BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/17/2004 4:26:05 PM EDT
I have been hitting this taper pin on the FSB for 3hrs. and it will not budge. It is polished like a mirror now. I am using a steel punch and 1-2lb. hammers, switching back and forth. Some miss hits are marking the FSB, but I can touch that up with Gun Kote if I can ever get the f*cking thing off. I am trying to install a Larue 7.0 with this new Colt Lwt. 16' barrel and I am at a loss as to what to do. Will Kroil really penetrate into this thing and losen it up. I have no idea where to buy Kroil locally. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 12/17/2004 4:59:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Midway sells kroil. It is a super penetrant, but I am not sure if it will solve your problem.
Link Posted: 12/17/2004 5:06:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you hitting them from the right side?
Link Posted: 12/17/2004 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Are you hitting them from the right side?

From the small side.
Link Posted: 12/17/2004 5:20:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Try heating the FSB around the pins a little with a propane torch. Shouldn't take much, ten seconds of flame tops. You can also use the burner of a gas stove. Also, you may have "mushroomed" the ends of the pins, making them larger than the hole. You will have to grind them off flush to drive them out.
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 4:28:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I had the same problem.  Ended up drilling mine out! NOT RECOMMENDED!
Is one side larger?  They didn't look it.  After a strike or 2 on either side they flattened out and the game was on!!!

It was not a pretty sight on the work bench last night.

Anyway they are out now... lesson learned that ain't no fun.

are they tapered pins?

I tried one from one side and the other from the other side.  Didn't make any difference on mine.

Anybody have a better way let me know.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#6]
A member here sent me a barrel and FSB with a stuck pin and his story was similiar to yours - he had beat on it for hours and mushroomed the pin heads, tried to Dremel the pins flat (on my advice) and beat on the pins some more, with no result.  I had to use a Bridegport mill to get the pin out.  I think Kroil is sort of a mute point right now, as is sticking it in the freezer, or anything else for that matter.  You may need to seek professional help.
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 5:03:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Is one side larger?

Yes - that is why they are called TAPER pins.

Are you using the right punch (one with a dimple in the middle)?

You should be hitting the same side as the Selector/Bolt Release to drive them out.

The ADCO template helps alot - so does the Brownells Hocky Puck.

Oh Yeah - Bushmaster HBARS are a REAL bear.  It took lots of hitting with a 4lb hammer, penetrating oil, and the proper punch to move the pins.
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Is one side larger?

Some of the RRA barrels I have seen have straight pins on the FSB.  Colts and Bushmasters are taper pins for sure.
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#9]
These did not appear to be tapered, that was what I first looked for. It was a CMMG DPMS barrel.

BTW where can I get some new pins quickly?  I want to finish my project.

The pins were rounded on both sides so I elected not to use the use the dimple punch first, but after that failed I used a flat punch.

There out now, but I wouldn't take that on again if I could avoid it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I had tried beating the hell out of mine on an AK and even a torch and it wouldn't move.

Shot it with Kroil and two hours later it popped right out.

On an AR double check on the taper pin problem posted above.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#11]
The pins still will not budge. To negate the mushrooming effect, I have Dremeled one flush and have tried to use a 1/8" flat punch but it still will not move.What kind of place is likely to have a mill? Any other ideas? I wish I had kept my RAS2 at this point...
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:16:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Oh Yeah - Bushmaster HBARS are a REAL bear.  It took lots of hitting with a 4lb hammer, penetrating oil, and the proper punch to move the pins.

That explains why the fuckhead of a gunsmith banged the hell of the FSB in his attempt to loosen for gas tube removal.

Any ideas why he had to put that nasty sctatch under the handguards?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:18:20 PM EDT
[#13]
sovereign

Check you email.  Tried to IM, but you don't accept them.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is one side larger?

Some of the RRA barrels I have seen have straight pins on the FSB.  Colts and Bushmasters are taper pins for sure.

LMT uses straight pins too (at least mine did)
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:06:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I've said it before, if it was your barrel I was hitting and you saw how hard I hit the pins the first couple of times, you'd sh!t yourself.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:34:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:02:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Tag-os Rancheros.  This one just got bookmarked.  Thanks, Troy.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
First, you'll NEVER get them out with WOOD under the barrel.  That wood is soaking up all the energy and dissipating it.  You need a SOLID (i.e., steel) back support.

I found a great trick.  Get a 4mm socket from a socket set, and stick the back side of the pin in the 4mm hole.  Now when you whack the other side with the punch, all the energy is focused (by the socket) to the FSB around the pin.  The socket needs to be on concrete at least.  A steel "anvil" is better (a vice, for example).  It's much easier with a helper to hold the upper for you.

Use the larger of your hammers.  2 lb minimum.

-Troy

GRRRRR!!!!

Mongo uses wood, as well as every other depiction I have seen. How the hell do you hold the barrel balanced on a 4mm socket while at the same time going for that home run swing with a 2-5lb. hammer?!?! This is a barrel only- no upper is installed yet. I am having enough trouble with the barrel completely isolated so that when I am swing the hammer I don't have to worry about the barrel getting all squirrelly on me. And what about the socket on the other side? Won't that really screw up even more of the finish? Especially with a few slips thrown in?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:18:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll tell you what I did. I was friends with the guy at the gun store and went in one day and asked him to do it for me, and he and I went in back and I held the upper in place while he went at it with different punches and other stuff that gunsmiths have access to, finally the pins came out. He didn't charge me, but I wouldn't have cared even if he had. Sometimes it's better to just bite the bullet rather than jack up you sight post even more.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:52:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I think you should buy a front sight base from Bushmasters, and have them put it on. I spoke with Tom Barr, a high up mucky-muck over there and he says "that putting on the sight base is a real bitch, and they've rigged up a special jig to put it on."
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:51:54 AM EDT
[#22]
This is all I've ever used, on a work bench, of course.  I start them with the big punch and hammer and finish them with the proper sized punch and regular hammer.  The rubber mallet is used to tap off the FSB when the pins are removed.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:39:26 AM EDT
[#23]
I have had great luck using a 20 ton press. With proper barrel support the pins pop right out. It usually takes 5 minutes to get both pins out. No scratches, dings or problems.

Mike

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:44:10 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I have had great luck using a 20 ton press. With proper barrel support the pins pop right out. It usually takes 5 minutes to get both pins out. No scratches, dings or problems.

Mike

Properly supported and held plumb, the press is a very good way to go.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:43:05 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
First, you'll NEVER get them out with WOOD under the barrel.  That wood is soaking up all the energy and dissipating it.  You need a SOLID (i.e., steel) back support.

I found a great trick.  Get a 4mm socket from a socket set, and stick the back side of the pin in the 4mm hole.  Now when you whack the other side with the punch, all the energy is focused (by the socket) to the FSB around the pin.  The socket needs to be on concrete at least.  A steel "anvil" is better (a vice, for example).  It's much easier with a helper to hold the upper for you.

Use the larger of your hammers.  2 lb minimum.

-Troy

GRRRRR!!!!

Mongo uses wood, as well as every other depiction I have seen. How the hell do you hold the barrel balanced on a 4mm socket while at the same time going for that home run swing with a 2-5lb. hammer?!?! This is a barrel only- no upper is installed yet. I am having enough trouble with the barrel completely isolated so that when I am swing the hammer I don't have to worry about the barrel getting all squirrelly on me. And what about the socket on the other side? Won't that really screw up even more of the finish? Especially with a few slips thrown in?

I've used wood as well. Just under the FSB but not under were the pins will come out. One thing I do which seems to help is I clamp the FSB to the wood and the bench which keeps it from moving around. By doing it that way, you greatly reduce the "bounce" effect so more energy will go the the inpact point and you are less likely to tear up the surrounding FSB.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:52:04 AM EDT
[#26]
A press is a great idea. Try taking it to an automotive repair shop and see if they can help you. I think a press is your only option. Good luck and thanks for the M4 barrel!! You're right it was an easy install.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:01:09 AM EDT
[#27]
OK, I've had it. I placed the barrel across 2 aluminum vise blocks on a concrete floor. My friend put his foot on the FSB which had a block underneath it and then held the barrel down on the blocks with his hands. The punch then bent to a 45 degree angle on the 2nd strike of the hammer. Time for a mill...
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:13:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:15:24 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
It's all about focusing that energy on the pin, while preventing the FSB from moving with the blow of the strike.

-Troy

Finally, the right words to what I have been thinking and trying to say all along.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#30]
WOW! just checked back in here. This thread really took off.

I drilled my pins out with a slightly smaller than size drill bit! THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED!!! BUT I DID GET THE LITTLE BASTARDS OUT IN MY CASE!
You can ruin a good barrel this way if your not real careful.  Anyway drill press would be best and you don't have room for much error. But I did manage to get mine out with hand drill and ordered new pins.  I didn't FUBAR the holes and the new pins fit right in.  

I'm back in business, but sovereign man I feel for ya!  I had this sinking feeling when I started marking up my front sight base and dremeling it.  Honestly if I couldn't get them out like everyone else has with not much effort I'd probably drill it out.  But if you do..... you best be real careful.

Let me guess you took off your RAS and were going with a 58 MOD?

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I drilled my pins out with a slightly smaller than size drill bit! THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED!!! BUT I DID GET THE LITTLE BASTARDS OUT IN MY CASE!

How the hell did you drill the pins out?! Without a press? I just mailed the barrel off to have the pins milled out.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Trust me... it was UGLY.  I pinned the barrel in a vice dremeled the heads off. the surface was flat so I used a marking punch to make a ref mark in the pin.  Then very very carefully worked the drill until I got it going.  I was LUCKY!  Drill press would have been the best way for me to go, but I was pissed off and don't have a drill press!!!  By the time I got done banging on it I would have just about cut the frecking FSB off just to win the argument.

anyway I was lucky went straight thru. pull the remaining parts out cleaned it up. some touch up paint for the FSB, new pins and I'm back in business.

Not a recommended solution, but it's done now.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:19:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I have this task ahead of me this week. Never attempted before. Some of you have said how nice a press would be; well, I have access to a press. So, would you guys reccommend trying it with the press first, or go ahead with the hammer and punch method. Either way its coming off, just looking for some guidance from those who have done both.Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:14:14 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I have this task ahead of me this week. Never attempted before. Some of you have said how nice a press would be; well, I have access to a press. So, would you guys reccommend trying it with the press first, or go ahead with the hammer and punch method. Either way its coming off, just looking for some guidance from those who have done both.Thanks.

I would go with the press. I've had much better luck with the press vs. a hammer. Good luck.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:28:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Here's what I did with one that didn't want to come out.  I have a Stanley Nail set that has the ends concaved.  I used the largest one and put a block of wood under the the sight so it was well supported.  The chamber end was clamped to help stop it from moving around.  I used a regular nail hammer.  The I proceeded to scratch the hell out of the FSB without moving the pin because the nail set kept sliding off the pin every time I'd hit the thing.  So I decided to flip the nail set around and gave it a few good wacks.  That worked like a charm.  The larger flat area didn't slide off pin like the other end.  Then I use punch to finish the job.  I don't think it will work for you because you already dremeled the end flush.

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:22:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Update guys. Well I'm too hard headed to wait to use my buddys' press, so I went ahead and tried the punch/sledge method, planning on quitting if it didnt work first few times and wait for the press.  I hit the living piss outa them pins the first time,..... and they came out no problem.  I rigged up a jig outa wood that held the barrell and reciever tight and allowed room for the pins to come out, clamped everthing to the jig, and clamped the jig to my workbench. Took a larger flat punch, whacked it with a 2lb sledge as hard as I could, popped em right out on the first hit of each. I then used a smaller punch to tap em out the rest of the way. Then used a rubber mallet to hit the Barrel out of the FSB, luber' up good first. After building the jig, it was a 2minute process. Most importantly, dont be a pansy about it and you'll be cool. (Edited to add that this was on a Bushy M4, if that matters)
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:24:51 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Update guys. Well I'm too hard headed to wait to use my buddys' press, so I went ahead and tried the punch/sledge method, planning on quitting if it didnt work first few times and wait for the press.  I hit the living piss outa them pins the first time,..... and they came out no problem.  I rigged up a jig outa wood that held the barrell and reciever tight and allowed room for the pins to come out, clamped everthing to the jig, and clamped the jig to my workbench. Took a larger flat punch, whacked it with a 2lb sledge as hard as I could, popped em right out on the first hit of each. I then used a smaller punch to tap em out the rest of the way. Then used a rubber mallet to hit the Barrel out of the FSB, luber' up good first. After building the jig, it was a 2minute process. Most importantly, dont be a pansy about it and you'll be cool.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.........................seems like I've heard this before somewhere.........................just can't remember where.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Yup. Forgot to thank the guys on this board, without your help i would have donated a paycheck to the gunsmith and no I wont donate one to you guys.  I'm still amazed at how easy this was, totally amazed!
Link Posted: 1/14/2005 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Well, I suppose I will learn not to doubt Troy sooner or later. I tried his method on another new Colt barrel, this one being a 20" Gov't profile. I had a friend hold the barrel and I lined up the pins on the 4mm socket which was placed on top of the flat portion of my bench vise. Using the 2lb. hammer and literally 2 whacks on each and they popped free. I think this method should be tacked as the end all for removing FSB pins. There is ZERO bounce and no energy being soaked up by a bench or wood etc. Of course you do need an extra pair of hands, but damn are they worth it. From now on I would not think twice about removing a FSB. It took awhile and a lot of searching to get to this point. A lot of the info out there recommends using brass punches and itty bitty hammersWTF! So, hopefully those that are looking forward to (or not) removing a FSB will be able to find this post, and see what I have been through. Save yourself the trouble and use Troy's method.
Link Posted: 1/14/2005 12:15:36 PM EDT
[#40]
My $.02.

I've had to do this twice, and had no problems.  Here's how.
  • Put the barrel on a CONCRETE FLOOR.  Pad it with material that is non-spongy/springy.
  • Rest the side of the place where the pins go on a piece of OAK or other VERY HARD WOOD
  • Take the biggest sledge hammer you have.  Not a carpenter's hammer, a real pile driver.
  • Put the point of a strong nail set on the small end of the pin (if tapered)
  • Hold the sledge hammer about 12" behind the head
  • You don't need a big swing.  Just raise the hammer up a ways and bring it down as fast and as hard as you can on the nail set.  You want all the weight and energy of that big heavy hammer driving right through the concrete floor.
  • The pin will be driven out into the wood, which will split.
This is pretty-much what everyone alse has said.  Just one more voice in the chorus of "you CAN do it."

C_M
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#41]
all that being said.....question for you RKI's...

If you have to go to a bigger sized pin to get the FSB back securely on the barrel, would it be better to drill and tap the holes so you could put some screws in there, or would it be better to get oversized pins and just beat 'em back in???
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 3:57:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Carbine_Man's method works great.  I was holding the other end of the barrel and he was wielding the sledge> Popped right out.

He's da man!!

Did a good job on installing a FF tube too!

Carbine_Man, you missed a great gathering in the woods this weekend.

Link Posted: 6/17/2005 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Hmm.  I might need some more tools.  I have the same problem.  I have tried heating it and I just soaked it in fp-10 which isn't going to do anything.  Personally, I don't care about the FSB itself which is why I'll dremel it off if I have to.

Which side to hit from?  The pins are actually out farther on the side opposite of the selector.  I can't tell how tapered they are, even if they are.  This is a Colt match target m4.  I have some new sights here and I need to get this mofo off.

Sounds like I need a small sledge
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#44]
I used wood to brace my Colt Hbar barrel, and a standard hammer.  It was not easy to remove the taper pins but eventually they did break loose. I found if you really targeted the pins, each blow seamed more effective. BTW does anyone know of a product I can use to return the taper pinheads back to their original Colt Grayish finish?
MB
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 4:25:18 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Which side to hit from?

The taper pins come out the same way your pivot and takedown pins do--left to right.
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 4:26:01 PM EDT
[#46]
I removed the FSB.

Keep in mind I didn't care about it and I wasn't going to put up with the frustration of screwing around with this for days of frustration.

2 cuts on either side of the block/sight rings, slowing cutting deeper as close to the barrel as possible did it.  I made sure I got close but not *too* close as I didn't want to screw up the finish on the barrel.  After getting it cut, I put it on a block of wood and gave it 2 good bashes with the 3lb hammer.  The FSB broke and torqued right on the weakened areas and came right off.  I didn't scuff the finish or do anything I wasn't intending to.

I have a new block w/flip sight that doesn't require pins (thank God) and I'm going to install that tomorrow morning along with a few other things before I head off to the range.

I know most people don't want to destroy this thing but if you are alone and want to get it done in a hurry the "drill" method and the cut method work if you are *real careful*.

I really looked it over and the pins weren't obviously larger on one end, even after looking carefully so it was anybody's guess as to how I was going to get these things off (especially since this is my first build and I hadn't seen it done before).
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 2:39:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 11:19:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Since this thread will eventually vanish, and your link is the FAQ, I've added new photos to that thread.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 11:55:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top