Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/27/2004 5:22:22 PM EDT
A friend and fellow AR and AK owner keeps telling me that magazines with capacity higher than
30 rounds are illegal.  Any OH folks out there ever hear of that?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:32:16 PM EDT
[#1]
In OH, if the mag has more than 30 rounds, the firearm is considered an illegal machine gun, even if it is semiautomatic.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to the hometown forums under Ohio to get your answer! And they are correct!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Except for .22 cals
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:21:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that the mag that can hold more than 30 rounds is legal.  However when inserted into a gun the gun is considered a machine gun.  Which is fine if it is NFA registered.  However if it is not it is an illegal machine gun.  But the mag itself it legal to sell, own, etc.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Ohio Revised Code 2923.11 (Definitions)

(E) "Automatic firearm" means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger. "Automatic firearm" also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long, or long-rifle cartridges.  

Sarge
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:37:56 PM EDT
[#6]
True, I got busted at the range with my SAR-1 and 40 round mag. They were nice about it and even produced the paper with the law on it. guess they get that alot.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Ohio used to be a sanctuary for gun rights (at least compared to MD, where I"ve also lived).  I guess those days are over.  I've also seen on some distributor web sites thtat they won't ship even 30 round mags to Columbus or Cleveland, so it must be worse there.  SOA
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I appreciate the info, so I shall keep the drum for the AK out of it until absolutely necessary and the same goes for the 40 rounder for the AR.  Thank you fellow OH  GWB supporters!

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:59:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
True, I got busted at the range with my SAR-1 and 40 round mag. They were nice about it and even produced the paper with the law on it. guess they get that alot.

Who busted you? Was this a public or private range? Don't tell me a rangemaster took it upon himslef to enforce such a ridicules law.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:36:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Noone busted me.  A bud of mine told me about the law and I just wondered if he was right.  Of the five ranges I go to most of my shooting is done on my range which is anywhere on the 90 acres my dad and I own or one of my friends' ranges.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top