Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/15/2005 4:22:10 PM EDT
At the end of May, I got the FDCC lower I ordered, and decided to build a lightweight rifle with it.  Over the past few weeks, with New-arguy's help, I got a light weight Bushmaster barrel and C7 upper from the Equipment Exchange, and a Colt shaved bolt carrier (lightweight), also from the EE.  I was able to get an Armalite bolt from New-arguy.  I used the adjustable stock from my Bushmaster M4 (which I replaced awhile ago with an LMT Crane stock), the trigger assembly from my A4 (which went from the A4 to my recce rifle and was then replaced there with a Chip McCormick trigger). The Hogue grip came from my A4, as well.  All the remaining bits and pieces are Rock River.  Oh, and of course it has an ambi-catch and ambi-safety.  I will be adding a compact ACOG as soon as possible.  Right now the rifle weighs in at just barely under 6 lbs.  I'm pretty happy with it.  Thanks for all your help, New-arguy.

All the parts lying on the counter at Gun Gallery, Jacksonville, FL.

Another view of some of the parts-the lower and grip.

The stock.

The upper.

Coming together....

Almost done...

New-arguy wiping the rifle down after putting it together.

Close-up of the scale.

Rifle sitting on the scale - weighing in at just under 6 lbs.

Yay!! Proud owner of a light weight rifle! standing next to Tactical Matt (who lives at Gun Gallery).
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Excellent - enjoy!

Good Luck,

Lion_dog
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 4:42:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Being a recent light weight convert, I say good job.

Neil's looking better these days - did he get a hair cut or something...............new hat and sunglasses maybe????
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 4:43:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Very nice!  The older I get, the more I like 'lightweight.'  

Be sure and let us know how it shoots!
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 5:09:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 5:09:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks good, but what made you pick the newer heavier stock over the older lighter version?  

Just curious, I know some people hated the old style while others still love them.
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 5:11:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks good.

The rifle looks pretty good, too.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Looks good, but what made you pick the newer heavier stock over the older lighter version?  

Just curious, I know some people hated the old style while others still love them.

I picked the newer, heavier stock because I already had it!  I'll gladly accept an older, lighter one from anyone who offers! or wants to trade, for that matter.

Seriously, I will probably try to shave an ounce or two off the weight any way I can, and when I run across the lighter stock at a good deal, I'll switch.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 5:26:47 PM EDT
[#8]
looks great! hopefully next time we come down mine will be built and Trish's will actually work properly.

-Jeremy
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#9]
A very nice looking build. Congrats
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I forgot to mention that New-arguy took off both sling attachments to help save weight.  I'm wondering if I should have the bayonet lug shaved off, too, to reduce the weight a fraction more.

And thank you all for the kind words.
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 5:38:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I picked the newer, heavier stock because I already had it!  I'll gladly accept an older, lighter one from anyone who offers! or wants to trade, for that matter.

Seriously, I will probably try to shave an ounce or two off the weight any way I can, and when I run across the lighter stock at a good deal, I'll switch.  

Makes sense.
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#12]
What kind of chest rig is Matt wearing?
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Specter MKII, with added Surefire pouch.  Matt wears it when New-arguy doesn't.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks. That's what I thought but it looked like it was coyote in color.

ETA: I see Specter makes them in coyote. Is that one OD or coyote?
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I forgot to mention that New-arguy took off both sling attachments to help save weight.  I'm wondering if I should have the bayonet lug shaved off, too, to reduce the weight a fraction more.

The lug serves no purpose on that weapon, you might as well.
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 5:52:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Sweet lightweight. Maybe you can win the next match with it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks. That's what I thought but it looked like it was coyote in color.

ETA: I see Specter makes them in coyote. Is that one OD or coyote?

that one is coyote
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Sweet carbine! I like to build a light weight carbine (or better yet a middy!) just for S&G's someday. I'm thinking it would make a nice truck\trunk gun.
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Very nice indeed, here's one one of my lightweights

By the way seeing all those black rifles in the background, I wish my local gun shop was stocked as well as that one, it has all the good stuff

Link Posted: 6/15/2005 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#22]
hey, newargirl(or guy)...where is that store ?  in jacksonville?  i live in gainesville and want to come check it out.  looks fun
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 4:05:04 AM EDT
[#23]
CMT is now making and selling a CAR style stock of the same quality and price range as their M4 stock. One of those would work on here nicely.

Link Posted: 6/16/2005 4:05:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
hey, newargirl(or guy)...where is that store ?  in jacksonville?  i live in gainesville and want to come check it out.  looks fun

The shop is Gun Gallery in Jacksonville, FL.  It's a great place, very well-stocked, with friendly and knowledgeable staff.  Open 7 days a week.

Here's the website:

www.gungalleryjax.com
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 4:08:48 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
...  I'm wondering if I should have the bayonet lug shaved off, too, to reduce the weight a fraction more...

On my lightweights, I ground the lug off. And speaking of useless weight, I used slab-side uppers with no forward assist. (Nomex suit on.)
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 4:10:47 AM EDT
[#26]
nice build!

really nice store front you have there, lots of cool gear on display.    wish there was one like it here in houston,tx i'd be all over it.

also noticed the prices are reasonable too, real close to internet prices. the shops around here seem to have a 100% markup.

Link Posted: 6/16/2005 4:23:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 4:39:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Sweet build!!  

Link Posted: 6/16/2005 4:47:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Where can I get one like that!!

Oh yeah, the AR is nice too......
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 5:26:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for the post and pics that's a nice rifle you have there.

I'm a pretty good sized guy, but I've got a Bushy SL barrel on order as an alternative to my HBAR.  I hope it gets here before an upcoming carbine course, less weight is often times better
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 5:42:05 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...  I'm wondering if I should have the bayonet lug shaved off, too, to reduce the weight a fraction more...

On my lightweights, I ground the lug off. And speaking of useless weight, I used slab-side uppers with no forward assist. (Nomex suit on.)

Why you expecting the flames? The FA is pretty useless you are doing press checks often.
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 5:44:49 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why you expecting the flames? The FA is pretty useless you are doing press checks often.

Here's a road we've been down way too many times.
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 6:24:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Great Build!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 7:52:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 8:03:28 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Hang out at the Gun Gallery, thats where I met her!!!

My local shops are filled with self-appointed "experts" who don't know an AK from an AR.  And they're all males.

'Course, most ladies around here have only been exposed to "hunting/sporting" arms.  But they're still pro-gun.  So that's a plus.

ETA: sp

Link Posted: 6/16/2005 11:02:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 11:18:21 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Nice carbine Kerri.

Ditto.

Link Posted: 6/16/2005 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nice carbine Kerri.

Ditto.

Tritto?  (Repeat of the Ditto).
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 1:20:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Beautiful Carbine, Kerri.  Now break out the crayons!
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 1:24:03 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Beautiful Carbine, Kerri.  Now break out the crayons!

I have the REEEAAALLY big box of 96 colors sitting on the kitchen counter right now.  I plan to start coloring tonight.  Neil said you told him a method involving heating the lower with hair dryer after applying the crayon?  I still don't have a color scheme, though.....
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree, no need for a bayo lug, especially on a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#42]
I plan on making a similar rifle, except mine will be on a Cav-15 lower to save a little more weight.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 2:19:42 PM EDT
[#43]
New-arguy will grind down the bayonet lug tomorrow at the shop.  I'll try to get a picture of the process to post.
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I have the REEEAAALLY big box of 96 colors sitting on the kitchen counter right now.  I plan to start coloring tonight.  Neil said you told him a method involving heating the lower with hair dryer after applying the crayon?  I still don't have a color scheme, though.....

I encourage you to use every crayon in that box.  I think you should color all of NewARGuy's lowers too when he's not paying attention.  Might I recommend fuscia?

Anyways, I used a heat gun, which is a glorified hair dryer, to warm up the lower a little bit and to melt the crayon into the grooves.  I basically waved it back and forth over the logo until the lower was just hot enough that the crayon melted a bit on contact.  Once I had a good amount of crayon in the grooves, I hit the logo with the heat gun again just until the crayon melted and flowed evenly in the logo.  I wiped off all the excess with a paper towel, and cleaned the lower with Breakfree.  The crayon has proved remarkably durable, even in the face of GunScrubber.

If you want to borrow the heat gun, I could bring it to the shop tomorrow.  If you're more patient, you could probably acheive the same effect with a blow dryer, it would just take a bit of time.
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 2:26:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Nice!
I've been having the itch to build a lightweight no frills carbine as well(XM177Clone).
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 3:44:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Sweet!

Here's my lightweight (I haven't quite finished it yet).

Link Posted: 6/16/2005 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Sweet...
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Sweet!

Here's my lightweight (I haven't quite finished it yet).

images.snapfish.com/343%3B%3B94%3B23232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E2347%3D%3C78%3D429%3DXROQDF%3E23238%3B4%3C569%3C6ot1lsi

I'll bet yours is lighter than everybody elses right now.
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 5:37:47 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I encourage you to use every crayon in that box.  I think you should color all of NewARGuy's lowers too when he's not paying attention.  Might I recommend fuscia?

Anyways, I used a heat gun, which is a glorified hair dryer, to warm up the lower a little bit and to melt the crayon into the grooves.  I basically waved it back and forth over the logo until the lower was just hot enough that the crayon melted a bit on contact.  Once I had a good amount of crayon in the grooves, I hit the logo with the heat gun again just until the crayon melted and flowed evenly in the logo.  I wiped off all the excess with a paper towel, and cleaned the lower with Breakfree.  The crayon has proved remarkably durable, even in the face of GunScrubber.

If you want to borrow the heat gun, I could bring it to the shop tomorrow.  If you're more patient, you could probably acheive the same effect with a blow dryer, it would just take a bit of time.
www.johnnyego.com/crayola.jpg

Hmmm.... Choices, choices.....

Thank you for the offer of the heat gun, but I've got one...I'll probably bring it and my box of crayons to the shop tomorrow....If you're there, you can direct the operation!  
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top