Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/24/2005 9:30:22 PM EDT
These have carbine length bbls' of 16 inches correct?

Does it move the front sight out farther over M4 style to offer a longer sight radius?

Does the gas tube then become longer to meet the FSB?

Does this put less stress on the weapon as compared to an M4 but more than a 20'?

Does a bayo fit these?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 9:32:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 10:15:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yes, yes, yes and yes.

a shameless +1
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 10:20:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, the bayonet will go on the end of the bbl and lock, but it will not fit correctly.  It is actually about 1/2 inch off and the bayo will not lock up on the flash suppressor where it is supposed to, and will be a little loose.

So, yes, yes, yes, yes, and almost yes.

HTH.
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Well many thanks to all those who've replied!

I greatly appreaciate it.

This little thing might be my next build, but are these all really backordered? I want an RRA bbl assembly. What do you think the wait is on these?
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 3:58:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yes, the bayonet will go on the end of the bbl and lock, but it will not fit correctly.  It is actually about 1/2 inch off and the bayo will not lock up on the flash suppressor where it is supposed to, and will be a little loose.

I've never seen a tight fitting bayonet...  The hole is oversized so it can be fitted quicker if it's needed...  not something you would want to be fumbling around with in a do or die situation IMO...
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 4:14:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

This little thing might be my next build, but are these all really backordered? I want an RRA bbl assembly. What do you think the wait is on these?

I had to wait 4 weeks
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 4:15:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Check ADCO, I think they might have some in stock...
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 9:00:03 AM EDT
[#8]
These have carbine length bbls' of 16 inches correct?

Yes.

Does it move the front sight out farther over M4 style to offer a longer sight radius?

Yes, the front sight base is closer to the muzzle.

Does the gas tube then become longer to meet the FSB?

Yes.  Also, longer handguards are required.  

Does this put less stress on the weapon as compared to an M4 but more than a 20'?

Yes, it cuts gas port pressure by about 25%.  And the carbine DOES operate more smoothly as a result.  It feels more like a 20" rifle.

Does a bayo fit these?

Man, if someone is close enough to use a bayonet on, you shoulda shot him already.  If you are out of ammo, well, no true ARFCOMMER would run out of ammo in a SHTF situation.  Bayonets make good figting knives, but you have to take them off the rifle first.  Duh!

Link Posted: 4/25/2005 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I'm gonna get one for my next build too. Somthing has to sit on top of that RRA lower I got in Princeton

IM sent with someone you should get in contact with if you want one now.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've never seen a tight fitting bayonet...  The hole is oversized so it can be fitted quicker if it's needed...  not something you would want to be fumbling around with in a do or die situation IMO...

Here is how an M9 Bayonet fits on a 14.5" M4 barrel

Here is how an M9 Bayonet fits on a 16" barrel with a mid-length gas system

As you can see, the "hoop" comes to rest over a different part of the FH on a Middy then it does on a standard M4 but neither one is any tighter than the other and both would work just fine for their intended purpose.
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 7:02:54 PM EDT
[#11]
nice comparison pics.
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Thank you for the pics!!
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 12:27:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice pics; is that a Lan-Cay bayonet (I think that's the name).
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 1:23:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Is there less felt recoil with a longer gas system?
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 3:05:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Nice pics; is that a Lan-Cay bayonet (I think that's the name).

You guys are welcome but I sure wouldn't call them nice pics, just the best I could do with the photo skills and camera I have

Anyway, yes, the bayonet is a LanCay M9.

Quoted:
Is there less felt recoil with a longer gas system?

The longer gas system does have a "softer" gas pulse. It's not a huge difference but enough that I can feel the difference.

In fairness, my middy has a A1 stock with a rifle buffer and my carbine uses a Vltor with an "H" buffer. I recently put together another lower with a CMT stock and H-Buffer. I plan on using my middy upper on it and then shooting them side by side for a closer comparison.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top