun to shoot  the AR, 30rds at your disposal if needed, fast follow up, and impressive wound channel.
I would stay away from soft tip and hollow points, just stick w/ hv fmj, you get the awesome yaw/tumble/and fragment performance. Can't ask more than that from a puny .223  h.gif
Link Posted: 5/30/2004 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Good shooting & pictures, its good to see what the AR can do when hunting

I just got back from my lease, it was the first time I took my new AR out there, I managed to shoot a sow that went 130 lbs, I used a Black Hills 68grn BTHP   I shot her in the neck (50 yard shot)  the exit wound was quite large and the pig never moved, I will be carrying my AR a lot more now.
Link Posted: 5/30/2004 6:41:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
very cool

No Special OPS here, just not comfortable pasting our ugly mugs on the internet

you're nobody until somebody photoshops you ya know.............
Link Posted: 5/30/2004 6:57:38 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I would stay away from soft tip and hollow points, just stick w/ hv fmj, you get the awesome yaw/tumble/and fragment performance.

Have you ever hunted with Win. white box 55gr SP? Now that makes a wound channel. Might not penetrate enogh for hogs but it has it's place, i.e. small close range varmints.
Link Posted: 5/30/2004 8:26:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would stay away from soft tip and hollow points, just stick w/ hv fmj, you get the awesome yaw/tumble/and fragment performance. h.gif

Have you ever hunted with Win. white box 55gr SP? Now that makes a wound channel. Might not penetrate enogh for hogs but it has it's place, i.e. small close range varmints.

No I haven't, but I do agree .223 SP is good for close range varmint, but may not have the penetration for med-large hogs. 223 SP can only mushroom show much,  and once it mushrooms, the weight is transferred to the front of the bullet, then it will not yaw & tumble like the fmj.
Link Posted: 5/30/2004 11:27:33 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
you're nobody until somebody photoshops you ya know.............

I wouldnt want him to be a nobody.......

Link Posted: 5/30/2004 11:40:39 PM EDT
[#36]
It's legal with ANY magazine limit, as from a game wardons/ buddies mouth a coule days ago.  So load up the Beta C-mag and get to hunting  :)
Link Posted: 5/31/2004 1:11:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Oops....Cant sleep....

Link Posted: 5/31/2004 1:30:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Wow I want to go on hog hunt now.
Link Posted: 5/31/2004 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Lucky bastard! man I wish I could go on a hog hunt. Living in the city just sucks.

Great pics and good shooting.
Link Posted: 5/31/2004 5:55:56 PM EDT
[#40]
I take it it's legal to use FMJ bullets in Texas?

It's legal in NC too but not in SC.

I guess some states ban FMJ bullets for hunting?

CRC
Link Posted: 5/31/2004 6:08:04 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I take it it's legal to use FMJ bullets in Texas?

It's legal in NC too but not in SC.

I guess some states ban FMJ bullets for hunting?

CRC

afaik there are no restrictions on FMJ in TX.  I sure hope there are none, cuz my 1911 shooting FMJ has been very fruitful in the small game department :).  It would be news to me if there are restrictions and I live in TX.
Link Posted: 5/31/2004 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Was this hunt anywhere near Graham, TX?
Link Posted: 5/31/2004 10:42:58 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Was this hunt anywhere near Graham, TX?

It's 2 hours NW of DFW, Chico.

There no restriction on fmj when it comes to varmints, not sure about other game animals.
Link Posted: 5/31/2004 10:52:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Graham?  I graduated HS from Graham....not that I admit that to many people!  :)
Link Posted: 6/1/2004 8:09:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Nice Hog!

I just leased a place just west of Graham (4 mi from Murry on SH 209)- supposed to be a a good hog lease.

Jason  
Link Posted: 6/4/2004 3:06:40 PM EDT
[#46]
It is Illegal to use FMJ ammo on Game animals in Texas, however Wild Hogs are non game animals and can be taken by any means desired.  If you own a flame thrower you can hunt hogs with it in Texas (check for fire codes first).  There are no Magazine restrictions for huntin any game in Texas there are National Game Laws that restrict the hunting of Migratory Birds such as Dove, Ducks, Geese, Sandhill cranes and various Plumers, Sand Rails  and Snipe.  In refference to one comment I read  Wild Hogs are taking your friends cattle?  new born calfs possibly
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 1:41:48 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
It is Illegal to use FMJ ammo on Game animals in Texas, however Wild Hogs are non game animals and can be taken by any means desired.  If you own a flame thrower you can hunt hogs with it in Texas (check for fire codes first).  There are no Magazine restrictions for huntin any game in Texas there are National Game Laws that restrict the hunting of Migratory Birds such as Dove, Ducks, Geese, Sandhill cranes and various Plumers, Sand Rails  and Snipe.  In refference to one comment I read  Wild Hogs are taking your friends cattle?  new born calfs possibly

Where'd you find out about the FMJ restriction? It's not in the hunting pamphlet issued with a yearly license.
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 2:19:50 PM EDT
[#48]
The hogs were great, the AR excellent, but the story!  AR15KittyKat, you should consider writing.  That's great stuff!  +1.  I can see it now; "Hunting the Hogs of Texas with KittyKat"
OLN is waiting!

Great job

The OL will love this.  We had 2 sows and 13 piglets come right through our backyard last fall, while we were watching TV!  Never a gun loaded when you need one
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 2:44:16 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
The hogs were great, the AR excellent, but the story!  AR15KittyKat, you should consider writing.  That's great stuff!  +1.  I can see it now; "Hunting the Hogs of Texas with KittyKat"
OLN is waiting!

Great job

The OL will love this.  We had 2 sows and 13 piglets come right through our backyard last fall, while we were watching TV!  Never a gun loaded when you need one

Thanks BlueDog, but the last thing this software engineer/couch commando will ever pass for is a writer  

Schulze:
FYI: In Texas, there is NO restriction on FMJ even on game animals, only rim-fired ammo are NOT allowed on game animals, this is from your 2004 hunting pamplet.
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#50]
mmmmmm, BBQ spare ribs!

Awesome post, great shot placement...and that is a kick ass M4gery, I like the sight set up!
Newbies take note of where the fingers are (not) in the photos....(nowhere inside the trigger guard)

Great job,
macro
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top