Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/12/2004 7:59:53 PM EDT
I've heard that the Vortex is the best at eliminating flash and will even make the barrel more accurate?  I've also heard the pros talk about phantom as being better as well?  So which one is better at flash reduction and does either one help in accuracy?
Link Posted: 6/12/2004 8:20:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I went with the Phantom after reading everything I could get my hands on and talking to anyone that would sound off.  Mind you, I've NEVER done a side-by-side comparison, but anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that the Phantom provides ~98% of the FH performance of the Vortex for half the price and three times the availability.

Looks like the 5C1 and 5C2 are the best value currently on the market.

As soon as I can directly compare a Vortex to a Phantom, I'll come back here and sound off.  In the meantime, I'm buying 5C2's.
Link Posted: 6/12/2004 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Phantom FS with closed bottom slot
Link Posted: 6/13/2004 5:45:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I also  heard that the vortex is supposted to imrove accuracy?  Does anybody know if this is true?  I purchased both the other day but I don't have the upper complete to try them out yet.
Link Posted: 6/13/2004 6:50:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know if the Vortex helps with accuracy, but my 16" Bushy upper with a Vortex on it will shoot about 1MOA.  Also, the Vortex all but eliminates flash.  My vote is for the Vortex.   Having said that, when the bans goes away I'll have 4 ARs soon thereafter and will probably outfit one with a Phantom.
Link Posted: 6/13/2004 7:30:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/13/2004 8:37:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Both should be banned!

Unless you're building a Precision rifle, any improvement in accuracy from the vortex would not even be noticeable.  Plus, if you use your rifle at all the prongs can bend on the vortex.  I had it happened to an old vortex that I had.

I just use the A2, now.  It's indestructable.
Link Posted: 6/13/2004 8:52:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I chose the Vortex. Since the Vortex has been proven to reduce more flash and has been improved not to spread its tines, why would you choose anything else? Availability? Just goto the Smith website and order it. Cost? Isn't $50 or less worth it?
Link Posted: 6/13/2004 9:00:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I have one of the earlier Vortexs, and I'm happy with it. I am fortunate that after hundreds of rounds, I've noticed no spreading of the tines whatsoever.

The biggest benefit I can see of the Phantom over the Vortex, other than price, of course, is that the vortex is more prone to snag since the tines are open. How PROBABLE it is to snag on anything is not something I can speak to seeing as I've never done a patrol with it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2004 9:14:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/13/2004 9:45:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/13/2004 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#11]
The USAMTU found that both the A1 and A2 FH's degraded accuracy WHEN TIGHTEND TO TM SPECS!. This was demonstrated in controlled testing time and time again. When either FH was installed 'hand-tight' with a drop of blue Loctite for insurance the accuracy difference between FH equipped and non-FH equipped barrels dropped to almost nothing. It wasn't the inherent design of the FH's, it was the fact that the torque used to tighten them to TM specs was actually distorting the muzzle enough to degrade accuracy. Remember that Smith recommends this hand-tightening technique on its Vortex FH's. They say that firing alone will keep them tight on the barrel.

No sense in rehashing the old Vortex prob's - they haven't been made that way in years. Using that old info against the Vortex would be like condemning the M16 because it (used to) foul with ball powder, corrode the bore and chamber, and jam on full-auto operation. Old news!

Use a snap-ring around the front groove of your Vortex if you're worried about it snagging vines on your next search-and -destroy in the jungle (or Kudzu) h-hiding
Vortex = #1
Phantom = #2

And there ain't a damn thing wrong with the three-prong GI for that matter, unless you're a LRRP.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top