Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2005 12:01:41 PM EDT
First built my M4gery in 1992 with all Bushmaster parts.  Over the years have replaced with Colt's parts as they became available.  At this point this M4gery is all Colt's circa 1995, the year the M4 Carbine was adopted Standard A (other then the Colt Defence M4 Carbine lower).

Far as I can tell regular production under contract started in 1994 with the first 2,000 delivered with the M16A2 type upper receiver.  In 1995 the US Army standardized the flat top upper receiver, and specified it's use in all M4 Carbines.  In these early years after the adoption of the M4 small deliveries were made to each Infantry Division, with the priority going to SOF type units.

Over the years I had added a Knight's RAS, and a Aimpoint CompM/XD.  Recently built a M4A1 clone (details here):

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=229465

So I went ahead and sold the RAS and Aimpoint and returned the older M4gery back to what it was, basically stock as delivered.  Here are some pics and details:

Mid 90's Colt's had a dark matte gray anodizing, and small steel parts were mostly done up in a dark gray parkerzing.  Along with darker furniture the rifles were better matching in color then later Colt's.

Early carry handle with "circle A1" forge code.

Early M4's were stamped either M4 or 4 above the gas tube hole in the receiver.  This one is simply marked 4.

Early front swivel was two side, one side for skinny profile, the other for larger diameter.

Early M4 handguards were a much darker black then current ones.  Heat shields were not glued in at the time.

1995 production M4 Carbines bolts were marked MPC with the C below the MP.  A standard blue extractor buffer and spring were used.  Later M4 Carbines used a standard spring with black buffer, and current production is black buffer with gold spring.

Close up of barrel markings, and muzzle attachments.  On this project I used a standard flash hider, Smith jam nut, A1 washer, and peel washers to get past 16", and silver soldered on.

N stamp common on Colt's buttstock of this type.

Link Posted: 3/30/2005 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Ekie, very nice M4 carbine if I might say so myself.

I just wish that I could take photos half as well as yours.
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#2]
very nice....
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
very nice....

Great pictures!
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Authentic as usual Ekie !!
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 2:26:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nice job and great photos......Thanks for sharing

CD
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 3:19:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Very nice as always Ekie!
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 4:18:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Your gun safe must be a sight to behold as I've seen other rifles you've posted pics of.  This one looks super also.

The knowledge inside your head is also something to behold.   It's nice to get some background on small details.

Thanks,
Scott
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 5:01:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Reverse  dARwinism eh?........Like it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 8:41:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys.

Quoted:
Your gun safe must be a sight to behold as I've seen other rifles you've posted pics of.  This one looks super also.
Scott

Probably no surprises in the safe, think I got them all plastered on the net at some point.

Quoted:
The knowledge inside your head is also something to behold.   It's nice to get some background on small details.

Thanks,
Scott

Am into the details, I wish more guys would share info rather then being cryptic or just keeping it to themselves.

Quoted:
Reverse  dARwinism eh?........Like it.

From this (don't have any good early pics of it with the A2 upper receiver):

And morphed to this at the apex:

And ended up like this:

So yeah, I guess you could call that reverse dARwinism.  With the fully decked out M4A1 clone, I figure it was nice to have one "stock".
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#10]
the life of an M4 comes full circle.
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 9:21:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 9:57:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Beautiful, as usual.
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 10:25:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Beautiful, just beautiful!  
Link Posted: 3/31/2005 5:42:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
That's interesting work with the flash suppressor, I had to look twice.  Very nice looking weapon

Well thanks.  This one did not need refinishing after heating it up, so that makes it look much more authentic.
Link Posted: 4/12/2005 10:24:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Great looking rifle Ekie.

Question for ya. With the peel washer, crush washers and Smith jam nut, how much thread do you have left for the flash hider in there?
Link Posted: 4/12/2005 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#16]
That carbine is a beautiful sight Ekie-though I'm not surprised

I have always admired your attention to detail. Authenticity is something I'd like to strive for in my own projects, but I lack the historical knowledge to go about it properly. I'm about to build an XM177 clone for example, and although I have plenty of pics to go by they aren't detailed enough to give me the small markings that make your projects so appealing.

Thank you sharing these projects. They have given me lots of inspiration along the way.
Link Posted: 4/12/2005 11:08:20 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Great looking rifle Ekie.

Question for ya. With the peel washer, crush washers and Smith jam nut, how much thread do you have left for the flash hider in there?

Did not measure it, but I bet there was only about half the thread left.  You can get the idea here by taking a USGI flash hider by itself, and threading it onto 14.5" barrel till the length hits right at 16.1" or so, and look at how much thread is left behind the flash hider.  There are some here that have stated that they are not comfortable with the limited thread engagement you get with such a set up, obviously I am fine with it.

Quoted:
That carbine is a beautiful sight Ekie-though I'm not surprised

I have always admired your attention to detail. Authenticity is something I'd like to strive for in my own projects, but I lack the historical knowledge to go about it properly. I'm about to build an XM177 clone for example, and although I have plenty of pics to go by they aren't detailed enough to give me the small markings that make your projects so appealing.

Thank you sharing these projects. They have given me lots of inspiration along the way.

All the details add up, and make a difference.  Am also working on a XM177E2, but still need a barrel, upper receiver, lower receiver, and a look alike muzzle do dad.  Am having no luck with the upper, and have no intention of getting a real barrel, will probably cut down a SP1 "CAR-15" barrel down to 12".  The proper bolt groups are available right now, so you better snag one while you can:

www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=6559312

BTW, I found a real set of XM177E2 handguards, NIW, but they are like $250, if anyone wants it, let me know he might still have it (I am going to just use a late set off SP1 Carbine take offs).
Link Posted: 4/12/2005 2:51:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/13/2005 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Great thread/info., Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/13/2005 10:42:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Tagged in hopes of my home connection letting me see the pics.

Link Posted: 4/13/2005 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#21]
very nice
Link Posted: 4/13/2005 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Where the hell do I get one of those sling swivles?

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/13/2005 11:04:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/13/2005 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#24]
good looking carbine
Link Posted: 4/13/2005 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Where the hell do I get one of those sling swivles?

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/Ekie12091941/1995M4gery03.jpg

I have had that part for a very long time, don't recall where I got it.  They were standard issue for years, for use with the M203 on both the M16A1 and A2, and as far as I know Colt's M4 Carbine were delivered from the factory with those.  Not sure where to get one now.
Link Posted: 4/13/2005 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#26]
That's the problem. I've got an M203 so my bottom swivel is useless, and I bought a "Mikes" or something sling swivel, but it's too thick to go under the gas block, so I had to mount it in front of the gas block and it moves all over the place and scratches up my barrel

If anyone knows a place to get one that'll fit on the barrel section inside my gas block, let me kno.

Link Posted: 4/13/2005 12:00:08 PM EDT
[#27]
nice gun
Link Posted: 4/13/2005 12:11:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
That's the problem. I've got an M203 so my bottom swivel is useless, and I bought a "Mikes" or something sling swivel, but it's too thick to go under the gas block, so I had to mount it in front of the gas block and it moves all over the place and scratches up my barrel

If anyone knows a place to get one that'll fit on the barrel section inside my gas block, let me kno.

www.toysareforboys.com/mags/gunsnmags.jpg

Ah, OK, well the current production part is easy enough to find.  It works the same.  I bought some like new take off's from Colt's rifles for like $25 each a month or so ago off the EE.  Can't find the thead now, but am sure someone around here knows what I am talking about?

I have one on this rifle:

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=229465
Link Posted: 4/13/2005 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

BTW, I found a real set of XM177E2 handguards, NIW, but they are like $250, if anyone wants it, let me know he might still have it (I am going to just use a late set off SP1 Carbine take offs).

Well, turns out they are XM148 handguards, and they are $300.  So, if anyone has a XM148 and needs handguards, let me know, LOL.
Link Posted: 4/13/2005 7:08:54 PM EDT
[#30]

Nice rifle!

Nice pics!
Link Posted: 4/13/2005 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

www.toysareforboys.com/mags/gunsnmags.jpg

Try Bushmaster.

ETA:

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/slings/12598617k.asp
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 2:27:31 PM EDT
[#32]
It doesn't say what size the sling swivel is... I have a Specter Gear CQB 3 point tactical sling (#009ERB) and I think it's 1.25" wide... I guess i'll call bushy and ask.

Link Posted: 4/14/2005 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Far as I can tell regular production under contract started in 1994 with the first 2,000 delivered with the M16A2 type upper receiver.  In 1995 the US Army standardized the flat top upper receiver, and specified it's use in all M4 Carbines.  In these early years after the adoption of the M4 small deliveries were made to each Infantry Division, with the priority going to SOF type units.

I'll vouch for that...in 1995 the Army sent my reserve unit to Haiti.  The Special Forces guys had M4's, mostly with fixed carry handles. Everybody else had M16A2's.  And everybody had iron sights only.
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#34]
bushmaster carries that clamp on sling swivel.  there is a steel and an aluminum version.  one is about $10 more than the other.  

That's the problem. I've got an M203 so my bottom

I would stick with "Grenade Launcher"    

"M203" is really stretching it...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top