Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2004 12:44:33 PM EDT
Does anyone have pics of these mounted to their AR and how do you like them?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:09:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Those aren't free-floats though, are they?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's a free float edition, heavyweight. (thinking of getting out the dremel....)
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:48:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:44:54 AM EDT
[#5]
anyone care to explain how these are indexed? plan on building a very low budget lightweight upper and wanted to know if these hold true, cause i plan on using their front flip site on the tube,

thanks
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:48:57 AM EDT
[#6]
They isn't any positive locking mechanism, like pins, that hold this rail indexed.  This is how I held the rail in proper index so that I could tighten the locknut (located between the rail system and receiver) that holds the rail in place:

A little blue Loctite and alot of torque on the locknut will help to keep the locknut tight.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:02:03 AM EDT
[#7]
i was thinking about doing something like that. thanks alot for the fast response

hey did you use the yhm wrench or can you use..say the dpms wrench for the locking but?

thanks again
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:36:37 AM EDT
[#8]
ive been wondering the same thing maybe a strap wrench  like on a oil filter ? dam now i am going to be playing with guns isted of watching custs in the store LoL
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:09:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I used a large-bladed screwdriver and a mallet to tighten the jam nut. A couple minor marks in the slot where the blade contacted, but they're not noticeable.  The nut is too skinny to use a strap wrench. YHM makes a nice tool just for this task, but it's a bit pricey and probably not worth buying unless you plan on doing several builds.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:11:55 AM EDT
[#10]
well, i have the dpms tool which looks like it would work. the lock nut part on the yhm tool looks similar to the castle nut part on the dpms and the same with the barrel nut side but minus on of  the pegs.  

but then looks can be decieving so i will wait to see if anyone here has used otherwise
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:35:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm not sure if this is the specific FF HGs you're looking for, but here's my YHM set.  I bought an adjustable spanner wrench to tighten it down with.  These aren't budging.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:38:16 AM EDT
[#12]
BrightFlashlights, how do you like the Trijicon scope mounted on the handle?  I know most users here like 'em mounted direct on the rail, but that doesn't look so bad on the handle (I have a neck injury that makes getting low on the rifle tough).  Also, co-witnessing is not an issue with me.

Also, in regards to the YHM railed handguards that replace the facorty guards - do they site tight and secure?  Is there any movement?  Any effect on accuracy?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:46:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm not sure if this is the specific FF HGs you're looking for, but here's my YHM set.  I bought an adjustable spanner wrench to tighten it down with.  These aren't budging.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=29808

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=26524

what do you mean "adjustable spanner wrench"?

btw that is an awesome looking rifle you have there
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:58:43 AM EDT
[#14]
This one's mie. I indexed it by using eyeballing it then laying a straight edge across the flattop. Worked fine.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:34:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I had the same question in regards to build qualty compared to LaRouge or DD.  Price seems better, but am concerned about it moving.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:38:50 PM EDT
[#16]

what do you mean "adjustable spanner wrench"?

It's kind of a wishbone looking tool, with one of the legs having a pivot point and a small stud in the end.  It was pricey, as it cost me $28 at a tool supply house.  It isn't the right tool, as it bitched up the slot in the spanner ring, but I've figured out a mod to it that will work, should I mount another handguard like this.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Here they are on my patrol pig, they are holding up very nice.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Just picked this up from CMMG on Saturday the 18th.  Forend is the YHM "lightweight" free-float, and whoa boy is this setup a lightweight setup!  Excellent value for the money.

P.S. CMMG staked mine in place with a small punch and hammer after it moved on me during initial firing.  Now that sucker ain't goin' nowhere!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:16:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:55:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Nothing like table stakes......
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:24:47 AM EDT
[#21]
hmm i guess ill wait to see how my build turns out.

btw these are some good lookin rifles
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:22:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I recent;y installed a set of the 2 pc handguards.  I can't make 'em move!  They lock up great and do everything I need 'em to do.  

I just qualified with this gun using our issued Eotech mounted on it.  Not a problem.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#24]
For those with the two piece set, how do the KAC panels fit on them?(tight or loose, or to tight)

Mark
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top