Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/30/2004 10:44:39 AM EDT
My RRA Varmint Upper had a black paint-like finish inside the upper. This began peeling off after the first cleaning, exposing more & more of the bare metal. More came off after other cleanings. Anyone else observed this? Considered Normal?
I'm using M-Pro7, followed by drying, and FP-10 CLP.
(this stuff hasn't done anything to my BM Upper)
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:40:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
People have been reporting this from a company called Ameetec or something similar. There should be no paint on a Rock River Upper, should be anodizing which can not peel.

In other words, did you buy this upper from Rock River, or did you buy it from someone who TOLD YOU it was Rock River?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:29:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
People have been reporting this from a company called Ameetec or something similar. There should be no paint on a Rock River Upper, should be anodizing which can not peel.

In other words, did you buy this upper from Rock River, or did you buy it from someone who TOLD YOU it was Rock River?

My thought's exactly.  I have an upper receiver with the Cardinal Forge mark on doing the same thing.  This thing IS NOT anodized, it is painted or powder coated.  See below:

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Got it from RB Precision.
What forge markings should a RRA upper have?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I'd like to know this as well.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:26:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an ameetec upper. Its TEFLON coated over anodized.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:12:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The two that I have had did not have any forge markings and they were anodized.  I do not know if the present production ones have forge marks.  The last one I purchased was a 9mm flattop earlier this year from Legal Transfers.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:17:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:58:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Isn't this the third thread now? There was the other one with the "finnish".
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:38:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Isn't this the third thread now? There was the other one with the "finnish".

I've input into two myself.  I'll say it again:  Whatever process was used to coat the upper in the picture above was NOT anodizing.  Anodizing is a surface etching process, where the surface of the aluminum is acid etched and dyed.  Anodizing may scratch off or wear off but IT DOES NOT peel off.  Paint, powder coat, etc. would peel off like what is pictured above.  I believe I got this receiver off of ebay, sold to me as "milspec".  Obviously, it is not.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:00:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hmmm...  Another one here.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=201699

OK, those pics match my Upper!
Crap, need to call RRA, I guess..
(Never had an issue with my Bushmaster...)
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:39:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I'd start with RB Precision... that's where it came from...

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:55:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Either they aren't RRA part (doesn't seem like annodizing should do that)
Or there was bad prep work done on a batch of uppers (seeing how there are 3 popping up all the sudden around here)
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:58:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Wow, I was bouncing back and forth between an RRA and a Bushmaster for my new no-ban rifle, and after reading these similar threads, I guess it's gonna' be Bushmaster for this new M4 buyer. Sounds like just a small enough reason to tip the scale in the "snake's" favor..  Hmm.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:07:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd start with RB Precision... that's where it came from...

Yes, I'm a bit disappointed in the RRA upper.
I have emailed RB Precision. Don't have the time right now to call them.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Keep us informed of RB's response please
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:59:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

me to.   what does the cardinal forge look like?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:02:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

me to.   what does the cardinal forge look like?

Knew I had one somewhere:

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:16:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I have one of those.  I just got it.  I hope mine is anodized.  How would the outside only be anodized and not  the entire thing?  Are Cardinal forgings good?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I have one of those.  I just got it.  I hope mine is anodized.  How would the outside only be anodized and not  the entire thing?  Are Cardinal forgings good?

Cardinal is one of 4 or 5 forges that are used by just about everybody to build AR uppers; so the forge mark is completely irrelevant in IDing the actual producer. You still have to find out who took the forging and built an upper out of it.

My guess, and it is just a guess, is that it may be DPMS, given the supplier you bought it from.  It might well be an Ameetec, thoough.  Who ever made the thing, I'm willing to bet it was NOT Rock River.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:49:30 PM EDT
[#21]
My RRA upper is annodized inside as well, no wear of that nature on it. Here's another vote toward "misrepresented as RRA" for your upper there.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Got it from RB Precision.

First thing I'd do is email RB Precision.  Those people are excellent to deal with.  If there is a problem they will take care of you.  I have bought 4 RRA flattop uppers from them and not a single one is peeling, chipping or wearing weird.  It sounds like you got a defective part or one that is not a RRA piece.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

First thing I'd do is email RB Precision.  Those people are excellent to deal with.  If there is a problem they will take care of you.  I have bought 4 RRA flattop uppers from them and not a single one is peeling, chipping or wearing weird.  It sounds like you got a defective part or one that is not a RRA piece.hinking.gif

Glad to hear that.  Out of curiosity, I wiped my new RRA A4 upper down with Hoppes today just to see what would happen.  I have used Hoppes on my Colt AR's and never had a problem.  The Hoppes did nothing to the receiver.  It's fine.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:46:11 AM EDT
[#25]
FWIW, I have a RRA upper that was purchased as a complete rifle (lower at same time) directly from one of the dealers here on the board. I have no reason to doubt or even imply that any of the dealers here, RB Precision, Legal Transfers, ADCO, etc, would knowingly sell something claiming it was RRA when in actuality it was not. I have dealt with all and would do so again with 100% confidence.

That being said, in looking at my upper, it has basically the same finish wear inside as posted above and another area where the case deflector meets the ejection port. All areas are a bright silverish color. I checked two friends RRA's, one who purchased his as a complete rifle from RRA direct and another who pieced his together using RRA parts and both have the same type of internal wear to one degree or another. All three of the uppers I checked have what appear to be a "keyhole" marking on the right side of the receiver.

Although I am not worried about this, it would be interesting to see RRA's response to the question, so keep us posted.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Status: No word from RRA yet. I'll give it another week, maybe two?
Maybe my Upper is in the Black Hole of returns?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:06:41 PM EDT
[#27]
This has me worried.  I just ordered my car a4 flattop from  RBPrecision......

Whats the wait on Bushmasters these days?hinking.gif

Its been a little under a month....has this issued been resolved?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:02:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:31:17 AM EDT
[#29]
This appears to be an issue with the RRA finish quality, and I'm not the only one who has observed it.
But, it seems to be a low occurrence. (RBP purchase itself was a fine experience, good communications. I just ended up with what I consider a defective RRA piece.... Now, if I can only win the lottery!)
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:48:16 AM EDT
[#30]
I was looking at one of the new Bushmaster 308s and noticed the same kind of flaking along the edges of the ejection port and the lower edges of the upper receiver.

I asked the salesman about it and he said they all had it.  He showed me another and sure enough, it had the same pattern.

Looks like some failed coating that some vendor is using who supplies to at least RRA and BM.

I'd like to hear an industry insider's explain this new process, and why it's being used.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:02:43 AM EDT
[#31]
I bought a RRA A4 upper from Adco firearms and the finish is coming off on the picatinny rail. It doesn't look like it's flaking/peeling off, but rather looks like scratch marks (same with the RRA charging handle).

I could not find any forging marks on the upper receiver.

My lower is an Ameetec lower and its very high quality. The few scratches I've put on it (from a tool that slipped, etc...) just put a "mark" in the receiver but its still black. The finish didn't come off.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:12:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:42:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Thanks very much Robert.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:47:08 AM EDT
[#34]
My RRA upper is flawless. I would never hesitate to buy from them again. Especially with customer service that good.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:11:36 AM EDT
[#35]
So the main cause of this is form a contamination?  How can that happen to an anodized peice of metal as it doesnt involve conventional painting methods.

The rifles that are being distributed now and in the future will not have this problem anymore i assume?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:12:17 AM EDT
[#36]
I agree. I bought some RRA parts from Krista @ RB Precision and I wouldn't hesitate to go back for more RRA products.

I noticed some more "scratches" on the inside of the RRA upper receiver. It definitely does not appear to be flaking/peeling but rather forced marks from the bolt. Softer Forged Aluminum vs. Hardened Steel.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I agree. I bought some RRA parts from Krista @ RB Precision and I wouldn't hesitate to go back for more RRA products.

I noticed some more "scratches" on the inside of the RRA upper receiver. It definitely does not appear to be flaking/peeling but rather forced marks from the bolt. Softer Forged Aluminum vs. Hardened Steel.

All uppers will show wear from the bolt, this is not unusual.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:39:46 AM EDT
[#38]
John, is that you?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:43:40 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm curious to know how many rounds before this showed up.  I have 47 total rounds thru my new RRA upper and there appears to be a couple "nicks" as well.  Very shiny that I wouldn't think is kin to normal wear, but unsure.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:47:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Well it seems like there are more and more people who r coming forward with this problem.  Question is does this effect the performance of the rifle or is this just quote..."normal"?

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#41]
I think my "wear" is normal, but I thought I'd just add my input in case it was the same type of problem. I've only put 100rd through it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:23:37 AM EDT
[#42]
This is just hearsay but I've heard stories of guys who have used M-Pro7 to clean their VEPR rifles and have had issues with this product eating away the paint on their VEPR's.  I know that the AR is anodized but I wonder if this product could be caustic to anodizing.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:33:59 AM EDT
[#43]
I'll probably go back to CLP only, just in case.....
But, on a sidenote, MP7 has never effected my Bushmaster, in dozens upon dozens of cleanings.
And I don't exactly scrub the upper with excessive friction. Just using patches and Q-tips.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#44]
I have the same problem on a bushmaster upper. Where the pivot pins go through the upper the finish is peeling off. I know its a bushmaster upper because it came as a complete rifle from bushmaster to me new.

None of my other uppers have this problem.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:15:48 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I have the same problem on a bushmaster upper. Where the pivot pins go through the upper the finish is peeling off. I know its a bushmaster upper because it came as a complete rifle from bushmaster to me new.

What's the forging mark on the peeling Bushy upper?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:40:56 AM EDT
[#46]
My Bushmaster has some wear inside of her, but she ain't flaking likes the pictures on the first page suggest. When metal is moving past metal, well, of course there is going to be wear, but the finish shouldn't be flaking off.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:54:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:38:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks Robert.  Even if there is some flaking, will this in any way hurt performance or the life of the rifle?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:02:23 PM EDT
[#49]
FYI, annodizing CAN chip off when the subsurface aluminum is stressed or more commonly, when the metal is not properly prepped before electro-converting.  The pictures above look like poorly prepped parts to me.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:19:06 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's the forging mark on the peeling Bushy upper?

Its a key hole with 3 dots inside of it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top