Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/29/2004 7:48:03 AM EDT
I've looked all over this site and can't find what I'm looking for.

I have a Bushmaster 14.5" A2 upper with a permanently attached AK brake.  Everyone I've asked says to find where the pin is, dremel the welding that's over it, remove the pin and screw off the brake.  When  I look at my brake I don't see any spot that looks even slightly different from the rest of the brake.

There is a silver sleeve or something inside the brake, between the brake and the barrel.  Is this some other way of attaching the brake?  Here's a picture from Bushmaster's site where you can see the silver sleeve.

Anyone know how I can get this damn thing off?

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/Images/abbl14.5aka.jpg
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:53:43 AM EDT
[#1]
That 'sleeve' is a crush washer that is behind the brake and it is used to align the barke so that it is right side up.

The pin is almost certain to be bottom dead center.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:14:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the quick reply.

Should I just start dremeling away at the bottom of the brake and hope something good happens?  I don't mind if I hack up the brake but I don't want to screw up my barrel.

Are there any other ways to get it off short of sending it off to someone?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:39:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I just followed this procedure on my Colt barrel with a permanently attached brake.  You'll need a Dremel, fiberglass-reinforced cutoff wheels (not the flimsy regular kind), a nut splitter (like this one), a wrench with a section of pipe to use for leverage, masking tape, and some method to mount your barreled action in a vice without damaging it.  

I wrapped the barrel in SEVERAL layers of masking tape to prevent damage if the dremel skipped off of the brake and hit the barrel.  Cut a groove into the brake along the top, cutting all the way through it at the muzzle end.  Cut as deeply as you can without risking damage to the muzzle of the barrel or the threads.  Now flip the barrel over and do the same.  Once you have done this, use the nut splitter to pry the brake apart.  Mine took a fair amount of force, but there was an audible crack and the brake basically fell off of the barrel.  As long as you're careful and patient, this is pretty easy to do yourself.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought there was one person that did the slip maneuver,a nd snagged the crown a bit with the splitter.....there is a post above yours that describes one members removal of that brake on that barrel....

I removed mine on my bench grinder (steady hands) 5 minutes after I removed it from it's packaging I had the FH removed...check the underside the location of the pins will hav discoloration where the weld(s) were reparkerized. Grind on those until you notice the actual pin head
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Tagged, good info.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Did mine last Saturday.  The two pins were located on the sides of the brake at 3 and 9 o'clock.  I removed it by splitting it because I couldn't find the holes.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Die grinder, just short of hitting the threads, turn the front off, then the rear.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:16:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I saw this posted before, and I believe the consensus was to send it an armorer, so the barrel isn't damaged during the 'learning' process.

I have the same barrel and want to go the same way with it

I think I'll leave it to the experts
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:17:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, I looked at it again last night and I just don't see any spots that look different from any other spots.  The "sleeve" in mine is almost completely inside the brake, not behind it.

I'm going to let an armorer do this so I don't hack up my barrel and really piss myself off.

Thanks for all the info folks.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:17:34 PM EDT
[#10]
i have a bushy with the same m.b. but mine doesnt have the washer in back of the brake, and it is pinned underneath. Is my brake slipped and pinned? can i have it removed and threaded for a f.h. and not be permanent.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Lots of links to this topic here
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#12]
 I got my ak brake off my bushy today, it had the visible pin on the bottom and guess what? There are no threads just locktite holding it on along with the pin, got to run to the threader now!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top